PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Favorite Book?

Ozme52
04-09-2008, 08:28 AM
In the USA, the Bible is #1 (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080408/lf_nm_life/reading_survey_dc)

Check out the article. Does this surprise you? Bother you? Please you?

It certainly explains a lot about why religion plays a large part in, if not the actual government, the election process. It certainly explains the undue influence, imo, of religion in our schools and such debates as creationism v. evolution.

Or do you think it's just because of old Gutenburg choosing it as his first, first edition? What if he'd chosen the Magna Carta or Hammurabi's Code of Laws? :rolleyes:

Euryleia
04-09-2008, 09:29 AM
What's truly horrifying is that Dan Brown has two books in the top 10.

Thorne
04-09-2008, 01:13 PM
In the USA, the Bible is #1 (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080408/lf_nm_life/reading_survey_dc)

Check out the article. Does this surprise you? Bother you? Please you?

It certainly explains a lot about why religion plays a large part in, if not the actual government, the election process. It certainly explains the undue influence, imo, of religion in our schools and such debates as creationism v. evolution.

Or do you think it's just because of old Gutenburg choosing it as his first, first edition? What if he'd chosen the Magna Carta or Hammurabi's Code of Laws? :rolleyes:

Surprise me? No, not at all. But then, I live in an area where the Bible is practically a must have in every home. If you should let it slip that you DON'T have one a dozen people will see to it that you get one right away, whether you want it or not!

Bother me? No, why should it? People are entitled to read whatever pleases them. I wonder, though, how many of those who responded to this survey claimed that the Bible is their favorite just because they thought they should?

Please me? Neither pleased nor displeased, only interested. The same story on AOL.com had two polls to go along with it. Interestingly, while 34% of people there said the Bible was their favorite, 23% said it was their LEAST favorite.

While I have no scientific evidence to back this up, it's been my experience that those who are really in-depth readers of the Bible generally read very little else. They just read and re-read the Bible, over and over and over again. Some, perhaps as little as 10%, will read some other religious materials, generally dealing with interpretations of the Bible, but not a whole lot of popular reading, either fiction or otherwise.

DJ_dave
04-20-2008, 06:34 PM
It does not suprise me that the bible is the worlds most famous book but then for the Christian church to be the highest earning charity (tax free) organisation on the planet then guess they must be selling lots of copies of that book.