PDA

View Full Version : Madeline's parents named as suspects

rach
09-07-2007, 07:15 PM
The mother and father of British toddler Madeleine McCann, who vanished while on holiday in Portugal, have both been named as formal suspects by police, their lawyer said Saturday.

princess_of_pain
09-07-2007, 07:16 PM
Sad...tragic, but unfortunately not terribly surprising. :(

wingsofanangel
09-07-2007, 09:26 PM
I am not surprised. I thought ill of them from the start. Who leaves their tiny children in a hotel room alone while they go eat? Did the kids eat? What about them? Anything could happen.. a slip and fall.. electrocution... tripping.. I mean kids can get into trouble with a parent standing right there.. why would a "loving" parent leave their small children in a room alone in a strange city?

Sounds like a cover to me.

gagged_Louise
09-07-2007, 10:01 PM
I've been feeling for some time that the way the parents stayed in Portugal and publicized the case from there, this long after, spoke against them. When nothing seems to be happening for three or four months, why would one stay and try very clearly, by press conferences and enlisting celebrities, to give the impression that it must be a kidnapping and that the girl wasn't dead? It kind of smacks of pressurizing the police and, at the same time, showing a version of the story where the McCanns could not be questioned.

Hundreds of kids disappear in strange circumstances every year in Western Europe or in the USA, but I don't ever recall a case that's made the headlines like this for such a long time - being from Sweden I'm uncomfortably reminded of the series of press briefings conducted by the Police chief of Stockholm, Mr Hans Holmér, in 1986-87 after the assassination of PM Olof Palme. Holmér enthralled journalists from all over Europe by speaking in a semi-poetic language ("preminiscent" of Donald Rumsfeld) of the difficult mission and of what might soon be happening but there was no real hard progress; the case is still not closed though some would say it's "police-wise solved without a chance of getting the /now dead/ presumed assassin to justice".

I wouldn't believe the mother is an intentional killer, but she probably knows what happened and like wingsofanangel said, you wouldn't leave a child of that age alone in a hotel room in a strange city

Rhabbi
09-08-2007, 09:30 AM
I an always saddened when the parents are suspects in the disappearance/death of a child. I do not know the facts here, but the fact that it took the police this long to focus on the parents shows me that either they found something from before, or that they are getting desperate themselves.

Qmoq
09-08-2007, 11:47 AM
I'm no fan of the McCanns for leaving the kid on her own, but they seem to be only suspects being brought in for questioning, and aren't being formally charged with anything (yet). And remember... even if they are charged, they are innocent until proven guilty.

The media scrutiny of this case has appalled me, though. There was that chap who got charged twice - I imagine that poor sod's life is ruined. I live close to where a young lad got murdered, and that was headline news for a few weeks, and it was sickening to see the media misrepresent the area, and focus on the emotions involved, rather than the facts. I'm kinda glad they didn't ask me any questions - I would have said something to the effect that they're all evil vultures with waferthin souls who pretend to care.

So... back to the Madeline case... when you read the reports, stick closely to the facts. Ignore the hype, whether it's portraying the Portuguese as buffoons or the parents as killers.

cadence
09-08-2007, 12:09 PM
I an always saddened when the parents are suspects in the disappearance/death of a child. I do not know the facts here, but the fact that it took the police this long to focus on the parents shows me that either they found something from before, or that they are getting desperate themselves.

They actually found blood from the daughter in a rental car, rented by the parents four weeks after her dissappearance.

The theory that journalists have speculated on is that there are only two available cars for rent in that town.
The killer could have rented that very car as well.
A bit farfetched but not entirely out of the question.

crazy_grrluk
09-08-2007, 12:53 PM
hate to say it...but every interview they did...there really was no massive compassion.

it has been the main discussion for a long time...that the parents...who are doctors....left 3 young children under the age of 4 home alone in their challet while they was in a resturant on site....500 metres away from where they were staying...they even claimed that they did regualr 30 min checks on the kids...who were asleep in their beds.

is about time both parents were bought in for questioning and deemed as suspects. If that happened back home here in the UK....all authorities would be on their back.

the parents should be punished for neglect

gagged_Louise
09-08-2007, 12:55 PM
I've found the media hype very disgraceful too, and I really suspect the McCanns have been paid for interviews by some reporters (as a thumb rule, a reporter should never offer money for getting an interview, that damages his integrity - yes, I know many papers regularly sidestep that rule).

