PDA

View Full Version : What should "Overall Most Popular Stories" mean?

Captv8td
03-21-2004, 08:19 PM
The site has a listing of most highly rated stories. And it has a list of most reviewed stories. And then it has a listing of the "overall most popular stories." When I looked at that last listing, it had nothing to do with the number of ratings or the level of the ratings. The only thing that I could figure out was that it had to do with the number of people who clicked on the story. My guess is that I could write a totally nonsensical story and title it "Lesbian Snuff Queens Captured By Mind Stealers and Given to their Great Danes" and get enough hits to skyrocket to the top of the list.

I think that "most popular" should have something to do with the number and level of ratings instead of just the number of people who looked at the synopsis.

But then, maybe I am missing something.

Lord Douche
03-22-2004, 03:18 AM
I'm pretty sure that it's only counted as a "read" if you load one of the chapters. Viewing the Synopsis isn't enough to do it.
I think that the number of Reviews, and the number of Bookshelves it's on should have a bearing on it.
*plans to talk to Jinn about it*
LD

fetish101
03-22-2004, 02:23 PM
perhaps not number of reviews, but the actuall star level it recieved should be included. Also, I'm not so sure people necessarily use the bookshelf feature even if it is a really good story..I know I don't.

Powerone
03-25-2004, 10:39 PM
Captv8td

Having a number of stories in the Overall Popularity list I don't think it is as easy as posting as

"My guess is that I could write a totally nonsensical story and title it "Lesbian Snuff Queens Captured By Mind Stealers and Given to their Great Danes" and get enough hits to skyrocket to the top of the list."

Not unless you happen to have somewhere between 75,000 and 240,000 friends that have nothing to do but go to the story over and over. But I think you would have trouble even then. Even picking a title is an art "Lesbian Snuff Queens Captured by Mind Stealers and Given to their Great Danes" would give you only a limited group. You would probably get the lesbians, mind stealers and dog lovers to look, but on a BDSM site, I thought your numbers would still be low. LOL

Powerone

fetish101
03-25-2004, 11:13 PM
you forgot snuff lovers in there P1...so that gives him a slightly larger base..lol

Aurelius
03-26-2004, 03:55 AM
(Tries to think of a title which would compel me to download it.)

Look out for my next story...

The School for Torture and Orgasm Training of Kidnapped French Maids.

That could do it!

:)

Actually, Powerone, you're quite a prolific writer, (unlike myself, still trying to escape from Rabbit Island after two years!) Do you think one of your titles get read more because of the ratings or the Title/synopsis? How important do you think it is? Generally your stories have more interesting titles than most.

boccaccio2000g
03-26-2004, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by Aurelius
(Tries to think of a title which would compel me to download it.)

Look out for my next story...

The School for Torture and Orgasm Training of Kidnapped French Maids.

Actually, Powerone, you're quite a prolific writer, (unlike myself, still trying to escape from Rabbit Island after two years!)

Aurelius, RIP (Rabbit Island Prisoner) -- but at least his fellow prisoners make pleasant bunk-mates.

As far as eye-catching titles, those old Men's Magazines had great headline-writers.

"Blonde Sex-slaves of the Nazi Warlord!!!!!"

"Naked at the Mast -- The Nude Lust-Prisoners of Captain Blood!!!"

"Swedish Stewardesses Enslaved by Jungle Savages!!""

I made those up, but you get the general idea ...

Boccaccio

Tiger
03-26-2004, 01:19 PM
The script counts the number of readers to each story and the stories with highest count will be in the "Overall Most Popular Stories". The "Recent Popular" is determined by the counts of current month.

The reader is counted only when he/she clicks in a chapter or the full text page. Seeing the reviews or synopsis pages will not be counted. A reader from the same IP address in the same day will be counted as 1.

