PDA

View Full Version : Congress

mkemse
10-17-2007, 10:25 AM
Even Tho Democrats took control of Congress last November, everyone is complaining that they still are NOT doing as they promised, 1 HUGHE point missed is that altho they do control both the Senate and The House, do those who are complaining and upset, also realize, that in the Senate, they only control by 1-2 votes and do NOT have the votes to override Vetos, it is my understanding, that the reason the Democrats have NOT kept to their promises of last November, is not that they are breaking away from what they promised, but rather they simply do not have enough votes to overide vetos the Prisent keeps issuing, anyone have an opinion on this??

Remember, you can Control congress but not have enough votes to over ride vetos??

Based on this, who do you blame, the President or Congress for lack of success in keeping to their promises last November??

_ID_
10-17-2007, 12:18 PM
Bush hasn't used his Veto powers all that often, so it doens't really seem like an issue.

With that in mind, there are other things congress is failing to do, that it should be doing. There are a number of war crimes as well as legal blunders Bush has committed, why haven't they done anything on that? So I blame congress. It's almost like we elected an apathetic leadership for this country.

Alex Bragi
10-17-2007, 07:11 PM
Hi, mkemse--love your dog by the way--well, I know very little about US politics but as a famous American (Mark Twain) once said: "It doesn't matter who you vote for, you're still going to get a politician."

GreyJack
10-17-2007, 07:17 PM
One of the difficulties of getting good legislation instituted is that Bush continues to use "signing statements" which can completely undermine the effective points in the legislation. What the MAJOR difficulty is, however, is that the general population has no idea whatsoever about the processes of government which are or are not legal. They have effectively "given up" on trying to understand how their own government works. If we had an involved and educated electorate, we "might" be able to have government by and for the people, instead of vested interests. end of rant. LOL

mkemse
10-17-2007, 11:10 PM
Hi, mkemse--love your dog by the way--well, I know very little about US politics but as a famous American (Mark Twain) once said: "It doesn't matter who you vote for, you're still going to get a politician."

Thanks, founs my dog while surfing, i love does so i thought why not use him or her, btw, contrary to some that is NOT a photo fo my ex LOL!!!

Ozme52
10-18-2007, 12:34 AM
The democrats in the House and Senate are to blame. To say, it's futile to vote "against" the president's wishes because he'll veto them is a lame excuse.

The president can't enact anything without legislation. So it would be a stalemate and would force him to negotiate/compromise.

Nope, instead they seem willing to roll over so they can whine and say they still have no power... and take no responsibility for what the government is doing... not even their own branch of the government.

mkemse
10-18-2007, 12:56 AM
The democrats in the House and Senate are to blame. To say, it's futile to vote "against" the president's wishes because he'll veto them is a lame excuse.

The president can't enact anything without legislation. So it would be a stalemate and would force him to negotiate/compromise.

Nope, instead they seem willing to roll over so they can whine and say they still have no power... and take no responsibility for what the government is doing... not even their own branch of the government.

No the Democrats are not rolling over and whininig, they keep sending the same legilastion back and he keeps vetoing it, but how can people blame the democrats for not sdoing what they wer elected to do, when they simply do not hav the votes to over ride a veto??

Isabelle90
10-18-2007, 07:01 AM
No the Democrats are not rolling over and whininig, they keep sending the same legilastion back and he keeps vetoing it, but how can people blame the democrats for not sdoing what they wer elected to do, when they simply do not hav the votes to over ride a veto??

It seems like a moot point. Our legislative branch is made up of elected officials. They represent the people. Our country is is divided fairly equally on government issues, and so our congress seems to be the same. Take into consideration the last two presidential elections....

mkemse
10-18-2007, 08:27 AM
It seems like a moot point. Our legislative branch is made up of elected officials. They represent the people. Our country is is divided fairly equally on government issues, and so our congress seems to be the same. Take into consideration the last two presidential elections....

