PDA

View Full Version : Does an interest in BDSM indicate a pattern of abuse in earlier life?

BDSM_Tourguide
01-21-2004, 06:59 PM
Is an interest in BDSM a result of abuse in early life, or is abuse just a factor that many in BDSM lifestyles seem to share?

I have noticed that many people, both dominant and submissive, have had occurences of abuse earlier in their lives. Is a person's interest in BDSM the result of the abuse or is the person simply abused and then becomes interested in BDSM regardless of it?

reverie35
01-21-2004, 07:13 PM
No abuse but I am really hooked.

matte
01-21-2004, 07:25 PM
No. I was never abused ( in any of the possible ways) when I was younger.

Just have deep intense cravings for extremes of sensations, and whilst not a painslut, I'm masochistic and do have high pain threshold (or so I've been told ;) )

I think for me this in direct relation to my getting depression where you don't feel much at all, so I try to make up for it with physical pain, immobilisation with extreme restraint and different sensation play.

alebeard42
01-21-2004, 11:05 PM
I t hink it many cases it does, yes

fetish101
01-21-2004, 11:51 PM
I have, and continue to have very supportive parents and have not been abused in any way. Granted, I cannot consider myself part of the lifestyle, but I am very interested and aroused by it. From taking introductory psych, I do think, in my un-professional opinion, that there is probably very strong psychological support for sexual "deviance" linked to early experiences. It is not a prerequisite though.

slavelucy
01-22-2004, 02:21 AM
Yes, i think there are perhaps slightly too many people involved in BDSM who have suffered some form of abuse, to say there is no correlation at all.

i don't however think that being involved in BDSM 'continues' the abuse cycle in any negative sense, because in my personal experience, it is in the act of submitting willingly to someone whom you trust and who cares about you that the notion of being a victim fades away and is replaced by something entirely different and powerful.

i am obviously less able to comment on the dominant side of things, although it would seem to me that the reverse is almost true in that the dominant almost harnesses a potentially abusive nature to create something that is, again, entirely different.

i am possibly not making much sense, this is a subject that lies quite close to my heart, but to sum up, yes, i think there is a correlation but i don't think it is one that should be viewed as negative or worrying, quite the opposite in fact.

sl

Jones, Nikka
01-22-2004, 04:21 AM
Well... maybe.
I was a victim of physical abuse but it was because I was already into bdsm. My parents thought that they could literally beat it out of me. It may have intensified my masochistic traits, but it definitelly did not cause them.
It did cause a drop in my self-esteem for a number of years which led to several failed relationships, one of which was physically abusive in nature. Also, my first experinces with self-discipline may have mirrored more the abuse than healthy masochistic fantasy. On that front I could say that the original ordeal led to further abuse but it was not a factor in determinating my submisiveness or my addiction to extreme sensations.

Escritor
01-22-2004, 08:54 AM
I don't have a history of abuse either, but still I enjoy submitting. What I like most is to be humiliated (verbally, physically, etc.) and kept in strict bondage, so strict I can barely move, or not move at all.

Regards

redEva
01-22-2004, 01:48 PM
Most people I have met in lifestyle were not abused before becoming interested in BDSM.

I myself was never abused. I have started fantasizing about power control and submission way before any real stress/trauma ever happened in my life (when I was around 4-5 years old).

BDSM_Tourguide
01-22-2004, 02:35 PM
For the people that have been abused previously in their lives, this question is primarily for you:

Do you feel your abuse led to a devaluation of your belief systems and started you down the path to BDSM? If not, do you believe that your abuse led to a devaluation of your belief system and, even though it didn't have anythig to do with your becoming involved in BDSM, do you think it has shaping influences on your relationships at this point in your life?

If you feel your abuse did have something to do with your being turned toward a BDSM lifestyle, do you feel that BDSM might be the healthies thing for you to pursue, in terms of relationships? If abuse supposedly skews a person's patterning of relationships and distorts a person's belief systems, then shouldn't abuse victims seek to pursue relationships that don't seem safe and secure to them?

Aurelius
01-22-2004, 03:29 PM
As this topic is phrased as a serious question, I want to add my tuppence worth. I was definitely NOT abused as a child. I could not imagine being in a more loving home. Even today, 25 years after I left home, I view my parents as role models in many, but not all, ways.

(I must add, in retrospect, I wish they'd made me do my homework!)

Actually I personally know more people who say they were abused as children, than are into BDSM! I truly wish it were the other way round.

boccaccio2000g
01-22-2004, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Aurelius
As this topic is phrased as a serious question, I want to add my tuppence worth. I was definitely NOT abused as a child. I could not imagine being in a more loving home. Even today, 25 years after I left home, I view my parents as role models in many, but not all, ways.

My parents did not get along well with each other, and there was a lot of tension in our house, before they finally split up when I was in my early teens. But neither was ever abusive to any of their children.

I would find it very interesting to know whether any of our siblings share our impulses, but it's rather hard to ask the question without showing one's own hand, isn't it?

Does anyone know if they have close family relatives with similar inclinations?

Boccaccio

Curtis
01-22-2004, 10:11 PM
I do. When we were children my sister and I used to tie up and torture Barbie dolls. When she was in her thirties she wrote three or five pretty good swords&sorcery fantasies, all of them with men who were tortured and, usually, raped.

Her femdomme inclinations aside, it's too bad she gave up writing; she had some real talent.

