PDA

View Full Version : Stories

mkemse
01-18-2004, 08:38 AM
I have one favor to ask of all authors, if you start a story, be it good or bad, please finish it, i would rather read a story that isn't all that good in full, then read a great story not finished, if you can't finish what you have started to write, don't post the story at all

thank you

Kallie Thomas
01-18-2004, 09:06 AM
Some people like pat endings, nicely wrapped up with a little bow, all conflicts resolved, all actions come to a neat, sensible conclusion. Others, myself included, prefer some ambiguity, some loose ends. I don't need an author to lead my by the the nose through a story, giving me a clear cut ending that leaves nothing to the imagination.

If an author wants to give us a 17 chapter tome giving the full history of the characters, great! And if an author wishes to give us a brief glimpse into an isolated incident in a character's life, that's great, too! It's all a matter of taste, and what may be an "unfinished" story to you may be a masterful tale to me.

Kallie

mkemse
01-18-2004, 09:10 AM
No Callie,

what i was speaking of and i am sorry for not placing it my message it, alot of authors place at the end of their stories, "To be continued" not to be continued with feedback, but simply "To Be Continued" all i ask of them is they are posting that they will continue the story, please do so, that is all i meant

Aurelius
01-18-2004, 09:56 AM
mkemse wrote:
if you can't finish what you have started to write, don't post the story at all

Whilst your reviews are undoubtedly appreciated by many writers here, your comment rankles with this one.

Remember that we writers are unpaid and have many other calls on our time, such as earning a living, raising families, maintaining the bondage barn ;), etc. If someone has failed to continue their story, perhaps it's because they've found something more rewarding to do with their time? Good luck to him or her.

If a reader thinks a story deserves to be continued how about sending them a nice email as encouragement? I've had a few and really appreciated them.

BTW I LOVE Schubert's unfinished 8th Symphony :). Two more movements would have been nice, but sometimes we must be grateful for what we have.

mkemse
01-18-2004, 10:07 AM
i love beethoven also, the point i was trying to make is if they post to be continued why not finish, i know writers have "lives to live" all i was doing was expressing my opinoin that if they post to be continued, they should, and yes, i have writen many authors regarding this
if my message upset you my apologies

mkemse
01-18-2004, 10:11 AM
Let me please clarify my original post
Yes, authors have lives outside of writing, i know they do not get paid for this, i know this, they also know this, they all have real jobs, i know this, all i was trying to say is if a author posts at the end of the story to be continued, it would be real nice if they found the time to do so
My message was not intened to offend or anger anyone, if you are an author who was offened, hurt or angered by my first post, my aoplogies
And yes, on unfinised to be continued stories, i have writen to authors on this

Aurelius
01-18-2004, 10:21 AM
No apology necessary. I'm not in the least bit upset. I just wanted to make the point.

It's like the guy filling in a job application. He had a previous job at Burger King. In the 'reason for leaving' box he wrote "I needed a reason for leaving???"
Same applies here to writers leaving stories unfinished.

mkemse
01-18-2004, 10:24 AM
thank you and have a wonder day :)

woodsman'sgame
01-19-2004, 06:29 PM
I am guilty as charged. I have not finished Chantelle's Ordeal and it is obvious that it is an unfinished story, but I want to tell my readers that I plan to continue and I have a very good reason for not finishing it up until now. I had some major surgery right before Christmas and had not felt up to writing this type of literature. I lacked the inspiration so to speak. I am almost fully recovered now and will finish Chantelle. I don't like to leave things unfinished, so it has been worrying me greatly. I have decided that I will not submit anymore unfinished stories in the future.

