PDA

View Full Version : What professions are most vulnerable to BDSM?

Alaric
03-29-2004, 01:36 PM
I ask as a teacher here in FL has been put on administrative leave for having a picture of her flashing her breasts at a Superbowl party sent to an administrator. Apparently it was sent by a disgruntled ex-boyfriend, and he has completely jacked with her life!

I am constantly amazed at how vulnerable teachers are to silly crap like this, and can only speculate what would happen to that teacher if the picture of her breasts had included wax, cane marks, needles or the like.

Is there any other profession out there where discovery of your lifestyle would have a similar impact? I'm coming up with maybe Republican party spokesman... Childrens show host... some capacity in the Catholic church...

any ideas?

Alaric

Lil' peach
03-29-2004, 02:57 PM
Actually I felt I had to take off my avatar (which was my own photo)and haven't posted since some people found me on this site. It affected me a lot and really made me reconsider, because of my work.

Slightly off-topic, as I don't work in any of those professions, but my job is very much internet based, I have a website and photos in various places, and it didn't help me to be so out in the open here, because I am very much on the net in a more professional setting. I couldn't afford for my participation here to lose me clients and money.

Apologies for the absence to everyone that has been kind enough to talk to me on the boards and also privately. I still read you all when I can.

Also, I would like to let you all know that I am very happy to have since found someone strictly compatible :D

woodsman'sgame
03-29-2004, 03:28 PM
I think as far as BDSM is concerned many more than you might think. There is still a taboo about this lifestyle. It is unacceptable for it to be made public for most people in most professions.

Minx
03-29-2004, 05:10 PM
I'm in uniform for my profession and we live by a strict dress code. Facial piercings etc are frowned upon so I'm always swapping over my labret, industrial and tongue bars for retainers and even visible tattoos and brands are enough to put you in a position out of the publics eyes.

As someone who marks 'very' easily, esp around the wrist, thigh and neck area, I have to be extremely careful about playing during a time when I know I have work scheduled shortly afterwards. Thankgod I wear long pants! The thing that annoys me most, when I was a collared slave I couldn't wear my collar often as it would mark and slightly bruise my neck. A sad thing to me as to a submissive, the Masters collar means everything.

One particular time I was in an altercation and had to have subsequent medical exams, I was thankful that the few welts I had were put down to the incident itself since the area affected was the same and thankfully, the marks (though I knew what they were) were only just distinguishable within the bruising. I wasn't brave enough to own up to the fact that they were consensual due to BDSM play.

I'm also a few months off graduating my law degree and I'm pretty certain I wouldn't get away with alot in that profession either - unfortunately, my selfish side is unwilling to give up my vanilla life goals so it's something I have to work around and learn to live with.

I do agree with woodsmans game though, there aren't many professions out there that you could get away with a lot - unfortunately, the vanilla public as I've come to know it are too closed minded and unaccepting for it to ever become so either.

Just my two cents

Minx

Kelli
03-29-2004, 05:28 PM
I am going to college to be a teacher. I think every profession has it's views on what you can and cannot do. I cannot have any piercing (except the lobes of my ears), no visably tattoos... My bf doesnt usually leave marks, but per chance he did that would not be a good thing. That's also why I haven't posted my face here. I don't want to recognition from a collegue, or a future employer.

Jones, Nikka
03-30-2004, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by Alaric
I am constantly amazed at how vulnerable teachers are to silly crap like this, and can only speculate what would happen to that teacher if the picture of her breasts had included wax, cane marks, needles or the like.

Is there any other profession out there where discovery of your lifestyle would have a similar impact?...

any ideas?

Alaric
Pretty much any of the counselling professions: Teacher, minister, coach, councellor, doctor, therapist, nurse, lawyer, are at high risk. Some people think that because we work with people our bdsm tendencies are most contagious.

Safer professions to be bdsm-friendly/active would include (I guess) rock star, secret agent, overpaid professional athlete, stripper, anything in reality TV, drug dealer, dictator of a small country, shock-jock radio host, etc.

Curtis
03-30-2004, 02:07 AM
Nurse? Really? Nurses are in such high demand (and are automatically thought of as sexy, whether they are or not), that I would've thought being exposed as an S&M angel would hardly raise an eyebrow. Isn't that in keeping with the image of "the naughty nurse"? Couldn't you imagine most of the nurses on E.R. being, if not active, at least willing participants in BDSM?

I agree with you on the rest of your selections. Another group of jobs you wouldn't lose if you were found to be 'that kind of pervert' would be the service jobs (plumber, electrician, auto mechanic), though you might gain some notoriety.

Lord Douche
03-30-2004, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by Curtis
Nurse? Really? Nurses are in such high demand (and are automatically thought of as sexy, whether they are or not), that I would've thought being exposed as an S&M angel would hardly raise an eyebrow. Isn't that in keeping with the image of "the naughty nurse"? Couldn't you imagine most of the nurses on E.R. being, if not active, at least willing participants in BDSM?

I agree with you on the rest of your selections. Another group of jobs you wouldn't lose if you were found to be 'that kind of pervert' would be the service jobs (plumber, electrician, auto mechanic), though you might gain some notoriety.

