PDA

View Full Version : Profile information

Mistress_Lovenlaffs
03-14-2008, 03:00 PM
I'm not sure if this has been suggested before. However, this is My problem and suggestion. I enjoy flirting and I am bisexual. I don't want to offend anyone by flirting if they are not into women. Is there a way to put sexual orientation on the profile so that you see it when you look at the profile?

cadence
03-14-2008, 04:09 PM
I put my sexual orientation in the BDSM role.
Bi-Submissive

Mistress_Lovenlaffs
03-14-2008, 04:51 PM
Some do but not all do. Is this because they don't want people to know or is it because they don't think about it?

rach
03-14-2008, 04:57 PM
Some do but not all do. Is this because they don't want people to know or is it because they don't think about it?

Probably both I imagine depending on the person.

cadence
03-14-2008, 04:58 PM
I am not to sure about that, there are probably a few females who are bi-curious as opposed to being bi-sexual.
I honestly have not run into very many bi-sexual females on this site.
I suppose the bi-curious ones would not mention it at all, unless they were asked.

Tojo
03-15-2008, 06:19 PM
Women in particular are often wary of what they put in their profiles- usually with good reason.

I guess I never look at anyone's profile, so don't think about my own too much, but it's a good point though- I'll check out what I have in mine, if anything.... :confused:

_ID_
03-15-2008, 07:23 PM

I didn't, cause I don't care if others know or not. If they want to know, just ask.

I don't look at people's profiles on here, the profile section is cumbersome and incomplete in my view.

thepast
03-16-2008, 06:21 AM
I can only respond as to chat & the way profiles work... the room is now connected up with the forums profiles to allow you to add as MUCH information as you could possibly want to add about yourself into your forums profile, so that it's there if people want to read it. However, what people actually choose to do is, as always, up to them. Some choose not to put anything into most of the "fields" in their profile-- only some of the fields are mandatory, the rest, optional. So, that's up to them. Obviously the more info you put in about yourself, the easier it is for people to get to know & understand you. Some people leave things blank because they are just lazy, or they don't want to be "labeled."

That being said, most folks will read a newbee's profile when they first come into the room, or will read another member's profile if they don't know them well, or want to get to know them better.

You can put your sexual orientation in your "about me" section, or under your BDSM role, or really, wherever else you like. If people get "offended" in the room, they can take the issue up with a mod. Generally, if you are in the room often, or if you are aggressively flirting, I assume you know the person you are flirting with, so they would know your interests... if not, a simple comment in PM with them would clear it up...

Happy chatting!

delia

gemmy
03-16-2008, 08:33 AM
i think even if there were an option, not everyone would fill it out

i'm on other sites that ask that specific question and more often than not, the common choice is to pick "prefer not to say" or something similar

i think as delia says, you may just politely pm and ask if they are or if that seems to bold, maybe to say "hope i'm not offending you by flirting" ??

sometimes, even if they aren't bi or bi-curious, flirting is still fun *winks*

Torq
03-16-2008, 06:22 PM
In deed,, there is pleanty of info in our profile section that CAN be filled out, most simply choose not to. OW.

Be Well
T

Remember; Ya can lead a hosre to water, but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, OW

Ozme52
03-31-2010, 01:08 PM
:bump:

How about enhancing the search so we can specifically query profile information?
And sort the results as we choose... by last activity date or post count, etc.

Those who still choose to not share need not share.

fetishdj
03-31-2010, 02:23 PM
Even if there were a mandatory field that said 'sexual preference', unless there was a limited menu of options (and who wants to limit themselves to the boring 3 hetero, homo and bi? I've always liked the idea of pan and omni sexuals though I was confused recently by a reference to asexual on fetlife, I may ask someone who chose this if they really do divide down the middle to reproduce... :) ) those who preferred not to say could simply write 'mind your own effing business' or similar. Anyway, even if there were limited options, most sites that have this option (and one or two job applications I have seen online recently) have a 'prefer not to say' option. I think in the case of job apps its actually a legal requirement (linked to 'don't ask, don't tell')

Basically, there are always going to be ways around any attempt to force people to reveal their sexuality up to and including lying about it.