PDA

View Full Version : Drawing or comp imaging

Kelli
03-30-2004, 06:35 PM
Does anyone know how to make some 3D pix of people and things? I want to try to, but I'm not sure what comp program I'll need and everything. All and any help would be much appreciated! I want to get all the curves and lines perfect. So close you can't hardly tell it's a comp image.

Kelli
03-30-2004, 08:14 PM
Wow that looks awesome. Now if only I had $219 to spend on it :) Anyone know any free trials or cheaper stuff I can use to practice with? Once I get good, then I will think about spending the money, but for now, something more inexpensive will have to do.

BDSM_Tourguide
03-30-2004, 09:19 PM
Anything you can do with Poser, you can also do with Paint Shop Pro and Animation Shop, but it'll tyake about five times as long as Poser has a more workable interface for 3D imaging and backgrounds.

No matter which software you plan to use, you will need to commit probably a year of your time leanring it and toying about with it before you produce a piece that looks reasonably like anything you see on the net.

My best advice would be to save the $219 for Poser (or the $109 for Paint Shop Pro) and spend $35 to join a 3D art website and let others do the work for you. :)

Even better, just look around the free TGP sites and you'll probably get more than you wanted for free.

BDSM_Tourguide
03-30-2004, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by andibabe
TG

Technically, you can't do 3D work in PaintShopPro or any software like that. You can't do 3D people, really. You might be able to do scenery, etc.

Have a closer look at the picture tube converter on PSP 7 or 8. It allows for 3D definition drawing.

MrJerseyGuy
04-01-2004, 04:11 PM
TG...

Okay I was wrong; obviously, I don't use PSP.

My fav would be Adobe Photoshop. And Poser. And Bryce, which is excellent for 3D scenery/objects.

This site (http://www.thecollarpurple.com) posts examples of artwork done in Poser, usually with a nice little bdsm twist.

I'm with Andibabe...and not just because she looks really good in a cheerleading outfit! I've been working with Adobe for years and am very partial to it!

Kelli
04-01-2004, 04:21 PM
Is Adobe hard to use? I think I can get my hands on a copy, but I am not familiar with it. Is it really hard to work with?

rlsk
04-02-2004, 05:03 AM
I do my artwork almost exclusively in Photoshop; just switched from 7.0 to CS, and I think it's very user-friendly. (Earlier versions are pretty good, too -- I'm just spoiled on these.) With a little practice, you get the basics down quickly. The other plus is there's a wealth of tutorials online for everything you'd like to do with it.

I've never worked with 3D modeling software, but from what I've heard, it's not worth trying without a fairly fast computer to run it on. If you're still interested, a good friend of mine does 3D modeling for a living; I could put you in contact with him, and he could give you some more specific recommendations.

le forgeron
04-09-2004, 05:14 AM
Wow that looks awesome. Now if only I had $219 to spend on it :) Anyone know any free trials or cheaper stuff I can use to practice with? Once I get good, then I will think about spending the money, but for now, something more inexpensive will have to do.

You might try to find Poser 3.0, they turn it free some times ago.
It's not as good as the 4.0 or later, but at least there is some naked people in the standard library. Worth exporting as a mesh once you set up the position, to include in a real raytracer.
For raytracing, there is a lot of selling-stuff, alas most human model must be payed additionnally...
For stuff:
If you like mouse-modelling, there is plenty of it... most are not cheap
I do not like mouse-modelling...

If you can cope with script modelling, have a look at www.povray.org
It's free, but can take time to master (and it's not a WYSIWYG interactive program, rather something like Latex), and it lack any good people-model (but you can have poser export for that, with a bit of tuggling).

TheBB
04-12-2004, 03:42 PM
I got some experience with every single program mentioned in this thread, so I feel inclined to answer.

It is extremely hard to draw realistic scenes in 2D software such as PSP or PS. If you don't have previous experience already I'd suggest giving up.

It is also hard to produce good results with conventional free 3D software. Basically because you'd be stuck trying to model realistic humans which is really challenging. Poser is your prime best shot at ever getting a really good human character out, if you have little experience.

To finish off the rest of the scene you need a good allround 3D program. Best would be Maya or 3ds max. 3ds max is horribly expensive, I don't know about Maya. If you want to stick to freeware, POV-Ray may be your best shot, if you can keep your tounge straight. An awful lot of number crunching is required.

j
04-13-2004, 12:50 AM
I think 3D Poser-like software is OK for people who want to visualize their own fantasies. But I usually find the results of such 'art' (however skilful) to be incredibly stiff-limbed, awkward, and lacking in the relevant kind of detail!

It is my custom to ornate all the stories I keep with art (at least one cover picture, sometimes much more). I never use photos or fakes for many reasons, and hardly ever use computer art. The old-fashioned artists - from Dolcett to Pichard - are much better: elegance, clarity, naughtiness, and the freedom to show things that would blow the tops off censors if shown in photos!

I cited elegance first - and that was not due to chance. It should be a prerequisite!

new master
05-02-2004, 06:12 AM
My slave uses a program called 3d max 5 she down loaded a cracked copy and takes a free course online at 3dbuzz.com ( or something like that) shes pretty good at it and its a good program (pixar uses it) (retails for about $3000)