-angelstar-
01-22-2004, 10:15 PM
i have a question. what is the definition of the word 'abuse' in the context of this thread?

i was just wondering. because, honestly i dont think i am a victim of abuse. my parents love me terribly and are extremely supportive of me and all that...

but, my dad used to believe in corporal punishment when i was younger. ie. the cane.

i believe this is a very common occurence in asian families especially in the region where i live, i.e parents using physical punishment to teach the kids right from wrong.

so yeah, getting caned when i was younger for bad things that i've done. is this or is this not classified as abuse? to me, no i dont think it is abuse, because its just the way things were. but to others, and to some organisations, i believe, this is considered a form of child abuse.

so yeah, just a thought this thread sparked in my head :)

LostOne
01-23-2004, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by -angelstar-

but, my dad used to believe in corporal punishment when i was younger. ie. the cane.

So how do you feel about the cane being used on you in your D/s scenes? I wonder because my dad used his leather belt for punishment and I find myself craving the $15 belt of a Master more than his $250.00 flogger.

I have known many people in BDSM who were abused as kids and it effects the way they scene now. For instance one submissive I met was forced to have anal sex with an uncle. To this day, no matter how deep into sub space she is, if she is touched there she snaps out of it and calls her safe word. She does not believe that the abuse brought her to the life but was in fact the only reason she hesitated as long as she did to get involved. Now she says the abuse and the BDSM scene are 2 seperate things but anything anal is on her list of limits and no-nos.

However, I met a Dom who was molested as a boy. When he was introduced to BDSM he was dead set against it. He said the only reason he would go to D/s clubs with his friend was to help anyone who needed it. He met many submissives who told him they liked being vulnerable and helpless in front of someone and he got involved more because he wanted to protect submissives who so willing put themselves in what could be harm's way. In his case, the abuse was what brought him in. I must say he is wonderful at it too. His ability to take people right to the edge of their comfort zone and never cross the line is unprecedented in my experience. He believes he can sense where the line is because he was taken across it himself. He has never had anyone say their safe word with him but many have told me they love that he can take them as close to it as they fantasized about.

As for me, I used to sneak peeks at my dad's adult magazines when I was a kid. I found the few with people tied up and being spanked more intriguing than the "vanilla" ones. Well, I was raped by a stranger at 16 and shut off my fantasies after that. As time pased and I delt with the rape my fantasies came back but they were a bit darker. I believe I would have gotten involved in BDSM anyway but I also believe the darker side is a resut of the rape.

Karen

LostOne
01-23-2004, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by BDSM_Tourguide
do you feel that BDSM might be the healthies thing for you to pursue, in terms of relationships?
Since I do believe my desire to feel the darker side of BDSM is only due to being raped I have wondered if it is healthy. I have at times felt that it was my fault I was raped. I didn't have to walk down that dark street alone and even knew better. The stange thing is, sometimes, when I am being taken to a dark, scary side of BDSM that makes me shiver and cry, I think about the rape. I don't say my safe word. The Dominant has been the one to stop the scene and hold me and tell me I'm safe and that I'm wonderful. It was theraputic to get that scared and then be comforted instead of just left, hurt and feeling really bad. In that sense it is healthy. It may not be healthy that I will let a Dominant take me that far and do nothing to stop it but that's one reason why I only play with experienced Dominants that I have taken the time to get to know.

Karen

Jones, Nikka
01-23-2004, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by angelstar
i have a question. what is the definition of the word 'abuse' in the context of this thread?... ...so yeah, getting caned when i was younger for bad things that i've done. is this or is this not classified as abuse? to me, no i dont think it is abuse, because its just the way things were. but to others, and to some organisations, i believe, this is considered a form of child abuse.

I do not believe that corporal punishment as a form of discipline can be considered abuse if:
1.-The one being punished understands the nature of her fault.
2.-The one being punished understands that the punishment is a just and deserved consequence of her fault
3.-The punishment is commesurate to the fault and to the one being punished.
In my personal experience, the punishment I suffered did not meet even one of these conditions, so yes, I considered it abuse.

-angelstar-
01-23-2004, 02:33 AM
Originally posted by LostOne
So how do you feel about the cane being used on you in your D/s scenes? I wonder because my dad used his leather belt for punishment and I find myself craving the $15 belt of a Master more than his $250.00 flogger.

i guess i'm the exact opposite :p

although i do fantasize about getting caned. i constantly refuse to allow him to use a cane on me. i guess, perhaps its because i dont like pain. and i know how a cane hurts, hence my refusal.

although he probably spanks me much harder with his hand, i guess, its just a psychological thing.

AndrewBlack
01-23-2004, 04:43 AM
It's diffcult to define abuse in that sense, certainly legally in the UK that is, caning is classed as assault and the parent could be prosecuted; so in that sense it is 'abuse'. If you choose to see it as the disciplining act of a loving father then I guess it isn't. I suppose it's how you interpretted it that counts the most.

I have certainly never been abused and had a healthy upbringing as far as I can tell. I have met several people who harmed themselves (more of an obsessive behaviour than because it turned them on though) who had been quite seriously abused as children though.

Cleo671
01-23-2004, 05:22 AM
Abuse is a relative term for every individual.
What one person sees as being abusive, might not be seen as being abusive by another person.
Parents might not be abusive, but subsequent experiences might contain an element of abuse which might or might not be distinguished as abusive.

BDSM_Tourguide
01-23-2004, 08:31 AM
Abuse, for the purpose of this thread is the specific dictionary definition.

Abuse n.

To hurt or injure by maltreatment; ill-use.
To force sexual activity on; rape or molest.
To assail with contemptuous, coarse, or insulting words; revile.

I don't find corporal punishment to be particularly abusive, if it's not excessive. However, before that debate heats up, I must remind people that this thread was not opened for the purpose of debating corporal punishment. I have to ask those that wish to debate that subject to open a thread for that purpose.

LostOne
01-23-2004, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by AndrewBlack
If you choose to see it as the disciplining act of a loving father
Interesting statement. I hope I am not leaving the original topic of the thread with this but I think it fits.
I did see my dad's corporal punishments as the act of a loving father. Could that be the reason that BDSM appeals to me?