It's kind of plain the couple have been able to present their version of the story, and the papers and tv channels caught on because that story was very sellable, at least outside of Portugal - any parent could identify with the McCanns, there was fresh scope for new interviews and articles even when nothing happened: it sold itself. If the McCanns are found guilty or knew what had happened, the media have a lot of self-scrutiny to make.

Rhabbi
09-08-2007, 01:10 PM
They actually found blood from the daughter in a rental car, rented by the parents four weeks after her dissappearance.

The theory that journalists have speculated on is that there are only two available cars for rent in that town.
The killer could have rented that very car as well.
A bit farfetched but not entirely out of the question.

How much blood? And where?

You see how things can be blown out of proportion? Did the girl have a small cut and bleed in the car? A nosebleed? Conclusions are easy to jump too, and forensic evidence only exists, it does not prove anything.

rach
09-08-2007, 01:12 PM
You see how things can be blown out of proportion? Did the girl have a small cut and bleed in the car? A nosebleed? Conclusions are easy to jump too, and forensic evidence only exists, it does not prove anything.

The thing is the blood was found in a car rented 25 days afte Maddie was apaprently abducted, that's why it's new evidence.

crazy_grrluk
09-08-2007, 02:45 PM
I've found the media hype very disgraceful too, and I really suspect the McCanns have been paid for interviews by some reporters (as a thumb rule, a reporter should never offer money for getting an interview, that damages his integrity - yes, I know many papers regularly sidestep that rule).

It's kind of plain the couple have been able to present their version of the story, and the papers and tv channels caught on because that story was very sellable, at least outside of Portugal - any parent could identify with the McCanns, there was fresh scope for new interviews and articles even when nothing happened: it sold itself. If the McCanns are found guilty or knew what had happened, the media have a lot of self-scrutiny to make.

And what about the audiance with the Pope at the Vatican?????

rach
09-08-2007, 02:57 PM

Yeah that was weird.

crazy_grrluk
09-08-2007, 02:59 PM
i would say that was extreme.
esp as it was so soon after the child went missing.

makes u wonder if it was all a free ride and a trip to see europe in the process

ladygstar
09-08-2007, 03:03 PM

Don't get me started on that.

Whatever we find out they are or aren't guilty of with regards to their daughters disappearance they are defiantly guilty of milking the situation for all it was worth as well as neglect at the very least.

gagged_Louise
09-08-2007, 03:04 PM
The Pope? Yeah, who would believe that - or Beckham - could have happened without some media people lobbying the idea. How much press attention is given to kids and young women sold into sex trafficking? We're talking thousands every year there just in Europe.

rach
09-08-2007, 03:06 PM
Don't get me started on that.

Whatever we find out they are or aren't guilty of with regards to their daughters disappearance they are defiantly guilty of milking the situation for all it was worth as well as neglect at the very least.

For sure- and what really upsets me is the difference in that they were treated as opposed to Ben Needham's Mum when he went missing with far less reason for people to be suspicious- she was a suspect straight away and villified by the press. It disgusts me.

ladygstar
09-08-2007, 03:09 PM
I couldn't agree more louise and rach

I just know how the press would have demonised a inner-city, ethnic, single mother had she left her kids while having dinner and the same situation had arisen... grrrrrrrrr

Really trying not to get started on this as I have tried really hard to avoid posting in this thread all night!

crazy_grrluk
09-08-2007, 03:18 PM
I can remember the sheer hell I went through after my kids were put on the social services at risk register and all because of Idiothead.
Because of what had happened to me the kids were affected...and after I had him arrested...it was like I was put in front of a jury as well. It really does piss me off.

