PDA

View Full Version : Saving Windows XP

gagged_Louise
03-25-2008, 02:54 PM
With so many people reporting trouble in learning to handle Vista - or plainly lack of time to learn all over again what you've rubbed in the ways to do in XP - I'm feeling instinctive sympathy for this petition to Microsoft:

http://weblog.infoworld.com/save-xp/

Microsoft originally planned to drop selling XP by retail or delivering updates and patches for it at New Year, three months ago. They have extended the time limit to June 30, 2008. Buying a copy of xp with a new machine has already been blocked for some time, except for some corporate customers buying HP and Dell computers.

XP has proved a very supple and viable system since it was released in 2001 and Microsoft don't really have that much to lose by keeping it available. A big Vista service pack was released this week, and a new post-Vista build is already on the horizon anyway (to be released in 2011?) so hopefully this petition may put some pressure on them to keep XP legit and updatable. Sign your name and keep some watch on what is happening!

Thorne
03-25-2008, 06:36 PM
I have no problem with the idea, but does anyone really think that Microsoft gives a rip about what their customers want? If they keep supporting XP then all those users won't have any incentive to shell out a hundred bucks and more for a Vista upgrade. In fact, if they REALLY cared about their customers they would have stuck with Windows 95, or maybe 98. Simple updates could have brought them up to the equivalent of XP over time, but that wouldn't bring in much revenue, now would it.

No, like any successful business, the bottom line is the thing that drives the company. As long as people keep switching to the latest, newest version, despite the fact that the old version worked perfectly well, they'll keep bringing out newer, more expensive, less desirable products.

I swear, my next computer is going to be a Mac!!

Warbaby1943
03-25-2008, 07:20 PM
I have no problem with the idea, but does anyone really think that Microsoft gives a rip about what their customers want? If they keep supporting XP then all those users won't have any incentive to shell out a hundred bucks and more for a Vista upgrade. In fact, if they REALLY cared about their customers they would have stuck with Windows 95, or maybe 98. Simple updates could have brought them up to the equivalent of XP over time, but that wouldn't bring in much revenue, now would it.

No, like any successful business, the bottom line is the thing that drives the company. As long as people keep switching to the latest, newest version, despite the fact that the old version worked perfectly well, they'll keep bringing out newer, more expensive, less desirable products.

I swear, my next computer is going to be a Mac!!I believe you have great points. However, as far as I know neither Win. 95 or Win 98 could have ever been brought up to XPs standards since XP was based on the NT kernel and the other two were not.

MMI
03-25-2008, 07:36 PM
I had a few problems with Vista when I first got it. Turns out, I was at fault, not the programming. I have few problems these days. No more than I get on my laptop running XP.

I also seem to remember XP had its gliches when it first came out. But then Microsoft issued Service Packs 1 & 2, and now people won't let it go! Always, there is resistance to change. Who still uses Window 3.1 nowadays? But Windows 95 was heavily criticised at first.

We all have far more computing power than we really need in a pocket calculator, but we still go on buying the latest, more powerful computers running the latest version of Windows. Microsoft will continue to issue new operating sytems every few years, and then declaring the previous system obsolete in exactly the same way that motor cars are rendered obsolete by new models. They do it because we buy into what they tell us we want.

crazy_grrluk
03-26-2008, 12:26 AM
none of my software or programmes will work on vista

Logic1
03-26-2008, 04:45 AM
The next computer I will buy will surely not run on XP or Vista. I will go Linux all the way for sure. I am sure I will have to run some Windows compilator for some programs but either way they are all free of charge just as Linux is.
I feel like there is too much spyprograms/viruses problems with Microsoft programs as it is now and no I am not going Mac.

Thorne
03-26-2008, 07:05 PM
none of my software or programmes will work on vista

Don't know about Vista but XP allowed you to run programs in compatibility mode for older versions. I would guess Vista would also allow that. Or you might need to look on the software publisher's website to see if there are any patches.

Of course, if they're Microsoft programs they'll likely tell you to by the new version. And charge you up the wazoo for it, too!

DJ_dave
04-20-2008, 07:02 PM
If Microsoft really had any sympathy for their customers they would not have a CEO worth $88 Billion haha. I mean XP is great, too great the if it is continued then Microsoft will not make any money from their operating systems devision because XP has been perfected to a 'T'.
Vista Is buggy which will gaurentee a few years work and it is not as easy to crack which means more money and licences.
Also Vista takes control of your life, as soon as you register vista when you turn your new computer on your MAC address and primal computer info is sent to a Microsoft database and saved.
For anyone that does not know your MAC address is your computers fingerprint and whilst I'm sure you don't mind it knowing exactely who you are, a private organisation should never hold this info becuase they have complete access to all you activity on the net that involves software.

