PDA

View Full Version : Vice President Running Mates

mkemse
07-27-2008, 05:41 PM
No Poll on this one,

For John McCain, who would you like to see as His Runnnig Mate?
For Barack Obama who would you like to see as His Running Mate?

This question is NOT supporting or endrsing 1 candidate over another, but simply getting a feel as to whom everyone would like to see as a possible Vice President for Each Candidate

Thanks

anonymouse
07-27-2008, 06:03 PM
I think Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton would make a formidable duo on the world stage - moreso even than if Clinton won preselection and she chose Obama as her VP.

As for the Republicans, I really can't think of anybody for John McCain's VP.

Interesting times...

_ID_
07-30-2008, 05:03 PM
For Obama, pretty much anyone he chooses.

For McCain, Jackie Gleason.

Stealth694
08-01-2008, 04:47 PM
I doubt Obama will choose Hilary as a VP ( she is to power hungry, and she offered Obama the VP when she was behind him in the polls.)
but whoever Obama does choose he should do it fast, and he should also start chosing cabinet appointments ect NOW.

McCain will choose someone who will agree with him all the time. Probably a close personal friend and staunch Party follower.

Whoever wins they had better be ready to hit the ground at a dead run!!!
Bush is leaving a hell of a mess and the congress isn't much better.
so whoever wins had better have his ducks in a row, because he will not recieve the
traditional 100 days grace before the Media attacks. He will be lucky to get 100 hrs.

denuseri
08-01-2008, 10:19 PM
i would like to see mccain pic liberman, if he did, i just might vote for him

i doubt obama seriously thinks hillary should be his vp, that would be inviteing her power hungry sneeky cheeked bottom to rub him out,,, not the first time its been mentioned, and as silly as it sounds even the media has suggested it (had a tv show set up in a simular plot line with genna davis once) foreshadowing perhaps?

i belive obama should pick someone more experienced than he is at the whole thing to act as more than just the traditional democratic vp, sort of an advisor/co -ruler, but one he can trust who will counterbalance some of his flipancies, of course it is doubtful he will do so as it might "one up himself" and make aire apparent his own inadequacies

i believe i shall have to sit on the fence until obama does pick a running mate, and i agree with Stealth the sooner the better

ONS
08-02-2008, 12:02 AM
I've been a fan of the Governor from Kansas, Kathleen Sebelius, to be Obama's running mate for a long while, now. I think she has cross-partisan appeal as well inroads among female voters that may feel alienated by Senator Clinton losing in the primary, and her response the Bush's last State of the Union Address was both eloquent and fairly powerful. As a governor, she has executive experience, although she doesn't have the foreign policy expertise that many people are looking for in Obama's running mate. *shrug*

I have very little idea who McCain is even considering.

js207
08-02-2008, 01:41 AM
McCain will choose someone who will agree with him all the time. Probably a close personal friend and staunch Party follower.

so whoever wins had better have his ducks in a row, because he will not recieve the traditional 100 days grace before the Media attacks. He will be lucky to get 100 hrs.

He'd have a very hard job finding anyone who is both a "staunch Party follower" and "will agree with him all the time", given his love of crossing party lines!

I'd say Congress is actually worse, between its even lower approval ratings and Pelosi's bizarre crusade in support of imported oil. As for docile media, Obama can safely count on getting at least a hundred weeks more media support, McCain would have been lucky to get zero, since that would mean them attacking months in the future rather than right now. He's already had an NY Times smear campaign against him!

companioncube#3
08-02-2008, 06:17 AM
I hope McCain chooses Mitt Romney. The guy is so phony even the republicans could see straight through him.

As for Barack - I'd like to see him with Edwards for the only reason that Elizabeth Edwards comes along with the deal. That woman is a class act.

On a more serious note, the best choice for him would probably be someone with some foreign policy creds, like Wes Clark.

Kuskovian
08-02-2008, 06:36 AM
Clark would be great for Obama.

I would love to see Lieberman on the McCain ticket vs a Clark/Obama match up.

Unfortunately as much as McCain does like to reach accross the aisle (unlike his opponent) he may alienate his base too much with Lieberman.

