PDA

View Full Version : suspention or movement restriction ideas

new master
05-23-2004, 12:47 AM
help i have a small apartment i share with my wife/sub and children. my prob is i need a way to suspend my subs hands above her head while giving us enough room to maneuver (i.e. door and wall mounted gear is usually insufficient) we have yet to find the ceiling beams for any ceiling mounted equipment and worse still have a need for discretion ( i.e no bulky crosses or other self standing equipment) if any of you wise souls can solve my dilemma it would be greatly appreciated. :confused:

fetish101
05-23-2004, 01:07 AM
you could probably build some sort of frame out of 2x4's that would hide nicely in your closet...do you have any experience with woodworking or carpentry of any kind?

new master
05-23-2004, 01:24 AM
very little plus i do not hav proper tools :confused:

Pandora's Box
05-23-2004, 01:46 AM
Have you tried using a studfinder to find the main ceiling beams?

fetish101
05-23-2004, 02:28 AM
very little plus i do not hav proper tools :confused:

well..you design the size...take it to your local lumber yard and they cut the wood to size. After that you need 1-1 1/2 inch screws and a drill to put it together.

ValKyrie
05-23-2004, 05:30 AM
Send the kids' to gramma's and then, investigate the apartment and the possibilities. ;)

You really should find those beams. Your options will improve greatly if you find one solid beam.

Then, as we have done, there are two hook eyes that have been screwed into the beams. They are industrial strength, but we have told the kids they are plant hangers.

From there, you can fashion a spreader bar with hook eyes near each end and one in the middle for suspending the bar from the cieling beam. Using a sturdy wooden dowel from the hardware store, or strong 2x4 or 4x4, would be divine.

Those are just my thoughts. Good luck to you.

Val

Mobius
05-23-2004, 06:58 AM
You can go to your local bike shop and get 2 bike hooks to hold a bike up with. They are large hooks that will screw into the beam and when the kids are away you take down the bike and hook up your wife.

Another Idea is a ceiling Fan. When the kids are away at grandmas. Turn off the power. And take a close look at the fan they are usualy sturdy and are made to support the waight of the guy instaling it. You might be able to suspend your wife from the fan. and if she has been realy naughty you can turn it on and she can spin while you whip her. :cool:

Barton
05-23-2004, 07:05 AM
Yes, the easiest thing to do is find the beams. You can purchase a "stud finder" at any hardware store. Once you find the beam(s), use a drill to drill a small hole into the beam. Thread the hooks into the holes, make sure you then test to see that the hooks are secure. An inexpensive drill can be purchased at the hardware store as well as the drill bit you will need to drill the holes.
You can always tell the sales clerk that you are hanging a large plant and ask for help in locating the items to do so.

I never thought of it but, I would imagine that quite a few of us have "hanging plants" in our bedrooms. :D

Barton.

allalone46
05-23-2004, 08:17 AM
I just started to read this little web, and just about had a hart attack. :eek: The three things about this life style, are safe, sane, and consentual, well some of you have forgotten the first two. Before you ever think about attaching anything to a wall, or cieling don't. The structure of you home beit an apartment ot house can't handle somthing atached to one or two points and be able to suport the weight of a person 97lbs or more. If you do all you are doing is slowly bringing down the house, and you won't know it till it comes down on your head. Know there is a way of doing it but not from what I have seen in this thred, and to do it would be vary open to anyone that sees it. Know you can fix something up that can do it but you have to do to you celing, and or wall what is done to the floor so suport the wate of you , and everything in your house, and hooking to one, two, or even three beams, or rafters is not going to do it, remember thay already are suporting the building in the first place. So before you bring down your homes please ask someone how to strinkthen your wals, and or ceilings first.

Barton
05-27-2004, 09:32 PM
Actually, standard floor joists in a residential and especially in a commercial structure have an extremely large support potential. When they are designed the weight of the type of floor is figured in and a large allowance for furniture and people load is also calculated. After the engineers come up with an average weight they design a joist that is able to withstand that load plus 20% to 30% more in total weight. The same is true with a roof truss.
You are not likely to pull your house down on top of you. If you install the hooks properly there should be no problen.

Barton.

fetish101
05-27-2004, 10:31 PM
lol..I weigh 180 lbs and I do chinups every day on the support beam in our basement. Haven't been killed yet...

new master
05-29-2004, 05:02 AM
thanks to all of you that answered my humble query all info provided will be helpful in my journey as New Master and my wife/subs pleasure. any other ideas would still be greatly appreciated of course

allalone46
05-29-2004, 08:44 AM
Actually, standard floor joists in a residential and especially in a commercial structure have an extremely large support potential. When they are designed the weight of the type of floor is figured in and a large allowance for furniture and people load is also calculated. After the engineers come up with an average weight they design a joist that is able to withstand that load plus 20% to 30% more in total weight. The same is true with a roof truss.
You are not likely to pull your house down on top of you. If you install the hooks properly there should be no problen.

