PDA

View Full Version : Forum upgrade to new version.

Tiger
03-31-2004, 07:33 PM
As you may have noticed already, this forum is upgraded to the newest version. This is a major version upgrade. Not only is the graphic interface changed dramatically, but the whole data structure is greatly altered. There are also many new features added. Feel free to look around and ask your questions. I am sure our support team can help you. If you notice anything abnormal or see any error messages, please be sure to let us know. Thank you very much for your attention.

Jinn

kittenfemme
04-01-2004, 07:51 AM
Wow... upgrade, indeed! Dig the little light icon next to our names that indicates if we're online or not. I noticed that the default for that detection setting is set to invisible though. I changed that in the options menu for my profile.

We can enter php blocks or javascript!?!? *blink* I'm not sure I'd ever want to do that, but it's an interesting idea.

Curtis
04-01-2004, 08:55 AM
My detection setting defaulted to visible, and my "title" carried over from the previous version, although some others' did not. This's all quite fascinating.

Jane SC
04-01-2004, 10:54 AM
undefinedWOW! I thought this was an April Fool. Now I am not sure, but it certainly seems a longer process trying to post here.
But, being non-judgemental, I'll keep my thoughts to myself ubntil I have tested it out more.
Good to be back
Love Jane :) undefined

lola
04-02-2004, 11:02 PM
Thanks for the info Jinn. I wanted to register as lola to begin with, I tried to register as lola to begin with but, lola was taken by someone else who never posted. I just re-registered. You can delete justlola if you like, that was me. I won't be using the just anymore, just the lola. :)

BDSM_Tourguide
04-03-2004, 03:08 AM
What you could have done, rather than re-register, is to ask one of the helpful moderation staff to change your nick for you. Gary and I can do that, if you are dissatisfied with the one you have or if the one you wanted becomes available.

Just a little FYI.

lola
04-03-2004, 08:34 AM
Sorry, it never dawned on me that you would do that.

Curtis
04-03-2004, 03:44 PM
That could go on a FAQ!

On a related topic, I see that Bruce has been removed from the Member List entirely. Is that also something one would ask a moderator to do?

GaryWilcox
04-03-2004, 05:48 PM
I think only Jinn can do that.

BDSM_Tourguide
04-03-2004, 05:55 PM
That could go on a FAQ!

On a related topic, I see that Bruce has been removed from the Member List entirely. Is that also something one would ask a moderator to do?

Jinn, Gary or I can remove members from the list, or add them, among other functions.

Spitman
04-04-2004, 02:51 AM
On posting a reply to a thread, previously if you took a long time over it and it logged you out, it would tell you to log in, you could log in and then go back to the form which still had your entry in it. Now I think it takes you back to a blank form, which is annoying, to say the least!

BDSM_Tourguide
04-04-2004, 03:52 AM
On posting a reply to a thread, previously if you took a long time over it and it logged you out, it would tell you to log in, you could log in and then go back to the form which still had your entry in it. Now I think it takes you back to a blank form, which is annoying, to say the least!

This is an issue that has been discussed in these forums before. If you'd like, you can find all the information you need to eliminate user timeout by reading this thread. (http://www.bdsmlibrary.com/forums/showthread.php?t=840)

Spitman
04-04-2004, 04:57 AM
Ah yes, I missed that. Thanks TG.

However I was unable to find a 'remember my login name and password' option in my User CP. I tried all of the pages. Duh!

BDSM_Tourguide
04-04-2004, 11:09 AM
Ah yes, I missed that. Thanks TG.

However I was unable to find a 'remember my login name and password' option in my User CP. I tried all of the pages. Duh!

Well, you also have to take into consideration that thread was written before the upgrade was made. Some things might be a little different now.

blackshadowmast
04-04-2004, 07:14 PM
First off Love the new design of the site I think you did a great job.