Neopadinski
01-19-2004, 06:39 PM
I am currently writing a story that is, for the moment, unfinished. But every night that I have the chance, I work on the next part in it (currently Part Four, though Jinn hasn't posted Part Three yet). I strongly encourage any and ALL readers of my work to review it!!!! Out of the 10000 readers or whatever it is, I only currently have 8 reviews, if that. But no, this is my first multi-part story, and I fully intend on completing it.

mkemse
01-19-2004, 08:35 PM
Thank you for your replies and habe a great day :)

Escritor
01-19-2004, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by woodsman'sgame
...I had some major surgery right before Christmas and had not felt up to writing this type of literature...

I didn't know!! Hope you're fine and well now!

My best wishes to you, and get well soon :)

Regards

kittenfemme
01-19-2004, 10:34 PM
I almost never write all of a story at once. I'll pen a chapter here or a section there and then move on to another story. I'll do the same with the second story... and the third, and the fourth. I'm currently writing two novels and six short stories that way.

That said, I don't like having my characters wandering around in my head. I like to give them some sort of resolution. Though my endings tend to be more realistic. My stories tend to finish like a day (or several) in the life, ending with someone falling asleep to wake tomorrow rather than the neat package with a bow KT spoke of. But that's just because the neat Hollywood movie ending style bugs me. It's a personal preference. I usually wind up leaving a story at a point where I can pick it up again if I or my Domme desire.

mkemse
01-19-2004, 10:42 PM
what i meant was, i have seen stories that say to be continues but they are dated in 2001 i would not think in most cases a story can't be started and finished at the same time
All i am saying is somewhere along the line i hope if a story is to be contniued that it is sometime

have a great day:)

kittenfemme
01-19-2004, 10:47 PM
Indeed mkemse. I try not to write "To be continued..." at the end unless I honestly plan to write more. I can see how that could be frustrating to a reader.

mkemse
01-19-2004, 10:49 PM
thank you:)

kittenfemme
01-19-2004, 10:54 PM
Out of curiosity, is there a particular story or three you desperately wished to see continued which was marked so? Is there one that broke the proverbial camel's back? Perhaps we could start an e-mail campaign to the author to have it finished, or another author could take up where the first left off? I imagine someone here would be interested in the topic(s) the story involved. Or perhaps you could be the one to complete it... with proper credit given to the original author, of course.

mkemse
01-19-2004, 11:23 PM
thank you have a nice day:)

Lord Douche
01-20-2004, 03:16 AM
First off, glad you've recovered from the surgery, WG.

You see stories all around that aren't finished; it comes with Internet Fiction, so get used to it. I have been to many sites that have stories/fanfiction and there's not very many works that are ever finished; the author only posts one piece and that's it.

Although I never finished my first story, I did put a note in the reviews that I did not intend to continue. However, I fully intend to finish Julie. In fact, I think I'll submit Chapter 15 tonight :) Still debating whether I should leave it open at the end, for a possible sequel.

As for Hollywood endings... the final part of LOTR - Return to the King took ages!

Phoenix
01-20-2004, 04:27 AM
Hi Mkemse, don't worry about it mate. I'm an author and I have a number of irons in the fire. There are times I can't write updates to my stories for weeks, and then there are days where I can write heaps.

I don't think anyone is taking offence at what you said. You have a valid point with authors finishing off stories. I agree, but I also know that I have a number of stories I have yet to finish off. I think it's a combination of time, motivation and can-I-be-bothered-right-now-or-not.

I know when I start something I like to finish it if I'm able. I think most of the authors have that in mind when they start a project.

Cheers,
FB

mkemse
01-20-2004, 04:30 AM
Thank you for your kind words and you support

Curtis
01-20-2004, 04:14 PM
uhm, kittenfemme, as far as getting another author to finh an incomplete story, we had an episode of that about a year ago. The continuation was posted, then Jinn pulled it a couple of weeks later after some protests in the Forum. I believe that at that time a new policy was instituted that continuations of other author's stories will only be accepted if Jinn can be convinced that the original author gave their permission.

Perhaps either Jinn or Tourguide would be kind enough to clarify this point?

