PDA

View Full Version : New York Gov. Spitzer linked to prostitute: report

mkemse
03-10-2008, 08:28 PM
NEW YORK (Reuters) - New York Gov. Eliot Spitzer, the one-time "Sheriff" of Wall Street who campaigned on a promise to clean up state politics, was embroiled in a sex scandal on Monday that threatened to force his resignation.

A New York Times report linked him to a $1,000-an-hour prostitute, saying he was caught on a federal wiretap at least six times on February 12 and 13 arranging to meet with her at a Washington hotel last month

Should he Resigned or see where the invretgation leads first, Remember in this country you are Innocent til Proven guilty and he is not currently facing any indictments but that could change, these are only aligations right now based on a FBI Sting he is refered to as Client -9 in the sting, also this is s general question I do not even live ibn New York but found this interesting enough to post as a question

any comments would be appricated

icey
03-11-2008, 12:37 AM
i know little about politics and how the fbi works or what a client 9 is, but this kind of thing really pisses me off providing he's not using public funds and being discreet then why the hell should anyone give a damn? and for the fbi to investigate him either there must be more to it or they've given up on looking for real criminals!!!

mkemse
03-11-2008, 02:51 AM
i know little about politics and how the fbi works or what a client 9 is, but this kind of thing really pisses me off providing he's not using public funds and being discreet then why the hell should anyone give a damn? and for the fbi to investigate him either there must be more to it or they've given up on looking for real criminals!!!

Because he is the Governer of a State, and Married with 3 kids and he may have commited a Federal Offense, if he had her cross state lines for the purposes of a sexual encounter which is illega becaaaause she is a prostitution it is, that is a Federal Offense, and he is looking at up to 60 years in jail, they met in a DC Hotel and she came in from New York that is an illegal act for the purposes of a sexual encounter
Transporting anyone be they a Adult or Minor cross state line to perfrom and illgal act such as Prostitution is a Federal Offense

_ID_
03-11-2008, 03:35 AM
People care because he's a public figure in a powerful position that is being investigated by the FBI.

As far as being a real criminal. Prostitution is a key factor in trafficking in persons. Forced sex slavery.

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/ovc/ncvrw/2005/pg5l.html

Each year, an estimated 14,500 to 17,500 foreign nationals are trafficked into the United States. The number of U.S. citizens trafficked within the country each year is even higher, with an estimated 200,000 American children at risk for trafficking into the sex industry. (U.S. Department of Justice. 2004. Report to Congress from Attorney General John Ashcroft on U.S. Government Efforts to Combat Trafficking in Persons in Fiscal Year 2003. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Department of Justice.)

mkemse
03-11-2008, 07:18 AM
People care because he's a public figure in a powerful position that is being investigated by the FBI.

As far as being a real criminal. Prostitution is a key factor in trafficking in persons. Forced sex slavery.

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/ovc/ncvrw/2005/pg5l.html

I assume based on your reply that he should resign or should he waitto see wait to see if he is indicted??

mkemse
03-11-2008, 07:32 AM
They did mention this morinig that Members of the New York State Congress have notified Spitzer that if he does not reign in the next 24-48 hours that they will start impeachment proceedings against him and try to legaly remove him from office he is being labeled "A Complete Disgrace to the State and City, and Governement" over this

Thorne
03-11-2008, 01:59 PM

I agree as far as countries where it is illegal, such as most of the US. But what about those places where prostitution is legalized and controlled by the government? It would seem to me that there would be much less demand for forced sexual slavery in such countries.

As for the governor, as a public official he should be held to the highest standards of morality and the law, just like our esteemed President. Our elected leaders are not above the law. Just ask Ted Kennedy!

Phooey! It's all a bunch of hokum, if you ask me. The only thing I would demand is a full and public accounting of the funds he used. If he was using public funds to pay for his dalliances, then he's violated the trust of his constituents and should be prosecuted and, if found guilty, sentenced to prison. And not some country club prison for politicians, either! Send him to a REAL prison, pour encourager les autres.

If he used his own funds, then he's obviously got more money than is good for him and his salary should be slashed, with the savings going to a home for retired hookers.

mkemse
03-11-2008, 02:19 PM
I agree as far as countries where it is illegal, such as most of the US. But what about those places where prostitution is legalized and controlled by the government? It would seem to me that there would be much less demand for forced sexual slavery in such countries.

As for the governor, as a public official he should be held to the highest standards of morality and the law, just like our esteemed President. Our elected leaders are not above the law. Just ask Ted Kennedy!

Phooey! It's all a bunch of hokum, if you ask me. The only thing I would demand is a full and public accounting of the funds he used. If he was using public funds to pay for his daily activities, then he's violated the trust of his constituents and should be prosecuted and, if found guilty, sentenced to prison. And not some country club prison for politicians, either! Send him to a REAL prison, pour encourager les autres.

