PDA

View Full Version : Search engines

j
03-30-2004, 03:14 AM
It used to be fairly easy to type 'bdsmlibrary' in the search window of Yahoo and Google, and be directed to the site with a minimum of fuss.

Now a number of commercial sites have hijacked the keyword and this innocent query lands you in a flow of spam, popup windows of questionable taste and (of course) viruses, with the library nowhere in sight.

Can nothing be done about that state of affairs?

This also means that other bona fide free BDSM tales sites (if any exist) are utterly hidden.

Mobius
03-30-2004, 05:50 AM
Why don,t you just creat a favorite and drop it in the links folder
then you can pop in any time you like.

As for inviting others via the search engin. Searches are in order of how much the Webmaster is willing to pay to advertise the site. The Spammers will allways pay more that is why cross linking (banner on other websites are important)

:)

fetish101
03-30-2004, 11:39 AM
well..I'm assuming you're doing this so as not to have record of it in your favorites or in the drop down address bar? If so, just type in www.bdsmlibrary.com into google, click "I'm feeling lucky" and bingo, you're there.

j
04-01-2004, 05:05 AM
well..I'm assuming you're doing this so as not to have record of it in your favorites or in the drop down address bar? If so, just type in www.bdsmlibrary.com into google, click "I'm feeling lucky" and bingo, you're there.

Exactly! I'm often on the move and hate to leave a friend's or cybercafe's machine with a 'funny' drop down address bar.

Many thanks for the suggestion. What I also do is keep a private bookmarks file on a floppy.

What I find annoying is the incredible muck one gets directed to.

Finding_Fantasy
04-01-2004, 12:46 PM
You know what I used to do?

When I worked at the hotel I was allowed to use the computer after I finsihed all of my work. Not wanting to leave an obvious tale of where I have been, I emailed myself all the "naughty" links that I wanted to visit and left it in my email. That way I could open the pages stright from my email and not have all the tell tale links in the drop down menu :)

boccaccio2000g
04-01-2004, 06:33 PM
You know what I used to do?

When I worked at the hotel I was allowed to use the computer after I finsihed all of my work. Not wanting to leave an obvious tale of where I have been, I emailed myself all the "naughty" links that I wanted to visit and left it in my email. That way I could open the pages stright from my email and not have all the tell tale links in the drop down menu :)

And people have the nerve to say that the North American labor force is lacking in creativity and initiative!

Boccaccio

Finding_Fantasy
04-02-2004, 01:54 AM
And people have the nerve to say that the North American labor force is lacking in creativity and initiative!

Boccaccio

Well, fortunately, my employers never had any complaints of my work. I always got my work done quickly and effciently and usually did much much more than what was asked of me.

The owner of the hotel gave me permission to use the computer because he knew that at 3am in the morning in the dead of winter, there wasn't much one could do except answer a phone call or two.

Still, despite the fact that I was permitted to use the computer, I didn't exactly want the whole world to know what sort of sites I was visiting... though the owners brother came to visit once and saw the bracelet I wore with the BDSM symbol on it and gave me a knowing look... then said that if I ever was in his home town, he'd be happy to put me up in his hotel!

Curtis
04-02-2004, 06:42 AM
There's a BDSM symbol? I've been reading about this stuff for thirty years, and I've never heard of it. Is it a Canadian thing? What does it look like?

Minx
04-02-2004, 08:17 AM
Curtis

This may help answer your question..

http://members.aol.com/quagmyr/meaning.htm

Minx

Curtis
04-02-2004, 10:48 AM
Very good, thank you. So, it was a conscious attempt, like AIDS and breast cancer ribbons, to create a symbol, not something that happened spontaneously. (Before anyone jumps on me, lack of spontaneity is NOT a bad thing.)

Finding_Fantasy
04-02-2004, 11:45 AM
Pretty much, yes. It's something that the BDSM community would recognise and something that others would either mistake for a Ying Yang symbol or just a neat decoration.

I think ~d~ 's avatar is actually a variation of the BDSM symbol as well....using flowers for the circle. I could be mistaken though

Curtis
04-03-2004, 03:41 PM
Now that you mention it, it seems that she said something like that at the time she changed to her current avatar.

I've seen variants on triskeles around for decades. I always associate them with Klingons, who aren't safe, sane or consentual, but who make pretty good fantasy sadists. One of the old Star Trek novels, whose title I can't remember, was about a human female biologist or doctor who was kidnapped by a Klingon captain and tortured for weeks until (of course) she fell in love with him. Ah, good times... ;)

j
04-04-2004, 09:41 AM
I think the use of the triskelion as a BDSM symbol can be traced back to the Story of O, where O has to wear one such ring as an advertisement of her status.

'They were strange iron rings, banded with gold inside, and the signet was wide and as massive as that of an actual signet ring, but it was convex, and for design bore a three-spoked wheel inlaid in gold, with each spoke spiraling back upon itself like the solar wheel of the Celts.'

Pauline Reage never bothered to explain why she chose this emblem, which is still widely used in Breton (Western France) jewelry.