PDA

View Full Version : Semper Fi Act

rora
03-02-2008, 07:05 AM
Does anyone know how the Semper Fi Act of 2008 is doing? I am not having much luck tracking it.

rora
03-02-2008, 07:08 AM
Just in case you hadn't heard of it. http://demint.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressReleases.Detail&PressRelease_id=efe9c9d2-c741-84dd-2aee-bdcccad26a06

Thanks

rora
03-02-2008, 08:23 AM
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h110-5222

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s110-2596

thanks anyway

mkemse
03-02-2008, 08:59 AM
my undetstanding is despite the vote that the berkely city council took on , they apprently decided to make the resolution NON Binding and vote more to public awareness the anything else, to let other communities at least SEE what they did, not much detail is avaiible on the final resoultion by the city council, also know past political history in colleges Berkely seemd like the idea place to make statement

rora
03-02-2008, 09:16 AM
Well they certainly made their statement. I hope that Semper Fi Act passes. I know there has been a lot of backlash on it. I have read some letters people have written to the city counsil. People with big connections are done doing buisness there, and they are asking others to do the same.

mkemse
03-02-2008, 10:13 AM
Well they certainly made their statement. I hope that Semper Fi Act passes. I know there has been a lot of backlash on it. I have read some letters people have written to the city counsil. People with big connections are done doing buisness there, and they are asking others to do the same.

Yes that is one reason why is eneded up as a Non Binding Referendum, they realizedwhat was at stake, also I am not taking ANY position on it only relaying what i have read i am neither Pro or Con on it to many issues in my own state to deal with :)

My other "guess" is that had it happeneded anywhere else is would not have gotten the publicity it did, Berkley has a ong Anti War history, if this vote had been taken in cleveland, chicago ect i am not sure as much press coverage would have been made
BTW there are many Repbulican thatdo NOT lie the act as they feel it infriges on the country right of freedon of expression

But on the Plus side, it shows our freedom oas American Ciizens to express our beliefs and feeling and not go to jail over it

Thorne
03-02-2008, 05:13 PM
It would be nice to see many more of these government give-aways, which tend to benefit an elite few, discontinued and switched over to help all of our military people and their families. They are far more deserving than many others!

rora
03-02-2008, 06:02 PM
I have had family members and friends that were in our Armed Services, as far back as I can remember. My Grandfather was the oldest one I can remember. My father was in WWII. My aunt was one of the first WAC. My hubby was the Nam era as was a good friend of ours, also my brother. My cousin was in the Navy. We also had many other friends in Nam. Some made it back, some didn't. The ones that did were not treated well, as we all know. A friend of ours was actually spit on. Our son and a nephew were in the Gulf War.

I have babysat while someone went through flashbacks. I have held a Nam Vet in my arms while he cried. He thought he was over it and was so humilated. I belonged to a group that was to support and honor the Gulf War soldiers. I walked out on it when they decided only the ones in the Gulf would be honored. The ones stateside didn't deserve it. From that moment on. I started 'adopting' soldiers. My family backed me.

I have been to a presentation where the Honorable Service Medal was awarded to many people I know. http://www.veteransoforegon.com/medal.html

In my opinion, our service men and women need and deseve our support. That's why I hope the Semper Fi Act is passed.

To the Patriot Guard Riders...you are doing a wonderful job. God Bless you and keep up the good work. The PGR flags are great!

To all service men and women that read this, you have my thanks.

Well I didn't do too bad. *laughing* This subject makes my blood boil.

mkemse
03-02-2008, 06:17 PM
I have had family members and friends that were in our Armed Services, as far back as I can remember. My Grandfather was the oldest one I can remember. My father was in WWII. My aunt was one of the first WAC. My hubby was the Nam era as was a good friend of ours, also my brother. My cousin was in the Navy. We also had many other friends in Nam. Some made it back, some didn't. The ones that did were not treated well, as we all know. A friend of ours was actually spit on. Our son and a nephew were in the Gulf War.

I have babysat while someone went through flashbacks. I have held a Nam Vet in my arms while he cried. He thought he was over it and was so humilated. I belonged to a group that was to support and honor the Gulf War soldiers. I walked out on it when they decided only the ones in the Gulf would be honored. The ones stateside didn't deserve it. From that moment on. I started 'adopting' soldiers. My family backed me.

I have been to a presentation where the Honorable Service Medal was awarded to many people I know. http://www.veteransoforegon.com/medal.html

In my opinion, our service men and women need and deseve our support. That's why I hope the Semper Fi Act is passed.

To the Patriot Guard Riders...you are doing a wonderful job. God Bless you and keep up the good work. The PGR flags are great!

To all service men and women that read this, you have my thanks.

Well I didn't do too bad. *laughing* This subject makes my blood boil.

I agree with you 100% and support you, but the reality is in a totaly free society that we have, there are things that not all peole will agree with, that is why Freedon of Speach and Expression is so Preceious as it is, it may anger you, it may upset you, you may want to shout and scream about, but this is still a right of Freedom of Expression Americans have, one of the many freedom we enjoy thannks to our Military, withoutthem we would not have any of these freedoms rmember Freedom soes not mean jsut living as you want to, is is so much more
I might also add, that if it were not for the Wars in Iraq and Afganistan i am not so sure that story out of Berkely would have even been new owrthy, meaning therewoulf not be any need to pass the law or to cover the story, it was do to the split opions in this country over the WARS, you may not agree with them but they have Constitution right to say wha tthey did and do what they did, reminds me ofthe Viet Nam era anti war vs establishment, same situaion different genenerations
And God Bless you for your actions as well

rora
03-02-2008, 07:49 PM
Of course You are right. They do have that right to say what they think...just as I have. I also think we have the right, to take that money and give it to the Military. They most certainly could use it to help the wounded. The ones that were wounded fighting to preserve our freedoms and rights. It would be money well spent!

mkemse
03-02-2008, 07:55 PM
Of course You are right. They do have that right to say what they think...just as I have. I also think we have the right, to take that money and give it to the Military. They most certainly could use it to help the wounded. The ones that were wounded fighting to preserve our freedoms and rights. It would be money well spent!

No my point was simply altho many do not agree withwha tthe City Of Berkely did, they had th right to do it, that was all i meant and if we had no wars going on , iam not so sure that would have even made the news
Let use the money saved by brinig our troops home, they need it more the Iraq does, but i do not want to hijack this threat, the vet need more moneyyhen the goverment will ever give them

btw any one heard recently whether Walter Redd is still being worked n ?? i am not making light ofdf that i simply have not heard anything recently?? let use moneythere as well we bring the troops home we have a million a month do help those here that need it, our VEts :):wave:

Captain
03-02-2008, 08:33 PM
Well said rora, I couldn't agree more!!! People tend to forget the freedoms our military men and women provide. Without our national security, we have nothing.

mkemse
03-02-2008, 08:43 PM
Well said rora, I couldn't agree more!!! People tend to forget the freedoms our military men and women provide. Without our national security, we have nothing.

Very. Very True

rora
03-02-2008, 09:39 PM
This is the lastest I have found on Walter Reed. http://www.billingsgazette.net/articles/2008/03/02/news/wyoming/22-reed.txt

Thank You

wmrs2
03-03-2008, 01:02 PM
True patriots like the Captain here on this thread solute you rora. You are truly a great American. I support you 100%.

In the end, do not expect this bill to pass the House and maybe not the Senate. Having read the sources you provided us, rora, not a single Democrat sponsored the bill in the House or Senate. They will probably cling to that old Liberal excuse that Berkely's freedom of speech is more important than our soldier's well being.

Already I sense the Left saying this money should be used to bring our troops home from Iraq, which isn't necessarily a bad idea. But once somebody makes the bill a Dem. or Republican thing, our troops stand to get nothing. Hillary and Obama are not sponsors of this bill. In fact, one of the main mind sets that Obama wants to change in this county is thinking like you do. I just hope there are enough fair minded, middle of the road bipartisan supporters in Congress,who really do support the troops, to pass this bill.

wmrs2
03-03-2008, 01:17 PM

Captain, thank you very much for your support of rora. You too are a great American. National security is every thing.

wmrs2
03-03-2008, 01:25 PM
It would be nice to see many more of these government give-aways, which tend to benefit an elite few, discontinued and switched over to help all of our military people and their families. They are far more deserving than many others!

Well said. Ditto that. (Just a joke)

Thorne
03-03-2008, 02:05 PM
Well said. Ditto that. (Just a joke)

Cute. I like it.

rora
03-04-2008, 11:50 AM
True patriots like the Captain here on this thread solute you rora. You are truly a great American. I support you 100%.

Thanks, but I am just one of your average Americans who happens to love her country.

Thanks everyone.

mkemse
03-11-2008, 04:14 PM
good job

rora
03-25-2008, 11:18 AM
Sadly, Code Pink is STILL at it. Hurray for Eagles Up! http://eaglesup.us/