PDA

View Full Version : Bad Reviews

Omega Phallic
04-21-2004, 02:37 PM
Man did my stories every get raked under the coals.

To my detractors, hmmm, where to start my response.

How about with the spelling. I use the spell check on Word Perfect 9 for my stories, but I'll admit to mixing the odd it's with its and there and their. Anyother possible "misspelling" are either the Canadian spelling, or a side effect of transferring the story from Word Perfect 9 to .txt and/or html files.

As for my stories being unerotic, I've gotten alot of people who seem to like my style, my stories are in demand, and people have said such things as my stories create pictures in their heads, I'm one of their favour writers, my story has sent them into multiple orgasms, etc...

To understand my style you have understand that I'm not trying to paint a realistic portrait, but rather an impressionist or romantic mural, visceral and vivid, using only the most vibrant colours. As you can see I also like metaphors and comparsions.

Will I'm usually willing to take requests from people and I don't mind polite and contructive criticism, I'll not change my style over anyone elses, not Powerone's, not anyones.

I have my own unique voice and I'll not turn into another boring carbon copy of another writer, like others have.

As for being more descriptive, I'm working on that, but don't exaggerate the problem.

Carmenica Diaz
04-21-2004, 03:31 PM
It's only another person's opinion and it's up to you whether you choose to listen or ignore.

I must admit I chuckle a little at the responses I receive, not necessarily on this site ( I don't post to many stories here) but there is sometimes a small nugget of wisdom that manages to push through the rubbish.

My pet peeve is Americans telling me my spelling is wrong! :mad:

I just point out that you speak an Americanised version of English and I write in the Queen's English. :D

fetish101
04-21-2004, 10:40 PM

I just point out that you speak an Americanised version of English and I write in the Queen's English. :D

Right on! We spell english the way it was meant to be spelt.

AndrewBlack
04-22-2004, 03:58 AM
Yes, plenty of z instead of s and -re instead of -er in center for example are my pet peeves. Color too pisses me off, and fetus, and scientific terms like hematology. What can you do?

Alex Bragi
04-22-2004, 09:24 AM
I don’t quite understand. I looked for your stories, and found only one, but as yet no one has rated it. Perhaps this negative feedback has been emailed to you?

Obviously you’re unhappy and who could blame you. You spent hours and hours creating something special and unique only to have someone come along and shred it to pieces with a vicious review. Believe me, since I’ve started writing I’ve had more than my fair share of that. Some has been very hurtful; some has been very helpful. I guess you just have to take it all, and use what you can.

Spelling - some readers are rather pedantic and even the most minor of mistakes will irk them. Personally, I’m not one of them. If a story is good, it’s not difficult and, indeed it’s certainly worthwhile to skim over the odd mistake. By the way I spell your way, I’m Australian, but for the sake of the majority of readers of this particular site, I generally use 'USA spelling'.

Criticisms - well what can I say? Usually the ones doing the slicing and dicing are the ones who also pride themselves in being fine writers, so what I want to know is – if their so articulate - why can’t they find a more polite and constructive way of expressing their opinions?

Erotica – everyone’s idea of erotica is different. Some people want it all wham bam thank you ma’am right in their hot little faces, while others like to take a gentler pace. You can’t please everyone, so don’t even try.

I don’t know who gave you the bad feedback, but I can tell you I had a quick look at your self-title story just now and it all looks fine to me. It’s not quite my cup of tea, but that’s not to say it’s not a very good read.

You’re right, your style is your own, never try to change it or emulate someone else’s.

Have a better day,

Alex. :)

Morrighan
04-22-2004, 11:18 AM
The thing about writing, as with most art, is that it can't be quantified and it's difficult to qualify. It simply is. I've not read your work, but the most important thing I ever learned in proofreading or critiquing others' work is that the criticism must be constructive. You say what you liked, and then comment on what you didn't (kindly) with a reason why you didn't like it. The choice of subjects is never something you can critique. If you don't like the subject matter, don't read the story.

I'm a writer myself, and I would be as hurt and upset if someone ever flamed one of my stories. I know I have a tendency to overwrite and overdescribe, and I've gotten some useful feedback on that. But "constructive criticism" are the two most important words any reviewer should know.

