PDA

View Full Version : Home-made toys

shadowlev
07-22-2008, 10:47 PM
First off, I'm pretty new to this site and have only recently recognized my lust for domination, meaning I have a lot of questions.

I was wondering if anyone has tried to make their own toys. Being a hunter, I was planning to attempt a flogger the next time I bring home a hide as a sentimental thing. Just curious.

Also, being as inexperianced as I am, I wanted to know if there was anything that I could practice with alone that wouldn't attract too much attention and could help me better my control and coordination. I wouldn't be using it on anyone, but I do need the practice if I plan to progress. Thank you.

Chuckdom19
07-22-2008, 11:28 PM
One of the quickest (and most useful) toys you can make yourself is a spreader-bar. Ten minutes at Home Depot, five minutes with a drill.

Simple dowel wood; get something heavy, maybe 3/4". Two ringbolts through holes you drill about an inch in from the end, to prevent cracking. Nuts put onto the bolts with ThreadLok or the like, so they don't unscrew. Make several in different lengths, as they are doggone handy.

Practice items for whips and such can be a length of garden hose, a length of heavy power cord (such as would be for an iron or vacuum), or even a length of wash-line or curtain pull-cord. Those will help you develop accuracy while working somewhere inconspicuous, like in your basement or such.

The actual making of whips can be VERY fussy work; there are a lot of pages on the web referring to this, such as http://genvieve.net/sca/whipcording-howto.html
http://www.juggling.org/~conway/video/snake.html
http://youtube.com/watch?v=5sZq0LmVdAc
http://www.instructables.com/id/CR-Videos-How-To-Make-A-Bull-Whip/
http://www.davidmorgan.com/whipfaqs.html

All these are great references I have used, especially the second above.
CAUTION: THESE ARE ****NOT**** THE TOYS YOU WILL FIND IN NEIGHBORHOOD ADULT SEX SHOPS. These whips are serious business, not for the inexperienced. WHIPS CAN KILL OR MAIM. The old thing about putting your eye out Mom used to say? Right. Or worse, your partner's.

Play safe and sane!

fetishdj
07-23-2008, 12:46 AM
There is a fine old tradition of making toys as a lot of us, when we start out, don't necessarily have the money to buy new toys. There are a lot of things you can improvise with. Things like clothes pegs as nipple/CBT devices, for example.

I have found that wandering around a shop (a cheap pound shop, a hardware shop, even a stationary shop) can give you many interesting objects that will give you ideas for improvised devices.

For example, I recently found a length of rope washing line (soft rope, about 1/4 inch thick) in a pound shop. Its not as good as real bondage rope (which is usually thicker, made of silk and can be in different colours) but it does and was cheap enough to not worry too much about cutting it up to make smaller lengths.

I think the trick is to wander around with your 'BDSM brain' switched on, loooking at things you see in a 'what could I do with that to torture a sub with?' way.

Logic1
07-23-2008, 03:40 AM
Try the flogger out on yourself. That is what I do anyways on my thigh normally.
If I feel I cant use some toy on myself then I sure cant do it on my girl.

Hardware shops are the greatest lol but since you are a hunter then I am sure you know how to prepare hides and all that to make your own flogger. I sure would think that it would be very cool to have made something like that myself but I am no hunter and I got no clue how to prepare leather.
I am sure everything needed to know is availiable with a Google search though ;)

fetishdj
07-23-2008, 04:45 AM
Logic: Well, if you go to a decent leather supplier you can get pretreated hides and thonging in a range of colours and thicknesses without needing to do any of the messy skinning and prepping yourself. Working the leather itself, once it is treated, is actually quite easy. You just need a sharp knife, some other tools (an awl, a leather hole punch, leatherworking needle etc) and a lot of patience. You can get proper leather working tools, usually from the same shop you get the hides from, along with any rivets or glue that will stick leather.

Once you have the right tools, most of the actual work is easy.

WyldWyl
07-23-2008, 06:27 AM
Yeah, most of my early practice came from working on myself. Heh, I say early practice like I'm some kind of veteran- I'm still very much a beginner, of course. But really, work on yourself to help gauge power and force and what not, then perhaps work on just striking the bed to work on control and accuracy.

SirTimothyk
07-23-2008, 07:58 AM
I have used items at the 99 cent store. a bbq brush, wooden spoon, clothespins, clotheslines, etc. Big 5 or another sporting good store is a good place to buy paddles. sporting paddles are usually 2 for $6.

Tack store for riding crops usually are $5 and up. you can also buy a whip there, but i agree with the advice above. get training before you use a whip.

And if all else fails, visit the local thrift store.
Tim

Master-Redwing
07-30-2008, 06:50 PM
I try to make almost every toy I use, gags, canes, floggers, bondage gear, etc. It's all relatively simple. But I do agree, try EVERYTHING out on yourself first. You don't want your pretty new toy to break in the first swing, it could be accidentally harmful (as opposed to the intentional harm) and it'll usually ruin the mood if you aren't ready for it. If you're big into DIY books, I like the better built bondage book

MasochisticAngel
09-18-2008, 01:27 PM
Making homemade things can be easy if your expierienced.
my master made a whip from a heavy metal chain and he welded/attached barbs and small spikes to it.

subserviant
09-18-2008, 01:35 PM
for a flogger that is really seriouse get an old or new v belt cut it into about 12 to 16 inch lenghs get a short piece of wood maybe a foot long clamp 3 pieces of the belt to the wood and u have a flogger ,,the dom that made it used round wood fr the handle but go easy it hurts like hell

Ozme52
09-18-2008, 06:46 PM
v belt, you mean an automotive 'fan belt'? That's something that would cause serious damage...

For an easy flogger, you can get a pair of motorcycle leather lever covers or handlebar covers. You know... tassels. The handles can be wrapped around and tied onto a dowel. The 'falls' are exactly like you would make for a flogger and it's all ready to go, relatively inexpensive at $15 for lever covers to about $35 for handlebar covers, and you get two each, so can even practive double-handing.

As for learning rhythms, a pillow gives the right recoil... and your leg will tell you what's too hard.

The other ideas, especially what is referred to as "pervertables" (meaning everyday items you can suborn for bdsm use) are excellent, as are items commonly found in tack stores and ranch&supply stores.