Yes but the the election was decided by the Supreme Court as you pointed out NOT the people, we have so many issues to work out in thsi Country, but my point still remian if there are not enough repulicans willing to over ride a veto the Dems are stuck, they are doing the will of the people but they keep getting vetoed and no support to over ride it

Isabelle90
10-18-2007, 08:50 AM
*Note* Please don't bite my head off. I'm going to play "devil's advocate" here for a moment....okay, I do it most of the time. We get more debate that way:)

Who's to say that the Democrats are the only ones speaking the will of the people? What about the elected Republicans? If the country was full of only Democrats we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Would there be any kind of intervention if the elections were more skewed than they have been in the last two?

Only debatable questions....

mkemse
10-18-2007, 09:37 AM
*Note* Please don't bite my head off. I'm going to play "devil's advocate" here for a moment....okay, I do it most of the time. We get more debate that way:)

Who's to say that the Democrats are the only ones speaking the will of the people? What about the elected Republicans? If the country was full of only Democrats we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Would there be any kind of intervention if the elections were more skewed than they have been in the last two?

Only debatable questions....

I never said the Democrats were the only ones speaking the will of the people, but last Novembmers election was to send a meaage clearly to Washington that changes were wanted and needed
The last 2 election were not elections, they where gifts

And no i have no reason to bite your head off :), thisi s a debate nothing more or less

Captain
10-18-2007, 06:05 PM
I'm tired of the same ole thing from Democrats and Republicans. I'm a registered Independent, but my political views are very conservative. Bush is not a conservative! Nor are most of the republicans in office. Politicians are so fake you don't know who to believe. I think government should be less involved in our lives and people should take responsibility for their own situations. Just remember, a government big enough to give people everything they want, is also big enough to take everything they have.

Our government is not perfect, but it's the best ever created!

mkemse
10-18-2007, 06:55 PM
I'm tired of the same ole thing from Democrats and Republicans. I'm a registered Independent, but my political views are very conservative. Bush is not a conservative! Nor are most of the republicans in office. Politicians are so fake you don't know who to believe. I think government should be less involved in our lives and people should take responsibility for their own situations. Just remember, a government big enough to give people everything they want, is also big enough to take everything they have.

Our government is not perfect, but it's the best ever created!

Yes our government is the best ever created, and Bush is a Conservative as they come,he certainly is NOT a LIberal more Conservative then Reagan was and beholden to more Corporation then they the Corportations have employess, but this is just my opinion not an argument, have a GREAT DAY!!!

wmrs2
02-27-2008, 10:50 PM
Yes but the the election was decided by the Supreme Court as you pointed out NOT the people, we have so many issues to work out in thsi Country, but my point still remain if there are not enough repulicans willing to over ride a veto the Dems are stuck, they are doing the will of the people but they keep getting vetoed and no support to over ride it

MKEMSE, try to understand this. the Supreme Court did not or never will have the power to give an election to anybody. People don't respond to this question you raise continually about the Supreme Court simply because the assertion you make is nonsense. People are sick of this nonsense. The majority of the people in Congress are middle of the road patriots looking to serve their country, both Democrats and Republicans. They, for the most part ignore the big mouth liberals and right wing Rep. Occasionally the public will throw out radical elements like Tom Dashal, who had to learn his lesson the hard way.

The people did not elect big mouth, support the party line Democrats in the year 2006. They elected Blue Dog Democrats, who are closer to the Republicans in philosophy than the liberal Democrats. The President has not had to use his veto often, the reason is that he has the support of enough fair minded Democrats that it has not been necessary to use the veto.:icon176:

Nancy thought the new Democrats would add to her power to do things. No way! The country is still a conservative majority, made up of conservative Dem's and Rep's. Thank God most party members are Americans first. That's the reason the Democratic leadership can not figure out how Bush has out-smarted them for eight years. Notice with the advent of Obama that the traditional leadership of the Dem. Party stands to be elected to nothing. Just to keep peace, Obama may bring a few of them along on his coat tale.

