PDA

View Full Version : 2008

mkemse
10-17-2007, 10:18 AM
Plain and simple, who would YOU like to see in the White house in January 2009??

M@ster{sg}
10-17-2007, 10:25 AM
I would like to do it myself, but I guess they won't let me... *sigh*

anyway, since I'm not a US resident, and don't follow those politics closely... who are the candidates?

Kind Greetings
M@ster

Isabelle90
10-17-2007, 10:28 AM
Personally, I've not been all that impressed with any of the candidates on EITHER side.

Okay, don't beat me down, but I liked the approach Ross Perot took in 1992. There are a plethora of facets to running our country, but the public, no matter what they say, ultimately wants our country to prosper economically. Ross Perot was a successful business man that wanted to run the US as a business. Yes, there is a lot more to it, but if we go by economy issues (gas prices seems to top the list for most) then, I feel that is the primary focus a president should take.

As for the "popularity" of the US. I'm not sure we've ever been that "popular" with other countries, except in our own minds. Kind of the alpha male syndrome....

mkemse
10-17-2007, 10:37 AM
Personally, I've not been all that impressed with any of the candidates on EITHER side.

Okay, don't beat me down, but I liked the approach Ross Perot took in 1992. There are a plethora of facets to running our country, but the public, no matter what they say, ultimately wants our country to prosper economically. Ross Perot was a successful business man that wanted to run the US as a business. Yes, there is a lot more to it, but if we go by economy issues (gas prices seems to top the list for most) then, I feel that is the primary focus a president should take.

As for the "popularity" of the US. I'm not sure we've ever been that "popular" with other countries, except in our own minds. Kind of the alpha male syndrome....

right now anyway, the leading Candidates for Republicans are Mit Romney, Rudolph Guiliana, and to a lesser degree john Mcaon, the Democrates, more of a 2 way race bween Hilary Clinton and Barak Obamam(American American) intrestingly enough , if all polls are correct right now, Clinton could end up as the first Female President or Obamam as the first Black President,

I am not taking side in the forum yet, just trying to see where USA citizens stand and where those who live outside our country stand

annie
10-17-2007, 10:53 AM
right now anyway, the leading Candidates for Republicans are Mit Romney, Rudolph Guiliana, and to a lesser degree john Mcaon, the Democrates, more of a 2 way race bween Hilary Clinton and Barak Obamam(American American) intrestingly enough , if all polls are correct right now, Clinton could end up as the first Female President or Obamam as the first Black President,

I am not taking side in the forum yet, just trying to see where USA citizens stand and where those who live outside our country stand

Useless trivia but I thought it was cute....

There was a report out this morning that Dick Cheney's wife (current U.S. VP) has been tracing their family history and discovered that Obamam is a very very distant relative.

Obamam's spoke person's response was... "There is a black sheep in every family." :D

Isabelle90
10-17-2007, 11:09 AM

The newest Republican candidate is Fred Thompson. I'm sure there will be comparisons to Ronald Reagan...the acting thing. Ha! Ha!

Too bad we can't put all of these candidates into a jar and mix them up. We might come up with a worthy product.

Just a suggestion.

_ID_
10-17-2007, 12:05 PM
The newest Republican candidate is Fred Thompson. I'm sure there will be comparisons to Ronald Reagan...the acting thing. Ha! Ha!

Too bad we can't put all of these candidates into a jar and mix them up. We might come up with a worthy product.

Just a suggestion.
A blender would work well I think! lol

I thought John Edwards would have been a good choice, but apparently he isn't as popular as I thought he would be. Obama would be a good choice I think, but America is already horribly divided in the area of race, I would be interested to see how having a minority in the white house would affect things. (a side note, Obama isn't purely African American). Same thing with Clinton, as far as Minorities go. However I just don't relish the idea of a Bush Clinton dynasty. Not to mention the history that the Clinton's have with campaign finance and doing shady deals. Perhaps preventing that drama from starting would be a good idea.

