PDA

View Full Version : Religion, spirituality etc

Borgs_slave
06-07-2008, 12:31 AM
Does a persons religious beliefs, religion or spirituality have an impact on if you can find yourself compatible with that person? Why or why not?

TomOfSweden
06-07-2008, 01:14 AM
Yes. I think spirituality is very important. For me spirituality has to do with maturity and interests. I need a woman who has philosophical interests. I need meaning to my life, that I can share with someone. I'm so grateful my new slave is as clever and philosophically demanding as she is.

edit: the rest was just filler

gemmy
06-07-2008, 09:05 AM
i do believe this belongs in the Religion section ;)

tessa
06-07-2008, 10:59 AM
i do believe this belongs in the Religion section ;)

Ok, the wink is throwing me off. Not sure how serious you are about what you said. If you were being facetious about your response, then ignore the following.

Well, you could ignore the following regardless, but anyway...

Not all aspects of spirituality and beliefs have to do with religion, do they? So if this is placed in the Religion section, then it will change the whole tone of what might be contributed. My spirituality is indeed connected at times to my religious beliefs, but it is an entity all its own as well. Same with my beliefs.

Just a thought.

gemmy
06-07-2008, 11:15 AM
The wink was so the OP would know, I didn't mean my suggestion in a pissed off way but as just that, "a suggestive way"

Doesn't really matter, just thought she would get a better reaction since it asks nothing BDSM related.

Just so this isn't sidetracked too badly and gotten completely off topic now :( .......

I am not a religious person nor really consider myself very spiritual - I'm grounded in the reality of life and don't have the luxury of fantasizing about a 'higher' power will save me one day and all that. I suppose it would be an issue in a relationship if someone expected me to believe what they did in order to keep the relationship, that I just couldn't see happening.

So, yes, it would have an impact in that scenario.

sisterhoney61 {RW}
06-07-2008, 01:10 PM
My ex was an atheist. There are some atheists who live and let live. And then there are atheists like my ex who feel that any kind of religious/spiritual expression is wrong. I am a Pagan and have been one for over 25 years. He knew that I was a Pagan before he married me. I worked in a New Age/Pagan shop for awhile and he accused me of being brainwashed by my coworkers and customers. If I did any kind of worshipping, I had to do it in secret or he came down on me. Badly. Fortunately, Master is agnostic and doesn't care what I believe in. I can have my pentagram on the wall, I can read my Runes in front of Him, I can openly have my Witchcraft books out, etc. I have religious freedom again.

So yes, a person's religious/spiritual beliefs would make an impact on me. If he belongs to an organized religion that is fine with me, as long as he didn't try to convert me, make me go to church or synagogue or a mosque with him. Don't ram your religion down my throat and come down on mine and we'll get along just fine.

TomOfSweden
06-07-2008, 01:16 PM
I am not a religious person nor really consider myself very spiritual - I'm grounded in the reality of life and don't have the luxury of fantasizing about a 'higher' power will save me one day and all that. I suppose it would be an issue in a relationship if someone expected me to believe what they did in order to keep the relationship, that I just couldn't see happening.

Wouldn't you be weirded out by a life partner who believes their invisible friends are real, no matter how much he might make an effort not to push his faith onto you? That's at least what I think is the most freaky about Christians/Jews/Muslims.

On the spirituality issue. The fact that you have at all have spent time reasoning about issues of the sort I think makes you a spiritual person. The human machine is like any machine, more than the sum of its parts. If you'd pick a human apart, molecule by molecule and drop in in a pile, you'd have a pile of very fine, but inanimate dust. It would be indistinguishable from any other mammalian pile. The spirit is the stuff that doesn't end up in the pile. The bit that is greater than the sum of the molecular parts. You don't need to be religious to believe that a house gives more warmth and protection than a pile of bricks consisting of the same material.

People who aren't spiritual are people who don't care in the least. My sisters husband is a great example. He just couldn't care less. He was threatened by a taxi driver in Pakistan with a huge knife if he didn't produce his own religious theory, because nothing was worse than being atheist. But he wasn't even atheist. He was nothing. He was/is just a happy guy who only worries about sports.

Ps! I don't believe in souls either.
Pps! We do have a "religion and philosophy" forum. Maybe this will fit there?

denuseri
06-07-2008, 03:07 PM
well Borg's slave, my master is wiccan but from greek orthodox back ground,, i am bahai but from lutheran background, but both he and i studied buddisum and such,, my mom was jewish but converted to luthrean, i think spirituality is where you find it, i respect my owners beliefs as much as he respects my own, its really a matter of acceptence for us and our famielys

Torq
06-07-2008, 05:03 PM
Thread moved to proper location

T

Borgs_slave
06-07-2008, 06:23 PM
Not all aspects of spirituality and beliefs have to do with religion, do they? So if this is placed in the Religion section, then it will change the whole tone of what might be contributed. My spirituality is indeed connected at times to my religious beliefs, but it is an entity all its own as well. Same with my beliefs.

Just a thought.

Thank you for getting it and making a good point. Spirituality and religion are not the same as you said, hence why I have a title the says religion, religious beliefs and spirituality. Glad someone picked up on that.

Thank you to those that responded on the subject at hand.

tessa
06-07-2008, 08:54 PM
The wink was so the OP would know, I didn't mean my suggestion in a pissed off way but as just that, "a suggestive way"
Ah. The directed wink. Been there, done that. Gotcha.

just thought she would get a better reaction since it asks nothing BDSM related.
And I translated the question into thoughts that, in part, had much to do with BDSM relativity. I don't know if "better" is the proper word for the reaction this question will get now that it's been moved. Different reaction, for sure. 'Limited' fits, too.

Viewpoint is a fascinating thing! :)

Thank you for getting it and making a good point. Spirituality and religion are not the same as you said, hence why I have a title the says religion, religious beliefs and spirituality. Glad someone picked up on that.

Thank you for posting the question. It is something I've often given thought to, yet never really focused my ideas in any correlated way. Now you've given me the chance, so my thanks to you.

Speaking of all things positive, for me spirituality is vital. It's more than that even. Without it, as Tom said, we're pretty much nothingness. Having a depth in spirituality signifies some degree of passion within a soul. Passion is key. Being able to call upon that passion and live a life exhibiting it, in whatever form it manifests itself, has got to be one of the most powerful and beautiful of happenings. In a relationship, whether it be sexual or platonic, me being involved with someone who had no sense of their own spirituality would be an exercise in futility. And infinitely dull, I would think. And just wrong on so many levels.

Religion- if you mean the organized variety, then ick. Now there's another creature entirely. You can have it all. (I grew up in that scene and to me, organized religion equals certain people who think they're better than others, hence they get to make all the decisions and others better go along with it or "they can just get out of my church". Never has God's name been used so irreverently than when it's uttered as justification for one person's need for power.) Yes, it would impact, negatively so. Andd yet, I feel the need to go to church on Sunday. I'm still working on that idea.

But if you mean "religion" as a set of beliefs, well yes, that's very important to me as well and probably would impact my relationships in many ways. I'm thinking that has more to do with a need to find that type spiritual connection with another than it has to do with finding like-minded believers. But outside this forum, I don't really have a lot of contact on a daily basis with people who weren't brought up similarly, so that theory is mired in the hypothesis stage.

Again, good question! Thanks.

:wave: