PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Tomatoes?

Warbaby1943
07-10-2008, 11:49 AM
CHEAP TOMATOES?
This should make everyone think, be you Democrat, Republican or Independent

From a California school teacher - - -

"As you listen to the news about the student protests over illegal immigration, there are some things that you should be aware of:

I am in charge of the English-as-a-second-language department at a large southern California high school which is designated a Title 1 school, meaning that its students average lower socioeconomic and income levels.

Most of the schools you are hearing about, South Gate High, Bell Gardens , Huntington Park , etc., where these students are protesting, are also Title 1 schools.

Title 1 schools are on the free breakfast and free lunch program. When I say free breakfast, I'm not talking a glass of milk and roll -- but a full breakfast and cereal bar with fruits and juices that would make a Marriott proud. The waste of this food is monumental, with trays and trays of it being dumped in the trash uneaten. ( OUR TAX DOLLARS AT WORK )

I estimate that well over 50% of these students are obese or at least moderately overweight. About 75% or more DO have cell phones. The school also provides day care centers for the unwed teenage pregnant girls (some as young as 13) so they can attend class without the inconvenience of having to arrange for babysitters or having family watch their kids. (OUR TAX DOLLARS AT WORK)

I was ordered to spend $700,000 on my department or risk losing
funding for the upcoming year even though there was little need for anything; my budget was already substantial. I ended up buying new computers for the computer learning center, half of which, one month later, have been carved with graffiti by the appreciative students who obviously feel humbled and grateful to have a free education in America . (OUR TAX DOLLARS AT WORK)

I have had to intervene several times for young and substitute teachers whose classes consist of many illegal immigrant students here in the country less then 3 months who raised so much hell with the female teachers, calling them "Putas" whores and throwing things that the teachers were in tears.

Free medical, free education, free food, day care etc., etc, etc. Is it any wonder they feel entitled to not only be in this country but to demand rights, privileges and entitlements ?

To those who want to point out how much these illegal immigrants contribute to our society because they LIKE their gardener and housekeeper and they like to pay less for tomatoes: spend some time in the real world of illegal immigration and see the TRUE costs.

Higher insurance, medical facilities closing, higher medical costs, more crime, lower standards of education in our schools, overcrowding, new diseases etc., etc, etc. For me, I'll pay more for tomatoes.

We need to wake up. The guest worker program will be a disaster because we won't have the guts to enforce it Does anyone in their right mind really think they will voluntarily leave and return?

It does, however, have everything to do with culture: A third-world culture that does not value education, that accepts children getting pregnant and dropping out of school by 15 and that refuses to assimilate , and an American culture that has become so weak and worried about " politically correctness" that we don't have the will to do anything about it.

If this makes your blood boil, as it did mine, forward this to everyone you know.

CHEAP LABOR? Isn't that what the whole immigration issue is about?

Business doesn't want to pay a decent wage.

Consumers don't want expensive produce.

Government will tell you Americans don't want the jobs.

But the bottom line is cheap labor. The phrase "cheap labor" is a myth , a farce, and a lie. There is no such thing as "cheap labor."

Take, for example, an illegal alien with a wife and five children. He takes a job for $5.00 or 6.00/hour. At that wage, with six dependents, he pays no income tax, yet at the end of the year, if he files an Income Tax Return, he gets an "earned income credit" of up to $3,200 free.

He qualifies for Section 8 housing and subsidized rent.

He qualifies for food stamps.

He qualifies for free (no deductible, no co-pay) health care.

His children get free breakfasts and lunches at school.

He requires bilingual teachers and books.

He qualifies for relief from high energy bills.

If they are or become, aged, blind or disabled, they qualify for SSI. Once qualified for SSI they can qualify for Medicare. All of this is at (our) taxpayer's expense .

He doesn't worry about car insurance, life insurance, or homeowners insurance.

Taxpayers provide Spanish language signs, bulletins and printed material.

He and his family receive the equivalent of $20.00 to $30.00/hour in benefits.

Working Americans
are lucky to have $5.00 or $6.00/hour left after paying their bills and his.

The American taxpayers also pay for increased crime, graffiti and trash clean-up.

Cheap labor? YEAH RIGHT! Wake up people!

THESE ARE THE QUESTIONS WE SHOULD BE ADDRESSING TO THE PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATES FOR EITHER PARTY. 'AND WHEN THEY LIE TO US AND DON'T DO AS THEY SAY, WE SHOULD REPLACE THEM AT ONCE!'

