PDA

View Full Version : Censorship of random words

_ID_
10-11-2007, 05:21 PM
I would like to make a request to review the words that get censored.

Some of the ones I have seen getting censored recently have been down right idiotic.

blythe spirit
10-11-2007, 06:45 PM
I'd like to make a request that your new avatar is censored.... hehehehe. He's the one that looks like a pervert. A mean, grouchy, yucky pervert, who gives me the willies.

ooops... hope he's not a relative.

Ozme52
10-11-2007, 08:04 PM
That's his Halloween mask-atar.

Please don't tempt him to wear it any longer than necessary. LOL

annie
10-11-2007, 08:06 PM
I noticed that as well ID. Not sure what is up with it. I'll check the Admin panel but that one may be beyond site Admin's control and may be something Tiger needs to take a look at when possible! Thanks for mentioning it though... I think of it and then forget it before it gets very far. :rolleyes:

(And on a side note... I like his Halloween AVA! Why don't you both come join the costume party (http://www.bdsmlibrary.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12880) too!)

blythe spirit
10-11-2007, 08:49 PM
Okay, I was clueless as usual, Oz. But it's certainly a relief that I won't have to look at the avatar much longer.

hehehehe - seems to me Oz is already in costume, annie.

Ozme52
10-11-2007, 09:34 PM
Okay, I was clueless as usual, Oz. But it's certainly a relief that I won't have to look at the avatar much longer.

hehehehe - seems to me Oz is already in costume, annie.

My doorman is always appropriately attired. :rolleyes:

Thorne
10-12-2007, 03:07 AM
I would like to make a request to review the words that get censored.

Some of the ones I have seen getting censored recently have been down right idiotic.

I've noticed that parts of words get censored as well. For example, the word "spe******t" is partially starred out because it contains the word "c-i-a-l-i-s" which is apparently a no-no.

I don't know why the site's censorship software can't distinguish the differences there, but I would think it could be more discriminating than that.

_ID_
10-12-2007, 03:55 AM
If the censorship is to prevent advertising pharmaceutical products, I think that the method taken is rather over done. It's not like we have an abundance of companies coming here attempting to get us to buy their particular pill.

annie
10-12-2007, 04:53 AM
If the censorship is to prevent advertising pharmaceutical products, I think that the method taken is rather over done. It's not like we have an abundance of companies coming here attempting to get us to buy their particular pill.

Currently we don't know... but back several months ago we were having that problem and were removing 3 to 6 ads per day... sometimes per hour! And it just isn't against the drug companies it is against all the companies that do spam advertising...

As to why the software can't better determine... no clue, just as I'm not sure how the words were determined, etc. but I am looking into it! Just not something that can be fixed overnight!

thepast
10-12-2007, 08:06 AM
The software uses a parser like many other programs (MS Word, etc.) that don't recognize context of the word but the word or part of the word itself. Thus and such, anything that comes close to the word that is "deleted" is probably going to appear as ****. It's because when you tell the parser to find and destroy certain words or phrases (like annie mentioned with the pharm companies), it's non-discriminatory towards the content in which the word is used.

Hopes this confuses the hell out of everyone since apparently today I make no sense...

delia

_ID_
10-12-2007, 04:24 PM
No, makes sense. In MS word with parsing searches you can tell the search feature to use whole words only rather than just parts of words or anywhere in words. Is that an option?

Thorne
10-12-2007, 08:21 PM
No, makes sense. In MS word with parsing searches you can tell the search feature to use whole words only rather than just parts of words or anywhere in words. Is that an option?

Yeah, something like that would work well, I would think. Or perhaps the ability to put exceptions into the software, for common words which might contain the proscribed word, as in my example earlier.