When I did do something that my parents decided I should be punished for they would not send me to my room or yell or hit me in anger. Instead they would sit me down and discuss the situation with me. Explain to me what I did wrong and why it was wrong and what the punishment would be. Then, after the punishment was given, they would keep me sitting with them till I stopped crying and they were sure I undertood that they still loved me. If the punishment included being grounded then the grounding was only lifted after another discussion and them reaffirming they loved me. Aren't those considered good traits in a Dom/Domme? (Please don't let that statement take anyone off thread. I am not saying that Dom/Dommes are only considered good if they have those traits. I'm merely saying I've never heard anyone say those are "bad" traits for a Dom/Domme to possess).
Anyway, if I have no abuse in my past that could have caused my attraction to BDSM maybe it is the lack of abuse that caused it.

And now onto the question of mental health. Many have wondered if it is healthy to relive abuse through BDSM. Does anyone think it is unhealthy to relive what I see as a positive, loving act of my childhood through BDSM? (If that is in fact what I am doing. I have to think on that some more. Afterall, Tourguide has told us that his posts are often made to make us think. Thank you Tourguide and AndrewBlack for giving me this new way of looking at my BDSM desire.)

Karen

nova
01-23-2004, 04:41 PM
That's a very interesting question. i was abused as a child...my half-brother on several occasions, did things to me that i now realise were sexual assaults. To be honest though, these did not leave any lasting trauma, or so i thought. i think i may have been too young to take them in...but reading this does make me wonder if that is the reason i am so submissive now...

Cleo671
01-23-2004, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by BDSM_Tourguide
Abuse, for the purpose of this thread is the specific dictionary definition.

Abuse n.

To hurt or injure by maltreatment; ill-use.
To force sexual activity on; rape or molest.
To assail with contemptuous, coarse, or insulting words; revile.

Abuse is abuse, okay. Even if it occurs between consenting parties it's still abuse in the technical sense of the word definition only. But it's only a label definition, opposing the contrasting behaviour that is deemed 'ideal' say, by religious leaders, relationship experts, psychologists etc: to 'not hurt', to not malign,etc.

I once had a female friend, that I had to disengage from due to her self destructive behaviour, and destructive behaviour to other people. She wasn't sexually abused, or mistreated by her parents, however her parents or the dynamics of their relationship, her fathers infidelities and verbal attacks toward her mother, this girls love for her father and loathing of her mother's submissiveness had weird results in that she sought men that were attached or married, if a partner wasn't in the picture, it wasn't a challenge. If the guy dumped her or she pursued the affair, she would annoy the person to the point of verbal abuse, and she kept on coming back for more - masochism? If a man threatened her physically she would goad them on, more masochism. If a hapless girlfriend of the man challenged her, she would get nasty, verbally accost them, spread vile rumours - her sadism? or sadistic streak?..

Abuse doesn't have to be overt, it can be so subtle and can still produce an effect that is palpable. So yes, definitely in some cases, not all, many people that have experienced some level of abuse are attracted to various aspects of behaviour that can be associated with BDSM, even though the person themselves might not label their behaviour.

But I think what differentiates between a preference - that's not based on an abusive past- and one that is based on an abusive past, is a person's altruism. I can't express it, it's not easy to express, but a person that 'needs' something in order to hide certain things of their past, deny them, seeks selfish sexual gratification for their own purpose(it doesn't have to be violent, it can be very subtle, even romantic).. and similar things, has issues they need to work on or acknowledge - especially if abusive tendencies are repetitive. These people usually seek relationships(bdsm etc) that provide repeat performances of their past. BDSM to me is also a state of mind first and foremost before heading into the paraphenalia of it all.

There are many people that are active in bdsm that don't have unresolved issues, however because the lines are blurred, because of the very definition of this type of lifestyle, there will be people with an abusive past, childhood etc, that will be drawn into it and if they haven't resolved their issues they will make life difficult for a partner that is reasonably well adjusted - just like in any relationship, but there is also the potential for them to come across a partner that has issues themselves - the dom or domme that needs that 'fix' - like my previous female friend, she would make a great domme in the sense that some males I've known that fantasise about female domination have been drawn to her, yes it's not healthy as she has issues, but it's something that they don't foresee..

Personally, I've come across abuse, or what can be termed abuse, verbal or behaviour that was dominant in the sense that the person had to make a 'statement' or verify their status, without regard to my feelings in the matter - and not in terms of sex either, but on a personal basis (which is why I can't stomach the 'servitude' aspect)..however I've been able to distinguish that and get right away from it and be able to put my needs first as a person. But this took some time for me to do, because I had to figure out the why's of it all, because I didn't have abusive parents, I didn't have parents in most of my childhood life as they passed away, so I didnt have an abusive father, my mother was relatively independent..but other adults in my life after that point were a weird mix of people, and abuse between them varied from the verbal to the subtle type..

Yes I like the aspect of domination, but not at the cost of my individuality, my needs and my self esteem.
And I think that those that have abusive pasts, in some cases, have lost sight of the importance of self esteem in a relationship and the very fact that although they are part of a relationship, they are still individuals that do have a say in their relationship.

belladonna
01-28-2004, 09:33 PM
wow, what a very good question. I for one have been in an abusive situation... not by choice. I feel it is a very different scenerio. I was and am still very much interested in the submissive side and to be totally honest, I was before my first marriage (very abusive) but it wasn't concensual... I did not ever agree to be physically and mentally abused by him. There is a difference. Don't know how I can explain it, but theere is a great difference... we should talk sometime...

BDSM_Tourguide
01-28-2004, 11:19 PM
... anyone gets into an abusive situation by choice.

I, personally, have never met a woman that's said, "Look at that guy. I bet he could crack me over the head really good. I think I'll ask him out."

Abuse, by nature, is non-consensual.

Cleo671
01-29-2004, 12:29 AM
very true..
but usually the seeds of abuse are sown way before
people enter relationships as adults..

and in that case..
they don't even know or differentiate whether
they do have a choice or not..

because they don't know any better.

Artemis
01-29-2004, 02:52 PM
My father believed in corporal punishment and so I got my fair share of "whippings" while I was younger. It is a very effective method of modifiying behavior. It is effective even now that I am a grown woman. My Master, should I do something deserving of punishment, knows that punishing me with a whipping would be effective. I have a high pain threshold and do get regular spankings/canings but being told I need to be punished for something I've done is what hurts the most...the whipping just reinforces that in my mind and is a reminder to never do whatever it was again.

Now...was I abused as a child? No, I don't believe so. Were the whippings I got as a child part of the reason that I am interested in BDSM today? Possibly so...my early fantasies were more about rape and restraint than whippings/canings though. I know people that were abused as children and I've seen their self-destructive behavior patterns. To my knowledge, nothing I've done has been self-destructive, in fact quite the opposite is true. I am in a loving relationship with a mature man and I am quite happy with all of our activities. We've yet to have any kind or arguement/fight actually. I don't know many other women my age that can say that about their relationships. Usually I hear things like "I hate when he does...." or "I wish he would/wouldn't do....". I've been asked before if I'm lying when I say my Master/boyfriend and I don't argue. It's not the norm nowadays I suppose.

(Sowwy if I got a bit off topic there...)

Spitman
01-30-2004, 06:30 AM
Does an interest in BDSM indicate a pattern of abuse in earlier life?

Not necessarily. I don't think a lifelong inclination towards bdsm can be explained by a few well deserved beatings as a small child, especially as others similarly treated showed no such interest. But it may be so in some cases.

Is it because we were taught to admire saints and martyrs who suffered terrible tortures, and as small children we were constantly exposed to graphic illustrations of martyrs in churches and religious books? At an impressionable age I was encouraged to believe that sacrifice is good, and we should admire tortured people, but sex is dirty.

With the awakenings of sexuality, after years of single sex education in total isolation from the opposite sex, as an adolescent I found bdsm exciting, and read lots of books that depicted violence and torture, increasingly in a sexual context, but without the opportunity to share my sexual thoughts and feelings, which the culture I grew up in regarded as unclean.

As an adult I have learned from many kinds of experience, and that of others of both sexes, to understand the elements of sexuality and where they come from. I am able to have a sexual relationship that does not involve bdsm, and I would prefer that to coercing a partner into doing things that she doesn't enjoy.

I believe in individual freedom, including the freedom of women to exercise choice in how and when they participate in sexual play. On the way I have acquired knowledge and skills that enable me to participate fully in a bdsm relationship that also respects the woman and her thoughts and feelings.

The wonder of fantasy, though, is the limitless way it opens up new and unexplored avenues in the mind, enhancing both pleasure and mutual understanding.

Syvlangod
01-31-2004, 06:57 AM
perhaps.
Abuse to innocents is an abhorrent crime and should be pounished most harshly, drawn and 1/4ing would be my decision.
Having said that allow the tables to turn for a moment, the victim is ignorant of why the abuse is occurring and what is sought by the abuser. The victim is almost irresitably drawn to a desire to placate/please the abuser and although ignorant of the term, enters into a kind of psuedo sub space where pain/pleasure are mixed and mingled to the point where all that is craved is the stimulation, there is no difference between pain and pleasure. This is the formula for the creation of a painslut by the way but that is another topic. There are many facets to what constitutes a submissive but for the purposes of your inquiry only two matter
1. the desire to please, deeply ingrained in every submissive, when coupled with a harsh background and deep rooted memories of failing to liove up to expectations the Dominant can tap a near limitless well of controlling excercises. One of my earliest subs was a formner straight A student who had flunked out of college and needed to be 'punished' for her failure. BDSM as therapy :)
2. the desire to NOT be responsible. This is a theme that runs the entirety of the bdsm spectrum but to painfully simplify it, when a sub is tied or Dominated she surrenders all responisbility and thus achieves total freedom, a return to the helplessness of childhood perhaps or merely a device to surrender all sources of stress, I have met both types, the female lawyer who kneels so as to have absoultely no thought except to accept and serve and the insecure sub who doesn't want to have to decide what to do.
the issue of abuse victims who might become DOM so as to perpetuate abuse also exists, however the BDSM community is very well regulated by tiself and such 'monsters' are quickly detected and dealt with, usually permanently.

Cleo671
02-01-2004, 06:11 AM
Taking part of the listed definition in here as ill-use..
we had an interesting case in the last week or so in Sydney, front page news etc.
This 27 yr old man had gone missing with this 12 year old girl.
It wasn't an abduction per se, but this was insinuated in all papers.
The question arose of why a 12 year old girl would leave the house the man shared with his de-facto/common law wife (9 months pregnant with two other children below the age of 3).

It then came about that she also shared this house at times, and was in the family's life as well.
Her parents were all over the news telling her to come home.
Her grandmother stated that this wasn't right.

Subsequently, more came out, this man's partner was 12 when he had met her. An obvious pattern.
It can be 'surmised' that once she became a 'mother', he lost interest and sought another girl, who knows.
This woman in the last two weeks gave birth to their third child, she is on the news stating that 'all children need their fathers' i.e. implying her partner (who at this time was in hiding with this girl).

In the last three days, they were spotted, a person recognising their faces telephoned the police, they were sharing a flat further out in the suburbs, after his arrest, the 12 year old girl prophessed her love, and that she wanted to still see him, although she agreed to the AVO which banned him from contacting her (he'll be sentenced anyway)..