THIS HAS GOT TO BE PASSED ALONG TO AS MANY AS POSSIBLE OR WE WILL ALL GO DOWN THE DRAIN BECAUSE A FEW DON'T CARE.

claire
07-13-2008, 02:11 AM
CHEAP TOMATOES?
Take, for example, an illegal alien with a wife and five children. He takes a job for $5.00 or 6.00/hour. At that wage, with six dependents, he pays no income tax, yet at the end of the year, if he files an Income Tax Return, he gets an "earned income credit" of up to $3,200 free.

He qualifies for Section 8 housing and subsidized rent.

He qualifies for food stamps.

He qualifies for free (no deductible, no co-pay) health care.

His children get free breakfasts and lunches at school.

He requires bilingual teachers and books.

He qualifies for relief from high energy bills.

If they are or become, aged, blind or disabled, they qualify for SSI. Once qualified for SSI they can qualify for Medicare. All of this is at (our) taxpayer's expense .

I am in doubt about the truth of this entire article!

I worked for Social Services granting, welfare, food stamps and medicaid. I know for a fact that illegal aliens are not eligible for any of those services. Neither are they eligible for SSI nor medicare. To receive any of those services you must have a valid Social Security Number. Yes, many illegal aliens have counterfeit numbers, however the verification process catches those as the names will not match. If they are using the false name too, then the check comes from the required birth certificate.

However, yes they do pay taxes. Do they get tax returns and the EIC? I don't know. I don't know if the IRS performs the same SSN verification that Social Services, does, but I find it difficult to imagine that they don't.

I don't know about Section 8 housing, and free school breakfast and lunch programs. I imagine they require those same checks and verifications for eligibility.

So, the only two I think are true are the bilingual education and the low income relief from high energy bills.

I think it is important to look at hidden costs of things, but lets use real facts, not scare tactics. I had a client who was an illegal alien who had been working supporting his family. He got an eye infection and was going blind because he had no access to medical care. So he lost his job. Then he came in to apply for aid for those of his children who were USA citizens. If we had payed for his medical care, he would still have been working, supporting his children and paying taxes.

And at least he was in the home helping to raise his children unlike the majority of USA citizens on aid, who were single parents, with the father no where in sight. Yes their wages get garnished for child support, but some of them move as soon as that happens, then family support has to track them down again. Many, if not most of the others are in jail or not working.

So, I have a very hard time believing that illegal aliens are a drain on our economy.

Warbaby1943
07-13-2008, 05:54 AM
I am in doubt about the truth of this entire article!

I worked for Social Services granting, welfare, food stamps and medicaid. I know for a fact that illegal aliens are not eligible for any of those services. Neither are they eligible for SSI nor medicare. To receive any of those services you must have a valid Social Security Number. Yes, many illegal aliens have counterfeit numbers, however the verification process catches those as the names will not match. If they are using the false name too, then the check comes from the required birth certificate.

However, yes they do pay taxes. Do they get tax returns and the EIC? I don't know. I don't know if the IRS performs the same SSN verification that Social Services, does, but I find it difficult to imagine that they don't.

I don't know about Section 8 housing, and free school breakfast and lunch programs. I imagine they require those same checks and verifications for eligibility.

So, the only two I think are true are the bilingual education and the low income relief from high energy bills.

I think it is important to look at hidden costs of things, but lets use real facts, not scare tactics. I had a client who was an illegal alien who had been working supporting his family. He got an eye infection and was going blind because he had no access to medical care. So he lost his job. Then he came in to apply for aid for those of his children who were USA citizens. If we had payed for his medical care, he would still have been working, supporting his children and paying taxes.

And at least he was in the home helping to raise his children unlike the majority of USA citizens on aid, who were single parents, with the father no where in sight. Yes their wages get garnished for child support, but some of them move as soon as that happens, then family support has to track them down again. Many, if not most of the others are in jail or not working.

