PDA

View Full Version : Bridge collapse in Minneapolis

jeanne
08-01-2007, 07:36 PM
Please keep in your thoughts (and prayers, if so inclined) the families of those lost and injured in the bridge collapse in Minneapolis. I have driven over that bridge at least 3000 times, used to do it twice a day.

cariad
08-01-2007, 10:29 PM
One of the joys of meeting people on the internet is that makes the world a small place. Suddenly, a bridge collapsing in a place thousands of miles away, in place which is only a name to me, takes on a sharp reality, since it could have involved someone I know.

Will do so his_j.

cariad

Ozme52
08-01-2007, 10:35 PM
Have they listed the names of the lost yet? I have some friends there... some of whom are or used to be members here.

Logic1
08-02-2007, 02:48 AM
One of the joys of meeting people on the internet is that makes the world a small place. Suddenly, a bridge collapsing in a place thousands of miles away, in place which is only a name to me, takes on a sharp reality, since it could have involved someone I know.

Will do so his_j.

cariad

yes very wierd. I had an online friend that died in the Tsunami catastrophe and another one that just made it out of WTC so.. yeah the world is definitely smaller with the internet.

I do hope none of us or our friends have died in that bridge.

violet girl{MM}
08-02-2007, 04:36 AM
Have they listed the names of the lost yet? I have some friends there... some of whom are or used to be members here.

Not yet, Oz....i have a couple of cousins who live there. i am concerned that the husband of one, who just had a baby, may use that bridge to go to and from work. The collapse happened during rush hour (about 6 pm CDT). i haven't heard any dire news, but i'm still worried.

Thank you for this thread his_j...watching CNN last night, i felt sick, and i started crying while watching the images of the bridge. How many times have we driven over bridges in our own lives? i tried imagining what it would have felt like to be one of the cars that had JUST made it past the point of collapse, or one of the cars who JUST missed the point of collapse by feet or yards. How would it have felt being a car "going down" with the bridge....

Frightening....:( For those who lost their lives, i hope it was quick. (A morbid thought, i know, but the alternative is too horrifying to me.) :(

Dorkalicious
08-02-2007, 05:43 AM
I'm with you violet. I just hope that the ones that did die, didn't have a drawn out death....

gagged_Louise
08-02-2007, 06:37 AM
I agree, falling in a car off a bridge into water has always seemed, to me, a fearful way to die. Not far from here, the Öresund bridge over to Copenhagen - one of the longest cable-stayed bridges in the world - was inaugurated in 2000, serving both jampacked commuter trains, big delivery trucks and cars. Denmark has had a small number of troops in Iraq - they're just winding that down - and is not a popular country in the Arab world (the Muhammed cartoons affair last year etc).
You bet it's crossed my mind sometimes: what would happen if that bridge were the target of a successful terrorist attack?

His_blizzard
08-02-2007, 02:13 PM
Master lives in Duluth and rarely has to travel to Minneapolis so I was not concerned, but I was touched by how many of my old online friends and my RL friends (who are all very geographically challanged it seems :p) reached out to me last night to make sure Dragon was safe.
I think being a part of something like that just has to be one of my worst nightmares! I pray for them all.... "Peace" ~blizz~

Aussiegirl1
08-02-2007, 02:40 PM
I agree with Cariad, it is things like this that make the world seem such a small place. Watching with horror the bridge on the news last night, I also could not help but think who on the forum may have been involved. I said a prayer will I watched and will continue to do so. My thoughts go out to everyone who is worried about family and friends.

Sir_Russell
08-14-2007, 12:58 PM
his_j I know the feeling I had a friend that was on the Skyway bridge when a tanker knocked it down. I knew he should be on the very top of the span about the time it went down but thankfully his boss called him back to the office so he was about 5 minutes late but on the bridge when it happened. Took hours to find out he was okay.

tessa
08-14-2007, 05:03 PM
I've been thinking about this tragedy, praying for the families and friends who lost loved ones. Such a shame.

jeanne
08-14-2007, 08:01 PM
Pretty much everyone in the whole Twin Cities has a "six degrees of separation" thing with someone who was on that bridge. It's almost like a small town.

Ozme52
08-15-2007, 01:03 PM
They say it only takes six degrees to anyone in the world. I'm sure this has been far more relevent than that for you all.

jeanne
08-16-2007, 06:00 AM
And now the fighting begins about how to rebuild. What kind of bridge, how much will it cost, blah, blah, blah. People are just plain crazy sometimes, I swear to God.

DungeonMaster6
08-18-2007, 10:43 AM
While I don't know anyone from that area, my heart certainly goes out to anyone involved. There are seven bridges that cross the Potomac River in DC. I can imagine the catastrophy that would occur if any one of them were to collapse.