PDA

View Full Version : help with my stories

rbthibo
07-16-2007, 10:54 PM
Note I posted this message in the intro section. It was segested that I repost it in this section (Author)

Hi everyone,

This is rbthibo

I’ve posted several series on the BDSM Library site. From several comments that have been made in the reviews it seems that I need someone out there to help me do some proof reading and editing on the stories.

Also it seems that I miss spell simple words. I admit that I am a poor speller I do run a spell checker that comes wit MicroSoft Word 2000 and MicroSoft Bookshelf 2000 on my stories be fore posting them.

Question? Is there two versions of correct English spelling (ie: center vs centre or color vs Colour?

H Dean
07-17-2007, 09:07 AM
Note I posted this message in the intro section. It was segested that I repost it in this section (Author)

Hi everyone,

This is rbthibo

I’ve posted several series on the BDSM Library site. From several comments that have been made in the reviews it seems that I need someone out there to help me do some proof reading and editing on the stories.

Also it seems that I miss spell simple words. I admit that I am a poor speller I do run a spell checker that comes wit MicroSoft Word 2000 and MicroSoft Bookshelf 2000 on my stories be fore posting them.

Question? Is there two versions of correct English spelling (ie: center vs centre or color vs Colour?
THere are two versions of English. One is used in Britain and other countries that are not the USA. Britain and its offspring use spellings like "colour" and "Centre" and the USA uses "color" and "center".

It appears that you are not a native English speaker. I would suggest doing using an online dictionary for aid. Also, using either version of English is fine so long as your stories are consistent in using only one and not sprinkling in both.

rbthibo
07-18-2007, 09:59 AM
H. Dean

Born and bread in the USA. So English is my native English speaker. However I was never very good with English in school. So my spelling, writing and structure is not very good.

rbthibo

H Dean
07-18-2007, 10:22 AM
Join the Writer's Block. You can really improve there. Several of us, who have been writing fora bit, are there to give instruction/destruction, as the case may be. It can really aid in how you structure a story. As far as spelling goes, I am sure that one or two of us can give you a few helpful pointers.

So, come on and request entry to the Writer's Block.

Clevernick
07-18-2007, 01:31 PM
rb, your errors are actually quite interesting!

a few notes that might help you think about ways to improve --

a) your errors often involve things that MS Word can't help with, such as using a different word that sounds the same (called a "homonym").

Example: born and bread.

"bread" is something you eat. "bred" is the past tense of "to breed". MS Word is not smart enough to help with this, since both are valid words. So maybe you can take some time to learn homonyms in English.

This self-teaching tutorial might help you: http://a4esl.org/q/h/homonyms.html

b) You give the impression you learned most of your English from listening, rather than reading. This means you won't have as much info on how to write what you hear as someone who reads a lot. All I can suggest here is to read more of whatever you like best, emphasizing published works which are professionally edited, and try to note how spelling and punctuation are used.

c) get a sense of humor about this -- nobody's perfect at it, but it will be fun to improve. Check out this poem that passes any spell check perfectly, but has nearly every word wrong:

http://home.clara.net/darvill/funnies/funny16.htm

And good for you for wanting to improve! Corraggio!

P.S. "Oklahoma" is spelled like this. :D

H Dean
07-18-2007, 04:50 PM
No wonder you are called "clevernick". Good on ya, as Aussiegirl might say.