Nurses into BDSM... Mmmmm... so many lovely tools to use on them!

As for the plumber, electrician, etc... there's no shortage of stories about that particular fantasy!
LD

BaasGeert
04-01-2004, 01:12 PM
A few years ago there was a judge in belgium who lost his job and civil rights due to his SM life. There were pictures known of him sewing his wife her vagina together...
Altough there were many
people sympathizing with him , he lost everything...

Me,myself, i work in the media and i' m a lot on webcam's and also on television in belgium, but never as a "leading" media figure, more as a technician behind the scenes. I think it's rather safe../-))
My slavegirl owns a video rental shop , she doesn't like the idea that some of th customers could see her at the net in her ful glory, but nevertheless she can be seen on the net, and not even too far away ,lol.

ValKyrie
04-01-2004, 07:45 PM
I can only imagine what would happen in this small town if my sexual proclivities were made public. I work with children and families and as such would probably be risking my career by coming out.

Oh well, I will continue to look on line to make friends and enjoy my guy in the privacy of our home.

:)

Mobius
04-02-2004, 02:55 AM
With Specl needs kids or ex-felons/socialy incorigable but thankfully not at the same time. It goes with out saying that any sordid thing in my life has to stay seperate and well hidden or I would be so fired it is not funny.

Any thing you say or post on this forum or any forum for that matter can be easily tracked down using any of the popular search engines.

Just enter your screen name and ooops there you are

Mobius: and my hentie anima thread is right there in all its glory.

The one saving grace in working in the Vanila world is if they find you in :) the Bondage site it is like "anti matter" Yes you would be anilated but so would they for looking in a bdsm website.

GaryWilcox
04-02-2004, 06:31 AM
My family would not let me around my nephews and nieces, I'm certain, if they knew.

My job would shrug and say "different strokes".

My apartment complex would probably try to sue me for breach of contract so that they could evict me (if they had any indication that serious bondage play was going on in here).

slavelucy
04-02-2004, 09:56 AM
[QUOTE=GaryWilcox]My family would not let me around my nephews and nieces, I'm certain, if they knew.[QUOTE]

Hmmm, maybe i SHOULD admit my interest/involvement in BDSM then - i'd love to not be around my nephews and nieces, horrible little brats that they are! LOL :D

As for my job, i wouldn't be fired, but i'd be more concerned about people not taking me seriously and merely thinking 'kinky slut' every time i opened my mouth (er...to speak that is! ;) )

sl

P.S. Gary - not to worry, if you get kicked out, you can always come and live with me, we have a couple of spare rooms - no Chihuahua's tho, sorry!

lola
04-02-2004, 11:17 PM
I am always shocked when I read about people who hide who they really are from the world because they are afraid of the repercussions. I work in a very open minded industry and frankly, it might get me more work if people knew about my private life. I happen to keep it private because, it is no one else's business but, I don't hide it.

ValKyrie
04-03-2004, 01:44 AM
I am not sure I understand how using discretion to preserve your livelihood is "shocking."

In a work environment where physical violence is is seen as in indicator of instability, mental illness and abuse, not sharing BDSM tendencies seems to be a sound decision. If you really believed a teacher was abusive or crazy, would you want them teaching your children? What if it were you doctor?

On the flip side of the discussion, my sub has come out at work. He works in law enforcement. I find it interesting that in that environment he gets many questions, jokes and serious inquiries, rather than condemnation. In fact, a fair number of his co workers are just envious. Hmmm........an occupational thing, perhaps?

lola
04-03-2004, 08:32 AM
I am not sure I understand how using discretion to preserve your livelihood is "shocking."

In a work environment where physical violence is is seen as in indicator of instability, mental illness and abuse, not sharing BDSM tendencies seems to be a sound decision. If you really believed a teacher was abusive or crazy, would you want them teaching your children? What if it were you doctor?

On the flip side of the discussion, my sub has come out at work. He works in law enforcement. I find it interesting that in that environment he gets many questions, jokes and serious inquiries, rather than condemnation. In fact, a fair number of his co workers are just envious. Hmmm........an occupational thing, perhaps?

I didn't mean that I was shocked that the person was hiding their private life but, rather that they HAD to hide their life. I guess I always hope that people are more accepting of others than they really are.

ValKyrie
04-03-2004, 06:54 PM
I didn't mean that I was shocked that the person was hiding their private life but, rather that they HAD to hide their life. I guess I always hope that people are more accepting of others than they really are.

Thank you for clarifying, Lola.

Yes, in a perfect world, people could accept one another as they are without passing judgement. I do believe that as BDSM becomes more mainstream, we will be more free to be open about our lifestyle. However, I don't want to know how my boss fucks and don't feel a need to reveal how I share intimacy with the love of my life, even if what I do is socially acceptable. As you said, some things are just meant to be private.

:)

lola
04-03-2004, 10:08 PM
I would guess that any fringy, marginalized group would be in the same boat as the kinksters as far as "persecution" goes. I thank my lucky stars that I live in a place that is open minded and free thinking and that my family is too. I have to remind myself of that fact every now and then and this is just one of those times.