As far as republicans go, I don't think there is a best choice of any of them. They are all (Ron Paul might be an exception) ideologically aligned with Bush and the war machine at the moment, and I don't think keeping that status quo is at all a good idea.

Isabelle90
10-20-2007, 12:25 PM
I found these funny...

http://www.cafepress.com/rightwingstuff.165498968

http://www.cafepress.com/rightwingstuff.140395112

I'll be on the lookout for anti-republican too, I promise:) It seems we go to the polls searching for the lesser of all evils. That is, assuming we all go to the polls!

Just looking for the humor!

mkemse
10-20-2007, 12:38 PM
A blender would work well I think! lol

I thought John Edwards would have been a good choice, but apparently he isn't as popular as I thought he would be. Obama would be a good choice I think, but America is already horribly divided in the area of race, I would be interested to see how having a minority in the white house would affect things. (a side note, Obama isn't purely African American). Same thing with Clinton, as far as Minorities go. However I just don't relish the idea of a Bush Clinton dynasty. Not to mention the history that the Clinton's have with campaign finance and doing shady deals. Perhaps preventing that drama from starting would be a good idea.

As far as republicans go, I don't think there is a best choice of any of them. They are all (Ron Paul might be an exception) ideologically aligned with Bush and the war machine at the moment, and I don't think keeping that status quo is at all a good idea.

I beleive Ron Paiul just dropped out, to bad ALL there others don't do the same, let's keep in practice and let the Supremem Court decide who winds, it worked once (not weel) but it worked

Isabelle90
10-20-2007, 12:50 PM
Here's the other side:

http://www.cafepress.com/buy/democrat+2008/-/pv_design_prod/p_1285407.133096957/pNo_133096957/id_19516949/fpt_/opt_/c_666/pg_6

http://www.cafepress.com/buy/democrat/-/pv_design_prod/p_2633591.179571579/pNo_179571579/id_22989312/fpt_/opt_/c_666/pg_2

By the way, I agree IDCrewDawg. A blender might cause more of a chemical change. The "jar" method might produce another physical change like old Bush into W...We could end up with another Clinton!

DungeonMaster6
10-20-2007, 01:15 PM
The race for the White House in 2008 is getting murkier all the time with so many candidates running.

When he initially announced his candidacy I was enthusiastically in support of Obama. He's bright, articulate, smart and seems to have a firm grasp of the issues. My only question about him is his lack of experience. He's only been a Senator for a short while.

Realistically, however, it appears that Hillary has the inside track, especially since Bill is heavily campaigning for her. Even with all his troubles with Monica Lewinsky he's still a very popular person, and he is a definite asset to his wife. I do, nevertheless, have some reservations about Hillary. She was once a Goldwater Republican, and I still think she carries some of Barry's old views. In addition she was once on the board-of-directors of Walmart, which is the largest non-union company in the world, which means she is no friend of organized labor. I don't see the AFL-CIO endorsing her.

John Edwards should be the favorite of Unions, but he's having trouble obtaining there support. I really do like Edwards, but I must wonder if he got elected and his wife were to become seriously ill ( she has cancer ), if his mind would be on his job.

As for the Republicans, I really do think Gulliani did a splendid job as Mayor of New York, even before 9/11. Romney's flip-flopping, McCain I think has lost a lot of his charm, Fred Thompson's a joke, and the rest should save their money and time.

I will just be glad to see January 20, 2009 come...Bush's last day!!!!!

mkemse
10-20-2007, 02:30 PM
The race for the White House in 2008 is getting murkier all the time with so many candidates running.

When he initially announced his candidacy I was enthusiastically in support of Obama. He's bright, articulate, smart and seems to have a firm grasp of the issues. My only question about him is his lack of experience. He's only been a Senator for a short while.

