PDA

View Full Version : Boys survive being tossed from overpass

mkemse
03-12-2008, 07:24 PM
What is it with some parents these days??
I could not believe this when i read it

DALLAS - Motorists watched in horror Wednesday as a woman tossed two young boys off a freeway overpass, then took the two-story leap into rush-hour traffic herself. But the shocking moment had an incredibly fortunate ending.

Police said Khandi Busby and her children, ages 8 and 6, somehow survived the fall onto Interstate 30's fast lane and the rush of vehicles.

"It was really miraculous that we didn't have some fatalities with this incident," Dallas police spokesman Sgt. Gil Cerda said.

Busby, 27, was in fair condition, a hospital spokeswoman said. Police said her sons were stable at another hospital, but hospital officials declined to comment later Wednesday. The three were able to speak with investigators, although the 8-year-old may have suffered internal injuries.

Busby had not been arrested as of Wednesday but could face two charges of attempted capital murder, Cerda said.

"The why remains a mystery to us," police Lt. C.L. Williams said. "If you try to apply logic to these incidents, they totally defy any logical explanation."

Shortly before 6:30 a.m. Wednesday, Busby and her sons walked away from her father, who had stopped for gas while driving them to a friend's house. Police do not know why Busby left with her children.

"She was not fleeing for her safety," Cerda said. "She just threw them over and decided to throw herself over."

Her father tried to follow the three in the car but was unable to get to them before they reached the overpass east of downtown Dallas.

Police said each boy struggled with Busby as she picked him up and threw him onto the far left lane of the freeway, where cars swerved to avoid them. Police believe Busby and the 8-year-old were struck by cars, which managed to miss the younger brother and avoid collisions, Cerda said.

Motorist Sondra Plunk said traffic was moving at 35 to 40 mph when one of the boys fell in front of a van one lane over and about a car length in front of her. The van fishtailed as its driver slammed the brakes and swerved around the boy.

Plunk, 44, said the boy landed on his side and then immediately popped up onto his hands and knees, staring directly into the van's headlights.

"I saw his face," Plunk said of the boy. "I saw the fear in his face. He rolled to all fours. Knowing he was still alive, knowing he was still conscious and he had the presence of mind to think, 'My God, I have to get out of here.'"

Medical experts said two-story falls can be fatal, but not always.

Dr. Dave Milzman, a member of the American College of Emergency Physicians, said that if someone lands feet first their odds of surviving a fall from 22 feet are good.

"As long as they landed kind of upright, it's not that unusual not to injure themselves severely," Milzman said.

Busby has a criminal record, including convictions for assault and criminal trespass of a habitation. Child Protective Services had intervened with her on at least three occasions for incidents that police described as relatively minor.

In October 2004, investigators substantiated allegations that the boys were unkempt and wore dirty clothes. Busby was ordered to take parenting skills training.

In March 2005, the boys were placed in foster care following a domestic dispute between Busby and her boyfriend. Busby was arrested, and the boys stayed in foster care for about five months before moving back in with their mother.

A third allegation in October 2006, involving neglectful supervision, was unsubstantiated by state investigators.

Alex Bragi
03-12-2008, 08:53 PM
Crazy isn't it? You need qualifications, licenses, or permitts to do so many things, yet anyone can become a parent.

mkemse
03-12-2008, 08:59 PM
Crazy isn't it? You need qualifications, licenses, or permitts to do so many things, yet anyone can become a parent.

acutaly that is partial true, you need a license to wed

and amazingly all survived and as indicated the children are now in custody of DCFS can't imgaine why they took them away from their mom??

MMI
03-13-2008, 02:04 AM
C'mon! Do you need authority from someone to have some kind of nervous/mental breakdown?

Thorne
03-13-2008, 03:13 AM
acutaly that is partial true, you need a license to wed

and amazingly all survived and as indicated the children are now in custody of DCFS can't imgaine why they took them away from their mom??

Actually, you don't need a license to get married. Common law marriages are just as legally accepted as any other. Besides which, you don't need to be married to have kids.
And while those kids might be safe from their mother now, being wards of the state won't make their lives any easier. They may even decide that they'd have been better off it they HAD died when she tossed them over the bridge.

mkemse
03-13-2008, 07:06 AM
Actually, you don't need a license to get married. Common law marriages are just as legally accepted as any other. Besides which, you don't need to be married to have kids.
And while those kids might be safe from their mother now, being wards of the state won't make their lives any easier. They may even decide that they'd have been better off it they HAD died when she tossed them over the bridge.

Thorne,

thanks for the correction on th license, i forgot about commom law marriage, i just wondred what would make any mother to do what she did or any parent be it a mother or father

Thorne
03-13-2008, 02:57 PM
Thorne,i just wondred what would make any mother to do what she did or any parent be it a mother or father

Have you ever had kids? There were times...

mkemse
03-13-2008, 03:22 PM
Have you ever had kids? There were times...

yes, there are time when a parent wants to. but wanting to kill them and actualy trying to do so are not the same, i view one a as a figure of speach like i want to kill my neighbor becasue they are so loud at tnight, would i realy do it, not a chance in the world
no but i could never imagine wanting to throw them onto an express way much less acutaly doing it, yes i have heard parents says 'I am going to kill you kids" i always viewed that as someone who is frustrted, not by someone ewho would actualy through there kinds onto a expressway
peole say things they wish they did not want o when they are frustrted it is human but to actauly do it to me is another thing

DOMLORD
03-13-2008, 03:25 PM
what a horrible organ this human brain can be.