If he used his own funds, then he's obviously got more money than is good for him and his salary should be slashed, with the savings going to a home for retired hookers.

I agree and they said today the FBI foud him becase they had a money trail of large sums of money being transfered from 1 bank account to another and that the wire tap showed that the moet transferedwas from his persona laccount to that of the exscortsrvice he used, and the account led back to Spitzer and tha money allowed them to secure a court order to wiretap his phone,, but as of 4:15central time on Tuesday March 11 it may all be a mute issue, they had anews bullitin on CNN that he is planning to announce later today his intention to resign, whether that happens is another thing, and the FBI is looking into where the money as you so correctly put it came from, they say it is his, but the ammount of money has transferedand his job to do comply with each other
Any public elected offical will always be publicly accountable for their actions to those who voted him in

_ID_
03-11-2008, 04:03 PM

Phooey! It's all a bunch of hokum, if you ask me. The only thing I would demand is a full and public accounting of the funds he used. If he was using public funds to pay for his dalliances, then he's violated the trust of his constituents and should be prosecuted and, if found guilty, sentenced to prison. And not some country club prison for politicians, either! Send him to a REAL prison, pour encourager les autres.

As far as the crime in the country where it is state controlled....

From the same link as before......

Of the 600,000-800,000 people trafficked across international borders each year, 70 percent are female and 50 percent are children. The majority of these victims are forced into the commercial sex trade.

Does it really matter?

If it does...

from a 2006 ABC news article...

http://blogs.abcnews.com/theblotter/2006/06/human_trafficki.html

"Germany is a source, transit, and destination for men, women, and children trafficked for the purposes of sexual and labor exploitation. Victims come primarily from Central and Eastern Europe as well as Africa (mainly Nigeria), Asia (mainly Thailand), and to a lesser extent from North and South America." The report concludes that with the country's policy of legalized prostitution, combined with the size of tournament crowds, "the potential for human trafficking surrounding the games remains a concern."

As far as prosecuting him to the fullest extent of the law. I think he should be held to the same standards of prosecution as everyone else. His embarrassment and ridicule will be worse due to the public nature of his job, but the legal ramifications should be the same.

Thorne
03-11-2008, 07:03 PM
ID, your source material, which you quoted, says "Of the 600,000-800,000 people trafficked across international borders each year, 70 percent are female and 50 percent are children. The majority of these victims are forced into the commercial sex trade." I have one or two comments to make about this.

First, the "commercial sex trade" does not necessarily mean legalized prostitution, does it? I would think it means all types of pay-for-sex businesses, both legal and illegal. I'm not at all familiar with this kind of thing but I would think that legal houses, which are subject to government scrutiny, would be less likely to be able to get away with using force to stock their houses. Barring government graft, of course.

And 600,000 - 800,000 people is an awful lot of people being enslaved! I thought we were living in a more enlightened age. Just goes to show, mankind hasn't progressed nearly as far as people would like us to believe.

sisterhoney61 {RW}
03-11-2008, 10:39 PM
I don't care if the guy paid for prostitutes, since men have been doing that for thousands of years. What I don't like is what a hypocrite the guy is. Here was someone who was so gung ho and such a "crusader" against corruption that others were comparing him to Elliot Ness and then he turns around and gets caught for exactly the "crime" that he was crusading against. But what do I expect, really? He is a politician, after all.

mkemse
03-12-2008, 06:02 AM
I don't care if the guy paid for prostitutes, since men have been doing that for thousands of years. What I don't like is what a hypocrite the guy is. Here was someone who was so gung ho and such a "crusader" against corruption that others were comparing him to Elliot Ness and then he turns around and gets caught for exactly the "crime" that he was crusading against. But what do I expect, really? He is a politician, after all.

I think what is causing the Trouble for him is 2 fold number one he was the alleged "Corruption Crusader" who is now identfied for doing what he was fighting

and he is a high profile person, a Politicain, a governor and what some are now asking is did he use his own money or office money?? if he used office money that is a felony, if he use his own money is could be a different scenrierio, thefact that he is married with 3 daughters to me is a non issue, he simply got cuaght with his hands in the "cookie jar" and now has to pay the price
you can steal if you want, but be prepared to pay he price if you get caught stealing

but like Dr Phil said at 1 time "you are not sorry that you cheated, you are sorry you got caught doing it"

_ID_
03-12-2008, 02:35 PM
Thorn,

As to where the sex slave workers are being used at I can't even begin to guess, as my source is only as good as what you have read. And as far as the level of numbers. I don't doubt that it is that many, as those are world wide numbers. Though I couldn't begin to attest to their accuracy. I was just quoting what was readily available in a Google search.

