PDA

View Full Version : Lord Lucan, Cardigan and Custer...mad?

restrained
03-28-2008, 06:48 AM
After reading through a very interesting and informative book on the "Charge of the light brigade" it struck me that Custer would have loved to have taken part in "the charge". He was known to have taken a keen interest in this subject and could well have been influenced by it, was "little big horn" his charge?. As a Brit i know i have to tread carefully on this subject, both Lucan and Cardigan were well known for being mad and hated each other, but there was also hatred and mistrust in the Custer camp. Any views?...my first thread so take it easy please.

Thorne
03-28-2008, 03:01 PM
After reading through a very interesting and informative book on the "Charge of the light brigade" it struck me that Custer would have loved to have taken part in "the charge". He was known to have taken a keen interest in this subject and could well have been influenced by it, was "little big horn" his charge?. As a Brit i know i have to tread carefully on this subject, both Lucan and Cardigan were well known for being mad and hated each other, but there was also hatred and mistrust in the Custer camp. Any views?...my first thread so take it easy please.

I'm not all that familiar with the Little Big Horn battle, but it was not Custer's charge. A History Channel program I saw a few years ago indicated, through a forensic study of the battlefield, that it wasn't actually a stand, either. The soldiers were forced back and separated, then surrounded and killed.

Wikipedia has a pretty good account here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Little_Bighorn

As for the Light Brigade, I know almost nothing except that the whole battle was a fiasco, something which should never have occurred.