wmrs2
02-27-2008, 10:56 PM
Yes but the the election was decided by the Supreme Court as you pointed out NOT the people, we have so many issues to work out in thsi Country, but my point still remain if there are not enough repulicans willing to over ride a veto the Dems are stuck, they are doing the will of the people but they keep getting vetoed and no support to over ride it

MKEMSE, try to understand this. the Supreme Court did not or never will have the power to give an election to anybody. People don't respond to this question you raise continually about the Supreme Court simply because the assertion you make is nonsense. People are sick of this nonsense. The majority of the people in Congress are middle of the road patriots looking to serve their country, both Democrats and Republicans. They, for the most part ignore the big mouth liberals and right wing Rep. Occasionally the public will throw out radical elements like Tom Dashal, who had to learn his lesson the hard way.

The people did not elect big mouth, support the party line Democrats in the year 2006. They elected Blue Dog Democrats, who are closer to the Republicans in philosophy than the liberal Democrats. The President has not had to use his veto often, the reason is that he has the support of enough fair minded Democrats that it has not been necessary to use the veto.:icon176:

Nancy thought the new Democrats would add to her power to do things. No way! The country is still a conservative majority, made up of conservative Dem's and Rep's. Thank God most party members are Americans first. That's the reason the Democratic leadership can not figure out how Bush has out-smarted them for eight years. Notice with the advent of Obama that the traditional leadership of the Dem. Party stands to be elected to nothing. Just to keep peace, Obama may bring a few of them along on his coat tale.

Sir_Russell
02-28-2008, 06:56 PM
wmrs2

Actually your wrong they did indeed halt the florida investigation into many many issues about the election. By stopping the investigation they did indeed and in fact gave bush the election. I can go into details of the fixes in florida on both of the last 2 elections

mkemse
02-28-2008, 07:06 PM

wmrs2,

Read your history as Sir Russel Pointed out, due to the hanging Chad issues the election of Bush vs Gore was decidied by the United State Supreme Court, first time ever in US history the Supreme Court not the Ameircan Electorate placed a President into office
this is Historical Fact and not some fantnasy i created look at your history books

DOMLORD
02-28-2008, 07:17 PM
the democrats aren't being effective at all. Nancy Pelosi made a huge speech about children being the future and then the first act of this congress was to give themselves a pay raise so why should we cut those bastards any slack at all?

mkemse
02-28-2008, 08:30 PM
the democrats aren't being effective at all. Nancy Pelosi made a huge speech about children being the future and then the first act of this congress was to give themselves a pay raise so why should we cut those bastards any slack at all?

The reason the Democrats are not being as success as they can be is they only have a 1 vote majority in the House which in not enough to override vetoes of the President The Senate has but the House can't over ride not enough votes, hopefully that will vchange as well in November as far a Pay Raisie go, it believe it is in the United States Comtitution and is automatic they do not control pay raisies, they can refuse theirw which some Senators and Reps have done butthat is all the can do is individualy refuse their raisies

wmrs2
02-28-2008, 09:23 PM
The reason the Democrats are not being as success as they can be is they only have a 1 vote majority in the House which in not enough to override vetoes of the President The Senate has but the House can't over ride not enough votes, hopefully that will vchange as well in November as far a Pay Raisie go, it believe it is in the United States Comtitution and is automatic they do not control pay raisies, they can refuse theirw which some Senators and Reps have done butthat is all the can do is individualy refuse their raisie

and says Sir Russell:

Actually your wrong they did indeed halt the florida investigation into many many issues about the election. By stopping the investigation they did indeed and in fact gave bush the election. I can go into details of the fixes in florida on both of the last 2 elections

I'll say one thing, you fellows speak highly of the American education system. You must have read every Civics book in the states where you were educated to find all that factual information about how the Supreme Court works. To know and understand that the Supreme Court can do all that you claim it did must give you a great feeling of satisfaction. I bet your both glad you studied in all those text books exactly how the USA government operates.

Since you are so well read, would you please help me out with one thing. I know that the press, broadcast media, all types of curious agencies, and especially the Democratic Party counted those chads and votes every way imaginable and many times over. In which count did did Al Gore win and in what text book can we find this information?