Morrighan

P.S. Oh, and I've never critiqued someone on spelling when it's obviously British English. To say that either Americans or Brits are "spelling wrong" seems to me to be on par with saying the Chinese alphabet is wrong. It's not wrong, just different.

Powerone
04-22-2004, 12:51 PM
"How about with the spelling. I use the spell check on Word Perfect 9 for my stories, but I'll admit to mixing the odd it's with its and there and their. Anyother possible "misspelling" are either the Canadian spelling, or a side effect of transferring the story from Word Perfect 9 to .txt and/or html files."

Your synopsis of the story I reviewed said "Loric is an a novice priest of Moslar, God/dess of Rape and pervesion, trying gain full priesthood by raping and enslaving others."

Ignoring the word god/dess it is says Loric is an a (should be a not both) and pervesion is spelled perversion. My spell checker caught the word perversion and proofreading would have caught the double a or an. This had nothing to do with Canadian spelling or transferring text from Word Perfect to Html files (you can send the story to Jinn in a Word Perfect file).

As to writing in my style, never asked you to and would probably be insulted if you did. It is my style and I like to keep it that way. My only comment was "Didn't care too much for the story either." which as a reader, I am entitled to my opinion.

You will always find readers that don't like your stories and will tell you that. I get people that will vote a 1 because they don't like the subject matter, not the story. You just take what you can use and ignore the rest.

There is always a lack of people willing to review stories and your criticism of them in a public forum will make others even more reluctant to do so.

Powerone

Carmenica Diaz
04-23-2004, 03:33 AM
I enjoy writing stories :)
Once I've written it, I truthfully couldn't care what happened to it. :rolleyes:
I publish at various sites, the comments are good, interesting and fun but no more than that.

I think if you write for the reviews/comments you have a problem. :rolleyes:

Of course, I know absolutely bloody nothing, so ignore me. :)

Omega Phallic
04-25-2004, 09:03 AM
I was in a rush when I wrote the synopsis, I was in a rush and few spell mistakes aren't a big deal.

I never said that Powerone was the one who said my style should be like his, someone else said it should be more like his, others were mentioned for possible imation as well.

It's not that I can't take critism, but I think Alex Bragi had it dead on. I like constructive critism, but senselessly brutalizing my work pisses me off.

As for being publicly critical of my critics, have I no right to defend my honour? I'm not the one who scares reviewers away.

I won't mention who told me this, but I've heard of how a circle of critics would blast people for giving good reviews to stories like didn't like, and the fact the most of my positive feedback has been emailed to me, instead of posted right on the site makes me think that this is true.

Alex Bragi if you wish to find more of my stories, click onto this link to a list of my stories :D . http://www.bdsmlibrary.com/stories/author.php?authorid=1020

Powerone
04-25-2004, 09:32 AM
I was in a rush when I wrote the synopsis, I was in a rush and few spell mistakes aren't a big deal.

But it is a big deal. Its Marketing 101. You have to catch the readers attention in about 5 seconds to get them to read your story. You only have two ways, the title and on the site, the synopsis. If they see 2 errors in about 20 words, they are going to assume the rest of your story is the same way and wouldn't read the story.

If you really want to see how good your stories do, post one on eroticstories.com. When the reader clicks on your story, they get the first 75 lines. If they want to read more, they have to click again to get the balance. The site gives you a click through rate, the number of readers that clicked once, compared to the number of readers that clicked both times.

P1

Carmenica Diaz
04-26-2004, 03:51 AM
I circulate my stories to a close circle of honest ( sometimes brutal) on-line friends. :rolleyes: Their opinion counts and I have altered stories once they have ganged up on me! :[
But, once I've posted the reviews are nice - I'm polite in my response but they don;t really mean much to me. ;)
I don;t write for them.

pet10
06-11-2005, 04:44 AM
It's only another person's opinion and it's up to you whether you choose to listen or ignore.

I must admit I chuckle a little at the responses I receive, not necessarily on this site ( I don't post to many stories here) but there is sometimes a small nugget of wisdom that manages to push through the rubbish.

