PDA

View Full Version : theladystouch First Level 2 Assignment

theladystouch
03-28-2008, 11:32 PM
Review of Article 1: How Can I Become a Better Writer?

The first thing I like about this article is the “voice” of the author. Information is conveyed in a clear manner from someone who obviously knows what he is talking about and does not condescend to his audience. The tips provided are tremendously useful, in that they turn my mind to analyzing the “craft” of writing, not just the end product. Below, I have laid out my reactions to some of those tips.

Looking for a pattern of weaknesses? What a wonderful idea! I’m sorry to say the thought never occurred to me. However, that is one suggestion I will take to heart right now. I do know that my dialogue tends to be stronger than my descriptive passages. I’m working on that, and look forward to suggestions and assistance from my esteemed instructor(s). I can’t wait to see what else I/we will discover, once I start looking.

A broad selection of writing material is another recommendation I haven’t thought much about. I write technical journals, poetry, general fiction and erotica, and I am blessed with a plethora of writing ideas for most situations. Of course, I have never tried writing for a living, or to a deadline I did not set. So, while the recommendation seems sound, it doesn’t resonate very heavily with me.

One tip that doesn’t work well for me is outlining. I have rarely found outlines to be helpful, as I have the bad habit of getting so detailed that I confuse myself when I try to write from it. I also frequently become wedded to a particular phrase and then try to “force” it to work in the finished document. I certainly agree some thought must be given to organizing a written work; I just haven’t found an outline to be a particularly useful tool for me.

On the other hand, scribbling things down as they occur to me is an absolute must. My laments have been heard in the next county when something occurred to me, I didn’t have anything to write on, and I promised myself I’d remember it until I got access to writing materials. Never happens.

Finally, I agree completely about the editing process. Edit, edit, edit! Then go back and edit some more. I always need another set of eyes to review my work. Am I the only author that falls in love with her own words? Sometimes a phrase or scene tickles me so much I just can’t bear to remove it. Thank whatever gods are listening for good editors.

Review of Article 2: More General Writing Tips…

Wow! This series of articles starts off with a bang. The Three O’s. What a wonderful plotting device. I love it! This is much less cluttered and more elegant than my current method. I can’t wait to try it. Now, on to the next tip…

I love dialects. And, yes, they frequently cause me difficulties. My most recent triumph was a novel that included a character raised in the U.S. by British parents. The triumph resulted from that fact not being revealed until the final chapter of the book. When the reader looked back, all the clues of syntax and word choice were there, making it believable.

The three tools provided here look like great techniques for implying a dialect, rather than hitting a reader over the head with cumbersome phonetic spellings. I look forward to using them.

Let the characters write the plot? Uh-oh. My ignorance is showing. Isn’t this how everybody writes? Years ago I read a piece by Robert H. Heinlein where he said he just keeps writing until the characters start talking on their own. Then he listens to what they say and writes it down. (I beg pardon of the Grand Master for my paraphrasing, but I stand by the sentiment.) First they talk to me in my head, then they talk to me on paper, and eventually I have a story.

And now for my take on deadwood: edit.

In re characterization: I keep cheat sheets. I always have. And then I found the lovely and talented rose in Level 1. She published an excellent set of detailed characterization forms right there in her class. No excuse, ma’am. I use cheat sheets.

Dialogue is the fun part of writing. My characters talk, I write, then I go back and listen to what they said. Whenever I think about how I want the plot to develop, I consult my characters and they tell me what’s going on. I realize this probably makes me sound schizophrenic, but I prefer the term ‘creative’.

The challenge I often face is keeping a consistent point of view throughout a scene. I realize that isn’t a hard-and-fast rule, but I think it generally involves the reader more if they don’t have to stop and reason out who is describing a scene or series of events. I don’t always catch myself, though, so I would appreciate it if this forum would point out any oversights you discover.

I must admit, my stories tend to develop the conflict after I am well into them. I don’t usually know ahead of time what difficulties will be encountered. Perhaps that helps my characters react more naturally when the situations arise. Or perhaps I am justifying my lack of technique. This applies equally to the use of scene and sequel. I must do most of my writing in my subconscious, because the scene and sequel usually just spring, full-formed into my head. I look forward to developing the skills necessary to do this consciously.

Thank you for this very useful resource on writing techniques. I plan to refer to it often, as I feel certain it will help me improve my writing—and that’s why I’m here.

Aussiegirl1
03-29-2008, 12:00 AM
Thank you Lady C! I was just about to send you a welcome, and was thrilled to find you had already completed assignment one!

Thank you also for the way you read and responded to the articles. I am so pleased you got a lot out of them and look forward to hearing what differences it will make to your writing.

If you have not already found and begun assignment two, then please do so now. The key to really getting into the assignment is to think of yourself as an instructor and really tell me what you would change about the chapter you pick. Don't rewrite the chapter, but highlight what you would change and tell me why.

Have fun and don't hold back!

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or comments.

AG