Petitioning sounds like a good idea.

kittenfemme
01-20-2004, 05:36 PM
Hmm... 'k, scratch that idea then.

boccaccio2000g
01-20-2004, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Neopadinski

IOut of the 10000 readers or whatever it is, I only currently have 8 reviews, if that.

Well, you are far, far ahead of the average here, then. I was commiserating with a fellow author the other day who was crestfallen because he had only had five reviews (in about 20,000 "hits".)

Trying to cheer him up, I did a little quick research and sorted the database by numbers of 'votes' and found that (as of a few days ago) :

Only 224 of the 2165 stories (a little over 10 %) had as many as seven reviews. Only 506 stories (about 1/4) had as many as five reviews. Only 755 stories (about 1/3) had as many as four reviews.

There were 170 stories (some with upwards of 10,000 hits) with no reviews. (Perhaps a dozen of them were quite recent, and may well be reviewed shortly).

I doubt if more than 1 or 2% of the stories here can boast eight reviews with no more than 10,000 hits. Count yourself among the fortunate.

Boccaccio

nova
01-23-2004, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by boccaccio2000g
Only 224 of the 2165 stories (a little over 10 %) had as many as seven reviews. Boccaccio

wow..."Elena" has had 9 reviews already. i'm suddenly feeling very happy with life!!!

i'm terrible at finishing stories. i start off all fired up and creative, and then it just dies out. i do love "Elena" though, and am very committed to finishing it, but it's going to take time...lol. i have written a number of one-shots whch are posted elsewhere. i do find these easier to write (i.e. i don't have to worry myself about plots and suff!)

Neopadinski
01-23-2004, 06:42 PM
Hm, I suppose so. Still, I do wish more people out there would review what they read. Especially because I specifically asked for people to review my work when they read it...but hey, if my story is good enough to get 8 reviews out of an average 5 or 6, I won't complain.

mkemse
01-23-2004, 06:44 PM
i would love to read and review your stories if you would send me some names

Neopadinski
01-23-2004, 07:51 PM
Why, can't find anything by Neopadinski? Fear not, I will PM you.

mkemse
01-23-2004, 07:53 PM
excuse my ignorance but what is PM ing??

Curtis
01-23-2004, 08:01 PM
A question for the FAQ! PMing is sending someone a personal message.

mkemse
01-23-2004, 08:03 PM
thanks, i realzed that as soon as i posted, how does one track down an author to look at their stories titles

Neopadinski
01-23-2004, 08:21 PM
check PM.

mkemse
01-23-2004, 08:23 PM
i will read and review them tomrrow and sunday getting late where i am

Curtis
01-23-2004, 08:31 PM
Another for the FAQ!

Someone else could probably explain this better than I can, but what I do is go to the Library home page and find the 'search' field near the top. I hit 'advanced search' and it sends me to another page where there are many options for how to search (date, size, story codes, author, etc.). Type in what you guess to be the author's name, scroll to the bottom of the page, then hit 'return' (or 'go', 'search' or whatever the button down there says).

An alternative would be if you're certain about the title of one story the author has posted, in which case instead of hitting 'advanced search', type in the title and you will be taken to a saummary of the story, which includes the author's name. Hit the name and you'll be taken to a list of their stories.

Note Bene: Many authors use different names in the Forum and in the Library (Phoenix and Firebird, Couture and S_Couture, boccaccio and Big Jake, etc.). I just had to use the second method to track down nova, who writes under an entirely different name.

Good luck!

bdsmbill
02-02-2004, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by boccaccio2000g
Well, you are far, far ahead of the average here, then. I was commiserating with a fellow author the other day who was crestfallen because he had only had five reviews (in about 20,000 "hits".)

Yes, this always amazes me. I have a story in the new group posted a couple of days ago. It has been read about 5000 times, but with no votes yet. However, three people have taken the time to write me and tell me they liked it. That's very kind, and I loved getting their emails, but I can't help but wonder why they didn't vote. I wonder if there is something about the voting process that intimidates people. I know that on sites where voting is anonomous (like Literotica) the voting percentage is higher. (Currently 79 votes with 23000 readers -- it's been up there a week or so longer.)

Oh well.

Bill

mkemse
02-02-2004, 12:51 PM
i do read your stories, and when i do , i review, i review every story i read, unless it is so bad i feel like i wasted my time reading it

Master_chris
02-03-2004, 09:45 AM
I do enjoy reading all the differance storys on the fourm, and one little thing does get under my skin,

is then you are enjoying a story, and you finsied reading the lasted posted chapter on the web, and you nothing else, so there you are hanging, waiting for months or even years,

I do understand that the writers do have lives outside the fourm and that they might have just got bord in writing or have moved onto a new story.

One day I would love to write a story about one of my Ex Partners and her dirty habbits, involving BDSM and on how I run into her 'In a Shopping center in the womans sesion of the store'

Lastley to all the writers to home I have read you stroys and havn't posted a review, sorry I will do my best in the futher

Powerone
02-05-2004, 11:01 PM
Also called writers block. I have one story with eight chapters and no chapter for almost a year. Finally going to add to it this week. Took that long to figure out where the story was going.

"is then you are enjoying a story, and you finsied reading the lasted posted chapter on the web, and you nothing else, so there you are hanging, waiting for months or even years, "

Nadia
02-09-2004, 09:34 PM
And to be a little bit honest - I liked the story I wrote. It was my first try and I'm not a writer by any means. Heck, English is not even my first language.
However, I have been reading stories since...well, let's just say that "To Obey" had only 1000000 chapters back then . :-) Some I liked, some I didn't. So finally I got the nerve to write a story. It was actually more like a dare to myself if I have the nerve to do it. Would I really dare to send such an intimate story for everyone to read ?

So I did it, yay for me ! I'm a brave little toaster. But it turns out , I can't write a coherent sentence. My writing is abusive to people. I would like to apologize , I never meant to offend anyone. I now realize that writing is taken very seriously on this website and will stick to reading, not writing. However my writing style is not something I can change, I don't know where my mistakes lie, grammar wise. For me to start writing perfectly, I'd have to go back to school and seriously study English.

So anyway, why this confession ? I don't think I will write anymore chapters, I don't belong in a writer's circle and it was a failed try to act as one.
And it was a little bit embarrasing to find out what people really though about my story, I personally can't wait until this site is updated and my story will be on it's way to obscurity and off the front page :-)

Thanks to everyone who read it and to people who posted reviews. As embarrassing as it was, constructive criticism has never hurt anyone ( although baccaccio - you did make me cry :-))

Nadia

Phoenix
02-09-2004, 10:05 PM
Wow! Did "To Obey" have 1,000,000 chapters ... fuck me, I'm only up to writing chapter 114 right now. ;-)

"To Obey" was the first ever story I wrote. I'm not saying I did it right first time ... people don't realise how long writers really spend on their work: coming up with ideas, writing first draft, proofreading, re-reading, writing second draft, getting someone to proofread it, coming up with more ideas, re-writing the whole bloody chapter, proofreading, etc.

I can easily tell when I've made mistakes in my stories, usually when I read them on line about two weeks after they've been uploaded to the website. Embarrassing ... NOT!!!

Nadia you keep writing stories. I've received fan mail from people saying how amazing it would be to be a writer, it's not that hard but people either don't have the confidence, motivation, guts or even the interest to do it.

So please don't let a little thing like English not being your first language stand in your way. Advertise for a proof-reader ... there are many readers who are more than willing to proof-read your work before you give it to Jinn.

And if it's bad reviews that get you down ... check out my reviews. Some are fucking rude and bloody unfair ... (at least your reviews gave an answer as to why they rated it low) ... but not everyone will like what I write ... however, I secretly know that they are jealous as hell because they don't have the intelligence or the confidence to ever write a story in their lifetime, and post it on the website.