Probably you and Elizabeth II speaks the “Queen's English” alone simple folk uses American English! We learn this (poor and miserable) bad language too…

alexandra_p27
07-26-2005, 06:50 PM
Probably you and Elizabeth II speaks the “Queen's English” alone simple folk uses American English! We learn this (poor and miserable) bad language too…

Since I am german and only learned this Oxford-Stuff in School, I would likely do better, not to reply :D
But I took a short look at "Holy Sex Slavers" which is rated 4.
I think your spelling might be a problem, but that is obviously
a problem you can deal with with the right programs.
The idea of the story seems to be quite interesting, I think.

My critics go to another point:
You write in short paragraphs and because you do, you should find
one major problem at once.
Nearly every paragraph starts with "x does that" "x thinks that" "x said that"
This style makes it very problematic to keep attention to the plot.
It is somehow nerving.
To make it clear: the problem is not the paragraphs themselves but
the relative leck of stylistic elements used.

But: critique in literature is not meant to eliminate literature as it could
be derived from critizism in science.
I think many things have to be only mentioned.
Just try to make the range of stylistic means a bit broader and it will be
much easier and more enjoyful to read the story. :(

As I said before: I shouldn't criticise you, because my "active" english
is very poor, but I have done some german writing and only wanted to help :)

pet10
07-27-2005, 06:48 AM
Since I am german and only learned this Oxford-Stuff in School, I would likely do better, not to reply :D
I think your spelling might be a problem, but that is obviously
a problem you can deal with with the right programs.
The idea of the story seems to be quite interesting, I think.

It is somehow nerving.

Hi Alexandra,

It is a misunderstanding, please. I have not the slightest intention of read Carmenica Diaz’s papers. She writes in BDSM Library for the most part only “excerpts” from her recently published E-Novel. I don’t like the excerpts. I have read her once by mistake I didn’t perceive her writing had been an excerpt. So I cannot criticize her "Holy Sex Slavers". I have only “comment” on her “Queen English” it’s beyond me (zu hock)!

She has boasted with her “Queen English” in a thread I have answered only that… I think it is kind of complicated language such as “King-German” (Hochdeutsch!).

Otherwise you are right: “the problem is not the paragraphs themselves but
the relative lack of stylistic elements used” etc…, but she isn’t my author. I like the f/m stories, but her novels are for me very expensive I’m only a student.

alexandra_p27
07-27-2005, 08:01 AM
Hi Alexandra,

It is a misunderstanding, please. I

Oh, I am very sorrry about that.

I only took the quote to go on wioth the thread.
It wasn't my idea to talk about “Queen English”
but just to follow up with my own
"Oxford English".
That was just thought to be funny.
But maybe I was mistaken.

Brabazon
08-02-2005, 03:36 AM
I rather like the way the reviews work on this site. The weighted averages are a reasonably accurate guide to the competence of the writing, if not to whether I, personally, will enjoy the content of the story. So a rating of 8+ from more than one or two reviewers will indicate that the story probably works, in a technical sense, as a story, that there is some sort of continuity, the dialogue, grammar and spelling are not riddled with basic errors, etc.

Technical competence is straightforward to assess objectively. Beyond that, there are some types of story which I will probably like (e.g. humiliation, mind control, blackmail, modification), and some which will probably be of no interest to me (e.g. lactation, snuff, excessive violence, gay male). Whether or not someone likes a particular theme is wholly subjective.

Inevitably, the single rating conflates the objective rating for competence and the subjective rating for enjoyment, and you could argue that separate ratings for these would be helpful, but as a blunt instrument the rating is not bad. The weighting system means that oddball ratings (perhaps from an author puffing his story with a '10', or someone giving a story a '1' because of a bad review of one of his own favourites) are of limited significance.

Having published my own first effort here last week, I was interested to see that the comments about the technical construction were rather helpful, and I have taken them on board. It was also very nice to get some positive feedback from people who liked the story, both through the reviews and private emails.

The only review that I found unusual was the following one:

Reviewer: rce (Edit) Rating: Jul 29, 2005
Not the kind of master/slave relationship I like. You forgot to mention in the story codes that there would be a F raping the f. I do not fancy stories of lesbian sex and was unpleasantly surprised by this. (5/10)

I can't question the author's preferences, and I would far rather have feedback through a review, including a poor one, than not, but in this case the rating seemed partly to be reflecting the absence of a story code in relation to a secondary plot device. Not an unreasonable point, but not one which it would ever occur to me to make in a review. Still, point taken, and I will try to be more careful with the story codes in future.

SirW
08-02-2005, 08:28 AM

It is somehow nerving.

alexandra_p27, I think you make a lot of very valid points. For someone whose native language is not English you did a very good critique of the story ""Holy Sex Slavers". I too looked through this story and came to some of the same conclusions as you. Many of the "paragraphs" are only one sentence in length. Paragraphs of one or two sentences are not paragraphs. The author needs to try and sustain his main thoughts through the whole paragraph. Also, I think the style is very juvenile. Ok, before everyone jumps on this let me explain. It reads as if he is saying this whole story. The sentences begin "He did", "She said", etc...as alexandra_p27 pointed out. Also, the story seems to move haltingly along. As if the author thought of another idea and then just inserted it here. Also, (and this is my opinion) I think the context is rather boring. The sex scenes are written as a juvenile writer would write about sex. Little intrique, lots of fuck, "ooh" "ahhhh", "thrusting" etc.... If this is the way you enjoy writing, great, but I would not be a reader of this type of literature.

So, what does the writer wish to do. You have two choices: Keep writing the way you do because it makes you feel good (and stop reading reviews). Or, if you want to improve or try new styles, then get some assistance from a professional source.

I think most people here are just trying to offer suggestions to assist you in improving. But honestly, you would need to really work with a prfoessional writer to make sustainable improvements, if you wish to.

Good luck.

SirW

crimson
08-10-2005, 06:54 AM
Ok... i am a spelling and grammar fiend. Part of the problem with having a forum full of writers submitting their work, is that most of your readers, are in fact, also writers. This tends to raise the bar, so to speak, when it comes to writing mechanics.

For me, if a story is penetrated with grammar mistakes and serious misspellings, it ruins it for me. i find the sentences no longer flow and i find myself distracted by the technical flaws, which make it impossible for me to focus on the content, regardless of how good the actual content IS.

(Yes, my "i"s are not capped - this is intentional, as i am a sub)

Are my stories completely void of mistakes? Of course not! Everyone makes mistakes! What works for me, may not work for others. i usually rake through my work before submitting it, looking for errors, run-on sentences, misspelled words (frankly, spell checks tend to do a lousy job), awkward paragraphs and the like. One reviewer commented about my formatting - i really didn't understand, since i use MS Word and paragraphs are clearly separated. As i did not receive any other such comments, i can only assume that perhaps the program the critic was using, jumbled the formatting.

Readers must be aware that writers use what turns themselves on as the foundation for erotica. That is the whole point of having the codes, providing a synopsis and posting in the first place for others to read.

Writers must be aware that no matter how "brutal" the critique, there is always a lesson you can take with you. i highly recommend discarding the "i was in a rush" excuse in addition to the "American versus British" english language debate. For the former - no one is holding a gun to your head on this site to post your work right away; therefore, take your time revewing and editing your own damn work before posting it. In reference to the latter - who the hell invented the damn language? Yes, that's right - there is a reason the language is called "English", now isn't there? Every region of every country has its own dialect - dialect is what i call the US version of English. That, of course, is *my* opinion.

Perhaps the other thing we are forgetting here... we take reviewers for granted. The fact that they actually took the time to read our work should make us grateful, not to mention taking the time to REVIEW it.

So if you're too lazy or in too much of a rush to edit your own work or learn the english language properly, be prepared for critiques that results in. If you are like me, a never-ending student always learning and improving her writing skills, then at least you can respond to those reviews with a simple "thank you - i'll keep your words in mind. i am always trying to improve."

Woodchuck
08-10-2005, 10:09 AM
Ok... i am a spelling and grammar fiend. Part of the problem with having a forum full of writers submitting their work, is that most of your readers, are in fact, also writers. This tends to raise the bar, so to speak, when it comes to writing mechanics.

For me, if a story is penetrated with grammar mistakes and serious misspellings, it ruins it for me. i find the sentences no longer flow and i find myself distracted by the technical flaws, which make it impossible for me to focus on the content, regardless of how good the actual content IS.

(Yes, my "i"s are not capped - this is intentional, as i am a sub)

Are my stories completely void of mistakes? Of course not! Everyone makes mistakes! What works for me, may not work for others. i usually rake through my work before submitting it, looking for errors, run-on sentences, misspelled words (frankly, spell checks tend to do a lousy job), awkward paragraphs and the like. One reviewer commented about my formatting - i really didn't understand, since i use MS Word and paragraphs are clearly separated. As i did not receive any other such comments, i can only assume that perhaps the program the critic was using, jumbled the formatting.

Readers must be aware that writers use what turns themselves on as the foundation for erotica. That is the whole point of having the codes, providing a synopsis and posting in the first place for others to read.

Writers must be aware that no matter how "brutal" the critique, there is always a lesson you can take with you. i highly recommend discarding the "i was in a rush" excuse in addition to the "American versus British" english language debate. For the former - no one is holding a gun to your head on this site to post your work right away; therefore, take your time revewing and editing your own damn work before posting it. In reference to the latter - who the hell invented the damn language? Yes, that's right - there is a reason the language is called "English", now isn't there? Every region of every country has its own dialect - dialect is what i call the US version of English. That, of course, is *my* opinion.

Perhaps the other thing we are forgetting here... we take reviewers for granted. The fact that they actually took the time to read our work should make us grateful, not to mention taking the time to REVIEW it.

So if you're too lazy or in too much of a rush to edit your own work or learn the english language properly, be prepared for critiques that results in. If you are like me, a never-ending student always learning and improving her writing skills, then at least you can respond to those reviews with a simple "thank you - i'll keep your words in mind. i am always trying to improve."

I agree with almost all of this. I know I've put out grammar problems. Sometimes I'll spend two proof reads and a spell check just looking for grammar problems, and then when I'm on a proof read just to get a feeling from it I"ll run into grammar problems. My only real issue is when I can't figure out how an entire paragraph is supposed to flow because every scentence is knee deep in errors.

I personally have been thankfull for the reviews I got, because it means people actually read my stuff, and also because I honestly try to write for other people.

fantazmaster
08-10-2005, 08:41 PM
Well at least you got reviews on your stories Omega.I am not complaining as my 1st story"Karmal's Saga" has had close to 9500 readers according to the counter as of this writing
and certainly that has well exceeded my expectations.My dilemma is the lack of reviews or votes,of which there have been none as of this writing.

There again I have received several e-mails from a half dozen readers who have asked me to continue this story.with several providing some excellent ideas for the next chapters.Thankfully,I have not been dressed down publicly or privately by any English majors or teachers out there on either side of the Atlantic regarding split infinitives.sentence fragments or the precise placement of commas,semi-colons and the like in this story.I realize I do not have a journalistic or editorial background and I am afraid if MS Word doesn't catch these fine points,then so be it as my time to write is often limited and quite simply I cannot be spending hours poring over various writer's grammar and style books.My philosophy here is to capture the creative thoughts in writing as they occur and try to convey these in a descriptive manner which causes the reader to perhaps use their imagination
to envision the action and characters within the story.In so doing if I miss a comma or take a liberty with sentence structure,then so what?The reader ,unless he or she is highly critical in their perusal will hopefully not be distracted from the flow of events in the story.

crickette
08-11-2005, 10:02 PM
Very well said. I am not a writer (haven't quite gotton up the nerve yet) but I always try to review all the stories I read. If for no other reason than that the writer had the guts to go through with posting it. I also believe that reviewing is not about raking someone over the coals even if their story sucks. I believe most writers are looking for suggestions on how to make their stories better and more appealing to the reader. No one is saying you have to lie and say you like everything you read but you don't have to be an ass about it either. To be quite honest, that type of review says more about the reviewer than it ever could about the writer and believe me it ain't anything good !

Well at least you got reviews on your stories Omega.I am not complaining as my 1st story"Karmal's Saga" has had close to 9500 readers according to the counter as of this writing
and certainly that has well exceeded my expectations.My dilemma is the lack of reviews or votes,of which there have been none as of this writing.