nb: for those who dont know who idiothead is...see my interview in whos who

ladygstar
09-08-2007, 03:27 PM
I can remember the sheer hell I went through after my kids were put on the social services at risk register and all because of Idiothead.
Because of what had happened to me the kids were affected...and after I had him arrested...it was like I was put in front of a jury as well. It really does piss me off.

nb: for those who dont know who idiothead is...see my interview in whos who

*nips back to give crazy_grrluk a huggle then runs away from this thread again before I start on another rant*

crazy_grrluk
09-08-2007, 03:30 PM
oOo huggles...now i love those

huggles back

crazy_grrluk
09-08-2007, 03:40 PM
Latest news report

McCanns 'to remain in Portugal'

Kate McCann declared formal suspect in disappearance of daughter Madeleine

Missing Madeleine McCann's parents will stay in Portugal to help police after being named as suspects in their daughter's disappearance, a family friend said.

Portuguese detectives made Kate and Gerry McCann "arguidos", or formal suspects, on Friday while re-interviewing them about what happened to their daughter.

The couple want to return from the Algarve to their home in Rothley, Leicestershire, with their two-year-old twins Sean and Amelie. But after Friday's dramatic developments - and with the threat of being charged over Madeleine's death hanging over them - they have decided to remain in Portugal.

Earlier, Gerry McCann's sister Philomena McCann said the couple wished to return to Britain but are worried it may appear that they are "running scared" if they return home to Britain.

The family friend, speaking in Portugal, said: "At the moment it is their intention to stay here. However, they would very much like to go home... They are in a position at the moment whereby they have been made arguidos. They obviously want to help the police. I think they feel that it wouldn't be right to have ... jumped on a plane to go home."

The McCanns have remained in the seaside village of Praia da Luz since Madeleine went missing from their holiday apartment in May.

The couple had planned to join worshippers at a special ecumenical service at the village church of Nossa Senhora da Luz. But they will now stay at home all day and pray privately because of concerns about the huge media interest in their movements.

Mrs McCann fears she will now be charged over Madeleine's death after Portuguese police asked her directly whether she killed her daughter.

Detectives offered her a "deal" - a guaranteed jail sentence of no more than two years - if she confessed to accidentally killing her daughter, Mr McCann's sister Philomena McCann said. But Mrs McCann refused, saying, "How dare you, how dare you use emotional blackmail to get me to confess to something I didn't do?", according to ITV News.

The couple are said to be "in a state of shock but also extraordinarily angry" about the police moves.

gagged_Louise
09-08-2007, 03:46 PM
*joins in the group hug with cg and ladygstar after reading about your shitty 18-months marriage*

crazy_grrluk
09-08-2007, 03:49 PM
what annoyed me more was I was the one who had to go for counciling..not him...sighz

crazy_grrluk
09-09-2007, 01:39 AM
Latest new on this subject...shakes head

Madeleine's family fly home
09/09/2007 09:20

Missing Madeleine McCann's family arrived at a Portuguese airport to fly home to Britain.

Kate and Gerry McCann set off from the village of Praia da Luz with their two-year-old twins Sean and Amelie at 7.10am. They arrived at Faro Airport just after 8am and are expected to fly back to East Midlands Airport on the 9.30am easyJet flight.

Madeleine's parents fear they could be charged over their daughter's death after Portuguese police named them as "arguidos", or official suspects, in her disappearance.

After undergoing intense questioning by detectives on Thursday and Friday, they wanted to fly back to their home in Rothley, Leicestershire, as soon as possible.

The McCanns' spokeswoman confirmed their last-minute decision to fly home in a statement just after midnight. She said: "Kate and Gerry will be returning home to the UK this morning as originally planned. They will depart from Faro Airport. It is emphasised that their return is with the full agreement of the Portuguese authorities and police."