Your friend in the writers circle,
Fire-bird

boccaccio2000g
02-10-2004, 05:02 AM
Originally posted by Nadia

So anyway, why this confession ? I don't think I will write anymore chapters, I don't belong in a writer's circle and it was a failed try to act as one.
And it was a little bit embarrasing to find out what people really though about my story, I personally can't wait until this site is updated and my story will be on it's way to obscurity and off the front page :-)

Thanks to everyone who read it and to people who posted reviews. As embarrassing as it was, constructive criticism has never hurt anyone ( although baccaccio - you did make me cry :-))

Nadia

Nadia, if you're next chapter is as charming and technically correct as your note here, I'll be more than happy to revise the review. Not that you will need me to, because you will probably have several other glowing reviews to help you forget this one unfortunate one. :-)

And if English is not your first language, I tip my hat to you for your courage in trying your hand at this. No one has written the perfect story yet; we're all floundering in the same sea.

Boccaccio

Nadia
02-10-2004, 01:24 PM
Can I just admit first that I'm a little bit star-struck right now?

"To Obey" was a first story I have read on this website. Originally, I was drawn to it because it had an illustration at the end of each chapter. But after awhile, I started to wonder if that mean bitch Ivy will ever get her ass kicked and man...did she ever !

It's probably the only story in the category of "extreme" that I read, otherwise I'm more into lighter, fluffier writings.
Bring on that chapter# 114 ! And gosh darn it ...if in fifty years I'll see a chapter # 1,000,000 - I'll be here in front of a computer with my old lady glasses on !

Thank you for welcoming me to a writer's circle, it's really in honor. Honestly, it's like going backstage at a rock concert !

Nadia

PS. Until recently, I thought the author of "To Obey" was a woman. It's that tricky word " Fire-Bird" that confused me. Hee, I'm such a doofus.

j
02-28-2004, 06:39 AM
I want to come down very, very strongly on the original poster's side.

Unfinished stories are very frustrating. I've even thought of a little 'check' sign to mark those with an actual ending (however open or scrambled) in my private catalogue. But I realize that would be unfair.

Of course writers do it as a hobby. And all kinds of accidents can interrupt their hobby. But in many cases what we have is the literary equivalent of the guy who shoots his wad, turns over and snores. The writer gets to a climax of sorts, then grows completely bored with the story, if not downright hostile. It happens all the time, mainly with male writers!

I understand the lack of feedback is much to blame. Much of my collection comes from outside BDSM Library. Whenever I came upon a hot text with no ending, I spent quite a lot of effort tracking down the author, and doing a lot of indecent coaxing and ego massaging (when I felt it was deserved). Guess what, it worked - sometimes. Somehow this site's review/vote format repels me a bit - maybe if I can bring myself to think of it as a slave's duty...

For the one and only book I wrote, I did not start writing before having a synopsis, character files and background data pat. The reward is then that you can write in any old order, like movies are actually shot. This removes much of the drudgery of going from one scene to the other. But the creative process is different in each of us so there's no rule - except that the prevalence of unfinished stories does not make them any more acceptable. (sorry guys, that book is in French)

This does not make me any less grateful to the writers who grace us with their wicked creations! And even 'endless' stories can be delicious, skill helping...

Spitman
04-03-2004, 02:36 PM
There are many reasons why a story can remain unfinished for a while, and it is a natural part of the creative process. There is also a temptation, if a story was finished, but it was popular, or even just because the writer feels like it, to bring it back to life with a sequel, or even a 'prequel'.

Short stories, and good novels that have a well-constructed and conceived plot, have a beginning, a middle and an end and they feel right that way. There are many good ways to begin or end a short story, or a novel.