So, I have a very hard time believing that illegal aliens are a drain on our economy.You are entitled to your opinion. I tend to believe most of the original article.

mkemse
07-13-2008, 06:25 AM
I am disbaled, i have lived on SSDI since 2000 when for physical reasons amonth other I was no longer able to work
I do recieve SSDI paymeny month, but keep in mind I also worked full tiem and paid into the system since i was able to legaly work and have tax deductions taken out of my check
I am not in my mid 50's anmd what I have found is amazing

I have livedi n Section 8 housing for 6 years, but do to various reasond I ha to wait almost 7 years to get my voucher at the time i registrted i was told there was a 10 years waiting ist as of of 2006 ALL section 8 in my home state were stoped, no more names on a waiting list accepted, when they did statt back up issue voucher they had a 10 year wating list but only 45 vouchers you do the math
I had to prve i was low income my award letter from Social Security and an ORIGINAL COPY not a copy of it, a valid SS card ect
Do to my income i missed my states upper level for a LInk Card (Food Stamps( we switched to a plastic type card 5 years ago to keep people from selling their food stamps for various things i do not qualify for food stampsas my income is $15.00 a month over the state allowence where i live
I was just notified i also this year do NOT qualift for Low Incme Energy Asisstance, my month incoe is $25.00 over the state max for a single person

ALL my expensies come out of my month diability check, medication, gas, good, clothing ect ect it is incredably difficult in 2008 to make ends meet, i have found myself doing all my errands in 1 day, ifi go foodshoppingand forget something i have to wat til the following week as thecost of gas dos not justify my driving to the store to pick up 1 or 2 items
I used to pay with my Medicare D $1 for genenric and $3 for brand name, nw I have t Pay $8 for brandand $5 for generic altho ti may not seem like alot, if you are on maintence medication as i an, that $2-3 dollar per perscrition difference per month over $12 months is HUGE on a fixed buget
my cost of living increase last year from Social Security was 1.5% or in real month about $10-15 a month, it is no where near the inflation rate
I have learned to live onwhat I have if for no othereason I have no choice, ican't spend more the the governement send me monthly all my food is gneneric in brand to save a fw bucks ecept a fee speicifc item which will only buy brand name r not but at all
whe my car hets to 1/4 tak used i have to keep toppinmg it off to make surei always have a full tank at $4.25 a gallon i do this every other week
the nly thing that has made it easier for me is my intenist, my personal physician has dealt with me for 40 years (his father then him) he accepts meicare assignment but has told me anything he deos notget from edicare he writes off. Trust me he is the exception not therule on office vists and i consider myself extrodinary lucky to have him as my doctor
I ca not an willnot speak forthe allien issue be they illegal or not but i do know in most cases those i know do all work but they get paid cash only, they have :normal jobs) painters, landscaping ect i only know 1 that does lansscaping and he stays here inthewinter to plows driv ways inthe winter to get hruogh, i also know of 1 that does resurfacing of parking lots and rive ways in the sumerand plows snow in the winter

My point, is living on my income is very hard, getting no state assistancesu to my income makesi tharder, my state offered me a $10 a month in foodstamps, but i plassed realzingthat itwould buy me next to nothing as i had 3 months of paper work to fll out but still no promisei wuld get the card despite what they told me with my low income energy assistance gran gone i loose $350 a year in subsidizes to pay for my electricity, i swtic to all floursent light bulbs to save wherei could

6-12 months ago, 4 senator from Congres decide to see what it was like to live on foodstamps for 30 days 2 repbulicans 2 democrats 1 senator said he acutatwent into a foodstore, bought 1 loaf of bread, peatnutdbutter and jely then counted out how many slices of bread where in the loaf so he would know how many snadwhiches he could make, after 30 days all he said was "I truly now have NO idea how those who receive foods stamps can live for 30 days on what they recieive, i certainly can't"
Keep in mind these senator andreps makewell over $100 a year, the foodstamp experiment they tried was a touch of rea lreality forthem they sw for themselves 1st hand what you can buy in 2008 on $75-$100 a month
I am not complainig, just wanted to give some real insight from a person who lives on a fixed income, no foodstamps ect what it is like in 2008 to try and make ends meet
BTW in my state if you apply for Section 8 you MUST prove legal residency r you get no voucher, no an's if or but's on this issue
just wanted to through in my 2 cents worth ehre is it helps anyone, alsai hear that my cost of living increase enct year for 2009 MAY be droppedfrom 1.5% to 1.25 % nothing i can do excep tearn to live on it

Warbaby1943
08-05-2008, 04:48 AM
http://opinion.latimes.com/opinionla/2007/04/may_day_mythbus.html