Realistically, however, it appears that Hillary has the inside track, especially since Bill is heavily campaigning for her. Even with all his troubles with Monica Lewinsky he's still a very popular person, and he is a definite asset to his wife. I do, nevertheless, have some reservations about Hillary. She was once a Goldwater Republican, and I still think she carries some of Barry's old views. In addition she was once on the board-of-directors of Walmart, which is the largest non-union company in the world, which means she is no friend of organized labor. I don't see the AFL-CIO endorsing her.

John Edwards should be the favorite of Unions, but he's having trouble obtaining there support. I really do like Edwards, but I must wonder if he got elected and his wife were to become seriously ill ( she has cancer ), if his mind would be on his job.

As for the Republicans, I really do think Gulliani did a splendid job as Mayor of New York, even before 9/11. Romney's flip-flopping, McCain I think has lost a lot of his charm, Fred Thompson's a joke, and the rest should save their money and time.

I will just be glad to see January 20, 2009 come...Bush's last day!!!!!

I agree with your last line, could not agree more

ElectricBadger
10-20-2007, 02:57 PM
Personally, I've predicted Guilliani as our next president for the last year...and I'm still holding to it.

Hillary has enough celebrity appeal to kill off her fellow candidates, but when it comes to real campaigning -- debates, histories, etc -- she doesn't have any real record, and she doesn't have much charisma. Everyone just loves to hate her, and that gets attention, but not the presidency. She would have made a SUPERB vice, incorporating all the Clinton popularity and breaking from the male stereotype, and using the opportunity to work towards the presidency..****nning now is too much too soon.

Obama would also make a great president...in about 8 years. He's smart and idealistic, but not enough of a record to gain a following.

While I'm no Republican, that party is organized and motivated; and Guilliani has charisma and a solid record that can run on his own credentials, as long as he can establish himself as being Republican-but-not-Bush.

DungeonMaster6
10-20-2007, 03:47 PM
I agree with a lot of what you said EB. I think if it came down to Hillary against Gulliani, that would be one hell of a race.

mkemse
11-03-2007, 08:35 PM
If Hillary beat Rudy once she can do it again, I am no Hillary fan, but Washington needs a major cleaning, a newstart, a fresh start as was mandated last November.
Regardless of who both parties nominate, i fully believe that the elections in November 2008, will be oneo f the best to watch we have had in decades, especialy with no incumbent President
But my gut tells me, Iraq, Katrina, Gas Prices ect ect will kill the Republicans in a chance to hold on to the White House

Captain
11-05-2007, 06:24 PM
But my gut tells me, Iraq, Katrina, Gas Prices ect ect will kill the Republicans in a chance to hold on to the White House

What does Katrina and Gas Prices have to do with Republicans? Katrina was a Natural Disaster and the Gas Prices are a result of capitalism. Not too many people have quit driving.

I fault the current administation for:
Some of the failures in Iraq, like not being more forceful and ending it quickly.
Giving into political correctness.
Trying to give amnesty to illegal aliens.
Not protecting our borders.

I don't think the Democrats won the last elections, as much as the Republicans lost it. I'm ready for some real change also, but I don't think any of the candidates have really demonstrated that they are the one. We need a real leader to step up.

mkemse
11-05-2007, 06:34 PM
What does Katrina and Gas Prices have to do with Republicans? Katrina was a Natural Disaster and the Gas Prices are a result of capitalism. Not too many people have quit driving.

I fault the current administation for:
Some of the failures in Iraq, like not being more forceful and ending it quickly.
Giving into political correctness.
Trying to give amnesty to illegal aliens.
Not protecting our borders.

I don't think the Democrats won the last elections, as much as the Republicans lost it. I'm ready for some real change also, but I don't think any of the candidates have really demonstrated that they are the one. We need a real leader to step up.

