PDA

View Full Version : what is with the world..

chelsea99
05-06-2008, 10:22 AM
i mean at last count in that country...fifty thousand could be dead of the cyclone that hit..and what are the networks talking about here in the US? the elections..i mean...fifty thousand human souls have been wiped out in one fell swoop..i consider that breaking news myself..no matter where the cyclone took place..

Thorne
05-06-2008, 03:10 PM
i mean at last count in that country...fifty thousand could be dead of the cyclone that hit..and what are the networks talking about here in the US? the elections..i mean...fifty thousand human souls have been wiped out in one fell swoop..i consider that breaking news myself..no matter where the cyclone took place..

I don't know why anyone in their right minds would want to watch the news anyway, but you have to remember: Myanmar, or Burma as it used to be called, is one of the more remote areas of the world. It's probably quite difficult getting crews into the devastated area to get good video. (Nothing like smashed homes and bloated bodies to really sell a news story!) Also, that general area of the world gets clobbered by cyclones (equivalent of hurricanes) once or twice a year. While any loss of life may be heartbreaking to some here in the US, and elsewhere, those kinds of losses in that area are not unusual.

mkemse
05-06-2008, 03:40 PM
Unfortunetly, man has no control over Mother Nature and when things like the Cyclone occur, the onlything noe can do is keep those klled and injured inmind, Certain things mainkind has in it own control, Mother Nautre and her anger are not one ofthem

Euryleia
05-06-2008, 03:44 PM
Yeah, they are still not letting foriegn journalists in and are still claiming that they will have the scheduled election on Saturday (to confirm the military junta's power). It's very isolation is making it hard to get the kind of news out of there that we were able to get after the tsumani's struck Thailand. God knows I could use a news break on the Democrat's primary but I'm not sure that we'd get more information on Myranmar even if Indiana wasn't voting today.

Logic1
05-07-2008, 07:09 AM
Well it pretty much made headline news here in Sweden.
It all depends on what the news agencies wishes the people to know now doesnt it. Somebody decides what is news and what isnt for every news agency.

chelsea99
05-07-2008, 08:56 AM
CNN had a reporter there yesterday..the utter devastation..damn...

o and Hillary won in Indiana...gesh...