How could a visitor cheat? He can read the same story from different computer (so different IP), or he can disconnect and re-establish internet connection if he has dynamic IP setting from ISP. He can also "write a totally nonsensical story and title it "Lesbian Snuff Queens Captured By Mind Stealers and Given to their Great Danes". But that story may not be posted at all. And the readers won't read it again the next day. If some reader is kind enough to notify me, that story will be gone very soon.

Considering 15,000 unique daily readers (they acturally read some story), the cheater will have hell a lot of work to do.

The stories can also be listed according to the ratings. It's hard to combine the story clicks and ratings to get a overall score, unless someone can come up a reasonable way to calculate.

Captv8td
03-27-2004, 09:15 PM
I'm not sure that cheating has anything to do with what I posted. I wasn't saying that people could or would cheat to get people to click on their stories. My point was that the measurement doesn't seem to have anything to do with popularity. It only means that the title was catchy enough for someone to click on a chapter to read a little bit.

Phoenix
03-27-2004, 11:57 PM
Hi Captv8td,

I'm interested to find out that as the author of "To Obey" you're saying I've used unfair means to get the story to it's number one placing on the list?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my story has a lot of chapters in it and the themes strike a cord with many readers. Perhaps that might be simply be a good enough reason why the story is popular. Sure it hasn't got the highest rating of 10/10 but 8/10 isn't bad either.

Don't get me wrong here, I've read your stories and I do enjoy them. And when your stories get up to the amount of work that I've put into my stories, then you'll get ratings in the popular / best rated / etc lists.

I've been writing To Obey since before 2001. That's nearly a good five years of work on one story. I've noted that you've only submitted your stories at the start of this year. Come on Captv8td, give your stories a chance to grow and develop before expecting little achievements like most popular, etc.

I fully expect I'll be knock off as top dog some day in the future. But until then, I feel like I deserve the top honor at the moment. And when the time comes to give credit to the next top dog, you won't see me whining. I know how hard it is to write stories, and whoever takes over number one, I know they would have earned the honor through blood, sweat and many many spelling mistakes.

Okay, I've said my piece. I'm kicking the soapbox over to the next person.

Firebird

Nikita
10-26-2007, 06:57 PM
This thread needs to be bumped.

Could you give us an update on how the Quick Story List, i.e., highest rated, most voted, recent popular, overall popular are rated?

I've been looking at the Quick Story List statistics, the overall ratings, number of readers, and they don't jive with what Tiger says below.

Tiger The script counts the number of readers to each story and the stories with highest count will be in the "Overall Most Popular Stories". The "Recent Popular" is determined by the counts of current month.

The reader is counted only when he/she clicks in a chapter or the full text page. Seeing the reviews or synopsis pages will not be counted. A reader from the same IP address in the same day will be counted as 1.

How could a visitor cheat? He can read the same story from different computer (so different IP), or he can disconnect and re-establish internet connection if he has dynamic IP setting from ISP. He can also "write a totally nonsensical story and title it "Lesbian Snuff Queens Captured By Mind Stealers and Given to their Great Danes". But that story may not be posted at all. And the readers won't read it again the next day. If some reader is kind enough to notify me, that story will be gone very soon.

Considering 15,000 unique daily readers (they acturally read some story), the cheater will have hell a lot of work to do.

The stories can also be listed according to the ratings. It's hard to combine the story clicks and ratings to get a overall score, unless someone can come up a reasonable way to calculate.

Torq
10-26-2007, 09:50 PM
Hello Nikita,
Please let me know what needs to be explained, as Tiger stated its based on story reviews. I'm not sure I understand your question, Please e-mail me and I'll try to answer, Some things may have changed over the past 3 years.
Thanks
T

Nikita
10-30-2007, 11:39 AM
Hello Nikita,
Please let me know what needs to be explained, as Tiger stated its based on story reviews. I'm not sure I understand your question, Please e-mail me and I'll try to answer, Some things may have changed over the past 3 years.
Thanks
T

Hi Torq,

I know your mailbox must be full of messages, but, I sent detailed examples for you to examine. Thanks for taking the time to look into it.

Nikita