PDA

View Full Version : reviewing the reviewer

underwhere
02-13-2008, 03:29 PM
I'm rather new to this site, so I haven't had a real chance to really get my fingers dirty yet, (uhm.....no, not that way ;) ) but in reading over some of the posts in this particular forum, it occurs to me that there might be a more useful way of dealing with the vindictive reviewers, and also showing appreciation for the more thoughtful reviewers.

Would it be possible to implement something like a reverse-feedback mechanism? For example, if I write a story and received a review for it, it would be nice if I could rate the quality of the review that was given to me. That way, not only can I give feedback directly to the reviewer but there could also be the potential for people to acquire a "reviewer's score". If a reviewer always or generally gives very thoughtful reviews, their reviewer's score could be quite high. If they are always trashing stories without offering any serious constructive criticism, the actual usefulness of their review would be rather limited, if useful at all, and their reviewer score would be quite low.

Perhaps a reviewer's score could even be weighted to affect the overall review such that if the average review rates a story an 8, and a "this story is trash" review rates it a 1, and the author of that review always rates stories a 1 without little or useful input to the author, that 1 would not be as meaningful to the overall review itself since it would be weighted less than other reviewers reviews for the same story.

With each review given to an author, the author should be able to respond something like this: "On a scale of one to ten, where one is not at all useful and ten is exceptionally useful, I found this review to be ...." As a person reviews different stories, and accumulates reviewing scores from the authors of those stories, it can become a bit easier to ferret out the vindictive reviewers from those who are truly interested in providing a helpful review process.

Anyway, just an idea. It might have been discussed before, but I did sort of glance through here and didn't see anything quite like this mentioned anywhere. Thoughts or comments (or reviews ;) ) anybody?

Alex Bragi
02-13-2008, 05:20 PM
Well, it's an interesting idea for sure, but the problem I see is exactly the same as the problem with reviewing in the first place-- and that's differing opinions.

Authors here do have a right of reply although few seem to actually use it.

Razor7826
02-13-2008, 08:23 PM
The 'reply' action and the ability to search for a person's reviews is enough, in my opinion. I try to respond to most of my reviewers (though it hasn't really encouraged more reviews =( )

The numerical scores ultimately don't matter as much as the comments and content contained in the review; there is a reason why reviewers like Roger Ebert loathe the star system.

H Dean
02-13-2008, 11:45 PM
The 'reply' action and the ability to search for a person's reviews is enough, in my opinion. I try to respond to most of my reviewers (though it hasn't really encouraged more reviews =( )
I hope that is a lesson to you, Razor. Most readers do not bother to offer reviews. Instead, they read and then go on. Remember to offer reviews and, if possible, go out of your way to read a story and offer a review. As you have found, it is very nice to get reviews. Just don't expect them. I have a story with over 50K views. There are only a handful of reviews, comparatively.

My own practice is to review every story I read. There was even a time when I tried to read and review a story each week. My work schedule and personal life no longer allows for this attentiveness and I can only offer reviews, here and there, in short bursts.

As an aside to this, I try not review student stories in the Library. There are exception, but I find that I look at them differently. That is, I read them in the same manner I as when they present them in the Block. Consequently, I just can't enjoy them the way I should.

Don't think I am not watching your reviews, though. Don't think I don't read them either. I do. Not all, but I get to enough of them to see the product you are presenting. I suspect the other instructors keep an eye on students, as well.

Dean