PDA

View Full Version : Police State 2008

Ocean_Soul
10-01-2007, 09:19 PM
I'm not sure what to make of this, but Paul Craig Roberts doesn't exactly seem like the type of person to be a wackjob, from my limited research on him at least.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLFBUrHPmNM

I'm not well versed in legal-speak but from my reading of Executive Order 13438 (the one mentioned on the video issued on July 17 2007) I think the host's opinions are a little skewed and not legally defined in the order. Could be wrong though and really is just a small piece of the puzzle.

Maybe this is old news, but politically I'm a bit out of the loop right now.

_ID_
10-02-2007, 04:48 AM
For many years now people have been saying that anyone who talks like this is a conspiracy theorist. As more and more people move into this line of thinking, does it remain a conspiracy?

jeanne
10-02-2007, 05:51 AM
And, does it remain just a theory?

Warbaby1943
10-02-2007, 06:15 AM
But can anyone deny that we are and have been a police state for many years now? I have lost so many freedoms in the past 50 years I truly fear for my grandchildren. If we are the freest country in the world I sure feel sorry for the rest of the planet.

Rhabbi
10-02-2007, 06:50 AM
Just because you are paranoid does not mean that everyone is not out to get you.

Warbaby1943
10-02-2007, 08:07 AM
Just because you are paranoid does not mean that everyone is not out to get you.So true. LOL

Problem is they have to laws to use to get you.

Ocean_Soul
10-02-2007, 01:15 PM
If we are the freest country in the world I sure feel sorry for the rest of the planet.

Don't worry, you don't have to. The "Freest country in the world" slogan is probably just a bit outdated despite the fact that it's still used.

StillBehindBlueEyes
10-02-2007, 03:23 PM
Don't worry, you don't have to. The "Freest country in the world" slogan is probably just a bit outdated despite the fact that it's still used.

Curious, then who would you bestow this title to?
Sbbe

_ID_
10-02-2007, 05:25 PM
I would say freedom of speech would be a defining factor, and since there is an executive order *per the video, and other sources i have seen* that limits dissent in regards to the war on terror, I would say that particular liberty is pretty well eroded. So the question remains, what other countries have freedom of speech like America had 40 years ago?

Ocean_Soul
10-02-2007, 07:37 PM
I'm not going to attempt to determine which country is the freest, I don't have enough really information to say for sure.

That being said, as a Canadian I've never had even the semblance of a feeling that I had to limit anything I've wanted to say or be. And not a single law that attempts to pry into my privacy. Gay marriage is fully legal here and we're only the 4th country to do. There's more but I don't really need much.

I by no means claim to be in the freest, but I don't see us heading backwards like the US seems to be.

Oh, but we can't carry a gun around on the streets. But I'm fine with that.

Edit. Oh and there's no meter telling me how scared I should be. I consider that a form of freedom as well.

StillBehindBlueEyes
10-04-2007, 08:12 AM
I've been very concerned about the loss of freedoms we’ve been experiencing over the last few years. I get a “hair on the back of the neck,” feeling every time I drive through a camera intersection that used to be actuated and is now nothing but annoying.

I find it extremely disconcerting as I watch and read the news that they don’t seem to be noticing it. It’s more important what Britney is showing or how loudly they can yell about the troops in Iraq.

I don’t smoke and sneeze when around it because of years of living in a smoking home, but smokers loosing the right to smoke has scared me the deepest. I see this as a template for a real surge in the loss of freedoms. I can just see some old man in a dark back room smoking a big cigar, “Well what’s next Sam, just how much can we take away before they notice?”

Midnite
11-22-2007, 01:19 PM
I've been very concerned about the loss of freedoms we’ve been experiencing over the last few years. I get a “hair on the back of the neck,” feeling every time I drive through a camera intersection that used to be actuated and is now nothing but annoying.

I find it extremely disconcerting as I watch and read the news that they don’t seem to be noticing it. It’s more important what Britney is showing or how loudly they can yell about the troops in Iraq.

I don’t smoke and sneeze when around it because of years of living in a smoking home, but smokers loosing the right to smoke has scared me the deepest. I see this as a template for a real surge in the loss of freedoms. I can just see some old man in a dark back room smoking a big cigar, “Well what’s next Sam, just how much can we take away before they notice?”

Enjoy your beef and alcohol, they are going to come after those next.