PDA

View Full Version : Power Exchange

tamron
06-05-2008, 08:25 AM
The topic of power exchange versus tpe came up the other night in another chatroom, I am curious about what the difference is to peoploe on here and how you would define each for you....

fetishdj
06-05-2008, 08:37 AM
Surely TPE is total power exchange and therefore an extreme version of power exchange? i.e. they are the same thing just one is part of a 24/7 relationship while the other is when power is given over for a short period of time or with limits imposed.

Other than that I cannot see how you can argue a difference in the definitions...

jeanne
06-05-2008, 02:53 PM
Other than that I cannot see how you can argue a difference in the definitions...

Oh never fear....we'll find a way to argue it! :rolleyes:

cadence
06-05-2008, 03:03 PM
Surely TPE is total power exchange and therefore an extreme version of power exchange? i.e. they are the same thing just one is part of a 24/7 relationship while the other is when power is given over for a short period of time or with limits imposed.

Oh never fear....we'll find a way to argue it! :rolleyes:

hahahaha.............

I'll wait and see what anyone else has to say before I stick my still inexperienced nose into the discussion.

Hime
06-05-2008, 05:58 PM
For me it's what fetishdj said -- poer exchange could be just for a scene, or just for online, or just for one kind of power but not others. Total Power Exchange is, well, total.

bellelapine
06-05-2008, 07:03 PM
For me it's well pretty much what has been said..I live 24/7 but in some cases I have to have limited decisions made that Sir isn't present for. (The reality being we have to work). I am not always able to have Him around to ask what I should wear, eat, drink, if I really want dessert or not..
That I think is the time in which I have temporary power (that and in dealing with our child). However when Sir is home, He has complete power. I can always say no, but those are the days I'm going the right way for a smart bottom.

denuseri
06-05-2008, 10:47 PM
well in our house i would be under what some of you ,may call tpe or 24/7, even when my owner isnt home,

but i would also argue that total power exchange by deffinition cannot be accomplished it is in fact not possible, 100%, for that would require an automoton a machine, not a human being,(tell that to the server lol)

honestly the submissive allways has a choice to resist,and unless metally crippeled with a brain injury or some other mental condition; the free will to choose

the ammount and or type of resistence tolerated is dependent upon both the sub and the dom, with some its more give and take, with others its more push and pull, but in all the sub must choose to submit or resist just as the dom also must choose to be strong or yield

so every exchange is a total power exchange in a way, its just a matter of extremities along the golden mean acording to aristotle
too far one way, a weak and or emasculated dom with the subs in charge like roll reversal ,,,, to far the other way and we find a dom by themselves with a crushed or broken sub

i hope this helps you define where you find yourself in the realm of power exchange

tessa
06-06-2008, 05:38 AM
Power Exchange, whatever form it comes packaged in, will be what the people involved make of it. Trying to define it should be for personal reasons only.

Just like most everything else...

:wave:

tamron
06-06-2008, 08:08 AM
Power Exchange, whatever form it comes packaged in, will be what the people involved make of it. Trying to define it should be for personal reasons only.

i agree tessa, i was just wanting to hear from others how they relate to the topic personally. The whole topic in chat made clear that there was a wide spectrum of definaitions, but at the same time there were a couple of very ahem "vigilant" people in the room who believed there was a very defined definition and anything either side of it should not be termed pe or tpe. This seems like a very limited point of view for me and so I htought i'd put the question to the forum for feedback.

Borgs_slave
06-07-2008, 12:18 AM

Agreed!!

Borgs_slave
06-07-2008, 12:27 AM
This article sums up what TPE is to me. We live a similar life to the one presented on this article with some modifications that work for our life. I do work outside the home and have freedoms to make allot of decisions but that is with Masters permission that I do that.

TPE is more of a permanent way to live to me and power exchange is something that is done during a scene or during a specific time together.

TPE more about how we live our day to day lives. My life revolves around him. We discussed in the beginning what would be expected and how it would be. I agreed to that and that is how it is. That doesn't mean there isn't change now and then. I am allowed to express opinions and ask for things but in the end it is his decision that is the final one. These are all things that take place without scenes, this is just living every day.

This is how we do it and is no way how it should be for everyone.

http://albanypowerexchange.com/TPE/tpe_vs_d_s.htm

tessa
06-07-2008, 10:50 AM
The whole topic in chat made clear that there was a wide spectrum of definaitions, but at the same time there were a couple of very ahem "vigilant" people in the room who believed there was a very defined definition and anything either side of it should not be termed pe or tpe.

Yeah, I used to actually pay attention to those type opinions. Made for some difficult times, let me say. I mean, you think to yourself, "well, they seem to know what's what, so they must." Ain't true. Might be, but not necessarily.

Power exchange, tagged with term 'total' or not, is a big freakin' deal, I think. It invloves deeply-held emotions and feelings from all parties involved. Best to be taken mostly seriously, but individually so.

Conforming to a limited viewpoint can be so damaging. Good thing you aren't limiting yourself and are trying to figure things out for yourself. :)

cadence
06-07-2008, 02:04 PM
I like to hear everyone's opinion on subjects, but like tessa said those opinions may not always be the law.
At one point in time, I was listening to so many opinions that I started to question myself and became more confused with everything. Now I take opinions and look at them for what they are. Someone else's viewpoint.

I think that TPE is somewhat of a fantasy myself. Giving complete and total power over to someone else would be crazy to me, and then where does that power really end? How much control can one person exert over another?

I know if I gave TG total control, I would be pierced in everyplace possible, my head shaved and chained to a wall in a basement.

The power exchange will always have limits for both parties and those limits are always being revisited and negotiated.
I never liked the term power exchange, but I understand the significance within the D/s relationship.
I want to be controlled, he wants to control me, and we set our boundries from there. To me that's where the whole power thing comes into play, with both parties sharing the power. The control is never absolute, but always changing to better the ongoing relationship.