PDA

View Full Version : Private Messages

Minx
04-02-2004, 07:25 AM
Is it at all possible to please please please lengthen the character amount of private messages? 2000 just doesnt seek to be enough and I'm getting a little tired of cutting up my Masters assignments into two, sometimes three messages because I'm over the char count.

I'm sure theres a reason for this, but, just my two cents and a suggestion all the same.

Minx

slavelucy
04-02-2004, 09:47 AM
i do know what you mean, but i think the purpose of the PM system was to send small messages, be it to convey information or make intial contact with people.

Could you not email the assignments to him?

sl

BDSM_Tourguide
04-02-2004, 12:50 PM
Is it at all possible to please please please lengthen the character amount of private messages? 2000 just doesnt seek to be enough and I'm getting a little tired of cutting up my Masters assignments into two, sometimes three messages because I'm over the char count.

I'm sure theres a reason for this, but, just my two cents and a suggestion all the same.

Minx

Do you not have his email address? I'm a little confused and concerned for someone that has a master, but the only way she can contact him is through a PM system. :confused:

Minx
04-02-2004, 05:03 PM
Do you not have his email address? I'm a little confused and concerned for someone that has a master, but the only way she can contact him is through a PM system. :confused:

With all due respect, I came here and posted to suggest about lengthening the PM message system - not to be judged on what I or my 'online' Master do.

I will take it however that obviously it won't be happening and I will definitely keep quiet about future suggestions or opinions if this is going to be the flavour of the reply.

Respectfully

Minx

redEva
04-02-2004, 05:22 PM
Minx

Don’t take it that hard. Neither Lucy nor TG meant to offend you, your Master or the relationship you have.

I know you have noticed by now that we are caring, and maybe sometimes even overprotective bunch.

The PM system in place here is not meant for long email exchanges. Most of our members do have emails that will accept long messages and even attachments. Without intend to offend you or your Master, there is bunch of free e-mail providers like Hotmail, Yahoo, AOL (just to mention some of them). I will be happy to help you set up account if you are having trouble with that.

Far from it being my place to tell you how to interact with your Master, and I do not intend to do so, this is just a suggestion. Please do not let misunderstanding like this stop you from giving the suggestion for improvement of our site.

BDSM_Tourguide
04-02-2004, 05:22 PM
Forgive me for expressing some concern. It'll never happen again, I assure you.

As it stands, the PM system is fixed at 2000 characters. If Jinn wants eto expand it, he can, but lucy is correct in saying that it's essentially used for short messages. Longer, more detailed messages can be conducted through email.

Minx
04-02-2004, 05:44 PM
Don’t take it that hard. Neither Lucy nor TG meant to offend you, your Master or the relationship you have.

I know you have noticed by now that we are caring, and maybe sometimes even overprotective bunch.

RedEva, thank you thank you, it's nice that messages like this can be worded in such a way to convey concern, help and in a non judgemental way at that. To be totally honest, I took no offense in anything that SL said, just TG and his 'apparent' concern which came across as more judgemental than concerned - at least in my eyes.

Just as aside, re: my Master - well, we agreed going into this that it would be online only and restricted to here only. I'm fine with that, it just gets a tad annoying cutting posts in twos and threes sometmes, thats why I thought I'd throw the 'suggestion' out there. What we do is very similar to the "New Subbie Task" thread happening at the moment, just very private. The joys of being anonymous!

As for hotmail and such, I certainly know how to open new accounts but as I said, the agreement was we keep within the bounds of BDSMLibrary and totally anonymous. Would I operate like this if we were to ever become anything more than text? hell no - that'd be stupid. But the expecatation and agreement is that we are text only, no pictures, no names, just the fantasy of it all and... thats all I want right now as my locality issue alone would be highly unfair to any prospective Dom or Mistress in the flesh.

I hope I've kinda made it a lil more understandable.

Minx

lola
04-02-2004, 11:38 PM
I agree that 2000 words isn't a lot of words. I remember a time in highschool when it seemed like a whole lot more.

albear
04-02-2004, 11:56 PM
you're right lola, in high school 2000 words seemed like a hell of a lot more than it does now! :p especially as the subject matter is a lot more interesting than school assignments.

Minx, i'm not speaking for TG when i say this, nor do i think i should, but i think he was just concerned, and since he didn't know the specifics of your relationship with your Master, it may have come across wrongly.
p.s i love your avatar :)

Minx
04-03-2004, 12:56 AM
thanks happy :) love yours too, is it by chance from the Dita series?

Minx

Curtis
04-03-2004, 03:30 PM
For lola and albear: It's not a 2000 word limit, it's a 2000 character limit. Since spaces and line-breaks count as characters, that translates to a 300-350 word limit. Also, the program cuts you off at some arbitrary level below 2000 characters. I've had 1992 character messages go through and 1982 character messages be rejected for exceeding length limits.

albear
04-03-2004, 05:00 PM
but i've only sent two pms since i got here, consisting of about three words each, so i doubt i'll run into any problems ;)

Minx, my pics by Ronny Vardy (she draws lots of fairies)

:rolleyes: i like these smilies, they're great! :D

lola
04-03-2004, 10:37 PM
For lola and albear: It's not a 2000 word limit, it's a 2000 character limit. Since spaces and line-breaks count as characters, that translates to a 300-350 word limit. Also, the program cuts you off at some arbitrary level below 2000 characters. I've had 1992 character messages go through and 1982 character messages be rejected for exceeding length limits.