The McCanns have no bail conditions attached to their arguido status and still retain their passports. But police could in theory apply for a court to impose movement restrictions on them.

Several weeks ago the couple made provisional plans to return to the UK with Sean and Amelie on Sunday. But they put this on hold after Portuguese police summoned them back in for questioning this week and made them arguidos.

Family friends said on Saturday that the couple intended to remain in the Algarve for the time being to "help the police", but were taking legal advice on whether they could return to the UK.

Now in a sudden turnabout they have reinstated the original plans. Mr McCann's sister Philomena, 43, spoke to her brother on the telephone on Saturday, just hours after he left a Portuguese police station following eight hours of questioning. She said the family still hoped to leave Portugal and return to Britain within days, but were worried about how it would be interpreted.

"Gerry is saying he doesn't want it to look like they are running scared," she added. "He doesn't want it too look as if they are running away, because that is nonsense."

gagged_Louise
09-09-2007, 02:26 AM
Will be interesting to see how the papers will be covering the story when they return ("our countrymen being unjustly harassed by the chicos" or "couple running away from justice"?) And what about the non-UK tabloids that have been shamelessly lifting over and rewriting the Sun's reporting with almost nil real input of their own? You know, The Sun isn't the most credible source in the media world...

crazy_grrluk
09-09-2007, 02:27 AM
well if they looking for publicity, they gonna get it as soon as they land in a cpl of hrs

nk_lion
09-11-2007, 10:12 PM
Remember all...innocent unless proven guilty

rach
09-12-2007, 12:34 PM
It all seems so peculiar!
Nothing is getting clearer. If they are innocent, they'll probably never know what really happened to their little girl, and if they are guilty, they are unlikely to be convicted.

A huge mess either way.

gagged_Louise
09-12-2007, 12:50 PM
I agree the parents haven't been formally arrested and there isn't a cogent case yet (DNA traces doesn't quite equal fingerprints, and since there was apparently just two rental cars in that place, it's comnceivable that a killer/abductor could have used it before the McCann couple did - though I can't see a local criminal would be transporting a live or dead Madeline in a rental car while every cop in the country and thousands of others are looking for the girl)

Anyway, honestly I'm less cross with them than with the media who have blown the story out of any proportion and also helped the McCanns milk the thing and capitalize on it. The couple have been helping to sell newspaper copies all over the world, or most of it.

ThisYouWillDo
12-14-2007, 06:05 AM
Just skimmed through this. A few points:

We don't know if Maddie's dead or alive yet. We may have our own gut feelings, but that's all they are.

Maddie's parents clearly have friends in high places. (I believe, but am not positive, that they have a friend or relative who works for a TV company.) They have used their contacts to keep the profile of the case on the front pages. I see nothing wrong in doing that - I'm sure I would do it too. They're being hard-headed about things.

They set up a trust to collect the money that people sent to help find her. Better than just pocketing it. Trust funds can only be used for specific purposes, and to use the money for anything else is a breach of trust. Only the Trustees have power to spend the money, and, as far as I'm aware, the parents are not Trustees.

They also employed someone to go about raising contributions and public awareness, resulting in a trust fund of enormous size. They then used the money to pay for private detectives, and to finance trips to other countries where they thought they might be able to get a lead on Maddie's whereabouts. As Roman Catholics they sought the support of the Church and obtained an audience with the Pope. What's wrong with that?

I just don't buy into the idea that they used the opportunity of their daughter's disappearance to raise money for trips around the world. I'd hate to be travelling anywhere under those circumstances.

I also don't buy into the idea that they killed her and have decided to launch a huge publicity campaign to distract attention from themselves ... something like hiding in plain sight, perhaps. That's such a high-risk strategy. Too risky, in my view. Anyway, as has been said above, the parents are innocent until proven guilty. But being innocent doesn't put them above suspicion. I admit I am equivocal about them. But suspicions have to be based on facts, and the ones we know of aren't sufficient to point the finger of blame. Except in one respect ... the fact that they left their children alone! I think that's highly negligent and I am amazed the parents haven't been charged with neglect in Portugal or UK.

