PDA

View Full Version : Is there a difference?

bellelapine
05-08-2008, 02:22 PM
I asked this of my Sir, but I'm not sure if everyone would agree. Is there a difference between the use of Master and the use of Sir? We use Sir, primarily because Master would cause issue in the non D/s world and...personally I believe He enjoys how I say Sir in my southern accent. (Or if I'm particularly cheeky the Irish one I can put on...doesn't matter how honest I'm being if I'm saying it in Irish..it sounds like I'm getting cheeky).

How do you guys feel? Is there any difference between who you would use Sir with and who you would use Master?

icey
05-08-2008, 02:43 PM
i wouldnt call anyone other than Icehawk Master or Sir,
we rarely use them anyway, if we are roleplaying and im say a schoolgirl or maid for eg then it's Sir, its slave, or being 'kidnapped and thrown in the dungeon' type play then its Master

i think Master is sometimes considered the correct title over Sir for those in a Master/slave relationship but really its down to the individuals

i think it can sometimes depend which part of the world you're from too ive noticed that in some countrys or regions of countrys terms like Sir and Maam are regular titles outside of D/s over here they're not except for school teachers and such but perhaps if i were from a country where it was more commonplace to call people Sir then that wouldnt have the same authorative connatation as Master.

Euryleia
05-08-2008, 03:20 PM
As a southern girl, I'm quite comfortable with Sir or Ma'am. Add that to being an army brat and they just naturally fall from my lips.

I actually prefer that form of address from my girl but, must confess, I do get a shiver sometimes when she uses Mistress.

I don't like when anyone who doesn't know me uses Mistress, though.

Tojo
05-08-2008, 05:08 PM
Only lisa can call me Master- I can't see myself being a master to more than one.

I have a couple of girls who call me Sir, as I offer guidance & support- kind of keep them in touch with their submissive side I guess.

Master sounds more of an 'ultimate' title I guess- something to aspire to.

crazy_grrluk
05-09-2008, 12:15 AM
I always call S1 Master. He doesnt like to be called Sir. other subs are to call him by his 1st name

cg

rosebud
05-09-2008, 12:47 AM
In public - Master, my Master or my Owner, unless He states otherwise!! In play - the same, including more...In private - the same, including more, and first name!

rosie

alpha_Straye
05-09-2008, 01:25 AM
i call my Owner "Owner".. because He Owns me for life. so i guess that's simple for Us. *shrugsmile*

in general it would seem to me that Sir would be a term of respect one could use where appropriate whereas Master implies a relationship.

lily27
05-09-2008, 07:48 AM
Different people use different things. Whatever works for you is fine.

I have had a relationship where we used Sir exclusively. In my current relationship we use Master. Most Dominants seem to have a preferance as to what they prefer to be called.

One is not "better" than the other. A lot of people come and go who insist on calling themselves "Master" when in actuality they don't know their ass from a hole in the ground.

stripedangel
05-09-2008, 11:29 AM
i call Mr.FixIt Master and Sir when we're alone. i call him Sir in public or around others, when i can get by without causing too much fuss. i will make it like a joking "yes Sir!" witha salute around others...but He knows what i'm doing. Otherwise, i call him by his first name.

As a term of respect, i believe that when someone outside the relationship, like Tojo, who is constantly offering support or assistance, they deserve to be called "Sir" or "Ma'am". Anyone who is willing to share their knowledge and experience with others in a helpful way deserves to be respected.

It is, however, about personal preferences. Master would not be happy to see me calling someone else "Sir", without good cause, such as the example listed above.

Sir and Ma'am are a less intimate form of respect than Master or Owner, OMHO.

sisterhoney61 {RW}
05-09-2008, 12:45 PM
As a southern girl, I'm quite comfortable with Sir or Ma'am. Add that to being an army brat and they just naturally fall from my lips.

I actually prefer that form of address from my girl but, must confess, I do get a shiver sometimes when she uses Mistress.

I don't like when anyone who doesn't know me uses Mistress, though.

I'm a southern girl as well and an Air Force brat, so I know exactly what You mean. Some people in the chat room have questioned my calling the Dom/mes Sir or Ma'am, but I tell them that when you grow up in the south and in a military family, then that's what you call people. And add to that the fact that I worked in retail for about 15 years and always called my customers Sir or Ma'am.

I call my own Master by the title of Master, though occasionally I will say, "Yes, Sir" or "No, Sir" and not always say, "Master." But when talking to others about Him I don't call Him my Sir, but call Him my Master. I think, though, it all comes down to what the Dom wants to be called.

Hime
05-10-2008, 10:13 AM
I call D. "Master" when we're playing. We tried "Sir" for a while, and while he liked the idea of it he asked me to go back to Master because "Sir" reminded him of the character Marcy in Peanuts, the comic strip, who always called her friend Peppermint Patty "Sir." :)

My submissive girlfriend has started calling me "Ma'am." I can't decide if I like it or not. I like it better than "Mistress," I think.

Borgs_slave
05-18-2008, 05:48 PM
For me the title of Master is personal. Sir is a general term I use for politeness. Master is reserved for the title of the one that owns me. I think it is different for everyone.

sisterhoney61 {RW}
05-18-2008, 07:42 PM
While I call all the Doms Sir I do not call them Master, even if it is part of their online screen name. So if someone came into the chatroom by the name of Master J, I would call Him J. The one exception is if I know that particular person is a Gorean master. Then I would continuously call Him Master J. That was what I was trained to do as a kajira. Even though I left Gor years ago, old habits die hard. But in real life the only Dom I call Master is my own. When meeting Doms in real life I call them Sir.

Ownedfyre (mm1)
05-19-2008, 10:35 AM
I only call one man Sir or Master. I do not feel comfortable calling any other Dom by those names. To me Sir is reserved solely for Him. It is what I use to show my submissiveness to Him. I call all other Doms by their names. Unless told to do otherwise by my Sir, I will continue to reserve that title just for Him.

Ozme52
05-19-2008, 10:59 AM
I think Sir is overused as a "name" and is appropriate under any circumstances as a form of address for any male you have respect for or is in a superior position to you, such as a boss or respected elder (and elder being of superior/greater age.)

Master, Mistress, Lord, et.al. are excellent for those who directly hold power over you and should not be taken or given lightly.

So yes, there is a difference in my opinion. That said, Sir is a very acceptable form of address among non-lifestylers so it is an excellent substitute for the more formal Master when in public...