PDA

View Full Version : site navigation issue

underwhere
02-27-2008, 06:54 PM
Once I select to go into the forums from the main bdsmlibrary splash page, there seems to be no easy way to navigate, for example, to the story or video section of the web site without loading the splash page again by way of either manually redirecting my browser to http://www.bdsmlibrary.com or by using my back button. It might be more useful to add to the navigation framework at the top of the page to make it easier to navigate to the other parts of the website. Interestingly, while one might assume that clicking on the BDSM Library logo might bring one back to the website splash page, it seems, instead, to go to the topmost level of the Forum index. Was this done purposefully? It seems a little confusing, at least to me.

Warbaby1943
02-27-2008, 08:44 PM
Have you tried going to your UserCp then going to the bottom of the page and choosing where you want to go from all the forums that are available? It is in the bottom right hand corner called Forum Jump. It works fine for me.

Torq
02-27-2008, 09:04 PM
Yup,,Thanks Wb

T

SheepishJaina
02-27-2008, 09:07 PM
Hrmm, to me it seems as though the OP is talknig about being able to just click up top to go to the stories, or the academy, etc from the forums. I know both are linked in links, but it seems as though there should be at least a story link at the top to me

underwhere
02-28-2008, 12:01 AM
First of all, Warbaby1943, I actually didn't see that. :( Thanks for pointing that to my attention. :) Sometimes I do miss things hidden at the bottom like that.

SheepishJaina, you are correct in that that is sort of what I was expecting to be able to do, but right now, it seems I can't, or at least not that way.

underwhere
03-22-2008, 09:46 AM
I'm involved in a couple of different web sites. This one seems to be the only web site with a forum that doesn't automatically "subscribe" you to threads you post in, i.e., notify you by e-mail when there are replies in the thread. You have to actually select that as an option when you post the thread or reply to the thread. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm always interested in reading what people post in response to what I write and in topics I am interested in. I don't like the fact that I have to check a box each time I want to subscribe to a thread. However, for those who don't wish to be pestered with such notifications, perhaps this should be a user profile option which can be set in the User CP. That way, people who want to be so notified will not have to remember to check the box every time they post a message in a thread, and people who don't want to be notified for every thread they post in will still have the option to choose which threads they want to subscribe to.

DowntownAmber
03-22-2008, 10:18 AM
I have to say I like it the way it is. I don't post in the Fun And Games section a ton, but I do and I can only imagine how irritating updates on some of those threads could get after awhile. I suppose it depends on how often you post, but for me it's a much better option to be selective and pick and choose what I want updates on.

underwhere
03-22-2008, 10:32 AM
I had this idea as I was typing my last message, but felt it deserved a separate thread.

It would also be nice if there was some way to view, in one spot, all thread topics to which you have posted, and perhaps also the handle and time of the last person to post in that thread. That also would make monitoring which threads have had responses after your message or response a bit easier.

I seem to be full of suggestions today. I hope people don't get too tired of them around here. :)

Warbaby1943
03-22-2008, 02:27 PM
I had this idea as I was typing my last message, but felt it deserved a separate thread.

It would also be nice if there was some way to view, in one spot, all thread topics to which you have posted, and perhaps also the handle and time of the last person to post in that thread. That also would make monitoring which threads have had responses after your message or response a bit easier.

I seem to be full of suggestions today. I hope people don't get too tired of them around here. :)Why don't you just subscribe to the thread automatically and I think that will accomplish what you are looking for in threads you start. Then any other threads you may be interested in you can subscribe to them as you see fit. Not everyone wants or needs every thread they reply to set to be monitored by them automatically.

Warbaby1943
03-22-2008, 02:30 PM
It is fairly simple to automatically subscribe to any thread you start. Then it is equally as simple to subscribe to any thread you want to keep track of.

Alex Bragi
03-23-2008, 09:51 PM

I seem to be full of suggestions today. I hope people don't get too tired of them around here. :)

Not at all. :)

underwhere
03-23-2008, 10:04 PM
Why don't you just subscribe to the thread automatically and I think that will accomplish what you are looking for in threads you start. Then any other threads you may be interested in you can subscribe to them as you see fit. Not everyone wants or needs every thread they reply to set to be monitored by them automatically.

My problem is that I often forget to do so. Then I can't remember where the thread was that I responded to if I want to go back and check on it later, or even if I just want to go back and subscribe to the thread. Also, there appears to be some fixed limit as to how many threads you can subscribe to. Granted, that limit appears to be quite high.

I agree that this is not something that everybody needs. I think it would work much better as a settable user option.

Euryleia
03-23-2008, 10:28 PM
If you look at your statistics, you'll see all the posts you've made in reverse chronological order. Just check there to see what you've responded to.

underwhere
03-24-2008, 02:00 PM
If you look at your statistics, you'll see all the posts you've made in reverse chronological order. Just check there to see what you've responded to.

You know what? I didn't even see it there, and you know what else? It was probably there the whole time!

Thanks for pointing that out to me, Euryleia.

So I guess that means I should cancel this suggestion since its already been implemented. Wow! You BDSM Library admins and mods are FAST! ;)

underwhere, who doesn't always see things the first time around

zyx987
11-02-2008, 07:21 AM
why do you have to post to open your account?

thepast
11-02-2008, 03:41 PM
You don't. When you first register, your account requires email confirmation & then you are a registered user.