There again I have received several e-mails from a half dozen readers who have asked me to continue this story.with several providing some excellent ideas for the next chapters.Thankfully,I have not been dressed down publicly or privately by any English majors or teachers out there on either side of the Atlantic regarding split infinitives.sentence fragments or the precise placement of commas,semi-colons and the like in this story.I realize I do not have a journalistic or editorial background and I am afraid if MS Word doesn't catch these fine points,then so be it as my time to write is often limited and quite simply I cannot be spending hours poring over various writer's grammar and style books.My philosophy here is to capture the creative thoughts in writing as they occur and try to convey these in a descriptive manner which causes the reader to perhaps use their imagination
to envision the action and characters within the story.In so doing if I miss a comma or take a liberty with sentence structure,then so what?The reader ,unless he or she is highly critical in their perusal will hopefully not be distracted from the flow of events in the story.

Bunk
08-23-2005, 11:27 PM
Just a comment here Omega, please don't take it personally, but your stories do have issues that make them hard to read.

It's not an issue of spelling - it looks like you honestly do spell check them. Minor spelling errors don't bother me anyway, as I can't spell worth shit. The problem is that your stories don't appear to have been proof read. The words may be spelled correctly, but they tend to be completely wrong words.

It's obvious in even your posts. You wrote this post earlier in this very thread:

I never said that Powerone was the one who said my style should be like his, someone else said it should be more like his, others were mentioned for possible imation as well.

It's not that I can't take critism, but I think Alex Bragi had it dead on. I like constructive critism, but senselessly brutalizing my work pisses me off.

As for being publicly critical of my critics, have I no right to defend my honour? I'm not the one who scares reviewers away.

I won't mention who told me this, but I've heard of how a circle of critics would blast people for giving good reviews to stories like didn't like, and the fact the most of my positive feedback has been emailed to me, instead of posted right on the site makes me think that this is true.

Now those are both minor errors, but when there is an error like that in every paragraph, it makes the story hard to read. When I read over the sentence - mistakes like that catch my eye because the meaning behind the sentence doesn't flow properly.

If you misspell a word, my subconsiance (sp?) generally knows what you meant to say and translates. But when you put completely wrong words, or double words up, or put together words that don't make any sense together - it forces the reader to stop and reread. That totally pulls you out of the narative.

I'm not slamming your writing man, I'm just saying that the lack of proofreading has stopped me from absorbing your stories enough to even decide if I like them or not.

Bunk.

Eden's Girl
09-04-2005, 06:40 PM
You have a flare for creativity, Omega, but you fall over when it comes to your delivery. Like some others have said, it's important to proof-read your work before you post it. Some of your stories are, granted, very long, and this might well be a bore for you, but as Crimson said: there is no rush.

I don't mean to dispense advice as though my stories are flawless; the one and thus far only story I've submitted to this site in my short time as a writer here had an error or two I'd overlooked, and subsequently kicked myself for. I also got a bad review for using racial slurs, because the reviewer assumed I was therefore racist. Called me a Bush supporter, I believe. It was an inaccurate assumption, but it's something I'm going to have to watch in future. I don't aim to offend anyone when I write, after all.

In essence, what I'm saying is that reviews, good or bad, if listened to and learned from, can help improve your skills as a writer. Don't be disheartened by them. Be grateful.

T Bone Steak
09-15-2005, 03:45 AM
I love to have feedback. Even it's bad. But when the criticism isn't constructive, I don't like it one bit. For example: "This appears to have been written by a child." That wasn't helpful. If he/she gave some pointers, I might incorperate it in my stories. On the other hand such criticism made me laugh out loud.

Also, I had criticism about spelling. I use Word to check the spelling and I find it hard to believe word can make such mistakes. It makes me wonder if such criticism is justified.

I started to write my stories as a kind of criticism. (I would never give a writer directly feedback) I don't like the long wordy texts. I rarely found a story which I like. That's why my writing style is more direct. I don't like character devellopment or how they look. (I find it distracting) I like to use as much information as possible about the core of sm or other elements. Although, I've written one story which is atypical. It should be published soon.

Some stories of others are good but all of the sudden there's a 7 inch cock, a simultaneous orgasm with a boy and his mother or a sissy boy wearing his mother's underwear. I would never use a 7 inch cock in my story nor would I enjoy incorperate a natural D cup. You catch my drift, I hope.