DungeonMaster6
03-12-2008, 03:35 PM
I'm sure you all know by now, Spitzer has resigned as Governor. But his troubles might not be over if he did take a prostitute to D.C., he could face Federal charges.

What I think is a hoot, is here is this guy who once prosecuted people for doing what he got caught doing; and, used to catch people with wiretaps, the same way the FBI caught him.

Personally, I think it's his wife he's going to have to answer to as well. I wonder if he still thinks it was worth it? It was at the Mayflower, which is an expensive place for a roll in the hay. It surely cost him his political career, he could go to jail and his wife would certainly have grounds for divorce.

mkemse
03-12-2008, 03:55 PM
I'm sure you all know by now, Spitzer has resigned as Governor. But his troubles might not be over if he did take a prostitute to D.C., he could face Federal charges.

What I think is a hoot, is here is this guy who once prosecuted people for doing what he got caught doing; and, used to catch people with wiretaps, the same way the FBI caught him.

Personally, I think it's his wife he's going to have to answer to as well. I wonder if he still thinks it was worth it? It was at the Mayflower, which is an expensive place for a roll in the hay. It surely cost him his political career, he could go to jail and his wife would certainly have grounds for divorce.

I agree, I was also suprsied to see his wife at this press conference as well as his first one when the stry broke, unless they are showing "good face" for the sake of their daughters, bet he has many sleepless night on the sofa
I have no sympathy for him at all, and i am not sure he is really sorry, is he or is he simply sorry he got caught??
they also mention do deal was made so Ferdal Chareges nay be pending as wee la Dis Barment ect his life as he knew it is over

Thorne
03-12-2008, 07:14 PM
Thorn,

As to where the sex slave workers are being used at I can't even begin to guess, as my source is only as good as what you have read. And as far as the level of numbers. I don't doubt that it is that many, as those are world wide numbers. Though I couldn't begin to attest to their accuracy. I was just quoting what was readily available in a Google search.

I'm not doubting your numbers, ID. I've never really considered it before and the 6-800,000 figures really surprised me. But when you think about it, based on an estimated 6.7 billion current population, that's only 0.01%. Of course, with this kind of crime, even 1 person is too many.

And someone pointed out to me today that there are some cultures in which children are actually sold into slavery by their own families. In this country that seems absolutely incomprehensible. Yet even here we are beginning to see evidence of parents prostituting their children to sexual predators, advertising on the web and in "trade papers." It's one of those things most people would like to ignore, sweep under the carpet, push back into the shadows where it's has been for all these years. But the cat's out of the bag and these things ARE being exposed to public scrutiny, finally. Hopefully we will be able to do something about it and learn to help those people whose lives have become so full of misery.

_ID_
03-13-2008, 03:51 AM
To the part about parents selling their children into slavery. When I was in Korea, there was a village not far from the base called A-Town. It was full of bars and clubs and such. A good portion of the bars had female bar flies in it, and they were a part of the bar staff. They would approach you, try to get you to buy them an expensive juice. As a result we called them "juiceie girls". These girls would very many times take payment for sex. Well whatever money they earned went to the bar, and that money was to pay off a family debt of some sort.

A-Town has been there since our occupation of Korea.

Thorne
03-13-2008, 03:03 PM
Prostitutes and camp-followers have been around since the day after the first army was invented. In some areas it can be the greatest source of income for the indigenous population.

mkemse
03-13-2008, 03:39 PM
Prostitutes and camp-followers have been around since the day after the first army was invented. In some areas it can be the greatest source of income for the indigenous population.

very true, but the question now is, is Spitzer realy sorry he did what he did as he said he was at the news conference when he resigned, or is he sorry he got CAUGHT doinig what he did??

Thorne
03-13-2008, 07:25 PM
very true, but the question now is, is Spitzer realy sorry he did what he did as he said he was at the news conference when he resigned, or is he sorry he got CAUGHT doinig what he did??

I think, with rare exceptions, it is only human nature that we are not generally sorry for doing something, especially something enjoyable, UNTIL we get caught. I once heard it stated that the type of personality required for making a successful politician almost guarantees that he will be attractive to, and attracted to, the opposite sex. So it shouldn't be surprising when our politicians stray.

mkemse
03-13-2008, 07:59 PM
I think, with rare exceptions, it is only human nature that we are not generally sorry for doing something, especially something enjoyable, UNTIL we get caught. I once heard it stated that the type of personality required for making a successful politician almost guarantees that he will be attractive to, and attracted to, the opposite sex. So it shouldn't be surprising when our politicians stray.

thanks

Virulent
06-08-2008, 09:46 PM
For a thousand-dollars an hour, I hope he was doing something fun...

Thorne
06-09-2008, 02:39 PM
For a thousand-dollars an hour, I hope he was doing something fun...

I don't know about that, but for a thousand-dollars an hour I know she didn't worry about having fun. Until it came time to spend it, of course.