BUT.. she wasn't maltreated by him, but it's 'ill use' in such a way that he somehow justified his actions to this girl, taking advantage in some way.

Now this girls first experience, with this man will surely influence her in some way in the future, and no one will know which direction it will go.
Is it possible that other events in her home life led her to seek some sort of comfort that a family unit such as that of this man and his partner offered?
Did she equate sex with affection and love?
What method did he use to gain trust in this 12 year old girl?
His partner, now 22, upon seeing all this, probably didn't know, perhaps this 12 year old girl acted as a babysitter as well..

but overrall....she might have consented to it as she was willingly with him missing for nearly two weeks, but that still doesn't mean that it isn't ill treatment.
Utilising a person's mind in this way is still abuse.
He is a predator nonetheless.

The women did not know any different, as they were (both) young girls at the time, and which 12 year old girl has the experience to differentiate, especially if her home life is dysfunctional?

Finding_Fantasy
02-03-2004, 12:52 AM
I have not read the three pages of replies as my poor eyes are so tired, but I will reply to the origanal post.

I do not believe that someone who is involved in BDSM is a case of abuse...at least not in a great many. Yes, there are people who are submissive/masocists because that is all they know. It;s what they are used to, and even bad things are hard to stay away from. It;s like a man who has been in prison most of life. He may hate being in prison, loathe it, and dream of freedom in the outside world, but as soon as he is out on his own, he desperately wants to return because it is what he has been used to for a good portion of his life.

On the other hand, dominants that have been abused in the past may be dominant for the purpose of "revenge" To assure themselves that they are no longer the victims and can assert their power on someone else. (These people should be avoided at all cost in my opinion and these are the ones that give us a bad name)

That being said, I was not ever abused...at least not while I was a child. My paretns rarely laid a hand on me other than the odd spanking...though all my father had to do was give me "the look". I was in an abusive relationship when I was in my early 20's though but I had already been aware of my interest.

Did my interest draw me to this guy? No. He was very nice and very sweet until we moved into an apartment together and, having been on his own for the first time and having more money than he knew what to do with, he went nuts with drugs and drinking which drove him to do some of the many things he had done to me. I know it isn't an excuse, but those are the facts all the same.

I think that BDSM is more like a regular relationship in more ways that people realise. We just focus more on the abused in this lifestyle than in the others because of the type of activities. I don't know what the statistics/ratios are, but that is my opinion. Because we have whip each other, we wonder and over analyse it.

Master_chris
02-03-2004, 09:33 AM
I became interested in the topic when I was a younger, and I did know what it was untill I discoved move about BDSM on the web at the age of 15 - 16 years old.

sinces then I have grow to love it, and I also look forward to exploring differance topics with in the BDSM world.

bobanthony
02-07-2004, 02:59 PM
I was never abused as a child. I did have some minor interest in BDSM in my teens, but only became really involved in my 50's.

I my case, at least, abuse had absolutely nothing to do with it.

pandemonium
02-07-2004, 07:42 PM
I've stayed away from this because, the supporting information is going to piss people off and I can't help that.

In order to get an honest answer, we have to rely on information that has been gathered about paraphiliacs.That means we have to look at the information on sex offenders or paraphiliacs with an impulse disorder. Like it or not. It doesn't matter how you feel about the category.
And for the life of me, I can't find anything that doesn't say its not a 50/50 thing. We know that 50% of parapheliacs have been abused. Its been said that an obsession began to occur approximately around 12 years old.

I'm not a shrink, I'm just going from what I read so, I'm not trying to come off like an expert here.

pandemonium
02-07-2004, 08:08 PM
Causes of Paraphilia Unclear
It is unclear what causes a paraphilia to develop. Psychoanalysts theorize that an individual with a paraphilia is repeating or reverting to a sexual habit that arose early in life. Behaviorists suggest that paraphilias begin through a process of conditioning. Nonsexual objects can become sexually arousing if they are repeatedly associated with pleasurable sexual activity. Or, particular sexual acts (such as peeping, exhibiting, bestiality) that provide especially intense erotic pleasure can lead the person to prefer that behavior. Although the origins of most paraphilias are not understood, in some cases there seems to be a predisposing factor such as difficulty forming person-to-person relationships.

http://health.discovery.com/centers/sex/sexpedia/paraphilia.html

Kind of interesting for a Q & A http://www.faculty.sfasu.edu/reastman/275/SEXUALDISORDERS.htm

I'm looking for this website and it was freakin' perfect but I can' find it right now.

Spitman
02-16-2004, 11:13 PM
That's interesting about the data coming from studies of offenders, and the predisposing factors in paraphilia (abnormal sexual practices).

I think a lot of wrong conclusions have come out of studies that have focused only on offenders, because there is more incentive to study offenders, and they are more accessible.

Without studies also carried out in the general population, it is easy to draw false conclusions.

For instance, how can something be regarded as an abnormal sexual practice, if we don't know how prevalent this practice is in the general population?

With today's freedom of access to discussions like this, maybe we can begin to understand the wider picture.

That aside, I would be far happier to agree that an interest in bdsm relates to the ability to form relationships, than to a history of abuse.

Whether bdsm is an example of paraphilia is another very good question! I believe fantasies involving some element that we include in the scope of bdsm are extremely common in the general population.

pandemonium
02-22-2004, 07:34 AM
I think a lot of wrong conclusions have come out of studies that have focused only on offenders, because there is more incentive to study offenders, and they are more accessible.