When people write erotica, they are often thinking more on the lines of, 'a day in the life', something more like an episode in a television series than a novel. They are focused more on the detailed denoument than any underlying plot that extends beyond the particular chapter or episode. In that case, it is easy to see how a story can become almost endless. When this happens, you need to take a fresh look at the story, decide where it is going and make sure that it actually gets there. Was there a message in the story? Is that clear from the episodes out there? If not, maybe it's time to get round to saying just what that message is. It is better to write something shorter with a message, than something longer without any particular message. A writer should not take reviewers too seriously either. They don't always see, or understand what the message is, perhaps because they are also focusing on the detail of the action rather than its underlying message, but sometimes because they don't share the same perspective as the writer on the subject matter.

Sometimes it is easy to put an idea down in a way that makes it complete in itself, but sometimes we don't do it justice by rushing to finish it. Knowing where the story is going, where it will end, does not mean that every problem will solve itself easily along the way. Posting chapters means that you cannot change direction by going back and writing them again. You have to solve problems by carrying on, which is much more difficult.

I have at present a number of stories that are unfinished, although I believe that what I have shared with people out there was worth sharing as it is. If there is a problem to be solved, I have always preferred to take longer and solve it better, than rush into it. In the end the reader benefits.

There are ideas, stories that pull a writer on. The personalities you create seem at first to have little shape, and even less right to dictate their place in the story, but the power of a writer can be an illusion. When you see a world in your mind with people in it, they appear to behave like real people in their own alternative world, and sometimes it seems as if they are writing it all by themselves. That is where the middle of a story can become very much longer than you had originally intended. You have to keep them in line, and always remember where the story is going to finish up, whether they like it or not!

None of this matches up with the kind of reasons that have been posted here to explain the unfinished story. It is not particularly a result of having other things to do, but sometimes a break is needed before the right idea pops up to create that much needed bridge between the middle of a story and the end.

Problems that arise can be technical in nature, psychological, behavioural or even affected by events in the outside world. I had a story set in Manhatten that seemed inappropriate to continue immediately after September 11.

As readers, here you are fortunate in being able to communicate directly with the writers. You can ask them about a story that appears to have been on hold for a while, and they might tell you the reason. But please try to be patient with them. In the end, their imagination is your entertainment!

mkemse
04-03-2004, 02:41 PM
I realize what you are saying and understand
what i was in reference to is stories that where posted 1-2 maybe 3 years ago with no end, i understand leaving stories hanging but for 2-3 years?? :)

Spitman
04-03-2004, 02:47 PM
My Manhatten story has been hanging for 2-3 years. I have another story that needs about three more chapters to finish it, and I left it on hold because the site where it was posted was not updated for that period of time. There are some excellent stories out there that are enjoyable as they are, but everyone wants a little more - or in some cases, a lot more!

What is important, in the end, is the quality of what we finish up with.

mkemse
04-03-2004, 02:49 PM
Thank you for your reply

Morrighan
04-03-2004, 06:42 PM
I don't know abut the rest, but I've never finished a story in my life. Some, due to lack of discipline, and others, because I don't know where I'm going. Some things posted here are vignettes; simply scenes. "Flesh, Blood, and Bone" is the only one I've posted here thus far, and while this could definitely continue, the continuation would not be something suitable for a BDSM library. None of my stories could be seriously considered a BDSM story, and as those who are reading the stories on this site are looking for a certain subject matter, why waste their time and mine? I have stories upon stories that I would love to post here and get feedback for, but as they do not suit the subject of this site, I don't.

This is not an easy subject to write a plotted story for, at least for me. The BDSM elements tend to overwhelm the rest, or there is not enough BDSM to satisfy what I consider the requirements to be. Any story of mine would have maybe two chapters containing a BDSM scene, tops, and that alone would be a struggle. Most who read stories here, from what I've seen, are looking for erotica, or outright porn. I don't write either.

mkemse
04-03-2004, 06:45 PM
thank you for your reply

Mothbrad
04-08-2004, 05:44 PM
I come down on the side of the OP (sometimes I get frustrated waiting years for new chapters), but I'm also surprised by writers who are able to publish work that they haven't finished yet. I understand the idea of teasing readers by publishing in installments, but I couldn't possibly publish something when I didn't know where it was going.