Microsoft has been anonymosly collecting info on Xbox Live accounts since it's release and last year millions of people world-wide where indefinately banned from using it as they did not comply the the terms and conditions of use - IT IS SOMTHING I HAVE PURCHASED SO YOU CAN DO WITH IT WHAT YOU LIKE!!!!!

This kind of attitide is why I don't like Microsoft and don't worry, if XP goes off-line it'll still be readily available to download for years.

Besides you can always get a real computer and buy an Apple Mac lol

fetishdj
04-21-2008, 10:22 AM
I believe you have great points. However, as far as I know neither Win. 95 or Win 98 could have ever been brought up to XPs standards since XP was based on the NT kernel and the other two were not.

Yes, in fact win 95 and 98 were both based on the windows 3.1 kernal and this was so ripe with problems that 95 and 98 tried to fix by patching on updates. The NT kernal is far more stable.

No idea what Vista is based on but I have a policy of not buying new OSs until they have been out for a while so that they can sort out many of the bugs :)

Tufty
04-21-2008, 10:28 AM
No idea what Vista is based on but I have a policy of not buying new OSs until they have been out for a while so that they can sort out many of the bugs :)

Yep...that's a very good policy, fetishdj. They always put the product on the market first and then try and fix the problems...imagine doing that with a new car!! Mr Gates is still putting out updates and fixes for XP :eek:

mkemse
04-21-2008, 01:25 PM

I swear, my next computer is going to be a Mac!!

I agree, but the fact that Vista has not sold well at all, is the main reason the are dropping support for XP they basicly are saying upgrade to Vista or be without a OS, when you own 90-95% of the wolrd Market for os''s they apparently are showing what they can do, it is thier "Bat & Ball" thus they can chagetherules or end the gamewhen they want to, to $%^& with what the public think or feels

mkemse
04-21-2008, 01:29 PM
Microsoft officials are aware of InfoWorld's "Save XP" petition effort, which is asking the company to keep Windows XP for sale indefinitely rather than drop the popular OS from most sales outlets on June 30 as planned.

This is the newest info i could find Dated Feb of this year

» Back to special report: Save Windows XP
A spokesperson noted that Microsoft had already delayed XP's demise by six months from its original Dec. 31, 2007, end-of-sales date, as software vendors, customers, and others complained that the deadline was too soon, coming less than a year after Windows Vista's release. "That's what informed our decision to extend the availability of XP initially and what will continue to guide us," another spokesperson told Computerworld Australia.

The first spokesperson told InfoWorld that Microsoft's rationale for the June 30 end-of-sales date has not changed since the delay it announced in September, though Microsoft officials continued to monitor customer feedback and had taken note of the petition effort, which has gathered more than 85,000 signatures as of the evening of Friday, Feb. 8. "We're aware of it but are listening first and foremost to feedback we hear from partners and customers about what makes sense based on their needs," the second spokesperson told Computerworld Australia.

The first spokesperson expressed some surprise at the resistance some users have expressed to adopting Vista. She also noted that Microsoft has several options for people to install XP on new systems after June 30 and that the company planned on supporting XP for some time after it is no longer available for sale.

sisterhoney61 {RW}
04-21-2008, 02:17 PM
I hate, hate, HATE Vista! I want my XP back! When Master and I got O/our last computer W/we had no choice but to get Vista. I can't think of anyone I know who has Vista and likes it. They all hate it. When I first learned how to use a computer it was on a Mac, so I'm wondering now if O/our next one ought to be a Mac.

Tufty
04-21-2008, 05:21 PM
I hate, hate, HATE Vista! I want my XP back! When Master and I got O/our last computer W/we had no choice but to get Vista. I can't think of anyone I know who has Vista and likes it. They all hate it. When I first learned how to use a computer it was on a Mac, so I'm wondering now if O/our next one ought to be a Mac.

I do some private IT work for different people and not a single one of them has a good word to say for Vista. One person actually sent a computer back to the retailer and got his money back because they wouldn't put XP on it. A local charity that I do some work for almost ground to a halt because none of their software would run properly on Vista. I still have 'phone calls from people who buy new peripherals that won't run with Vista, even after downloading updated drivers from manufacturers' websites.

I think I've used just about every OS on the market from DOS right the way through to Vista.

