PDA

View Full Version : The Number of the Beast!

Thorne
01-08-2008, 01:58 PM
Came across this item online this afternoon.
"Louisiana Town Ditches 666 Area Code Over Religious Concerns"
"What happens when you combine a strongly religious community in the south and the unfortunate telephone area code of 666? Hilarity ensues, of course! Ok, maybe not too much hilarity, but some."

I had to chuckle about it, of course. I would ALMOST be willing to pay to have that area code. I certainly wouldn't want to get rid of it if it were assigned.

Anyway, according to Heinlein the number "666" is a mistranslation. The actual number is 6^6^6 (6 to the sixth power to the sixth power, or 6 raised to the 46656th power - a truly phenomenal number) and represents the number of possible universes. (The Number of the Beast by Robert Heinlein.)

Flaming_Redhead
01-08-2008, 02:48 PM
He also forced everyone, small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on his right hand or on his forehead, so that no one could buy or sell unles he had the mark, which is the name of the beast or the number of his name.

This calls for wisdom. If anyone has insight, let him calculate the number of the beast, for it is man's number. His number is 666.

I can definitely see why some people would be adverse to having that particular area code. Even though, clearly, you wouldn't wear your area code on your right hand or your forehead, it's still kind of creepy. Imagine moving to Louisiana and looking at the map in the telephone directory only to discover that the devil has taken over the part of the state you now live in! *lol*

Sir_G
01-08-2008, 05:26 PM
Came across this item online this afternoon.
"Louisiana Town Ditches 666 Area Code Over Religious Concerns"
"What happens when you combine a strongly religious community in the south and the unfortunate telephone area code of 666? Hilarity ensues, of course! Ok, maybe not too much hilarity, but some."

I had to chuckle about it, of course. I would ALMOST be willing to pay to have that area code. I certainly wouldn't want to get rid of it if it were assigned.

Anyway, according to Heinlein the number "666" is a mistranslation. The actual number is 6^6^6 (6 to the sixth power to the sixth power, or 6 raised to the 46656th power - a truly phenomenal number) and represents the number of possible universes. (The Number of the Beast by Robert Heinlein.)

I've got to say this post made me smile and like you Thorne, I had to chuckle.

Numerogically speaking 6 relates to harmony and some numeroligists give it that title. Three sixesto me = triple harmony so I wouldn't have a problem with it, also 3 x 6 = 18, 1 + 8 = 9 which is completion. Again a number I wouldn't mind having associated with my town or county or even myself.

After all being a complete person is what I am hoping to achieve this life time - obviously bible numerology or gematria is different and means different things. And I'm not interested in debating the whole antichrist and end time fundamentalist myth used to enslave unsuspecting and vunerable seekers out there.

I will add in case that last comment offended anyone out there. You are entitled to your beliefs and I fully support your right to believe what you want. If you are concerned for me please say a prayer for me I can use all the positive energy I can get wherever it comes from. *smile*

ThisYouWillDo
01-08-2008, 05:38 PM
After all being a complete person is what I am hoping to achieve this life time - obviously bible numerology or gematria is different and means different things. And I'm not interested in debating the whole antichrist and end time fundamentalist fairy tail used to enslave unsuspecting and vunerable seekers out there.

There clearly wouldn't be any point. But I'm not clear if you do believe in numerology, because that (to me) seems even more whimsical than religion, and I would find it strikingly odd if you did.

I will add in case that last comment offended anyone out there. You are entitled to your beliefs and I fully support your right to believe what you want. If you are concerned for me please say a prayer for me I can use all the positive energy I can get wherever it comes from. *smile*

... but are you wimping out now?

Sir_G
01-08-2008, 06:14 PM
There clearly wouldn't be any point. But I'm not clear if you do believe in numerology, because that (to me) seems even more whimsical than religion, and I would find it strikingly odd if you did.

What I believe in is my business and no one elses. Nor do I intend to discuss it here. I merely commented on Thorne's post because I found it amusing and if you choose to think I'm whimping out, well, that's your business.

By the way have a nice day!

ThisYouWillDo
01-08-2008, 06:45 PM
Thank-you: you too.

Thorne
01-08-2008, 08:38 PM
I've got to say this post made me smile and like you Thorne, I had to chuckle.
If you are concerned for me please say a prayer for me I can use all the positive energy I can get wherever it comes from. *smile*

Glad you enjoyed it, Sir_G. That's why I posted it.

