PDA

View Full Version : Women's Health/Body Talk

wingsofanangel
08-21-2008, 02:40 PM
I thought it would be nice to have a thread where the women could discuss women's type issues. Many women have gone through life changes that us younger ones will go through. Many have delt with difficult problems such as cancers, or lumps, bumps and scary stuffs.

So, if it's okay with everyone else, I think this would be a good so that we can discuss these things and ask questions and all try to be a little safer and take good care of ourselves.

I know that me and my mom didn't really have indepth discussions on this type of stuff ( even though we were open) so I have my own questions and I'm sure others will too. Don't be embarassed or scared or anything. This is IMPORTANT stuff!

Some questions I have:

How often do you do a self breast exam? Where do you do it? (Shower, lying down.) Does your mate/partner know how to do one on you?

Another question: I think I may have an allergy to cotton and women's time of the month products. Has anyone every tried those Diva or Mooncups rather than traditional items such as tampons, etc? What did you think of it? Did it work? Was it comfortable?

thrall
08-21-2008, 06:33 PM
I do a mini breast exam every time i shower. Full GYN exam every year, and mammogram every year.......

SirLs_leenie
08-21-2008, 06:45 PM
i also seem to have a sort of allergy to feminine products. Pads seem to be more of a problem for me causing a wonderful rash. i am fortunate enough to be able to use tampons and avoid pads. Tampons do present a bit of a problem for me if i am working (on weekends, i work at renaissance faires and wear a leather bodice and it gets hard to reach for proper placement). i have not tried those items you mentioned, but will keep an eye on this thread to see what others have to say about them. Good luck.....

Sir L's leenie

sisterhoney61 {RW}
08-21-2008, 07:06 PM
I do monthly self-exams while in the shower. And I also have a mammogram once a year. It ended up that I started going in October, which happens to be Breast Cancer Awareness Month. I'll be going through menopause in a few years, so I make sure that I read up on all the new research being done. I am looking into going all natural when I do go through menopause. I am not taking hormones. And of course, I have my yearly appointment with the GYN.

It's very important for us women to get our checkups because they are finding more and more younger women with cancer now. And they are also discovering that more women are getting cancer when it does not run in their families. We need to look out for our health. I'm diligent about it, because I have several chronic illnesses that I have to live with.

wingsofanangel
08-22-2008, 04:25 PM
I do my own breast exam everytime I shower and I taught my husband how to do it too, since he is familiart with my breasts, he would be able to tell if something felt a little off. I also get a breast exam and yearly gyno every jan/feb. Very very important.

As far as the feminine products go... I have heard wonderful things about them and even women who have no allergy to cotton and such love them because they are convient. Nothing to carry around and you can wear them longer than other products. PLUS you don't have to worry about TSS, which is a scary thing!

Sisterhoney: My mom is perimenopausal. They wanted to gut her and take everything when she had an enlarged uterus which caused heavy bleeding all the time. She researched homeopathic methods and started to do progesterone cream and rubs it into her belly at night and since then has had ZERO female problems and it even helps with her moods. Its nice because its all natural. My mom cannot take synthetic hormones. She took birth control ***** and throid ***** and they caused her to hemmorage... just a thought for you if you begin to experience difficult things with your menopause state...

thrall
08-22-2008, 04:33 PM
Just a side bar Wings

Always talk to and consult a physician about any and all health issues.....do not rely on "natural" methods........

Waiting to try.......something natural.......can be fatal.

sisterhoney61 {RW}
08-22-2008, 04:35 PM
Well, I am morally against hormones for menopause, so those are out for me. I refuse to use them. I'm going to either use herbs or go the way my mother did and just tough it out. Women have been going through menopause for a million years and it's time that it be treated the way it truly is: as a natural state of being and not as a disease. I'm on the pill and on thyroid replacement right now and I don't have any problems with them. I've never had a problem with any BCP that I've ever been on. My best friend can't take the pill so she's on an IUD and she also takes thyroid replacement. She's on the natural thryoid hormone, while I'm on the synthetic one.

wingsofanangel
08-22-2008, 05:05 PM
Just a side bar Wings

Always talk to and consult a physician about any and all health issues.....do not rely on "natural" methods........

Waiting to try.......something natural.......can be fatal.

Definatly agree with you. My mom tried the Dr. way for a long time and then consulted a homeopathic Dr. and then they all worked together.

But yes, what is right for one may not be right for another. And of course natural things can cause side effects and health problems too! Always use caution.

And Sisterhoney: You're a brave woman. I haven't been there or done that yet, but I'm not sure from what I've heard if I'll be able to tough it out when I get there. More power to you! xox!