What's even more alarming is that the McCanns were with a group of other doctors/professional people and they had ALL left their children alone in their respective apartments.

If Ms Singlemum had left 3-year old Traci and little baby Brad alone in their council flat in Lewisham while she nipped down to the local for a quick drink and a packet of fags, and the authorities got to hear of it, the kids'd be in a children's home as quick as you like and Ms Singlemum would be facing charges of child neglect. But she doesn't have friends in high places.

TYWD

gagged_Louise
12-14-2007, 02:50 PM
Yes it's plain that the McCann's have some friends who were able to help gather attention to the case - they do know one or two people in tv and the media, this was pointed out in a BBC feature not long ago. There's nothing guilty about knowing such people or wanting to use those contacts, but the point where it gets troublesome is that they've used this overlong, intense and well orchestrated media campaign to sell their own ideas of what happened, and to influence and pressurize the work of the police, the crime investigation.

Generally it's a no-no that the person/s who are bringing a case or who suffered damage would be let in on the investigations to guide them, apart from being heard by the police. They're not given the gears to heavily sway how something is treated by the police or prosecutors. The reason is plain: we don't want the police and the law to be driven to become pawns of the personal wishes of people, however angry or hurt they may feel. The law should not be a vendetta game, and if one party is "sitting in" or pressuring the inquest that's where you may land. The inquest going on now in London about the death of princess Diana shows, I think, that there's been heavy lobbying and attempts to influence the judiciary in that case in the ten years gone by, though this time around the court seems determined not to let the people around the case run the proceedings.

By selling the idea that Madeline was abducted - not killed or accidentally dead at Prada de Luz - her parents have been able to strongly discourage the police from looking too closely into the case from the point that the girl could be dead, and police investigations of this kind often do need to focus and concentrate their punch to be effective.
Now if she was abducted, why haven't those guys come out and made a demand for a ransom? The idea that she'd have been taken away by paedophhiles or traffickers is not likely.

The couple created a kind of media wall that made it very uncomfortable to make house searches, to question up close the McCanns and the other families who had lived near them. I haven't followed this in high detail, but it seems plain that almost from the start the parents and the British media presented the Portuguese cops as incompetent, and hinted if these got too close that they were throwing muck at the McCanns. TV and papers from the rest of the world just followed the UK dailies.

Now that's nothing very strange: it's a knee-jerk reaction in most countries that if one "of our own", not a known criminal and not a dope smuggler (exception!) but a countryman is connected to a crime abroad, the domestic media will side with this person and defend him/her against "corrupt cops" and "local thugs" in Greece, Thailand or wherever..But it's unusual that people who are actively "in the case" on one side are influencing that kind of media colouring (or is it more common than we'd like to think?)

After the McCanns returned to England they have started talking of setting up a parallel investigation because, again, the Portuguese cops (assisted by Scotland Yard) are not doing their job properly and are indulging in slandering the McCanns. This is ludicrous, they should understand that now they are actually suspects they shouldn't have anything to do with running the investigation and least of all set up their own search force. I know this is sometimes not how it happens in tv crime fiction, where it's kind of regular that the suspected have to find the evidence themselves to clear their names, but we're not talking McGyver here. I think it's beyond question they knew they were mounting a media offensive almost from the start.

If the parents did kill their girl in a premeditated way and then at once mounted this "Find Madeline!" campaign, they'd come out as very coldblooded, almost psychopathic. It seems more likely to me that her death was an accident and they felt a need to cover it up. Whatever, it's possible that there will never be a conclusive outcome in court. It may be impossible to prove now that the parents or anyone else were cause of her death; the dna traces in that rental car won't get anyone sentenced if it rests just on that piece (the abductors could have used the same car!) When you want to solve a murder, the best chance is to get the vital leads quickly; after just two weeks it may be cold.