Bush did nothing for the victims of Katrina expect talk, i see no massive ammounts of money rebuilding new orleans or other areas, 3 plus years later
High oil prices are a result of our governemnt being owned by oil companies, let me ask this 8 years ago when Clinto left office oil was $35 a barrel gas was $1.50 a gallon, Bush has deystroyed the economy of this country, he will not approve the SCHIP because he says it is too expenisve bill but has the gall toask for $56 billoin more for Irag, if we do not give medical coverage to our children that they derserve we will have no children in 15 years to fight, they will die from illneeses because they have no medical coverage, I have Medicare D but was told BY Social Seciruty that I need to pay more outo f my pocket for medication, i can't afford that, I live on a fixed income, and I thank Mr. Bush for his genenrous 2.1% cost of living increase I get next year for my didsability benifits only to have to pay an additoinal $10 for medicval coverage which i was told i CAN NOT OPT out of, Social Security told me 2 weeks ago Meicare D can not be opted outo fo, no coverage they say, too bad they told me
Bushes only intrst is keep those large coporstions and other happy in his pockets
I am not saying the Democrats will clean up the whole mess, it took 8 years to create it, but ANY one hasd to be better the another Republican, anyone
Bush is 100% responabile for all failures in Iraw, we have no businessthere or policing the whole wold, Bush's only goal is to force Democracy on every nation in the world, he could care less about anyone inthe United States who's income is less then $100,00 a year, trust me minei s well below that he could care less abou the commom man, if he did he would aprove the Ship bill, if the SCHIP is to expsensive at $85 million a year, Iraq is WAY to expensiveat $56 billion every 6 moths

and remember 1 thing WHEN CLINTON LIED NOBODY DIED, even Colin Powel no admit there were no WMD's, Bush lied about Iraq as an excuse to invade it and finish the work his father failed to do during Deresrt Storm
Washington Needsa complete make over part of it was started last Novemberwhen the Ameircan people voted the Democratic into control of congress, unfortuenelty they did not give them Dems enough power ro overide vetos, this to shall change in 2008

mkemse
11-05-2007, 06:40 PM
Anf yes, Katrina was a Natural Disaster, but Bush and FEMA did nothning to help survivors most of who still in in Moble homes
But when it came to funding the War oh yes plenty of Money was found for that

Any one know what FEMA stands for??

Captain
11-05-2007, 06:45 PM
Although I disagree with most of what was said in the last few posts, I'm not going to argue. I don't think this is a Republican vs. Democrat issue. I'm a registered Independent and I just want to see a true leader step up in either party.

FEMA - The Secret Government

Isabelle90
11-05-2007, 06:50 PM
FEMA - The Secret Government

X-Files.........The truth is out there............trust no one

mkemse
11-05-2007, 07:35 PM
No
FEMA stands for Federal Emergency My ####

Isabelle90
11-05-2007, 08:01 PM
No
FEMA stands for Federal Emergency My ####

Not a fan of conspiracy theories, I see. :je

, but I don't think any of the candidates have really demonstrated that they are the one. We need a real leader to step up.

Don't you think it's a bit late for a new candidate to "step up?"

Isabelle90
11-06-2007, 09:22 AM
he could care less about anyone inthe United States who's income is less then $100,00 a year, trust me minei s well below that he could care less abou the commom man,

My household income is above $100,000 per year, and while I don't know the president, I did go on a vacation with some personal friends of his from Texas. I got an invitation to a Republican fund raiser. ($1200 per plate! Yeah, right! I've eaten in nice restaurants, but none that upon finishing my meal made me proclaim that it was worth $1200! Besides, I'm not even a registered Republican!!!)

I consider myself quite common. This morning, I got up, let the dogs out, fed the dogs, let the dogs back in, took a shower, got my daughter ready for preschool, took her to preschool, ran to the post office, worked out, cleaned house, and will be picking my daughter up in less than an hour. This afternoon, I will take my child to the grocery store (oh the joys of taking a toddler to the grocery store!).

All of this and I don't feel any love from Bush either. I don't know the man, and probably never will. My father is a die-hard Democrat. He has always believed that the Democrats are "for" the working man. He has told me on several occasions that Ronald Reagan was the worst president America has ever had. (Personally I disagree, but he's my dad so I keep my mouth shut out of respect.) I tend to agree with Reagan on one of his opinions. When asked what the best social plan was, he said that people should get a job.

