PDA

View Full Version : Natural resources / Pluck and Play

GS42
03-18-2008, 11:16 AM
Hey all.

First of all, sorry for the terrible pun in the title, I couldn't help myself.

I am curious as to what kind of materials you use (have used) that can be found in your local park or forest without (much) adaptation. This interests me not only because I'm a cheap bastard, but mostly because I think there's something pure and spontaneous about using what you can find outdoors.

I'll kick off with something I have found most simple and enjoyable - branches of the weeping willow (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willow). It can be found in almost every park with a duckpond, requires no further preparation but taking some branches off, and leaves the most gorgeous red stripes. I do advise some caution when trying this first time round, because the thin branches are meaner than they appear.

So, does anyone have a favourite tree/plant/... which can be put to creative use? Please share.

Isabella King
03-18-2008, 02:26 PM
I can vouch for the sting of a willow switch ;pank

GearJammer
03-18-2008, 03:03 PM
there are multiple trees I prefer to willow, but the idea is the same, and the caution about them being "meaner" than they appear is well said.

Lilac, for example, is preferable to me over willow, as is wild cherry and apple.

willow bark, however, when correctly stripped, makes more than passable binding material.......

~faerie~
03-18-2008, 07:27 PM
<---loves the willow :d

icey
03-19-2008, 02:03 AM
branches are a favourite of Icehawks, if its nighttimes if he has a lucky find a fallen log makes a great pony! (notice i said if HE'S lucky lol)

although is favourite by far is nettles and those thick prickly leaves...ouch...ever tried walking round with those stuck in your knickers and down your blouse???

Mr. Francesco
03-22-2008, 04:21 PM
How about geranium branches?

His_blizzard
03-23-2008, 07:02 AM
We have a lovely slat of storm fence that has been in the ocean for quite some time and was worn as smooth as drift wood. Master was quite pleased at that find.