That's even worse. I guess I'll have to work on my succinct. Not always my strong suit.

drayman
04-04-2004, 02:41 AM
I must admit that I have found the 2000 character limit to be frustrating at times but, as one contributor to this thread knows, decided to split the pm into two separate sections.
As for the compliments about the avatars of Albare and Minx, I too would like to add my congratulations. (Not sure if I have spelt Albare correctly, if not I try better next time) :D :D

Drayman

cyndylu
04-04-2004, 10:05 AM
1. this is a free site
2. 2k characters are what's offered - deal with it
3. TG's concerns were sincere and he's owed an apology
4. utilize your energy for something positive

Tiger
04-07-2004, 04:48 PM
I can understand your need. You want to write more in PM. This could be a good sign: people love this place! So I increased the limit to 10,000 characters. That is about 1500-1750 words according to Curtis' calculation. My only concern is the server load. If this change significantly increases the server burden and slows down the site, I will have to turn down the limit again. I would appreciate it if you can understand it then. Thanks and happy writing!

Minx
04-07-2004, 06:01 PM
I can understand your need. You want to write more in PM. This could be a good sign: people love this place! So I increased the limit to 10,000 characters. That is about 1500-1750 words according to Curtis' calculation. My only concern is the server load. If this change significantly increases the server burden and slows down the site, I will have to turn down the limit again. I would appreciate it if you can understand it then. Thanks and happy writing!

Jinn!

You kick ass! thanks so much.

When you initially asked me for a suggestion and I gave it, I was thinking that alone would be great, but you saw that and raised me 7000!

You rock!

Minx

matte
04-08-2004, 08:46 AM
I haven't had a problem with this limit yet... but I'm still new and finding my way around especially since all the changes, the place looks great! much more colourful. I'm used to this character limit on many other forums I use, so, it's not a surprise to me, it's good discipline for me! I need it! :D

slavelucy
04-08-2004, 09:17 AM
I haven't had a problem with this limit yet... but I'm still new and finding my way around especially since all the changes, the place looks great! much more colourful. I'm used to this character limit on many other forums I use, so, it's not a surprise to me, it's good discipline for me! I need it! :D

LOL! Good point, matte! The ability to be succinct is grossly under-valued.

sl

matte
04-08-2004, 10:14 AM
So true sl so true... ;)

Lord Douche
04-09-2004, 01:41 AM
LOL! Good point, matte! The ability to be succinct is grossly under-valued.
Yes! *narrows eyes at people posting in the War on Terror thread* :cool:

fetish101
04-09-2004, 02:04 AM
Yes! *narrows eyes at people posting in the War on Terror thread* :cool:

*smiles and repeats what he said on I believe the deleting snuff thread...don't like it? don't open it*. Or perhaps because you're a mod you are not in a postition to not open threads..in that case you should stop complaining.

slavelucy
04-09-2004, 02:52 AM
*smiles and repeats what he said on I believe the deleting snuff thread...don't like it? don't open it*. Or perhaps because you're a mod you are not in a postition to not open threads..in that case you should stop complaining.

Jeez, steady on fetish, i don't think LD was 'complaining' as such, merely gently teasing, no need to get bent out of shape about it.

Incidentally, the war thread is people arguing many different points, the deleting snuff thing, everyone's arguing the same point, give or take the odd difference in semantics. Still, they have every right to keep making the point as many times as they like, of course. :)

sl

Spitman
04-09-2004, 03:18 AM
I think it was a good idea to increase the limit. You will have to wait and see how much the increased limit gets used, but if it's only a few people doing it some of the time, it will still be a lot better for them.

Lord Douche
04-09-2004, 05:04 AM
I was making a light reference to the fact that as a mod, it's my job to go and READ all posts, to make sure that you're not all trying to kill each other in-amidst the full-page articles! So far, so good :D
LD

fetish101
04-09-2004, 01:00 PM
Jeez, steady on fetish, i don't think LD was 'complaining' as such, merely gently teasing, no need to get bent out of shape about it.

Incidentally, the war thread is people arguing many different points, the deleting snuff thing, everyone's arguing the same point, give or take the odd difference in semantics. Still, they have every right to keep making the point as many times as they like, of course. :)

sl

Oh I'm steady, just tired of people saying something like "why are people still posting to this thread. I'm done with it!". I'm not really bent out of shape..in fact I'm in good shape..see above comment.

Incidentally, you're right. But whether it's many points, concentrated to a couple core points, or simply arguing symmantics like the snuff thread, it doesn't matter.

I was making a light reference to the fact that as a mod, it's my job to go and READ all posts, to make sure that you're not all trying to kill each other in-amidst the full-page articles! So far, so good
LD

Yeah, I figured that. I suppose it was a little defensive to make that comment but there has been more than a few like it lately and I've been voicing my comments on them, so I figured why stop now. Keep up the good work, and don't get eye strain from reading it all.