I disagree. I do not disagree that there is more incentive, we as a society need to understand in order to recognize and to prevent/protect. Therefore, I strongly believe that the conclusions that are drawn are not in any way wrong. I also do not disagree that they are more accessable.
I'm trying to do this from memory, I believe that for anything to become abnormal is a continued obsession that lasts longer than 6 months and is the only way that one can find sexual release. And obviously it is anything that is beyond a vanilla heterosexual relationship. For a long time homosexual relationships were considered abnormal. And that changed. The problems begin when these "obsessions" are acted on. There's the line. This is inherently important because when looking at a pedaphile....they can't be treated. The only thing that is going to happen is that its going to escalate. (sp?)And that goes for any of your sexual predators. Thats good to know.
It is recognized that these relationships (BDSM) are not harmful providing they are consensual. That is recognized. Its still a paraphiliac.
And as a side note that is completely not related: there is a huge fear that if we as a society say that homosexuality is ok, whats to stop us from saying pedophiles are ok.......they are on the same list. See?
I don't think its a question of it being common, because whether we say its common in the general public doesn't make a difference. I mean, its 2004, I would be hard pressed to find a large population of people that didn't come from a dysfunctional abusive back ground.

leo9
02-23-2004, 02:07 AM
Like a lot of contributors to this thread, my first answer to the question is "not with me". My childhood was loving and supportive. My mother spanked me exactly once - very clumsily and ineffectively, in blind anger - and it was her anger that hurt me then.

My difficulty in puberty was finding myself turned on by ideas of torture and slavery when I had been raised to believe that violence and oppression were the greatest evils.

I don't believe that there is a higher incidence of abusive childhoods among us, but I do suspect that because what we do has such power to release and relieve old hurts, BDSM people are more likely to have come to terms with past abuse and to be able to talk about it. So this may create a false impression that there are more abuse survivors here than in the vanilla world.

It's that well known effect where improved reporting creates the appearance of a greater problem.

His_sweet_song
03-01-2004, 05:56 AM
to start with i should perhaps say that yes i was abused as a child....from the age of 11 to roughly just after i was 16 my stepfather felt he could use me sexually while my mother was out of the house.....and yes i have an interest in BDSM....but even i am still not sure if they are linked...for the interest and realisation didnt occur till after i had been married to my soon to be ex for over 7 yrs...after reading a book of all things and realising that the thought of being bound and spanked really turned me on...i slowly began to realise i in some way needed the pain to arrouse me.....although what occured with my stepfather contained no elements of bondage or pain whatsoever....in some ways was glad that he tended to not use the fishing rod on me the way he used it on my siblings as punishement...i have never gone through any self destructive behavior....to the point if i had ever thought of ending things i always thought that it would hurt others more than it would hurt me...for after all i would have been dead and everyone else would have been left grieving.

the arrousal/pain element is a very real physical reaction with me....elements of pain lead to a feeling of release...but i soon let my Sir know if the pain ever becomes too much.....

i am not really sure if my past lead to my present....but i am a stronger person for it even if that is a loving submissive person:) :) ......

sinsinderella
03-07-2004, 12:07 PM
My need for the lifestyle is the result of real life experiences prior to the age of 18. I would like to share what happened to me, and my current understanding of myself in order to gain more healing, but I am too new here to expose myself this soon.

My story is long and involved. Could someone point me to where in the BDSM Library, it would be the best place to tell my story, in bits and pieces, as I gain the courage?

~~sinsinderella

Mobius
03-07-2004, 12:49 PM
Right here in BDSM life would be the place.
I would suggest making a thread of your own, so we can find it quickly. If the moderators want it in a different locasion they will intervine.

I look forward to reading your tale with great anticipation.

slavelucy
03-08-2004, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by His_sweet_song
i am not really sure if my past lead to my present....but i am a stronger person for it even if that is a loving submissive person:) :) ......

i was just re-reading through this thread and noticed this line - His_sweet_song, this is absolutely beautifully put and was what i was trying to say, just put MUCH better.

Even if there is a possibility that abuse can lead to an interest in BDSM, i think it would be wrong to assume that this is necessarily a negative thing, in fact, to have become a 'stronger, loving, submissive person' suggests that a person has let go of it and come out the other side.

sl

AndrewBlack
03-08-2004, 09:54 AM
I totally agree with you both, it's how you have learned from previous experience, positive or negative that makes you who you are. I believe as long as you can move on, even negative experiences can make you smarter and stronger.

lola
04-03-2004, 10:18 PM
I have never been abused. Not as an adult and not as a child either.

My daughter is 6, she has never been abused, not physically or verbally. I am convinced that one day, she will be a sub or a domme or maybe both. She ties stuff up all the time, tells me to choke her because it feels good and that she likes to cry.

I think that for the most part, you are what you are. I also think that if you are a submissive, and you live with or, in close proximity to, an abusive person that, they will likely be able to smell you out and take advantage of you. It doesn't mean that you are a sub because you were abused.

allalone46
04-04-2004, 07:25 AM
I'm like Finding Fantisy. I was never abused, and my father only spanked me once in his life, and my mother never did, and I do know the look that he says thay both had theres, and that was all it took.

leo9
04-06-2004, 02:35 PM
I also think that if you are a submissive, and you live with or, in close proximity to, an abusive person that, they will likely be able to smell you out and take advantage of you. It doesn't mean that you are a sub because you were abused.

Let us not blur the difference between Dominants and abusers, likewise between submissives and victim types.

I certainly agree that a Dom can usually sense when someone is sub even if sie is not flagging in any obvious way. (I know I can, I've sometimes surprised myself with the people for whom my detector has buzzed, and later found I was right.) And it does appear that abusive characters have an instinct for potential victims.

But most of the submissives I have known have not been victim types, on the contrary: outside the D/s relationship they are usually strong minded, even aggressive people whom any would-be abuser would walk wide around. And speaking just for myself, I am equally quick to avoid victim types.

rob.wilson
04-06-2004, 09:00 PM
I have never been abused and I don't remember my mother or father ever raising their hand in anger either towards my brother or myself. My mother wore the pants in the family, and my father tended to be submissive to her. They been happily (yes happily) married for nearly 40 years.

