PDA

View Full Version : Ingmar Bergman dies

gagged_Louise
07-30-2007, 02:52 AM
So this morning brought a piece of news film fans around the world have been expecting and putting off for years: Ingmar Bergman, 89, has passed on, four years after writing and directing his final movie, Saraband.

I'm a longtime Bergman fan, and don't feel much need now to bring out at length what a great moviemaker the man was, it's kind of an open goal - a guy who managed to put Death on the silver screen in a way that makes us accept that you can play chess with him (The Seventh Seal), who could describe the magic and terror of childhood, the burden of separation and the sadistic power of jealousy (Fanny and Alexander) and who is even said to have inspired Dallas by the ruthless and comic interplay of Scenes from a Marriage doesn't need much more extra showers of praise.

What some may have missed out on: he could be a fabulously funny director. He began his career doing comedies and romance movies and that element nearly always stayed around even in the most serious and dark flicks he put out. In interviews he would be riveting, serious and outrageously fun all intertwined (the interview book Bergman on Bergman is a great read, as is his autobiography The Magic Lantern).

R I P, Ingmar; your films will remain a part of the movie heritage for ever.

Pertez
07-30-2007, 02:56 AM
:icon277: R.I.P

Logic1
07-30-2007, 03:56 AM
Well it was kinda expected since he was old and sick, but nevertheless sad.

Clevernick
07-30-2007, 05:16 AM
My swedish babe commented that he finally lost that chess game.

:(

Logic1
07-30-2007, 08:49 AM
he sure did. We all do in the end :p
hope he didnt have much pain before he passed on.

Rhabbi
07-31-2007, 09:47 AM
The world of film has lost a voice that will often be imitated, but never duplicated.

Clevernick
07-31-2007, 09:59 AM
Two such voices, sad to say, Rhabbi!

Antonioni died yesterday too. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelangelo_Antonioni

Logic1
08-01-2007, 08:18 AM
I actually liked Antonini better than Bergman.
yeah one sad day for film lovers and others.

Sir_Russell
08-14-2007, 01:04 PM
Not sure that I would call him a genius since the word is over used, but we will miss him.