As somebody pointed out earlier, do you really think Microsoft really gives a shit? Personally, I'd rather have XP but I do think that XP will go eventually (maybe not as soon as Mr Gates and Co would like) but it will go...and like it or loathe it, Vista will stay :(

mogollondog
04-21-2008, 06:40 PM
I feel XP is the best OS Microsoft has ever produced. After SP2 of course. I stupidly bought Vista when it came out and I've totally abandoned it and gone back to XP on all my computers, home and business. I have a feeling that Vista is going to go the way of ME and Microsoft will leapfrog it and bring out Windows 7 way earlier than planned.

mkemse
04-21-2008, 07:02 PM
Maybe Bill Gates $53.4 BILLION Dollar personal wealth, simply isn't enough for him, remember gas is up to almost $3.55 a gallong depending on where you live
He also is the sole and private owner of Corbis Photo

http://www.corbis.com/corporate/overview/overview.asp

mogollondog
04-21-2008, 07:14 PM
I almost agree with Logic1. Mac is not the answer. Linux could be but I don't feel that most people have the time or the patience to really learn it. I'm experimenting with Debian 4.Or3 right now. It's not bad but I haven't gotten far enough into it to really tell.

Tojo
04-22-2008, 01:22 AM
Don't know about Vista but XP allowed you to run programs in compatibility mode for older versions. I would guess Vista would also allow that. Or you might need to look on the software publisher's website to see if there are any patches.

Of course, if they're Microsoft programs they'll likely tell you to by the new version. And charge you up the wazoo for it, too!

Yeah Vista has compatibility mode- just look it up on Help.

All new O/S are met with a degree of resistance, & sure they do have their bugs, but no one can tell me XP is no better than 98. I imagine that Vista will be better again- my wife gets on fine with it.

We've kind of painted ourselves into a corner as far as consumerism goes. The majority of us go along with it, by buying the latest PCs, IPods, cars & flashy houses. Petrol (or gas) goes up & up, but people still drive around just as much.

Until we stop judging ourselves by what we have, rather than what we are, we'll continue to be held to ransom by the fat cats.

fetishdj
04-22-2008, 11:40 PM
Of course, the fact that they are no longer supporting or selling it does not mean you have to give up using it. I used 98 for many years after they stopped supporting it and will probably use XP for many more years even if they stop supporting that :)

You just have to upgrade hardware rather than replace and have a bit of know how (or friends with know how) to keep it running.

mkemse
04-27-2008, 07:10 PM
As an update to this thrad April 27, 2008, I spoke to a Tech Friend of mine who has been in the business for 40 plus years own his own computer co ect and he has goten word that in thenextwek or so Miscrosoft will be annoucing they will not, do to publc outcry, keep both Tecg support AND seling XP til June of 2014 in accordence to the relase of their new os currnt name "7"" once seven is released, they will cease support andsale of XP and only support Vista and the New os

Posted April 25, 2008 (2 days ago) by Daniel in Science/Tech

Apparently now that they’ve gotten the hint that everybody does indeed hate Vista with an unbridled passion, Microsoft is now turning an about face and seemingly admitting that they will support XP for the next few years. C-Net is reporting that while thorough technical support for the aging OS will be available through next year, limited support and updates will continue until at least April of 2014.

With the latest news of Windows 7 reportedly being on the way, it might be possible for users to completely advoid Vista until that time. In fact, Windows 7 could arrive much faster than initially anticipated, with Bill Gates himself recently admitting that it could hit shelves in 2010 or even next year in 2009.

We admit. Most of us here at Nightly hate Vista. If you unfortunately must run Vista, feel free to ramble on in negativity with us in this thread in our Sci / Tech

gagged_Louise
06-12-2008, 12:43 PM
Seems the effort of the customers paid off. Microsoft have declared they will be keeping XP in stock till 2010 when sold with notebooks and low-cost pc's, and Dell are going to sell new legit copies of XP on retail with their machines until next year (coupled with Vista installation discs so you have the option to upgrade when you like). This also means that XP will stay supported and furnished with updates for at least two more years. Woo hoo!

Tufty
06-13-2008, 12:17 AM
....and Dell are going to sell new legit copies of XP on retail with their machines until next year (coupled with Vista installation discs so you have the option to upgrade when you like)

Are they??? A friend of mine bought a new PC from Dell 2 weeks ago, asked them to install XP and was told they (Dell) could only install Vista now because of software licensing. :confused:

gagged_Louise
06-13-2008, 12:50 AM
I heard this on the news last night, it's a fresh decision it seems - before, Dell had stopped selling or installing xp with their pc's, but now they would be offering this double-disc option.

TomOfSweden
06-13-2008, 01:12 AM
I've got Vista and .... well ... it sucks. Its more annoying to use than XP, and shortcuts are replaced by marathon clicking bouts. Sure, its easier for a moron or a more casual user to use. But... I'm an IT professional.

The security features suck monkey balls. Few developers live up to the specs of Vista. If they did Vista would be rock solid and ten times safer than XP. But they don't, so it doesn't work. Everything teeters on the brink of crashing all the time, and eats up all memory.

I'm considering throwing it out. Vista sucks!!!