H Dean
09-23-2005, 08:03 AM
A day after I get your note to me I see this and have to chuckle a little. I hope you received my response and that it was helpful.

As for 7 inch cocks and natural D cups - I agree that using those types of descriptions are common. However, you might not want to knock their use. Remember, everything has a use in a story, even things which you find ridiculous can be useful in a story and to an author. And one person's style does not necessarily suit another person.

Finally, I hope I was not to discouraging with my review of that tale. I realize that it was harsh but it was honest. You can always count on me being direct regarding something of this nature. I try not to be "mean" when I rate tales but I try to be direct and frank. I hope that you understand that.

By the way, anyone can write a tale but not everyone has the guts to put it up where it can be rated and reviewed. Keep it up and take care.

T Bone Steak
09-24-2005, 10:58 AM
A day after I get your note to me I see this and have to chuckle a little. I hope you received my response and that it was helpful.

There's no reason to chuckle. The message was older then when I contacted you. It's coincidence you saw that post one day after you received my message. Also, the post wasn't addressed to anyone in particular. You'll have to forgive me.

H Dean
09-24-2005, 03:18 PM
I did see that it was posted before our exchange. The chuckle was not me taking offense. Just a coincidental occurence that made me laugh a little.

Parker
11-25-2005, 02:33 PM
In my opinion, writers who are bothered by bad reviews should either refrain from posting to sites which allow for reviews or they should grow a thicker skin. If you invite comments, you should expect to receive at least some which are negative. Besides, while some of those negative responses can be discarded out of hand, others can offer valid and useful criticism. I'd much rather receive a well thought out criticism than a bare "good story'" any day.

jip
04-03-2006, 05:21 AM
English is not only English / English or American / English anymore. It is a language that became “International” in numerous fields (Computer, Aviation, International trade, Tourism, Shipping, Science, etc, etc….) There is nothing wrong with this, on the contrary we can only appreciate that there exists a communication language understood by millions of people. You only have to travel in China for example and you will be surprised how difficult communication can be when so few people speak English and only Mandarin!

However it means that on this site that English is not the mother tongue of a lot of writers. Even when using a spell checker not all items and typos are found (take only the possibilities of the different “English” versions you will find in ms Word!)

Further sentence structure in English can be quite different from other languages such as French, German, and Spanish and name it. It is one of the most difficult items to scope with.
Similar is the use of words, which look alike in 2 different languages because their root is the same, but the feeling or sense behind is quite different.

What bothers me is that a small minority of English speaking reviewers behave as “superior people” spelling the lessons to the “barbarians that spoil the language”, while most of them probably do not speak a single word of a foreign language! Most of the writers simply write a story for the story or for the pleasure to do it and write in a kind of “non-perfect” International English. Of course we are aware of this! The comments of some of this minority are quite arrogant and do hurt. You feel they consider you as an “illiterate” while you communicate in several other languages.

My message is that these people should think about this. Perhaps should writers of which their mother tongue is not English make it known in the “Comments” as I have seen one by a writer.

This is my opinion of course!

H Dean
04-03-2006, 08:48 AM
So, you are suggesting that quality of writing should not be considered in the review? I, for one, would not wish to remain ignorant of my failures. I want to know where my stories failed and where they succeeded. If my grammatical mistakes made my story unreadable, I would expect my reviewers to tell me so. If my choice of verbiage was awkward, I would want to be told. If my sentences were structured in such a way that it made my story hard to follow, I would want to know.

On the other hand, I suppose that some authors cannot take honest and fair critisism. Perhaps those authors could request their offerings have the review feature turned off. It would certainly help those who bother to offer reviews. It would be a dead on indicator as to who wants honest critisism and who doesn't.

What bothers me is that a small minority of English speaking reviewers behave as “superior people” spelling the lessons to the “barbarians that spoil the language”, while most of them probably do not speak a single word of a foreign language! Perhaps you are projecting your own feelings of inferiority onto those who bother to review. I doubt that any reviewer feels "superior" to the "barbarians". In fact, I would offer that most are trying to help, including me.