A big reason for this is that my stories often change shape radically over their writing, and I need to go back to earlier chapters to fill in more details, or change characterisations, so that the later chapters make sense.

mkemse
04-08-2004, 05:47 PM
thank you for your reply

Phoenix
06-30-2004, 02:12 AM
thank you for your reply

Mkemse? ... Are you stuck on a record or something?! ... Honestly, if you can't give something constructive to the forum, just be quiet and stay down the back where no one can see you.

Oh by the way, I saw the review you gave my last story. Mkemse, I'd appreciate it if you actually waited for the remainder of the chapters to be released before making some stupid half cock assessment. Your review only highlights the fact that you can't make an objective observation on a story. All you've given it is a low mark and some dumb comment without any feedback about the story itself.

For someone who is in their 50s, can't you come up with something better than "the rating is very genenrous" ... and bloody hell, there is actually an invention called a spell checker, although after reading some of your other reviews, I certainly wouldn't believe it.

I've worked long and hard on creating, writing and building up the story over the past two months. I've had it proof read by a member of the BDSMLibrary who actually specialises in proofreading as their occupation. I've re-read and re-wrote the story a number of times to get it as perfect as I can.

... and immediately some dufus of a moron comes along and gives it a low rating without even bothering to read it ... why, maybe you were intimidated because it had big words in it. Who knows, who cares!

Mkemse, us writers put A LOT of EFFORT into our work. We don't mind criticism and we do love compliments, but for God's sake, at least put down SOME feedback. If you can't or won't ... then f'cking don't write anymore reviews.

Firebird.

mkemse
06-30-2004, 03:40 AM
I will make sure i never review another story by you

you do not have to read my review but in this country we do have freedom of speech and expression, unless you are not aware of that

Phoenix
06-30-2004, 04:45 AM
Promise?

BTW, the US isn't the ONLY country in the world that has freedom of speech. But you seem to take the freedom to be an asshole to the nth degree.

Good riddance to YOUR reviews.

Lord Douche
06-30-2004, 06:59 AM
Calm it down, guys. Whilst I couldn't agree more with "freedom to be an asshole" with a lot of people, it's more appropriate in a PM than the open forum.

Having posted my own serial story, the method has its own problems and advantages. You get feedback from people straight away on the quality, but things are pretty set in stone. The best way I've found is to keep chapters in reserve, and only post when you're certain of what's going to happen.
That given, it's pretty easy to tell an unfinished story. Usually you can read the chapter titles, or if the Author is good, the reviews, to see what they're doing.

And people do need to lighten up on us Authors, and always remember that just like you're reading it for free, we get nothing out of it than the satisfaction of knowing that people took the time to read, and enjoy or dislike it. Be thankful that you got a part story, rather than none at all. Perhaps instead of being frustrated, you should use the open ending to fuel your own creativeness? :)
LD

Phoenix
06-30-2004, 01:49 PM
H LD, look ... I am angry, not so much for the low rating given to a story I've worked very hard on, but that there was no informative feedback as to why the reviewer felt my story wasn't good. This has been my gripe for a while now. Readers (and authors) can simply make a rating, add in a couple of words and that is suppose to be a review.

A story has a lot of components and it isn't easy getting them to work together. If a part of a story doesn't make sense, needs a spell checker, has bad grammer, doesn't flow, etc ... then fine, but reviewers need to write that in the review. Not just "I don't like it."

Insubstantial reviews like that are a waste of time, energy and don't help anyone, especially the author.

