PDA

View Full Version : Posting to for pay sites (including this one)?

Quale
02-08-2004, 05:58 PM
Alright so while I have posted several stories in the past on asstr I am new to this website. Nevertheless I am very impressed and find it a very interesting place. However, I have some reservations about posting my stories to a pay site which doesn't seem to offer free membership to popular authors. I was wondering what other people thought.

I know that this site offer everyone access to a large portion of the content. However, it still clearly depends on the stories written by us authors to attract individuals both for advertising revenue and to convince them subscribing is worthwhile. Now I am a big believer in freedom of information but there seems something vaguely bothering in uploading your content to a website which, even if you play a significant role in increasing their revenue, does not seem to give you complete access or a discount.

Now perhaps I am mistaken and they do have such a policy however I could not find one on the website. If so someone please correct me. Also if this site is not truly for profit, i.e., the creators do not intent to take more than basic contribution for their work even should the site become very succesfull I also retract my question.

Also let me make it clear that I am not suggesting all authors be given a discount/freebie many of us (probably including myself) are never going to be popular enough so that our benefit to the site is worth enough. However, knowing that sufficently popular contributions were so appreciated would be enough.

I am wondering what feelings other feel about this? Do you draw a distinction between pay sites like this where most content is free and other pay sites?

Also I didn't see any legalese on the submission page. What story rights are we then assigning to this site? I certainly wouldn't be willing to submit my story to a place (for instance palm-stories used to be like this) which aquires your copyright and could thus prevent you from distributing the story.

Also I would be even more reluctant to contribute if my contribution could later be published in a form requiring payment for access. For instance could this site decide at some point in the future to only post the first half of my story and charge/require membership for the remainder?

I appreciate people's comments. Also if some crazy person wants to volounteer to edit my stories (my grammar/spelling as you can see needs serious help) I could deal with that as well. I am fine reciprocating the offer but I'm not sure how helpfull I could be.

boccaccio2000g
02-08-2004, 06:43 PM
<Now I am a big believer in freedom of information but there seems something vaguely bothering in uploading your content to a website which, even if you play a significant role in increasing their revenue, does not seem to give you complete access or a discount.

Now perhaps I am mistaken and they do have such a policy however I could not find one on the website.>
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jinn pays all of us writers $5 a word -- why do you think my story is so long?

The rest of you writers DO get $5 a word, right? ;-)

Boccaccio

woodsman'sgame
02-08-2004, 07:44 PM
Boccaccio said:

Jinn pays all of us writers $5 a word -- why do you think my story is so long?

$5 a word!!! I'm protesting. Equal pay for equal work! Just because I'm a sub doesn't mean I should get less than the big B! Jinn, time to renegotiate, or I will never finish Chantelle!

woodsman'sgame
02-08-2004, 07:54 PM
Quale,

All kidding aside, this site is truly free except for the book and picture archives, which are very nice (I enjoyed them very much when I went through them), but not what most of us come here for. We do not lose our rights to our work on this site, and as far as I know, Jinn has no intention of making the library part (the stories) a pay site. Many come to participate in the forum but most come just come to read the stories. If you decide to join us, submit your work, and post regularly in the forums, we would enjoy your contributions and input. I had been lurking for quite a while on the site and joined a few months ago. Since joining, I have enjoyed the interaction with the other members very much. Stick around and get to know us, and I think you will feel a part of the group soon.

GaryWilcox
02-08-2004, 08:03 PM
The stuff that you can't see, that Jinn charges for, includes hundreds of BDSM books, pictures, and comics.

No charge to grace us with your writing! No forfeit of copyright to loan it to Jinn, either.

If you do happen to join as a member (as I did earlier this month), check out the work of artists such as Tulli and Kiki Kjaer. Occupation SLAVE and Undertow are two new favorites. I like these better than Roberts... and everyone knows I'm a Roberts-lovin' fool....

Quale
02-08-2004, 09:21 PM
Maybe if you didn't let people tie you up and order you around you would be better negotiator ;-).

So the pay part is composed of things like *actual* books (i.e. not just long stories) and pictures? So it isn't a seperate pay stories section? In other words it isn't like stories we post are being used like teasers for other content?

In that case, I think I will just regard it as a free site for stories that happens to have a payed counterpart. Since there is no intention of making the library part pay ever I think I am probably going to submit my stories. After all a good free site indexing stories is a great service.

Thanks for helping me come to a deciscion. I'm glad I could feel good about joining your little section of the net. Hopefully I will get some positive criticism of my stories.....or beyond my wildest dreams there will be someone here who is willing to help me with some editing in return for my attempts to do the same.

This reminds me is it possible to change a story once uploaded or do changes result in several versions being up here?

Lord Douche
02-09-2004, 04:57 AM
In my experience of the member section during my one-month free membership, it contains pretty much comics/picture books of an erotic form, as well as plenty of high-res drawings. I didn't see any full books though, ie: published commercial works.

You can change your story once it is uploaded: just put a note to Jinn in the comments section of your submission, and he will update a part of the story you have already submitted (spelling corrections, etc) And you can add chapters, obviously. Just send the next section, along with the name and your details.

Look forward to reading your stories :)
Not sure what happened to my latest submission though, I posted it a day before the last update and it's not there. Perhaps it got lost during the site changes? *submits again*

LD

boccaccio2000g
02-09-2004, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by Lord Douche
In my experience of the member section during my one-month free membership, it contains pretty much comics/picture books of an erotic form, as well as plenty of high-res drawings. I didn't see any full books though, ie: published commercial works.

Look forward to reading your stories :)
Not sure what happened to my latest submission though, I posted it a day before the last update and it's not there. Perhaps it got lost during the site changes? *submits again*

LD

Under "Members" there is a "Book Section" which contains a couple of hundred adult novels (from the 70's and 80's mostly, I think)

I probably shouldn't speak for Jinn on this, but ...

I asked him recently when one of my installments missed an update * and he replied that he has a bit of a backlog of stories and installments. So, whereas a year ago a story might get posted within a day or two of submission (depending upon the timing) it might be 7-10 days now. He is reluctant to release too many stories at once, I think, because such a flood of stories would devalue each individual each story slightly, and everyone's story deserves its own few days at or near the top of the 'new stories' listings.

* At $5 a word, who wouldn't ask? ;-)

Boccaccio

Lord Douche
02-09-2004, 07:03 AM
I guess that makes sense. Oh well, I'll have to assume Jinn has enough intelligence not to post my story twice! :D
And I never saw a Book Section! Damn it!:mad:

S_Couture
02-13-2004, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Lord Douche
I guess that makes sense. Oh well, I'll have to assume Jinn has enough intelligence not to post my story twice! :D
And I never saw a Book Section! Damn it!:mad:

The books didn't seem very good to me. Some great art though.