Tufty
06-13-2008, 02:36 AM
The only thing that will say in support of Vista is that the installation disk makes a great coaster for my mug :D

fetishdj
06-13-2008, 02:40 AM
From personal experience of Dell, I would take anything they say with a pinch of salt. There have been times when I am not sure they knew what they were talking about. Though in this case, it is more than likely the message from Microsoft had not filtered through to all the company...

As far as licensing goes, I have found that if you reinstall XP (say you get a new PC with Vista on it and have an XP install disc handy so you format the hard drive and install XP) all you generally have to do is contact the windows genuine service on telephone. This takes you to an automated service where you usually only have to tell the system how many computers you are running the software on. If it is one then you're fine. More than one and they will ask you to buy a new copy for each computer. Its generally quite painless (I've needed to do this a few times in the past year as the PC crashed horribly due to a virus and needed a complete rebuild...).

Tufty
06-13-2008, 03:35 AM
As far as licensing goes, I have found that if you reinstall XP (say you get a new PC with Vista on it and have an XP install disc handy so you format the hard drive and install XP) all you generally have to do is contact the windows genuine service on telephone. This takes you to an automated service where you usually only have to tell the system how many computers you are running the software on. If it is one then you're fine. More than one and they will ask you to buy a new copy for each computer. Its generally quite painless (I've needed to do this a few times in the past year as the PC crashed horribly due to a virus and needed a complete rebuild...).

I've installed XP on 4 computers(my 2 desktops and 2 laptops) without a problem or being told that I needed to buy another copy, but I think I may run into problems if I installed it on a nother system :(

A complete rebuild due to a virus seems a bit harsh! I've been teaching computer engineers for the last 10 years and I've never heard of a complete rebuild because of a virus :eek:

Ah, but computers are only strange - be they running XP or Vista :rolleyes:

Just A Girl
06-13-2008, 04:11 AM
well... on the positive side... the odd person like me is set to make a fair bob out of.

A bunch of us with spare xp liscenses (i have 12) are going to sell them on e-bay when microsoft pulls it... lucky me eh? :P

gagged_Louise
06-13-2008, 04:15 AM
Well, many of us have borrowed legit boot cd's from friends and relatives to install on our own machines - and have done so without a hitch. So I don\t think there should be any general trouble with using a cd for many different installs in different places.

Tufty
06-13-2008, 01:08 PM
There's more info here : http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6575089.stm

I know it relates to the UK, but I wonder how many other countries will follow?

Warbaby1943
06-13-2008, 01:26 PM
There's more info here : http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6575089.stm

I know it relates to the UK, but I wonder how many other countries will follow?
I would hope it would catch on world wide and show them the consumer is still the boss. Thanks for the link Tufty.

fetishdj
08-07-2008, 06:52 AM
This has recently been posted and I think followers of this thread will be interested in it:

http://technologizer.com/2008/08/06/an-open-letter-to-windows-vista/

It covers some of the issues covered in this thread.

hopperboo
08-07-2008, 07:14 AM
Great post. My brother and dad both switched to Vista when it came out and they were lucky to have very few issues with it. They backed up everything before they put Vista on because of some of the reviews it got.

In fact, if they REALLY cared about their customers they would have stuck with Windows 95, or maybe 98..
I am laughing so hard I am almost falling off the couch....:D

Shwenn
08-07-2008, 09:47 AM
I've got Vista and .... well ... it sucks. Its more annoying to use than XP, and shortcuts are replaced by marathon clicking bouts. Sure, its easier for a moron or a more casual user to use. But... I'm an IT professional.

The security features suck monkey balls. Few developers live up to the specs of Vista. If they did Vista would be rock solid and ten times safer than XP. But they don't, so it doesn't work. Everything teeters on the brink of crashing all the time, and eats up all memory.

I'm considering throwing it out. Vista sucks!!!

I would suggest dual booting Linux. I got my parents on Mandriva which is insanely user friendly for Linux. I love Linux but there are some things you absolutely need Windows for, especially if you are in IT.

The dual boot rocks the hizouse.

Kevin100
08-10-2008, 01:44 PM
I recently bought a new pc with Vista pre-installed. The system crashed so often that I eventually downloaded a Linux operating system and use Ubuntu now.
vista is the best thing that ever happened to Mac and Linux. I agree with the statements about large companies not really caring about the customer's wants, and only being interested in creating demand for new products. This system works well during easy economic times. I would note that Japanese car makers made a killing here in the United States after american car makers did exactly what Microsoft is doing now.... and a joke to follow:
The European Environmental Protection Agency passes several new stringent directives about exhaust pollution from automobiles. Every car manufacturer in the world rushes to hire hundreds of new engineers; except the American manufacturers who rush to hire hundreds of new lawyers.

kevin