PDA

View Full Version : Politician Sues God To Make A Point

Rhabbi
09-18-2007, 12:05 PM
This actualy cracked me up when I read the headline, but not sure if it belongs or in Philosophy and Religion, or even Whimsical Ideas, but I hope you all think it is as funy as I did.

Politician Sues God To Make A Point (http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_14849.aspx)

pixie_dust
09-18-2007, 12:32 PM
I just have one question...

When will he be on the Presidential Ballot?

nia25
09-23-2007, 08:02 PM
I wonder how that would actually work lol

gagged_Louise
09-23-2007, 08:22 PM
I remember hearing an Italian politician attempted much the same move a few years ago, but he did it in earnest: he sued the Church - the Roman Catholic Church, primarily - in an ordinary municipal court for lying and deceiving by the claim that God would exist and that Jesus had actually lived and died for our sins. I've forgotten just how he prhrased his da Vinci Code-like pursuit - the guy was 75 years old and it sounded like a vent case - but his lawsuit was thrown out of court soon anyway.... ;)

nk_lion
09-24-2007, 10:39 AM
They ran out of people to sue?

gagged_Louise
09-24-2007, 12:29 PM
They ran out of people to sue?

he may have wanted to sue the Pope, but far as I know that man doesn't reside in Italy ;)

Rhabbi
09-24-2007, 02:42 PM
I remember hearing an Italian politician attempted much the same move a few years ago, but he did it in earnest: he sued the Church - the Roman Catholic Church, primarily - in an ordinary municipal court for lying and deceiving by the claim that God would exist and that Jesus had actually lived and died for our sins. I've forgotten just how he prhrased his da Vinci Code-like pursuit - the guy was 75 years old and it sounded like a vent case - but his lawsuit was thrown out of court soon anyway.... ;)

I remember that case, I think the court threw it out because the man was unable to prove his contention that the Bible was false.

gagged_Louise
09-24-2007, 03:35 PM
Funny thing is, far as I know, the contention that the Bible must be flawless and historically, literally truthful is a protestant view (Southern Baptists, for instance) rather than a Roman Catholic one (though some catholics may hold it)

_ID_
09-24-2007, 03:48 PM
This guy got a response to his lawsuit.

A legislator who filed a lawsuit against God has gotten something he might not have expected: a response.

State Sen. Ernie Chambers of Omaha sued God last week, seeking a permanent injunction against the Almighty for making terroristic threats, inspiring fear and causing "widespread death, destruction and terrorization of millions upon millions of the Earth's inhabitants."

Chambers, a self-proclaimed agnostic who often criticizes Christians, said his filing was triggered by a federal lawsuit he considers frivolous. He said he's trying to makes the point that anybody can sue anybody.

Not so, says "God." His response argues that the defendant is immune from some earthly laws and the court lacks jurisdiction.

There was no contact information on the filing, although St. Michael the Archangel is listed as a witness

Dorkalicious
09-24-2007, 07:02 PM
Bah. I love this country.

fantazmaster
09-25-2007, 01:33 AM
This one is going to be interesting as in the first place from a process of service
standpoint,in other words serving the defendent with the summons.Then getting him to show up for the deposition.Yes there is the possibility here of a default
judgement ,but frankly I am thinking this one may well go the way of the mega lawsuit against the D.C. dry cleaner.

ThisYouWillDo
12-12-2007, 06:56 PM
And after suing Jehova, we can turn our attention to Ram and Hanuman. The following report appeared on the BBC website:_

Hindu gods get summons from court

By Amarnath Tewary
Patna

A judge in India has summoned two Hindu gods, Ram and Hanuman, to help resolve a property dispute. Judge Sunil Kumar Singh in the eastern state of Jharkhand has issued adverts in newspapers asking the gods to "appear before the court personally".

The gods have been asked to appear before the court on Tuesday, after the judge said that letters addressed to them had gone unanswered.

Ram and Hanuman are among the most popular Indian Hindu gods.

Judge Singh presides in a "fast track" court - designed to resolve disputes quickly - in the city of Dhanbad.

The dispute is now 20 years old and revolves around the ownership of a 1.4 acre plot of land housing two temples.

The deities of Ram and Hanuman, the monkey god, are worshipped at the two temples on the land.

Temple priest Manmohan Pathak claims the land belongs to him. Locals say it belongs to the two deities.

The two sides first went to court in 1987.

A few years ago, the dispute was settled in favour of the locals. Then Mr Pathak challenged the verdict in a fast track court.

Gift

Judge Singh sent out two notices to the deities, but they were returned as the addresses were found to be "incomplete".

This prompted him to put out adverts in local newspapers summoning the gods.

"You failed to appear in court despite notices sent by a peon and later through registered post. You are herby directed to appear before the court personally", Judge Singh's notice said.

The two Hindu gods have been summoned as the defence claimed that they were owners of the disputed land.

"Since the land has been donated to the gods, it is necessary to make them a party to the case," local lawyer Bijan Rawani said.

Mr Pathak said the land was given to his grandfather by a former local king.

Midnite
12-15-2007, 10:19 AM
Just one question, if he wins how is he going to make God pay, also I think he is making a mistake because he might get God mad at him.