The only problem I'm having is that it the pages don’t fit on my screen. I have to scroll across to see the entire page, where as before the upgrade all worked well. Can anyone tell me what if anything I can do to fix this problem? :confused:

Thanks
BSM

Curtis
04-04-2004, 07:55 PM
Change your resolution? I'm not having your problem. 800 by 600 resolution fits on my screen, but you could try 1024 by 768. Good luck.

kittenfemme
04-05-2004, 06:24 AM
I think that my only complaints so far are with the private messaging system. I'd love an option along the lines of, "Don't request read-receipts for every single message sent" on a user by user level. At the very least I'd like to see the read receipt pop-up's button messages changed. I'd also like to convince vBullitin that I don't want to save copies of sent messages by default.

I realize there's little anyone other than the bulletin board's software designers can do about those things though. We can (and I plan to) leave comments about desired design issues in the vBulletin Forum (http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/). Many have already complained that The pop-up for Request Read Reciept has got to go (http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88812). I don't suppose you'd consider turning PM tracking off altogether Djinn or Tourguide?

While I fully realize that such things may simply be subject to stylistic code preferences, is there a particular reason for sticking with vBulletin (http://www.vbulletin.com) other than the fact that a license was already purchased? Some of the opensource alternatives are fabulous. I love phpBB (http://www.phpbb.com) for example. Yet Another Bulletin Board (http://www.yabbforum.com/) it decent as well, in my opinion. I've even used the Invision Board (http://www.invisionboard.com/) extensively at DykeWrite (http://www.dykewrite.com), though I don't particularly care for it.

I can say that each alternative I mentioned is pie to install, especially phpBB. I've set it up on several sites with admins ready to go in under fifteen minutes (broadband/ T3 ftp time included).

In the end, it doesn't really matter. I'm merely curious. The previous version of vBulletin used here (v2.?) seemed quite stable, as does v3.0 so far. I'm not sure that one BB has more features than another but those features are arranged differently and presented in different ways.

Lord Douche
04-05-2004, 06:44 AM
I'm using Firefox, and I can resize this window quite small. The only pages that need scrolling are the Post Window and ones with large images. IE seems to be pretty similar (I could get Firefox a little smaller before it needed to scroll)
By default I use 1152*864, so I have no problems :)
BSM, if you're having difficulties, try turning down the font size in your View Menu -> Text Size. I use Medium myself.
LD

BDSM_Tourguide
04-05-2004, 12:12 PM
I took a look at some of the admin options for you specifically and for the PM system. Unfortunately, I didn't see any way to edit the options you wanted edited in either case.

Also, there's no editable option that I can see to turn PM tracking off either. Not that I have to worry abou tit, because I'm a boy and don't have those options. LOL

I like VBB and have only small issues with it. I'm also familiar with the interface now. I'd really rather we didn't change it unless it was absolutely necessary, but that decision is up to Jinn, not me.

Tiger
04-07-2004, 05:10 PM
The PM options you requested are not easily available. I know it would be nice if these options were added in the "user CP Options".

I stick with vBulletin is not only because I paid for it, but also the support has always been very good. I think that's the biggest difference between commercial and open source software. And I would like to keep upgrading this forum because someday the options you requested may appear, who knows. People are asking all kinds of features which is impossible for me to do them myself. So I partially rely on vBulletin upgrade to fullfil some of the requests. I wanted to upgrade to vB3 earlier. But it had been in pre-release state for quite a while. So when it eventually reached final release, it's already quite different from version 2.

I know people miss the old look and layout. But fear not. New look also means new functionality and improvement. So just exploring.

Jane SC
04-07-2004, 11:24 PM
I know people miss the old look and layout. But fear not. New look also means new functionality and improvement. So just exploring.

Dear Jinn (and TourGuide and Gary)
If it is of any consolation or interest, I love this new format now that I seem to have found my way round it and can make it mainly do what I want it to.

I personally think it's a great improvement on the old version, both visually more attractive and easier to use, once I had shed my preconceptions about it and about change in general.

Thanks Boys, you have one very satisfied customer this (correct!) side of the Atlantic.
Love,
Jane.

fetish101
04-07-2004, 11:52 PM
I agree..it's to the point for me where going back would seem weird. I like it, especially the upgraded text editing for posts. Works a lot more like Word (the basic functions). Change is always good. Besides, the new look looks more "rounded" and newer, whereas the older version looked more "squarish" and older. Kinda like changing car designs.