PDA

View Full Version : The Secret

cadence
08-25-2007, 09:45 AM
I didn't really know where to put this topic, so I decided to just put it here.

The nurse that visits my brother (who is very ill, and a little down in the dumps), keeps insisiting that he take her audio copy of The Secret.
She is trying to make him understand that he needs to have a bit of a positive outlook on things, because that will help him along.
He told me that no matter how happy you are, when your time is up it is up. I agree with him to a certain extent, but I also believe that being upbeat does have its advantages.
You can think positively and you adapt to the negative changes as best you can.

Yesterday, I was at the book store, trying to find something to read, and ran across books about The Secret about the Secret, How to Understand the Secret, and so on.
I decided to buy the book, I figure I'll read it and find out what the fuss is all about, and then give it to my brother so that the nurse will stop bugging him about it.

I have had a few people say that this book is the best.
I have started to read it, and there is nothing great nor enlightening so far.

In my own opionion, I think this book is blowing smoke up my ass.
There are people who are in the right place at the right time, and this book is just comprised of stories about sucess. I doubt that they used any special secret formula to get where they are.

To me there is no secret, it is just to live your life as best as you can.

So I wonder if other people have read the book, seen the movie, and what they think. Am I missing something?

Rhabbi
08-26-2007, 01:02 PM
Don't know anyhting about The Secret, but my opinion is that you are correct.

Guest 91108
08-26-2007, 01:27 PM
The secret is out on it..
it's nothing more than another one of those self-help You-can-do-it-too books. Mostly about the author increasing her own financial gain.. and every one else who wrote a book to critique it.

the author used some common history and money to have a movie made trying to lend credibility to what she had to say.

Alex Bragi
08-26-2007, 06:43 PM
I agree completely.

Fortunately, it's harmless enough, unlike a lot of rubbish being touted to desperate and guillible people by the many con artists and snake oil merchants out there.

candence, I hope your brother makes a full recovery. When he does, I'm sure he'll have professional medical people and the love and support of his family to thank, not some useless book written by a clever and manipulative woman who's quite simply out to make a fast buck.

princess_of_pain
08-27-2007, 07:35 PM
Not having read the book I can't give first hand testimony on its contents, but I have been paying attention to the debate between its advocates and critics. Those who voice concerns have said that The Secret (essentially) places blame for life's negative occurrences squarely in the lap of the individual (i.e., "It's your fault you got cancer/become the victim of a violent crimes/ lost your jobs and home/etc., by virtue of your negative thought processes.") Which in my humble opinion, could be sufficient reason for concern when considering the fragile emotional/psychological states of individuals most likely to be drawn in by such outlandish promises.

fantazmaster
08-28-2007, 03:11 AM
Ah,yes another book on the secret to personal success and true happiness in life.Just the latest in a historical string of personal success books.Let's see here we have Emile Couee in the 1920's who wrote several of these self improvement books advocating various success creating exercises ,"Self Mastery Through Conscious Autosuggestion" and "How to Practice Suggestion and Autosuggestion".Follow this with the works of Norman Vincent Peale with his
"The Power of Positive Thnking" or David Schwartz "The Power Of Thinking Big"
And then.......ah well you get the idea here I hope that not long after the advent of the modern book publishing industry,there has always been somebody selling a treasure map in book form to the keys to personal success,wealth and happiness.This Secret book being perhaps the latest of the species.

cadence
08-28-2007, 10:27 AM
Not having read the book I can't give first hand testimony on its contents, but I have been paying attention to the debate between its advocates and critics. Those who voice concerns have said that The Secret (essentially) places blame for life's negative occurrences squarely in the lap of the individual (i.e., "It's your fault you got cancer/become the victim of a violent crimes/ lost your jobs and home/etc., by virtue of your negative thought processes.") Which in my humble opinion, could be sufficient reason for concern when considering the fragile emotional/psychological states of individuals most likely to be drawn in by such outlandish promises.

I have just finished reading the book, and yes it does seem to promote that negative thinking creates a negative life.
The book almost seems to create the fantasy that if you wish hard enough, you will get what you want.

I can understand the power of positive thinking thus creating better self esteem, self confidence and and a healthier more positive approach to life.

I find it crass that they tout it to be a new and marvelous idea that will definately change your life forever.

And thank you Alex, I hope my brother does get better, he has had the best doctors working for him, but when the odds are stacked against you, there are no secret methods that can help. I am there for him when he needs me and that is the best that I can do.