PDA

View Full Version : a hero is gone

Logic1
12-01-2007, 04:17 AM
Evel Knievel has passed away at the age of 69.

Wow that man had an interesting life.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/7122336.stm

mkemse
12-01-2007, 07:45 AM
He left a quote behind

"I would not have traded what I did in Life for anything"

Midnite
12-15-2007, 10:03 AM
The man had more balls than I did, the most dangerous risk I ever took was, serving in the Navy, and skydiving

mkemse
12-15-2007, 02:02 PM
The man had more balls than I did, the most dangerous risk I ever took was, serving in the Navy, and skydiving

He had more Balls the a Pool or Billiards Table does

Playfulsub
12-15-2007, 02:22 PM
Evel Knievel has passed away at the age of 69.

Wow that man had an interesting life.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/7122336.stm

Well, he sure was interesting, and led quite the adventurous life. But a hero? Really?

Logic1
12-19-2007, 04:45 AM
A hero for plenty of people yes I really do think so. Not a hero in the way "Chuck Yeagher" was but still a hero. Somebody people look up to.

Playfulsub
12-19-2007, 08:42 AM
A hero for plenty of people yes I really do think so. Not a hero in the way "Chuck Yeagher" was but still a hero. Somebody people look up to.

I gotcha. :-)

Thorne
12-20-2007, 08:14 PM

I have to disagree. Chuck Yeagher was a true hero. Neil Armstrong and the other astronauts and cosmonauts were, and are, heroes. Knievel must be put into the same category in which we find others whom people look up to for no really good reason except that they are celebrities. Getting your name in the papers and on the tube doesn't automatically make you heroic. Just popular.

blythe spirit
12-20-2007, 09:45 PM
As much as this hurts, I'll have to agree with Thorne. In accordance with the literal definition of "hero" Mr. Knievel was not a hero. But he was a great celebrity that performed daring feats.

Thorne
12-21-2007, 04:11 AM
As much as this hurts, I'll have to agree with Thorne.

Yes, most seem to find that it hurts to agree with me. I can't understand why!

mkemse
12-21-2007, 08:55 AM
Heros come in different classes, who is Hero to 1 person may not be to another, it depends on who a person "Looks Up To"
Evil was a hero to many, as he always challenged himself and did what he wanted to do, and did not care what the public thought or said, on the other hand Cheuck Yeager is a hero to many for what he did

H Dean
12-21-2007, 12:16 PM
I never thought of a thrill seeker and daredevil as a hero or someone to look up to. As I recall he was a convicted wife batterer and had a rather violent temper. Not a hero - or someone to look up to.

As far as I am concerned he was no more than a thrill seeker who managed to get tons of fans.

My grandfather fought in WWII and got two purple hearts and several other medals. Kneivel couldn't carry my grandpa's jock strap.

blythe spirit
12-21-2007, 04:07 PM
Yes, most seem to find that it hurts to agree with me. I can't understand why!

Ummmm - nah, I ain't tellin' *chuckles

I never thought of a thrill seeker and daredevil as a hero or someone to look up to. As I recall he was a convicted wife batterer and had a rather violent temper. Not a hero - or someone to look up to.

As far as I am concerned he was no more than a thrill seeker who managed to get tons of fans.

My grandfather fought in WWII and got two purple hearts and several other medals. Kneivel couldn't carry my grandpa's jock strap.
Amen, Mr. Dean. Let's always remember the real heros.

Sir_Russell
12-22-2007, 06:24 PM
Evel lived most of the last 10 years in my area, and I think the man was nuts but lets give credit where it is due. For what ever reason he stared death in face most of his life and continued on doing what he did. I think that I would have quit on the first attempt looking down that ramp seeing the cars or buses lined up and me on a small bike.

He did things for the kids in our area helped get funds for childrens hospital. So to finish up Yeager is hero but also the same kind of nut that evel was. He knew he was facing death but wanted to go fast higher then anyone else. Where is the difference really.

Course my heros are Roy Orbison, Bob Dylan, people that didn't really face death but brought music and joy to the world.

Thorne
12-22-2007, 09:00 PM
Yeager is hero but also the same kind of nut that evel was. He knew he was facing death but wanted to go fast higher then anyone else. Where is the difference really.

In my mind, Yeager, and any hero really, did what he did to benefit someone or something other than himself. In Yeager's case, that was his country. Yes, he knew he was risking death, but his death would have served a purpose. Knievel, on the other hand, was a show-off, benefiting only his own pocketbook (and those of his employees, of course) and satisfying his own ego. Courageous? Certainly! Talented? Maybe. Insane? Undoubtedly! But a hero? I don't think so.

Course my heros are Roy Orbison, Bob Dylan, people that didn't really face death but brought music and joy to the world.

Again, I must disagree. While they might have talent and a flair for showmanship, and might even be worthy of a certain amount of respect, their primary motivation was for their own gain. One might enjoy them and even look up to them (in fact, I wrote a High School term paper about Dylan back in the '60s) but I don't see how they could be considered heroes.

blythe spirit
12-22-2007, 09:40 PM
Thanks for your input Russell; however, I'm sticking with the text book definition of hero, which most certainly discounts those you've mentioned.

Those people may be your idol, but their purpose for doing what they did was to gain fame and nothing they did was a selfless act. I might also add that many "stars" (although I'm sure they have a sensitive spot) do things for charities, etc. as a tax deduction and for even more publicity.

You (that's collective) may call them "heros" but as I sad previously, they are not heros in the true sense of the word.