So it's interesting to me that my brother has abused his ex-wife (she dumped is sorry butt after he broke her nose). He's calmed down a bit since then and the current relationship he's in seems better and calmer, although my brother seems to have a pool of anger in him.

I on the other hand am very much the pacifist and have often questioned why I enjoy BDSM because of my beliefs. In fact, sometimes I think I was to concerned about my ex-partners safety and was not "as abusive" as she would like me to be.

It's interesting how are lives are influenced by things.

lola
04-06-2004, 09:43 PM
Let us not blur the difference between Dominants and abusers, likewise between submissives and victim types.

I certainly agree that a Dom can usually sense when someone is sub even if sie is not flagging in any obvious way. (I know I can, I've sometimes surprised myself with the people for whom my detector has buzzed, and later found I was right.) And it does appear that abusive characters have an instinct for potential victims.

But most of the submissives I have known have not been victim types, on the contrary: outside the D/s relationship they are usually strong minded, even aggressive people whom any would-be abuser would walk wide around. And speaking just for myself, I am equally quick to avoid victim types.

I did not mean to suggest that dominants are by nature abusers and, I certainly did not mean to suggest that all submissive persons are victims. That being said, if you are a sub and you were abused, which is kind of what the original question is about, the abuse probably did not cause the submissiveness. I have nothing but ancedotal evidence to support this theory of course but, it has proven itself to be true in spades, at least in my experience.

Were these strong minded submissives that you know abused early on?

MrJerseyGuy
04-07-2004, 04:09 AM
I know this thread has been around for some time...but I just got around to reading it. No abuse in my case, either as a victim or as an abuser. I actually had a sickeningly normal upbringing. Likewise, my sub did as well.

I think it's hard to make a correlation because a lot of people suffered abuse as children. You can't really point to the small percentage who wind up with an interest in bdsm and say "AH HA! That's what caused it!" I'll bet if there were ever a study done on it, the percentage of abuse victims who wind up in the "lifestyle" is smaller than the percentage within the vanilla community.

It would be an interesting study.

MasterRJ
04-16-2004, 12:44 PM
I haven't read the entire thread, but I think I can put my 2 cents in here in response to the first question. Now as a child, I was beaten by my martial arts sensei over the course of a six month period. Then I found out that a girl I had been dating was in fact mollested by her by a man that I very deeply respected. This hurt me in ways I can't describe. But then for some reason I started having dirty thoughts about girls in my high school. And not just any thoughts, thoughts about raping them (bum bum bum!) I tried to repress this. I figured it was probably just another pubecant assault on my psychie. But I couldn't get it out of my head. But then I looked into a lifestyle as a dominator, and I tried a few sessions in a chat room enviroment, and from then on the rest is ancient history. I personally beleive, however, that if my friend was not mollested I don't beleive I would be dominant. Although I must admit I don't think my lickings from my sensei had anything at all to do with it.

leo9
04-16-2004, 01:17 PM
I think it's hard to make a correlation because a lot of people suffered abuse as children. You can't really point to the small percentage who wind up with an interest in bdsm and say "AH HA! That's what caused it!" I'll bet if there were ever a study done on it, the percentage of abuse victims who wind up in the "lifestyle" is smaller than the percentage within the vanilla community.

It's my belief that because BDSM scenes sometimes expose repressed memories, and because BDSM people are less likely to feel ashamed to admit to having been abused, we probably have a higher percentage of people who openly identify as abuse survivors than in the general population. And this may create a false impression that the actual incidence of abused people is higher.

That is, in statistical terms, it's an artifact of reporting.

GaryWilcox
04-16-2004, 02:04 PM
You know, I consider myself to be a part of a pattern of abuse. I was never molested or raped, but I was bullied. And I was involved with two women who tried to involve me in their rape fantasies. One who had been raped... the other who, I think, probably ached for the experience.

While these things were a part of my sexual awakening, no one told me that my bearded, black Voice Command G. I. Joe doll should strip my Mego Batgirl doll and force her to kiss him.

There was definitely something in the way I was nurtured... but then my nature is not so innocent, either.

Barton
04-28-2004, 10:04 PM
Nope, no abuse here. Corporal punishment for major transgressions (I was a horrible child), but that was okay, I asked for it. "Spare the rod and spoil the child" is quite true I believe. However, as this is a lifestyle that I discovered late in life I don't think that had anything to do with it And although I cannot speak for my slave, I am not aware of any abuse in her life.
Barton.

Pandora's Box
05-09-2004, 01:36 PM
Is an interest in BDSM a result of abuse in early life, or is abuse just a factor that many in BDSM lifestyles seem to share?

I have noticed that many people, both dominant and submissive, have had occurences of abuse earlier in their lives. Is a person's interest in BDSM the result of the abuse or is the person simply abused and then becomes interested in BDSM regardless of it?

Well I can't say I was abused physically. I do have some abandonment type issues regarding my father. Granted he never left, but he did desert us emotionally. I think that may be something that makes me like the close interpersonal levels of connection in a D/s relationship.

I do wonder if my desire to please was influenced by that. I think it was more of an issue when I was younger. I did some really stupid things for men. (Although I think that is a general truism for people.) As I've gotten older though, I've learned to set some boundaries in what I will and will not do and for what and whom. Oddly enough, in many ways D/s has actually helped me to define those boundaries better and feel a bit more in control of things.

I can't speak about physical abuse. Granted I don't like pain, but then the things I do like I tend to call "extreme sensation". It just doesn't cross the bridge over into real pain.