Barton. It is not just the proper instalatine of he hooks, but the hooks that you install. The use of a U bolt or a I hook, won't do if you want to suport more than 20lbs and I don't believe any sub or slave is les than 20lbs becouse it also has to suport the weight of the equipment as well. And if you don't want it to come down on your head you have to have several mounts, and all have to be able to support the hole weight and that does meen every suport has to beable to suport every lb of the lode not just part of the weight, Adn for that you cna't juxt slap or nale , or scrue something though the dry wall but fasen it to the beam, joise, or stud. Having a suport stucture is only on of the things you need . The Stockroom in Cal, has the proper hard ware needed in on there web cadalog, and you can find the same things in any home store, as well. but you can't just fassen a single I bolt into the cealing, or wal and thats it. Not safe.

Barton
05-29-2004, 04:35 PM
Actually A steel threaded 3/8 J hook can support up to 80 lbs. In tandem with others supporting the load they can hold much more. A galvanized 3/8 threaded J hook will hold less, they are rated at 40 lbs. U bolts are not adequate for this type of application.
Barton.

allalone46
05-30-2004, 04:59 AM
Actually A steel threaded 3/8 J hook can support up to 80 lbs. In tandem with others supporting the load they can hold much more. A galvanized 3/8 threaded J hook will hold less, they are rated at 40 lbs. U bolts are not adequate for this type of application.
Barton. Like I stated in the title, you don't use U bolts, You use mounting brackets, and you your self stated the problem with J hooks, only 80lbs, ring bolts, and just about anything that is a sinle monting point has the same problem. And if you do get the rith mounting hardware monting them though the driwall reduses the amont of weight you can put on them . Also hanging the brackets wrong will do the same. One more thing it doesn't mater how sturdy the studs, rafters, and joits are if you just atach it to a small point it won't stay, and it will do a lot of damage.

Kalluss
05-30-2004, 03:53 PM
At the local sports store in the gym equipment area is a device for this too.

It's basically a frame that's constructed to do chin-ups on. Free standing... and adjustable. Best of all, it can be put up and taken down in a few minutes. I'm about 6 ft, and bar was high enough that I had to stretch to wrap my fingers around.

Another device that's foldable and portable is something used in garages called an engine hoist. I'm not sure how high you can raise the arm with the jack, but know from experience you can use one to hoist a fairly large sub with that's laying prone.

Barton
06-01-2004, 02:20 PM
device that's foldable and portable is something used in garages called an engine hoist. I'm not sure how high you can raise the arm with the jack, but know from experience you can use one to hoist a fairly large sub with that's laying prone.

This sounds like it has the makings of an excellent post. :D Kalluss, do tell.
Barton.

new master
06-06-2004, 03:31 PM
ok barton and allalone46 please tall me if this would work. if i put an eye hook in each corner of my ceiling (or close to ) and 1 in the center then put strong chains hanging from the eye hooks ( adaptable for suspention or simple restraint) with proper clasps to attach to eye hooks and cuffs

Barton
06-06-2004, 08:21 PM
Make sure that you get the eye hook into a floor joist or a roof truss. When you purchase them make sure that you tell the clerk how much weight they need to support. Remember steel not galvanized. And you do not need to make the chains too heavy duty. Check the load capacity of the chain and purchase the right one. Get the correct size drill bit, and drill the hole straight.

Then make sure you test the whole setup before you put it into use.

Barton.

fetish101
06-06-2004, 10:00 PM
lol..for f#$%s sake! you're not going to bring the house down by suspending a woman from the joist. If you do, then you must live in Ethiopia where there are no codes to follow when building homes. Just get a few hooks into the joist and you're set. Safe, sane and hopefully consensual.

As far as the engine hoist goes....lol if you weigh more than even my 4 cylinder honda prelude engine does....you should be dead of a heart attack long ago. Yes, using an engine hoist gives more than adequate lifting power.

have fun, sure wish I could do something like it...

allalone46
06-10-2004, 09:34 PM
ok barton and allalone46 please tall me if this would work. if i put an eye hook in each corner of my ceiling (or close to ) and 1 in the center then put strong chains hanging from the eye hooks ( adaptable for suspention or simple restraint) with proper clasps to attach to eye hooks and cuffs
Ok I hooks, and bolds won't work, thay arn't strong enough. and will only stieghten out. Use a hanging braket, ot suspention bracket. and it has to be attached to the joise.

Dslave
06-25-2004, 06:10 PM
These are some excellent ideas, I have to say.

MrJerseyGuy
06-25-2004, 07:17 PM
If you have the money for it...I've seen some devices on different web site that collapse for easy storage. Kind of like your own little jungle gym that you can fold up and put away when you're done using it. I'm not sure of the quality...but they are built specifically for this purpose asnd look like a lot of fun.