Most of the writers simply write a story for the story or for the pleasure to do it and write in a kind of “non-perfect” International English. Of course we are aware of this! Most people write in a "non-perfect English". Many times this "non-perfect English" makes a story difficult to read. Part of telling a story is being able to paint a picture. When "non-perfect English" clouds that picture it can ruin a good story. You want that ignored?

The comments of some of this minority are quite arrogant and do hurt. You feel they consider you as an “illiterate” while you communicate in several other languages. Again, you are projecting your own insecurities. No one called you an illiterate or even hinted at it. Those are your own words. If your feelings get hurt (as they did by Heycarrianne - and her review was spot on) you shouldn't post your story where others might comment.

Negative comments are something that any artist must accept. If you can't accept negative comments then...well, don't be an artist.

jip
04-05-2006, 02:08 AM
H.Dean, sorry but your reply proofs the words "superior" and "arrogance".
It has nothing to do with not accepting critics.
Still wondering how much foreign languages you speak and or understand. Easy to talk when you only need 1. Live in Europe and you will see that driving 24 hours, you have hard at least 10 different languages if not more.

H Dean
04-05-2006, 08:34 AM
H.Dean, sorry but your reply proofs the words "superior" and "arrogance".
It has nothing to do with not accepting critics.
Still wondering how much foreign languages you speak and or understand. Easy to talk when you only need 1. Live in Europe and you will see that driving 24 hours, you have hard at least 10 different languages if not more.Which languages I speak makes no differences. I do not offer critisisms to tales that are not in my own native tongue. Further, if I did write in another language I would expect critisism to be based on that language and not my own. So, your question is moot and speaks of your own arrogance for knowing more than one language while assuming I know only one.

Finally, my reply does not "proofs the words "superior" and "arrogance". It only proves that I want the same honest critisism that I offer. Nothing more and nothing less. It also proves that I don't want false praise.

It seems that you would prefer such false praise and to offer it to others. So be it. I'll not offer such. I will review honestly. It's too bad you see honesty as arrogance.

Ozme52
04-05-2006, 09:39 PM
Which languages I speak makes no differences. I do not offer critisisms to tales that are not in my own native tongue. Further, if I did write in another language I would expect critisism to be based on that language and not my own.

This would be my take on the language issue. Issues regarding Queen's English v. Colonial English are overblown, there aren't that many words that are spelled differently, and those that are, are recognizable and don't change the meaning of the sentences.

I'm happen to be tired of reading things like...

"The stealy glint of his blew ayes and the pail color of his skin could be scene despite the dark moonless knight." :rolleyes:

H Dean
04-06-2006, 08:11 AM
"The stealy glint of his blew ayes and the pail color of his skin could be scene despite the dark moonless knight." :rolleyes:Ewe said a mouth full.

Ayla Silver
04-07-2006, 07:31 AM
Lol, I agree with ozme52.

My take on the whole thing:

There will always be people who don't like your writing, just as there will always be people who do. Some of them don't convey their intentions in a warm, earthly matter - deal with it. By posting your stories on this site, you've agreed to accept criticisms from others who read your work. If you can't do that, don't post your stories. You can't expect to get good reviews from everyone.

Sure, maybe the critics are a bit too harsh in their arguments. I'm not saying they aren't. But it's what they think. Learn what you will from it and move on. It's that simple.

Ozme52
04-07-2006, 11:00 PM
Thank Ayla...

Sumhow eye gnu ewe wood feel that weigh!!

Tojo
04-08-2006, 01:40 AM
Lol, I agree with ozme52.

My take on the whole thing:

There will always be people who don't like your writing, just as there will always be people who do. Some of them don't convey their intentions in a warm, earthly matter - deal with it. By posting your stories on this site, you've agreed to accept criticisms from others who read your work. If you can't do that, don't post your stories. You can't expect to get good reviews from everyone.

Sure, maybe the critics are a bit too harsh in their arguments. I'm not saying they aren't. But it's what they think. Learn what you will from it and move on. It's that simple.

Kind of sums up this whole thread beautifully. Nice one Ayla.

Tojo :shithappe

Ayla Silver
04-08-2006, 08:24 AM
Thanks. :D

Rabbit1
04-09-2006, 02:43 PM
Very well said Ayla:ra