PDA

View Full Version : Too many short stories!

Moggy
11-01-2002, 05:06 PM
Dear webmaster

Is it my imagination or is the site currently being cluttered up by too many ultra short stories?

Actually, they are not even long enough to be called short stories in the general sense. Whatever happened to the 10k rule?

I think it's doing a disservice to the writers who spend time creating a good reading experience, to be thrown in with stuff that could be cobbled together in less than an hour.

veru_skjava
11-01-2002, 07:22 PM
Moggy,

Although I tend to agree that ultra short "stories" are annoying, most of them are introductory chapters.

This site has been able to help writers of our interest begin to write, as well as receive constructive criticism on how to become better at writing.

There is the review option after every story. If a chapter is not even worth reading, reviewers are encouraged to express their opinion. This provides future readers with a chance to know what others opinions are, then choose whether to read what has been submitted so far.

To ask Jinn Sir to police stories by size seems an unfair burden. If authors choose to send in poor quality, short and disappointing stories/chapters, then they also deserve to get the honest reviews.

:) smiles, just my two cents... :)

be well

veru skjava

Moggy
11-02-2002, 10:55 AM
Hi

Veru Skjava said: This site has been able to help writers of our interest begin to write, as well as receive constructive criticism on how to become better at writing.

Yes, I absolutely agree with you with respect to encouraging writers and trying to be constructive with reviews. LOL I'm a teacher by profession! I also agree that the Webmaster should not have to monitor or quality check every story, it would drive the poor guy insane. Then where would be all be?

My point is that writers should be strongly encouraged to spend more time and effort on their work before committing their work to the public domain. I get the feeling that many people see the site as a place where anything, no matter how insubstantial and 'lacking in quality' will be accepted for posting. That can't be good for the site!

best wishes
Moggy

agp_millie
11-03-2002, 05:33 PM
For my 2 cents worth.

The reason why i haven't submitted a story yet, is my high respect for Sir Jinn and poor slaves who have to maintain such a brilliant site for us 'normal' and imaginative people, so want to produce it slowly and carefully.
However, it's up to all of us, in our good mannered fashion, to select the best stories for our children and childrens children. (smile) So, the quality is in the Site.
i hope that's what i mean anyway.

Encl. story appealed to me, immensly.
oops! won't upload. Nevermind,
If you want it, it's called Dairy Princess Revenge and you can E.mail me for it.
xxx

In lieu. i have left the Dairy Queen of our SFL in 1998

Tiger
11-05-2002, 02:26 PM
Basically, I see this as another discussion of quality control. I am always trying to give every author a chance for publicity. But how to draw the line for 'good enough for this site' is always a hard question with no easy answer. Considering all the stories are giving out for free, I am very forgiving on the quality issue. But when this site is getting bigger and more popular, people start to demand better quality and no one should blame them. Then again, what about those new authors and should we leave them in the cold?

If this is a site selling stories, that will be a totally different situation. I could even hire someone with a literature degree or something. But now, I will just leave the quality control to the readers and reviewers. I provide information of author, codes and filesize for each story and hopefully readers can identify what they want. And I accept Moggy's suggestion and will be more restrict on the 10k rule.

Jinn