I'm really less concerned whether Mrs McCann is a monster or a saint than with how the media have helped exploit the story. As ladygstar and yourself pointed out, if a single black mom in Lewisham had left her kids unguarded when she went to the pub for a few hours, the social services would have taken them from her. Yes, perhaps, but if a robber had got in before and killed or maimed the kids? Then the mom surely would have been lambasted in every newspaper from Aberdeen to Jersey.

ThisYouWillDo
12-14-2007, 08:23 PM
I do share your doubts, to some extent at least. But to my mind there's no reason to expect the McCanns to prove their innocence (of a crime we don't even know has been committed: Maddie may yet be alive).

It's also highly perjorative to my way of thinking to designate someone an aguido, or suspect, when there's no defininte crime to suspect them of. And if you say you suspect someone of something, you can expect them to do whatever they can to allay that suspicion.

It's up to the prosecutors to find evidence with which to accuse them, and if they can't, there's no case to answer.

TYWD

gagged_Louise
12-14-2007, 09:40 PM
In most countries it's extremely hard to formally get anyone convicted of murder (or manslaughter) if you don't have a corpse to point to; even if you have the corpse but the parts where the killing act "kicked in" are missing (as when a body has been dismembered and spread about) it can be impossible. So the case doesn't go to court: to get someone convicted you want hard forensic evidence. Most courts also like to see a weapon that's supposed to have been used.

Still, I think the police are justified in working on the assumption that the parents may have been involved in their daughter's death/disappearance. So many murders are committed by friends, family or next-of-kin, and the longer she's gone withoiut anything really to support the idea that she's been abducted, the more it becomes viable to look for other paths. Naming someone as a suspect is a formal thing of course, something you don't do unless you have some kind of idea of what happened and some "soft evidence" but the case doesn't have to be complete and watertight at the moment when they are named. Anyone will see that the parents are not being named as guilty at this point, before anything has even gone to court, and if it does go to court, it's a totally safe bet there will be several rounds.

No one has to look upon the couple as "the definite killers" but the trouble is that the media, when writing about crimes, scandals and suspect crimes will often rely so heavily on the police and the prosecutors or - in this case - on somebody who has been a part of the story all along. No one can deny the media to write about what they get, but you'd hope they could at least evaluate what they wrote after a while and take a hard look: is this an interesting story? are we doing a good job here? is anything even happening here?

In the two months or so before the police singled out the parents as suspects, almost nothing happened except for stuff that the McCanns and the media generated by themselves: Beckham, the visit to the Pope, a number of claimed "sightings of Madeline" and a lot of interviews. The story snowballed, but nothing was happening. I really think it's unsound reporting, and honestly I dislike it for the same reason that I'm not very fond of excessive conspiracy writing about big disasters: it lives off a boil of sensationalized feelings.

ThisYouWillDo
12-15-2007, 07:41 PM
In the UK, and, I suspect, in many other places, a "suspect" is a simple description of a person who could be implicated in a crime and who has not been "cleared". Anyone can be a suspect. It is relatively unimportant that you are considered a suspect until you are charged with an offence and your legal rights are unaffected by whether the police regard you as a suspect or not.

In Portugal, it appears that, if the police designate you as an aguido, your legal rights do change. You are subject to certain restrictions, and you are entitled to build a defence to possible charges, which (I understand) you are not allowed to do if you are not an aguido. Presumably, to do so would be seen as obstructive in some way. If "aguido" has a particular status in the criminal law, then surely a person may only be designated such under specific circumstances. What are those circumstances and how are they met in this case?

The McCanns have been the subject of blunt criticism and suggestions of the most serious kind of crime you can commit, all over the world. They need to be able to answer those accusations, if they can; and outside Portugal, they are free to do so.

TYWD

gagged_Louise
12-15-2007, 09:43 PM
The McCanns have been the subject of blunt criticism and suggestions of the most serious kind of crime you can commit, all over the world. They need to be able to answer those accusations, if they can; and outside Portugal, they are free to do so.