And I don't think you're wimping out. I'm like you: if the faithful out there are concerned for my soul they are more than welcome to say a prayer for me. As long as they do it quietly. And not in my presence. At least it'll keep them from preaching at me!

Alex Bragi
01-08-2008, 10:35 PM
Yes, this make me smile too. That’s certainly an interesting piece of trivia, Thorne. I guess a lot of people are superstitious about odd things—numbers particularly.

I have a few odd .. well not necessarily superstitions, but odd things that I feel compelled to do. For instance, I have to have my nick-knacks around the house all in clusters of three. I’m not sure if if’s it’s unlucky not to because I’ve never chanced doing it any other way. *g*

And, Sir G, I’m one of those who are a little miffed by the use of the word ‘fairy tale’ in reference to religion. I say that not because I'm religious, or I’m trying to defend religion, but more because I feel it’s just simply not a fair thing to say, particularly here on this forum where we have many good people here who also just happen to be theists.

Sir_G
01-08-2008, 11:26 PM
And, Sir G, I’m one of those who are a little miffed by the use of the word ‘fairy tale’ in reference to religion. I say that not because I'm religious, or I’m trying to defend religion, but more because I feel it’s just simply not a fair thing to say, particularly here on this forum where we have many good people here who also just happen to be theists.

A fair enough comment Alex see above. I think myth is far more applicable seeing as thats what other religions refer to my beliefs as and probably far less offensive.

Thorne
01-09-2008, 02:42 PM
Merriam-Webster's online dictionary defines "myth" as -
1 a: a usually traditional story of ostensibly historical events that serves to unfold part of the world view of a people or explain a practice, belief, or natural phenomenon b: parable, allegory
2 a: a popular belief or tradition that has grown up around something or someone; especially : one embodying the ideals and institutions of a society or segment of society <seduced by the American myth of individualism — Orde Coombs> b: an unfounded or false notion

"Fairy tale" is defined as -
1 a: a story (as for children) involving fantastic forces and beings (as fairies, wizards, and goblins) —called also fairy story b: a story in which improbable events lead to a happy ending
2: a made-up story usually designed to mislead

And it defines "mythos"
2: a pattern of beliefs expressing often symbolically the characteristic or prevalent attitudes in a group or culture

It seems to me that Alex is right: religion cannot really be considered a fairy tale. It's more in line with a mythos.
I think you can make a point of defining the stories in the Bible, for example, as myth. Possibly even fairy tales in some cases.

Sir_G
01-09-2008, 04:55 PM
An excellent clarification Thorne. The good old Websters dicyionary still comes in very handy. I also think, in a subject as emotionally charged as religous beliefs, it has a lot to do with personal perceptions. To one person the same word can mean something completely different than it does to another. Also a lot depends on the context it is used in and that applies to written text as well as the way it is emphasised in a conversation. Ahh the vagaries of the English Language.

I think it is rare for people in general to pull out a dictionary these days except when they are explaining something to their children for a homework assignment or to clarify a point as you have done here. I know I only really do it when I want to check the spelling of a word like "vagaries" so I don't appear as stupid as I may sound or for an important email or the like.

The amount of misspelled words and lousy grammar I get in letters sent by companies still staggers me. In this day and age with things like spell checkers and grammar checkers at our finger tips it still happens. But I digress and have gone completely off topic.

I shall never the less hit the new thankyou button for your most useful post.

Cheers.

Thorne
01-09-2008, 05:32 PM
I think it is rare for people in general to pull out a dictionary these days except when they are explaining something to their children for a homework assignment or to clarify a point as you have done here. I know I only really do it when I want to check the spelling of a word like "vagaries" so I don't appear as stupid as I may sound or for an important email or the like.
"Pull out" a dictionary? You mean, as in a BOOK? Heaven forbid! I use the online edition. Much easier than leafing through pages.

The amount of misspelled words and lousy grammar I get in letters sent by companies still staggers me. In this day and age with things like spell checkers and grammar checkers at our finger tips it still happens.
I agree completely. Even here, with spell checking as you type, many people don't seem to care that there spelling is sometimes atrocious. (I refer, of course, to those for whom English is their native language, and not to those who post in English so that people like me can read them. If this site were in any other language I wouldn't be here. I'm terrible with languages.)

I shall never the less hit the new thankyou button for your most useful post.
You are quite welcome, Sir_G.