I doubt Obama will pick Clark, He has too much negative influence and too strong a personality which would detract from BHO's image.

Eaither way it will be one hell of an election.

companioncube#3
08-02-2008, 06:43 AM
I'd love to see Lieberman out of the democratic caucus altogether. McCain can have him.

And I wouldn't be so sure about McCain's reaching across party lines. I mean, maybe 6 or 8 years ago. But these days, the guy has become a tool of the right, IMHO.

On that note, yesterday Obama said that he'd be willing to come to a compromise with republicans regarding offshore drilling- that he'd allow it if it were part of a comprehensive plan that included investment in alternative forms of energy. Conservatives will call it a flip-flop, and I'd have to concede that it is. But the end result is that it's a compromise and it's more of an effort than we saw from either party in congress this week.

_ID_
08-06-2008, 07:55 AM
Obama won't pick Clark, too outspoken, and won't pick Clinton, that was a dirty fight till she gave up. I'm certain he won't pick Edwards, due to the scandal he's having.

McCain's best option would be someone nobody ever thought of. Roy Rogers dead horse would be a good option.

Shwenn
08-06-2008, 08:29 AM
Kucinich. Or Gravel.

I'd have given my right arm to see a Kucinich/Gravel ticket. I just can't trust a politician who isn't nutty in the noggin.

mkemse
08-06-2008, 01:56 PM
Obama may pick Evan Bayh from Indiana

McCain may decide to go with a Christian Conservative to make those those who do not feel he is to the "Right" enough or Conservative happy

companioncube#3
08-06-2008, 06:36 PM
mkemse said:

Obama may pick Evan Bayh from Indiana

McCain may decide to go with a Christian Conservative to make those those who do not feel he is to the "Right" enough or Conservative happy

I disagree. I think McCain is more likely to distance himself from the far right. The general election is, after all, usually a 'race to the center.' Independents, who will decide this election, don't care much about the Evangelical social agenda. They care about the economy. McCain needs to find himself an economy man.

mkemse
08-06-2008, 07:03 PM
mkemse said:

I disagree. I think McCain is more likely to distance himself from the far right. The general election is, after all, usually a 'race to the center.' Independents, who will decide this election, don't care much about the Evangelical social agenda. They care about the economy. McCain needs to find himself an economy man.

But if he distances himself from the Far Right, don't you think that could cost him the election? (not sure he will beat Obama no matter who he chooses,but that is just my opinion)

companioncube#3
08-06-2008, 10:49 PM
He also can't with without independents. Where is the right going to go, if not to McCain? It's the same reason Obama voted for the FISA compromise and has now considered offshore drilling. It's all about winning the center.

MitchC
08-07-2008, 05:05 AM
For Obama, I would go with either Joe Biden, or Hillary Clinton. Biden is an experienced, respected member of Congress, who can strengthen the ticket. As for Hillary, Obama might consider her, because, it's conceivable that some of his support might be eroded, by Hillary supporters who stay home, and dont vote, if he doesnt pick her.

I think that Mccain might well go with Romney, to attempt to secure the right leaning Christian voters.

Mitch

hopperboo
08-07-2008, 05:10 AM

I disagree with the McCain comment. McCain is not a staunch party follower, he has and will again step out of the party limits if he thinks something is better off on the democratic side.

As for the mess...wow, I couldn't agree more. A lot of clean up there.

DungeonMaster6
08-09-2008, 03:37 PM
At this point I don't know who will be the Veep for either candidate, but I can tell you one thing, it won't be John Edwards for the Dems, since he just admited after denying it for so long, that he indeed had an affair.

I honestly don't see Hillary. She doesn't want to be anybody's VP. She wanted the top spot, although I think the combination of Obama/ Clinton would be a strong ticket indeed. Realistically it will probably be Bayh, Joe Biden or Kaine.

As for McCain, I don't think he gets along with Romney very well. I think Giulliani did a great job as Mayor of New York, and could pull a lot of votes from the center. He might not be a bad choice.