FB

slave ruthie
07-01-2004, 01:30 PM
as a poor speller and an un-finisher i suppose i ahve no right to post to this thread but it saddens me to see ppl getting so aggressive towards each other in the open posts - it doesn't help anybody least of all the fine reputation of the Library which i have coem to love :)

please would ppl keep their spats out of public view? is it too much to ask?

love & respect

ruthie[Phil]
XXXXXX;)

Phoenix
07-04-2004, 03:43 AM
Hi Slave Ruthie,

You're right. This website is brilliant and we shouldn't be aggressive towards each other. I think this is one of maybe two times where I've actually had a go at someone on the internet, but in this case, I feel my point has been made and I'm happy to leave it at that.

Jinn has done a fantastic job with the website and he keeps making improvements everyday. There is a really good supply of pictures available to the paying members, the dungeon for learning, the forums for intelligent conversation, and even a chatroom. And now his new website (BDSM-Illustrated) is looking to be just as popular and I'm very happy to help him build it with extra story writing.

We've got it good people (and subs.) I cannot think of another website which offers so much, and all for so little.

In saying that, this website relies on authors to produce stories. Writing isn't as easy as it sounds. Myself personally, I have to fit it in with work, my family, relatives, sleep, and renovating a house into my 24 hours a day. Sometimes the authors need a break from story cynicism and an occasional pat-on-the-back wouldn't hurt either. We're not all professionals in the story writing business. We just enjoy storytelling. We don't get paid and unfortunately I've seen and spoken to a number of promising authors get shot down in flames on their first story submission. Others however have thrived and gone on to make awesome BDSM literature.

So lets put it this way, if you really like a story ... let the poor old author know. If you don't like it ... ditto. Let them know how good or bad it is, and importantly to help them improve or just put a big darn smile on their faces ... tell them 'why' you like it or where it could be improved.

Jinn. Excellent website mate. You get two thumbs up from the Bird. Your new site is looking awesome and I'm privileged to be on the ground level with it.

Authors. You're the grease that helps drive this website. Each and everyone of you is important, and your work (both good and bad) is appreciated by all.

Anyone else want to cheer on Jinn and/or the authors ... the stage is yours.

Thanks for listening to an old firebird.
FB

slave ruthie
07-05-2004, 05:37 AM
"We've got it good people (and subs.)" - LOL!

love & respect

ruthie aka rotten-speller/unfinisher...and sub
XXXXXX;)

bisarah
07-09-2004, 12:15 PM
i am not sure if this is the place to post this comment or not, but here goes ... i try to review the stories i read that i think are really good. however, sometimes i read stories that contain things i don't find sexually stimulating (snuff, incest, etc.) that are not listed in the little box under the title. i have given some less than good reviews because i didn't like the story and wasn't prepared for the content. i have gotten blasted by a couple of people for giving a poor review. why don't the authors make sure the reader's know up front what the content of their work contains?

JakBird
07-09-2004, 12:52 PM
i have given some less than good reviews because i didn't like the story and wasn't prepared for the content.
That's one of the most useful aspects of posting a review. I don't care much for those subjects either (which severely limits the selections I do look at). No one should complain if your review points out the obvious, and in the process you'll spare the rest of us from making the same unfortunate discovery.

bdsmbill
07-10-2004, 07:35 AM
Well, I agree that authors should be careful to use the correct codes for their stories, so readers can avoid the topics they personally don't enjoy, and also search for those they do find interesting. Like you, I am dismayed when I read a story and find it contains a topic that's a turn-off for me. My list of turn-offs includes snuff, incest, and underage characters.

However, I don't give a bad review on the basis of a missing or incorrect story code. I will mention it in the review, but I base the review on my perception of the quality of the writing, and I do make an effort to explain why I rated it as I did.

i try to review the stories i read that i think are really good. however, sometimes i read stories that contain things i don't find sexually stimulating (snuff, incest, etc.) that are not listed in the little box under the title. i have given some less than good reviews because i didn't like the story and wasn't prepared for the content. why don't the authors make sure the reader's know up front what the content of their work contains?