Also, I live in Indiana. We are a red state and have been for a long time. (I've only checked back as far as Nixon because he was president when I was born. Not that it matters.) However, we have had Democratic governors for a long time. (Not now, though.) We are kind of the Cybil of states! While some are staunch supporters of particular parties, most that I know are really about voting their conscience.

It's all about choices. EVERYONE should try to familiarize themselves, as much as possible, with the candidates running for office and VOTE!!! I'm so tired of hearing how the state of America is the government's fault! We should be more responsible for ourselves. Voting is a way to be responsible.

'nuff said. I run the risk of making sense if I continue!!! LOL

mkemse
11-06-2007, 08:31 PM
The only person I can see that would really offer anything close to rezembling a BIG CHANGE is Colin Powel, but he won't run, he would be the best of anyone who is eligable, but based on the current enviorment in this country and around the United States towards us, his not runnig may be the smartest thing he could do

Isabelle90
11-07-2007, 01:57 PM

The only person I can see that would really offer anything close to rezembling a BIG CHANGE is Colin Powel, but he won't run, he would be the best of anyone who is eligable, but based on the current enviorment in this country and around the United States towards us, his not runnig may be the smartest thing he could do

mkemse, believe it or not, I have read the posts on this thread. When I brought up a former candidate, you replied with the first quote.

I have no problem bringing new ideas to this discussion. As a matter of fact, I agree with you that Colin Powell would make a great candidate, to some degree. However, he is not in the race now.

Based on the information I have seen, Hillary's popularity is wearing thin. Where does that leave the Democratic party? What about the Republicans? I mean, Guilliani certainly is not a conservative. Will we be given the option in '08 of liberal or more liberal?

mkemse
11-07-2007, 03:39 PM
mkemse, believe it or not, I have read the posts on this thread. When I brought up a former candidate, you replied with the first quote.

I have no problem bringing new ideas to this discussion. As a matter of fact, I agree with you that Colin Powell would make a great candidate, to some degree. However, he is not in the race now.

Based on the information I have seen, Hillary's popularity is wearing thin. Where does that leave the Democratic party? What about the Republicans? I mean, Guilliani certainly is not a conservative. Will we be given the option in '08 of liberal or more liberal?

I agree Hillary's popularity is wearing thin, but I also rmember going back to 2004, when EVERYONE had pretty much written all Democrats off except John Dean, then he had that famous Melt down and Kerry went on to win the nomination
I thin every needs to wait til the Iowa Caucus and maybe a few other are over ot get a better guage, after 2 caucuses, starting with Iowa I imagine alot of players on both sides wil be dropping out of the race
Right now I am not impressed with anyone running, so I will wait til early 2008 to see who is even still in the run before I decide. I do know who I will NOT vote for, I simply do not know who I will vote for

mkemse
11-07-2007, 03:41 PM

No the Republican will never ever let a Liberal be nomiated, the "Religious Right" which is their foundation would never tolerate it, and my guessi s that they still have enough clout in power in the Republican party to have a MAJOR say who runs

Isabelle90
11-10-2007, 11:33 AM
I do know who I will NOT vote for, I simply do not know who I will vote for

You got me.....I'm nosy! Please spill. Who is on your "no vote" list?

mkemse
11-10-2007, 03:01 PM
You got me.....I'm nosy! Please spill. Who is on your "no vote" list?

come on take a guess:wave:

Isabelle90
11-10-2007, 05:07 PM
come on take a guess:wave:

After an excruciating thought process........I'm going with........anyone running on the republican ticket?

I know, it's a wild guess, but it's the best I could come up with! LOL

mkemse
11-10-2007, 05:48 PM
After an excruciating thought process........I'm going with........anyone running on the republican ticket?

I know, it's a wild guess, but it's the best I could come up with! LOL

You are Correct (How Did You Guess), I have no clue yet, to early for me to make a definite decision on anyone else however