TYWD

Of course they should have that freedom to plead for themselves, and it seems to me they still have it. The trouble begins when a part in the case tries decisively, more or less openly, to guide the work of the police, make them go in one direction and keep out of other areas. There has to be a clear boundary between publicity/interviews and journalism on one hand and the police work on the other, and because the news is getting very upfront with persons - everything is personalized - some interviews and scoops really spell a kind of campaign writing, attempts to wrestle for control over what the police are doing.

Most of what's been written about this in the UK, at least before the couple were named as aguidos and returned home, has been following the view that Madeline's been abducted and has been very favourable to the parents, isn't that true? Outside of the UK and Portugal, I think almost all coverage up to that moment was from their point of view, and much of what's been around in newspapers in Sweden is simple rewrite of The Sun and News Of the World, two papers that are not known for doing careful and unbiased research into a story.

Moonraker
12-17-2007, 09:08 AM
ThisYouWillDo

I read in Portugal officially naming a person as suspect gives the police additional questioning powers. This may not mean the police suspect the person of commiting the crime, it may simply mean they think the person is withholding information. The article I read suggested the police had reason to think the parents were not being helpful and needed those additional powers in order to try to get the information they wanted.

I would imagine ruling out family and those close to the victim is a step 1 in police procedure given the high percentage of case where the perp knows the victim. People may be reading too much into the naming of the parents as suspects.

This case reminds me very much of the JonBenet case. Unusual circumstances, professional parents, police unsatisfied with the parents cooperation, use of media etc.

ThisYouWillDo
12-17-2007, 10:56 AM
An aguido also has rights that another person does not have. This means that the stakes have been raised. An aguido is closer to being charged than any other person involved in the crime. And the consequences of being named an aguido are significant too, because the designation is made publicly. Police should not take this step lightly.

I accept that close family members are the first to be suspected, but they are still entitled to defend themselves.

Turning to the JonBenet case, her parents also came under strong suspicion. But no-one could prove they were guilty of her death, despite the many and varied theories that were dreamt up. I could dream one up right now implicating Kate McCann as JonBenet's killer, if I liked, and I could offer a suggestion that maybe John Ramsay was responsible for Maddie's disappearance too: why should the McCann's have a beautiful daughter if he couldn't .... or something like that. Totally preposterous, of course, and once in the public domain, highly perjorative.

All the material evidence in the JonBenet case indicated that someone else was the killer, not the parents at all. Only malicious newspapers and gossip-mongers chose to point the finger of blame at the mother and father. Let's not see the same thing happen again. If the McCanns have questions to answer, let them do so. But don't make up the answers for them.

If the police can't say they did it, nor can anyone else.

TYWD

Thorne
12-17-2007, 02:21 PM
All the material evidence in the JonBenet case indicated that someone else was the killer, not the parents at all. Only malicious newspapers and gossip-mongers chose to point the finger of blame at the mother and father. Let's not see the same thing happen again. If the McCanns have questions to answer, let them do so. But don't make up the answers for them.

Unfortunately, the police and/or prosecutors were so focused on the Ramsey's that they apparently disregarded (and possibly suppressed) any evidence which didn't seem to point to them. And the news media stepped right into line with the police, at least at first, all but convicting the Ramsey's of the crime without any corroborating evidence.

I haven't paid all that close attention to the McCann case, but it's my understanding that the Portuguese police are doing much the same, focusing on the parents to the exclusion of any other evidence. If this is so then you certainly can't blame the parents for getting their message out into the open, forcing the police to look elsewhere.