Interesting question, but I can't help but wonder instead of who involved in bdsm was abused, how many people who were abused got into bdsm? And does their particular brand of abuse correlate at all to their particular inclinations?

chameleon
05-20-2004, 08:15 PM
Interesting question, but I can't help but wonder instead of who involved in bdsm was abused, how many people who were abused got into bdsm? And does their particular brand of abuse correlate at all to their particular inclinations?

That's the question that's been in my mind since the first post. Very much like the studies that falsely put an entire generation of childhood abuse survivors under suspicion as potential abusers, the methodology and conclusion are faulty. It makes as much sense to say, for instance, that since a large percentage of submissives had blonde female teachers in fifth grade, having a blonde female teacher in the fifth grade is a possible precipitating event in causing a person to become a submissive. As was pointed out, it makes more sense to take a group of children who were abused and follow them to see what percentage of them move into a BDSM lifestyle.

sweetmissy
05-20-2004, 08:40 PM
Interesting discussion. I would have to agree on this. My mother was physically abusive somewhat but more than anything mentally abusive. My father was not- When I say abusive, I mean that she would erupt into bursts of anger over small infractions and then work herself into a froth before lashing out on us with a belt, plate--whatever was handy. She called it "discipline" but I call it abuse- (welts, etc...). BUT I don't associate it with my desired to be spanked NOW. I just like VERY aggressive MEN who totally take control and "force" :[ play with me- I'm sure some "shrink" would claim their's some Freudian subconscious connection- but I'd say no-

erisv
05-21-2004, 04:53 PM
like most of the replies i've read i am going to straddle the fence on this one. i think that certainly for some there is a connection between their paticular BDSM proclivities and past abuse in child or early adulthood and that as slavelucy said this is not necessarily a bad thing and i am sure more then one has worked out their past in the safety of a BDSM relationship.

for me though the really interesting question is what draws so called "normal" people to. those that didn't have an abusive childhood and yet seek out what most would consider an extreme relationship. it's a question i am constantly asking myself and have honestly not come up with an answer for yet.

sweetie00
05-21-2004, 05:41 PM
No. I was never abused ( in any of the possible ways) when I was younger.

Just have deep intense cravings for extremes of sensations, and whilst not a painslut, I'm masochistic and do have high pain threshold (or so I've been told ;) )

I think for me this in direct relation to my getting depression where you don't feel much at all, so I try to make up for it with physical pain, immobilisation with extreme restraint and different sensation play.

I think the intesity of feelings is the pull for me. My Owner/bf and I were talking about a friend of mine that is very dramatic. She is almost constantly "fighting" with her boyfriend - very often over silly small things - and I think it is because she craves drama. We laughed at ourselves b/c we crave drama as well, we just get it in other ways.

And I feel the exact same way about getting depressed when there isn't much feeling going around or I'm bored. I'm still learning a great deal about BDSM but NONE of it has been boring yet!

tehya
05-24-2004, 01:26 AM
Hmmmmm a very touchy subject for me... since every male figure in my childhood abused me. However, I'd like us to look at this from a different angle.

I'm not saying I was abused because I am submissive, because I didn't even know there was a name for what I am until 9 months ago. But I think my abusers picked up on submissive traits (pleasing others, the need to serve, my willingness to see others happy, even at my own expense), and instead of nurturing these things, the abusers were able to twist them to their advantage. They wanted that power over me, and they took it.

Neither do I believe I am submissive because of the abuse. I'm definitely not looking for the abuse to continue. It was degrading, humiliating, and made me feel like I was a very bad girl.

I think what BDSM has done for me, is teach me that my submissive self is beautiful. That I can be myself, give all of myself over to my Master, and I can trust that he will care for me and see that NO harm comes to me. In effect, it has helped reverse the abuse and freed me from the past. Now I give the power over, not have it snatched away from me. Therein lies the freedom I have never had before in my life.

Master's tehya

Laila
05-24-2004, 08:55 AM
Same here, very touchy topic and one that gave me sleepless night in this past year.

Especially because I have these split desires. For one I long for someone to take care of me, to guide me - but not crully or just because of the pain, and not to break me (again...) but to built me up through what we have together.

But then there is also that vanilla thing, that I long for...

Sometimes I just tell myself "Look, Vanilla is your healthy side... the other desires are the sick one..." Like I said, sleepless nights.

At the moment I am at that point where I think I should mix it - like to find someone who also likes both... Guh that is all so confusing!

Another things is that I am kinda repelled from the idea that someone enjoys hurting teh one he loves (or anybody at all for that matter).

I am rambling again...
But I don't think that it must be a result from abuse. Like that crap homosexuality (especially for women) would be.

slavelucy
05-24-2004, 09:03 AM
I think what BDSM has done for me, is teach me that my submissive self is beautiful. In effect, it has helped reverse the abuse and freed me from the past. Now I give the power over, not have it snatched away from me. Therein lies the freedom I have never had before in my life.

*temporarily speechless*

tehya - most of your posts continue to leave me in awe of how well you put things. You have essentially said what i have been trying to say for much of this thread (especially the quoted bits), but in a much more succinct manner... and i can't begin to tell you how much i agree with you.

luce x

tehya
05-25-2004, 12:59 AM
*temporarily speechless*

tehya - most of your posts continue to leave me in awe of how well you put things. You have essentially said what i have been trying to say for much of this thread (especially the quoted bits), but in a much more succinct manner... and i can't begin to tell you how much i agree with you.

luce x

Luce, hun, you are gonna have me blushing bright red (even though i do look good in red, lol)... It is fortunate to find kindred spirits along lifes travels. That I could put into words what you have been thinking is validation that many of us think alike. And just perhaps, your posts gave inspiration to my words! *smiles*

Master's tehya