PDA

View Full Version : President Bush To Cut DISCRETIONARY PROGRAMS SPENDING

mkemse
04-07-2008, 07:17 PM
President Bush is ready to cut Discretionary Spening

Among Those Programs to be cut or Discontinued all together as part of his 2009 Budget are

Cutting K-12 School Funding

No Child Left Behind Funding (Which Ironicly is his program)

Low Income Energy Assistance for Low Income People - Severly Cutting it, or Discontinuing this program all together

The Federal Food Stamp Program

Medicare & Medcaid Funding and leeting those who recieive find alternate Methods of Medical Coverage

And Funding For all Domestic Violence Programs, this would include the stopping of Programs and Housing that Asists Women who are Victims of Domestic Violence - Severely Cut In Federal Funding Or Discontinuing Funding all together

Cutting or Discontinuing these Programs will have a catastrophic effects on those who depend on this Programs to survive,The Elderly, Those Disabled, Children ect

It should also be noted that aside from these cuts he wants to increase our Defense Budget

He said these cuts are necessary because they cost the Governement too much money annualy

Just wondering if anyone has any Opinion of these Cuts

Ozme52
04-09-2008, 08:21 AM
You can't deal with these as a single topic. To do so will result in never reaching consensus nor alignment.

Cutting K-12 School Funding I agree. School Funding is supposed to be locally funded. That said, locally, less administration and more education would cut costs. In California, the lottery was supposed to fill the spending gaps but they, local administrators, seem to fritter the extra money away. In the meantime, budgets swell.

No Child Left Behind Funding (Which Ironicly is his program) Sure. It's a flawed program. Causes wasted administrative spending that could go to better education. Note above.

Low Income Energy Assistance for Low Income People - Severly Cutting it, or Discontinuing this program all together No. There needs to be energy policy at the federal level... if for no other reason than leaving this solely to the utility companies puts them at the mercy of energy brokers who have no compunctions about inflating prices. Look at what Enron did to California. And as long as US Foreign Policy impacts energy prices, it needs to ameliorate those impacts for the poor and people on fixed imcomes.

The Federal Food Stamp Program I don't know. Should this be at the Federal level or the State level? Regardless, it's a pretty widely held belief we spend more money on preventing fraud in this program than we actually spend on food. Maybe more than we would spend if we just handed out food stamps to anyone who asked.

Medicare & Medcaid Funding and letting those who recieive find alternate Methods of Medical Coverage No. Not after collecting Medicare taxes from us. It's one thing to collect general taxes and have to cut a program... but to collect taxes earmarked for that program with the promise that it is going to be there when you retire, and then cut it as the majority of workers start reaching the age when they will receive the benefits, that's just wrong. As far as Medicaid is concerned, I think I have the same feeling about it as I do energy. Put restraints on the rising medical costs or assist the poor.

And Funding For all Domestic Violence Programs, this would include the stopping of Programs and Housing that Asists Women who are Victims of Domestic Violence - Severely Cut In Federal Funding Or Discontinuing Funding all together I guess this depends on whether you think this should be locally funded or federally funded. If local laws were changed so that domestic violence didn't require a complaint from the abused, in other words, if the police see a person who was beaten, that would be grounds for an arrest, arraignment, and trial, the need to provide shelters would be less.

Cutting or Discontinuing these Programs will have a catastrophic effects on those who depend on this Programs to survive,The Elderly, Those Disabled, Children ect Rhetoric. It's about whether the programs should be locally or federally funded. In a lot of cases, getting rid of federally mandated rules would leave more money for actual assistance at the local levels.

It should also be noted that aside from these cuts he wants to increase our Defense Budget Well that's wrong too. The budget was fine and ample until he started this ill-conceived war.

He said these cuts are necessary because they cost the Governement too much money annualy Yep. They do. And so do a lot more. There is indeed a lot of waste. I'm for the line item veto... which won't ever happen because the republicans and democrats both don't want it. It would give the executive branch more actual power to control spending and the legislative branches, regardless of party, don't want that.

Ozme52
04-09-2008, 08:37 AM
BTW, here's a government spending program that definitely needs to be cut!!!!

Millions Wasted... (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080408/ap_on_go_ot/government_credit_cards)

Should these civil servants be prosecuted? Have their wages garnished until they repay us? With interest?

I think yes. Prosecuted so their is due process and in those cases where the fraud is questionable, it's not up to some other civil servant to arbitrarily decide. First it would be unnacceptably punitive in some cases, and in others it would lead to more fraud and opportunity to let people slide. But yeah, I want retribution from those who actually stole from us.

mkemse
04-09-2008, 09:20 AM
You can't deal with these as a single topic. To do so will result in never reaching consensus nor alignment.

Cutting K-12 School Funding I agree. School Funding is supposed to be locally funded. That said, locally, less administration and more education would cut costs. In California, the lottery was supposed to fill the spending gaps but they, local administrators, seem to fritter the extra money away. In the meantime, budgets swell.

No Child Left Behind Funding (Which Ironicly is his program) Sure. It's a flawed program. Causes wasted administrative spending that could go to better education. Note above.

Low Income Energy Assistance for Low Income People - Severly Cutting it, or Discontinuing this program all together No. There needs to be energy policy at the federal level... if for no other reason than leaving this solely to the utility companies puts them at the mercy of energy brokers who have no compunctions about inflating prices. Look at what Enron did to California. And as long as US Foreign Policy impacts energy prices, it needs to ameliorate those impacts for the poor and people on fixed imcomes.

The Federal Food Stamp Program I don't know. Should this be at the Federal level or the State level? Regardless, it's a pretty widely held belief we spend more money on preventing fraud in this program than we actually spend on food. Maybe more than we would spend if we just handed out food stamps to anyone who asked.

Medicare & Medcaid Funding and letting those who recieive find alternate Methods of Medical Coverage No. Not after collecting Medicare taxes from us. It's one thing to collect general taxes and have to cut a program... but to collect taxes earmarked for that program with the promise that it is going to be there when you retire, and then cut it as the majority of workers start reaching the age when they will receive the benefits, that's just wrong. As far as Medicaid is concerned, I think I have the same feeling about it as I do energy. Put restraints on the rising medical costs or assist the poor.

And Funding For all Domestic Violence Programs, this would include the stopping of Programs and Housing that Asists Women who are Victims of Domestic Violence - Severely Cut In Federal Funding Or Discontinuing Funding all together I guess this depends on whether you think this should be locally funded or federally funded. If local laws were changed so that domestic violence didn't require a complaint from the abused, in other words, if the police see a person who was beaten, that would be grounds for an arrest, arraignment, and trial, the need to provide shelters would be less.

Cutting or Discontinuing these Programs will have a catastrophic effects on those who depend on this Programs to survive,The Elderly, Those Disabled, Children ect Rhetoric. It's about whether the programs should be locally or federally funded. In a lot of cases, getting rid of federally mandated rules would leave more money for actual assistance at the local levels.

It should also be noted that aside from these cuts he wants to increase our Defense Budget Well that's wrong too. The budget was fine and ample until he started this ill-conceived war.

He said these cuts are necessary because they cost the Governement too much money annualy Yep. They do. And so do a lot more. There is indeed a lot of waste. I'm for the line item veto... which won't ever happen because the republicans and democrats both don't want it. It would give the executive branch more actual power to control spending and the legislative branches, regardless of party, don't want that.

On the Low Energy Assistance, even in most states there funding is entirley hingent on money they receive from the Ferderal Governemt, as a individual who receives this Asisstance, I have been told countless time that what if anything I recieive depends on what Assistance Illinois gets from the Ferderal Government, at this time most States need Federal Asisitance for most of their Programs

I just find it Ironic that Bush wants to cut all these programs do to the cost to Tax Payers, yet, he is still able to muster millions upon Billions to continue the Wars in Iraq and Afganistan??
We have no money for those programs but we seems to have a open wallet for Iraq & Afganistan
My other question is, Iraq is banking 95% od all it''s revenue from it's own oil, yet we keep sending money there to rebuild their infrastructure, if they have that much oil revenue why should they bank and profit from it while we rebuild their country and cut our own demistic programs

Let them use their own revenue to rebuild thier country not our money

I rmember yearsago, there used to be a sayd around the world "If you want and need your country rebuilt, get into a Warwith the United States, they will rebuild your country for you"

Just my opinion on the above

Ozme52
04-09-2008, 09:47 AM
Ah... you just wanted to complain about the war again and not talk about how we should fund government programs.

Sorry for misunderstanding.

Bye

mkemse
04-09-2008, 03:18 PM
it is all tied in, we can't afford to fund domestic programs but we can afford to fund a war, was my intent i am not complaing about the war simply saying if we can't afford these domestic programs for those who depend on them, how can we afford to keep funding a war

casie1124
04-09-2008, 03:49 PM
For once the man is doing something that doesn't make me completely irate, I'm sure the reasoning of it would though. However I firmly believe these are issues for local government not the federal government any how.

mkemse
04-09-2008, 04:00 PM
For once the man is doing something that doesn't make me completely irate, I'm sure the reasoning of it would though. However I firmly believe these are issues for local government not the federal government any how.

True but Social Security/Medicare which is going to be cut as well is a Fedewral Program not a State Program, Disability Checks and Medicare are Federal Governement Programs, States paying for Medical Coverage and Medication ened with the Introduction of Medicare D, which is a Federal Program, the states not have nothing to do with any medical coverage for individuals

I recieive Low Income Energy Assistance ,whe I asked my local governemnt how muc and when I would get it, they told me "It it a Grant From the Ferderal Governement, what ever they give us, you get, i asked what happens if the Ferderal Government ends assisting low in come peole for energy adssistance" they said you get no money it is all Federaly Funded

mkemse
04-09-2008, 04:28 PM
My point simply is the $5 Billion a month not Million but $5 Billion a month we spend in Iraq and Afghanistan can simply be put to much better uses in the United States were Demestic Programs do not have to be cut to fund the War
My "complaint" is that these programs are being cut because yes, the war is draining our Financial Resources as a Nation and can be better used

casie1124
04-09-2008, 05:21 PM
True but Social Security/Medicare which is going to be cut as well is a Fedewral Program not a State Program, Disability Checks and Medicare are Federal Governement Programs, States paying for Medical Coverage and Medication ened with the Introduction of Medicare D, which is a Federal Program, the states not have nothing to do with any medical coverage for individuals

I recieive Low Income Energy Assistance ,whe I asked my local governemnt how muc and when I would get it, they told me "It it a Grant From the Ferderal Governement, what ever they give us, you get, i asked what happens if the Ferderal Government ends assisting low in come peole for energy adssistance" they said you get no money it is all Federaly Funded

Don't get me wrong I don't believe these programs should be just stopped on a dime. However, I think it is necessary to slowly wean the American people off of them. However taking from one to give to another even with good intentions is still theft. These programs were wrong from the moment they were implemented. The American people have little choice in giving 4th of what they make to the government. Technically they don't HAVE to they can fight it and usually win when it comes to not paying taxes like the income tax. The cold hard fact is very few people can afford to fight it or even find it worth the fight to not pay it. My suggestion to you and your problem is contact your local community action or other various charities. I donate to charity, better believe if I didn't pay the government roughly 4 months a year of my earnings I would donate more. I believe that goes for most people who have ever fallen on rough times or know someone who has.

Just because they are federal programs don't mean that they should be.

All the best
Casie

Sir_Russell
04-09-2008, 05:56 PM
simple put G W Bush robs programs to fund a war.

I agree with Oz on to many layers of administration but to cut programs and shift the cost to local governments make little sense and in practice it has shown that the local governments have to cut the same programs since their revenue sources are very limited. The feds still collect the most and yet want to spend the least helping the general public.

The main reason for Government is to protect the health, safety and welfare of the general public.

How does destroying a country then throwing money down the crapper to rebuild it but actually made corporate billionaires. I won't swear to the actual numbers but how much of the money being spent in Iraq would it take to have good education here, save medicare, medicaid, and social security. Also the surplus would go to tax relief for all but no the insanity goes on.

mkemse
04-09-2008, 06:02 PM
Don't get me wrong I don't believe these programs should be just stopped on a dime. However, I think it is necessary to slowly wean the American people off of them. However taking from one to give to another even with good intentions is still theft. These programs were wrong from the moment they were implemented. The American people have little choice in giving 4th of what they make to the government. Technically they don't HAVE to they can fight it and usually win when it comes to not paying taxes like the income tax. The cold hard fact is very few people can afford to fight it or even find it worth the fight to not pay it. My suggestion to you and your problem is contact your local community action or other various charities. I donate to charity, better believe if I didn't pay the government roughly 4 months a year of my earnings I would donate more. I believe that goes for most people who have ever fallen on rough times or know someone who has.

Just because they are federal programs don't mean that they should be.

All the best
Casie

I have contatc them and they said they are all funded by the Federal Government, that is my concern CAP money (Citizens Action Program) is a Federraly Funded Program not state be t right or not, the statewill not give any moey it does noot get from Washington

mkemse
04-09-2008, 06:06 PM
simple put G W Bush robs programs to fund a war.

I agree with Oz on to many layers of administration but to cut programs and shift the cost to local governments make little sense and in practice it has shown that the local governments have to cut the same programs since their revenue sources are very limited. The feds still collect the most and yet want to spend the least helping the general public.

The main reason for Government is to protect the health, safety and welfare of the general public.

How does destroying a country then throwing money down the crapper to rebuild it but actually made corporate billionaires. I won't swear to the actual numbers but how much of the money being spent in Iraq would it take to have good education here, save medicare, medicaid, and social security. Also the surplus would go to tax relief for all but no the insanity goes on.

My point exactly he is shutting these programs down or drastlcy cutting the funding to support Iraq & Afghanistan, my intent with the post was not to comliant aboutthwar but to simply express that the $5 Billoin a month spent, could be used for education here, or for Universal Health Care, or Homes for the Homeless ect ect
Warren Buffet even said recently that the reason or one of the main reasons for our recession or us being at the brink of 1 is the cost of the war, i simply woud like to see that $5 Billoin sa month spend in the United States were it woulsd serve a far better cause then it is now

casie1124
04-09-2008, 06:36 PM
I have contatc them and they said they are all funded by the Federal Government, that is my concern CAP money (Citizens Action Program) is a Federraly Funded Program not state be t right or not, the statewill not give any moey it does noot get from Washington

Maybe you don't have what I'm talking about near you. I'm talking about a organization around my area that is funded by churches and private donors. They help a lot of people with bills, food, even toys at Christmas. They are completely ran off donor dollars. Perhaps if you are worried you should look into the possibility of helping to open something of that nature in your community. Surely you couldn't do it on your own but I'm sure if your community has nothing like this it's probably needed and probably others that would help put it together with a little push.

mkemse
04-09-2008, 07:10 PM
Maybe you don't have what I'm talking about near you. I'm talking about a organization around my area that is funded by churches and private donors. They help a lot of people with bills, food, even toys at Christmas. They are completely ran off donor dollars. Perhaps if you are worried you should look into the possibility of helping to open something of that nature in your community. Surely you couldn't do it on your own but I'm sure if your community has nothing like this it's probably needed and probably others that would help put it together with a little push.

i have catholic charities but in this area all the help with 1 time is $50 for rent, no energy assistance no medication and even with food it has to be an emergency i checked with my state about a link card (food stamps) my disbilty pay is $2.00 over their limit, they coulds give me $10 but that intails a 2 hour orientation, and i need to fill uot papaer work ect and wait 6-8 month for approval if i even get it

buti appricate you assistance and advice

mkemse
04-09-2008, 07:21 PM

Thanks again for you suggestions, just trying to keep the post on the subjecy of his budget cutting that's all

mkemse
04-09-2008, 07:23 PM
BTW, here's a government spending program that definitely needs to be cut!!!!

Millions Wasted... (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080408/ap_on_go_ot/government_credit_cards)

Should these civil servants be prosecuted? Have their wages garnished until they repay us? With interest?

I think yes. Prosecuted so their is due process and in those cases where the fraud is questionable, it's not up to some other civil servant to arbitrarily decide. First it would be unnacceptably punitive in some cases, and in others it would lead to more fraud and opportunity to let people slide. But yeah, I want retribution from those who actually stole from us.

yes they should, they should have to pay the governement back for all their personal spening on governement credit cards, but you know as well as anyone that will never happen, should they be fired for abusing governement funds, yes, but that too will never happen
after all it is OUR taxpayer money paying for their spending

Midnite
04-13-2008, 05:07 PM
i have catholic charities but in this area all the help with 1 time is $50 for rent, no energy assistance no medication and even with food it has to be an emergency i checked with my state about a link card (food stamps) my disbilty pay is $2.00 over their limit, they coulds give me $10 but that intails a 2 hour orientation, and i need to fill uot papaer work ect and wait 6-8 month for approval if i even get it

buti appricate you assistance and advice

aren't you exaggerating a little bit, two hours for an orientation for food stamps, I seriously doubt this, I'm not calling you a liar I just think you are exaggerating the facts

mkemse
04-13-2008, 06:10 PM
aren't you exaggerating a little bit, two hours for an orientation for food stamps, I seriously doubt this, I'm not calling you a liar I just think you are exaggerating the facts

I went in and was told the orientation process is 2 hours long, I was stunned,
I have no reason to exaggerate because I need them, I just could not justy the time they required for the amount they would give me, Illinois does not pay for Medication either anymore due to Medicare D, I also pay more for my Medication now, I used to pay $9.00 a month, I now pay $30.00, with Medicaid through the State 2 of my Meds were free, no more, I now have tp pay for all the medication, but i do that through Medicare D, but it is still far more expensive for me then when the State Paid, but that's life not much I can do about it

Midnite
04-28-2008, 02:53 PM
I went in and was told the orientation process is 2 hours long, I was stunned,
I have no reason to exaggerate because I need them, I just could not justy the time they required for the amount they would give me, Illinois does not pay for Medication either anymore due to Medicare D, I also pay more for my Medication now, I used to pay $9.00 a month, I now pay $30.00, with Medicaid through the State 2 of my Meds were free, no more, I now have tp pay for all the medication, but i do that through Medicare D, but it is still far more expensive for me then when the State Paid, but that's life not much I can do about it

all I can say is that somebody is jerking you off, they are trying to scare you away from signing up, it took me less than 30 minutes at the local food stamps office to get my card, and what orientation? I never did get one, I was lucky in that I was in by myself, so it might take longer with other people

mkemse
04-28-2008, 05:38 PM
all I can say is that somebody is jerking you off, they are trying to scare you away from signing up, it took me less than 30 minutes at the local food stamps office to get my card, and what orientation? I never did get one, I was lucky in that I was in by myself, so it might take longer with other people

it is all because of my month income from SSDI nothing more i knew that going in
They told me that with the income I have i do not need State assistance