gagged_Louise
12-17-2007, 08:20 PM
Well, I have not been following all the twists of the Madeline McCann case in minute detail, certainly not from the start, but I think Moonraker is right in saying the police seem to have felt the parents were uncooperative - not offering tbe kind of assistance that people would most often give when they are living the shock that their child (or a parent) has disappeared. The business about that toy animal, for instance, which the police would have liked to see and examine at once: refused (I don't recall if it was before or after, that the police search dogs had spotted "smell of death" on this cuddle pet, but the McCanns were clearly not keen on handing it over to them for a brief spell)
These parents preferred, after the first two or three days, to grind their axes through the media, were followed by reporters everywhere they went, and held press conferences as if the police didn't exist (everyone knows it can be vital not to toss about facts of who did what or about the scene of the crime before you have someone charged in court - for one thing you want to be able to separate out the crackpots who turn up at the police's door in sensational cases like this, or write letters, saying I did it! by probing them about some things only the police, the real perpetrators and the injured family would know...) The local police force at Prada de Luz is obviously a small one, but they soon got assistance from police squads higher up.

TYWD, I plainly don't think the idea that the family were spied out by a bunch of paedophiles or other abductors is a credible one - why strike in this tourist town when you can no doubt get kids much safer in the countryside or just by importing them from Eastern Europe? Paedophiles don't much care about that it should be a fair English kid, but the media do. - Even car traffic seems to be rare which would make the crucial step of getting away from the place with a child who doesn't know you at all a very exposed and risky one. And if it was a standard kidnapping, why hasn't anyone turned up and demanded ransom money?

You may surmise that Mr. Ramsey or any John Blow abducted the girl, but the police have to be allowed to make a useful investigation, gather up technical traces and information and to single out, over time, who they think could be likely suspects - and try gaian if it proves aded end.

None of us seem to know just what is the legal import of "aguidos" but I think Moonraker could be right that it doesn't by default mean "prime suspects for being involved in the crime", but could also be a way of giving both police and the aguidos new powers of formal investigation/knowledge.

ThisYouWillDo
12-18-2007, 04:05 AM
Louise

I have no answer to offer about the toy animal. Let the McCanns tell us why they refused to allow it to be examined. I carry no brief for the McCann family: if they are guilty then I want them convicted as much as anyone. But not convicted on the basis of a witch-hunt. Nor on the basis that, if the police cannot find anyone else, then it must have been them. I want them convicted after rigorous examination of the evidence by a properly constituted court.

Nor do I know if Maddie was kidnapped by a gang of paedophiles after the family had been spied on for a while. However, ALL the parents in that group do appear to have been amazingly lax in the way they left the children alone in the evenings, so anyone who was spying would have soon spotted an easy opportunity. And Maddie was probably the prettiest child there. But the get-away shouldn't have been a problem: a quiet holiday village in the evening. There's not likely to have been too much traffic around at all.

I have no idea why they didn't demand a ransom. Maybe they've already sold her on. Maybe she's dead. No-one but them knows.

The local police force might be the Portugese equivalent of country yokels, but they are professionals. They also have all the resources of the Portugese authorities and they called upon the assistance of the Leicestershire Constabulary - the UK police force where the McCanns live. They would have known if the McCanns were doing something they shouldn't do under Portugese law by creating the publicity, and they would have told them to stop. But they didn't. If the police don't object, why should anyone else?

You have said the police have to be allowed to complete their investigation, and I agree absolutely. But until they prefer charges against Kate and/or Gerry McCann, or against someone else, we should not assume it was the McCanns by default.

As for "aguido status", Moonraker said he believed it gave the police extra powers, and it certainly does. He did not say it gave the suspect rights too, I said that. An aguido is entitled under the law to know precisely what it is he is suspected of, and to seek legal counsel in order to mount a defence. He is also entitled not to answer questions (whereas failure to do so before becoming an aguido would be seen as non-cooperation and suspicious in itself).

TYWD

Moonraker
12-18-2007, 07:35 AM
Given the police were less than satisfied with the cooperation from the parents it seems only natural to me its standard procedure to look closer at people suspected of lieing or witholding information.

Assuming it's not the parents, the detective agency may be close in thinking an employee tipped somebody off. I can't quite see that though because of the narrow time window, but then again maybe not so narrow if the parents had established a routine. My money goes on an employee either as accomplice or killer.