It'll be interesting.

js207
08-09-2008, 04:06 PM
I'd agree with all of that —*I don't think the affair should rule Edwards out, but apparently does. (I'd ruled him out for other reasons anyway.) As you say, Hillary just doesn't fit as a VP, and Romney doesn't seem to fit as McCain's either.

McCain-Giuliani sounds plausible, helping with the economic credentials I think, but not shoring up support on the right; on the other hand, perhaps against Obama, that's less of an issue — and the extra votes it should pull from moderates could more than make up for that. Obama isn't half the centrist McCain is, and I can't imagine his running mate making up that deficit either.

Kevin100
08-10-2008, 12:41 PM
I agree on the foreign policy credentials. Joe Biden perhaps.

Kevin

Kuskovian
08-12-2008, 04:28 PM
Edwards is most certianly out the door, as is Giuliani, both for very different reasons.

MitchC
08-18-2008, 03:45 AM
This morning it dawned on me who might well be a good choice for Mccain. I would say former PA Gov Tom Ridge.

While Ridge does break with Mccain on abortion rights, he is a respectable middle of the road candidate. Additionally, with the election seemingly headed for a very close outcome, Ridge might be able to help secure Pennsylvania's 21 swing state votes for Mccain, which would be a huge blow to Obama.

Decision day for the VP choices is around the corner. I'm very eager to see who both candidates choose.

Mitch

mkemse
08-18-2008, 11:46 AM
This morning it dawned on me who might well be a good choice for Mccain. I would say former PA Gov Tom Ridge.

While Ridge does break with Mccain on abortion rights, he is a respectable middle of the road candidate. Additionally, with the election seemingly headed for a very close outcome, Ridge might be able to help secure Pennsylvania's 21 swing state votes for Mccain, which would be a huge blow to Obama.

Decision day for the VP choices is around the corner. I'm very eager to see who both candidates choose.

Mitch

Ridge may end up as he best choice, for the reasons you pointed out

MitchC
08-19-2008, 01:33 PM
I heard this morning on NYTimes.com that Obama has made up his mind as to who his VP is. They said he is going to announce it in an e-mail to his supporters first. They also said that Mccain is going to announce his running mate the day before the GOP convention.

I personally think that Obama will be making a mistake if he chooses Bayh. Bayh's personality is very bland. Tim Kane is not well known, but could help Obama secure the state of Virginia.

I'm thinking that Obama is probably going to go with Biden, but they also said he could surprise and pick Hillary.

I heard that Obama is going to announce his running mate perhaps as early as Wednesday. It will be very interesting to see who he chooses, after all the waiting and speculating.

Mitch

mkemse
08-19-2008, 01:55 PM
I will take a guess and say Obama wil Pick either Biden or Hillary or real suprise everyone and choose Colin Powel who has indorsed him asnd will be at the Democratic Convention

McCai, risky move but Tom Rdge, gives the ticket a balance McCain is Pro life for conservatives Ridge is Pro Choice for thos Liberals,

thisis just my thoughts

DungeonMaster6
08-22-2008, 09:45 PM
Now Obama says he will announce his vp choice on Saturday. I think it'll be Biden.
As for McCain's choice I really don't know.

denuseri
08-24-2008, 08:34 AM
its now official, Obama picked Biden

mkemse
08-24-2008, 09:18 AM
I'll take a guess and say McCain will choose Mitt

denuseri
08-24-2008, 03:40 PM
lol, i honestly hope he doesnt, i want it to be lieberman, sighs, like that will happen

mkemse
08-24-2008, 04:05 PM
The problem with Lieberman, is altho he is an "Independent" he is still a registered Democrat, as from what I have heard and somene feel free to correct me if i am wrong on this, but some States will not allow a Presidential Nominee and VP to be from 2 different Parties, for this reason alone, if this is correct, Lieberman couldn't be on it.

denuseri
08-24-2008, 05:01 PM
idk, i have we have had presidents before in different parties from thier vp's

mkemse
08-24-2008, 05:10 PM
ok, wasn't sure, thanks

denuseri
08-27-2008, 01:14 PM
http://www.peteyandpetunia.com/VoteHere/VoteHere.htm

Got this funny little diddy in some email check it out it sums up usa politics rather well