PDA

View Full Version : Urinary Tract Infections- Common amongst Women

wingsofanangel
08-24-2008, 03:53 PM
Overview
A urinary tract infection, abbreviated as UTI, is an infection of the bladder. The bladder holds urine produced by the kidneys.

What is going on in the body?
The bladder and the urine it holds are normally free from bacteria and other organisms. A urinary tract infection occurs when organisms are introduced into the bladder. Bacteria from the skin or from the vagina may enter through the urethra. The urethra is the tube that carries urine from the bladder to the outside of the body.

Organisms can also enter the bladder on urinary catheters. Bacteria in the bladder are usually flushed out when the person urinates. If bacteria multiply faster than they can be removed, a UTI results. UTIs are more common in women than in men because women have a shorter urethra which allows easier access for bacteria. The entrance of bacteria is often precipitated by sexual intercourse.

-Taken from Diseases and Conditions Encyclopedia located at Discoveryhealth.com

lucy
10-01-2008, 09:16 AM
Overview
The entrance of bacteria is often precipitated by sexual intercourse.

Yep, kinda takes away lot of the fun doing it ;)

But i have another question: I was told to go commando whenever possible and like to wear skirts. Now in summer, that was a piece of cake. But with winter approaching it's going to get tough. Does anybody have advice on what to do in order to prevent UTI? (Obviously thermal underwear is out of the question ;) )
I've heard about all kinds of things, from eating 4 dried pears a day along with drinking three liters of water (which i do anyway) to swallowing antibiotics (which is completely out of the question for me.)

Or does the body get used to it?

yummysubmummy
10-01-2008, 02:27 PM
Drinking cranberry juice or taking cranberry supplements (i.e. in capsule form) is supposed to help prevent UTIs - there is a chemical in cranberries that stops the bacteria from sticking to the walls of the urinary tract. Also drink plenty of water (same reason - flush em out) and try to pee after sex.

shyslut
10-01-2008, 04:57 PM
You can also drink vinegar when needed for the dame reason. Raises the ph of the urine and keeps it from sticking and bacteria from multiplying.

lucy
10-02-2008, 12:17 AM
You can also drink vinegar when needed for the dame reason. Raises the ph of the urine and keeps it from sticking and bacteria from multiplying.
Thank you. i think i'll try out the cranberries first ;)

~kay~
10-03-2008, 05:16 PM
1 or 2 glasses of cranberry juice a day can be AWESOME at preventing and helping heal UTIs. If you don't like the taste, they have dried cranberries at bulk stores that come in lots of different flavours. ^.^

Flaming_Redhead
10-03-2008, 09:14 PM
I've had too many UTIs to count, and these are the rules I'm supposed to follow for prevention. I usually get 2-3 per year....usually because I've broken a rule. D'oh!

1. Avoid caffeine and carbonated beverages as these can irritate the bladder.

2. Avoid bubble baths since soap can irritate the urethra.

3. Avoid prolonged soaks in the bathtub because relaxation of the muscles allows soapy water into the urethra.

4. Drink plenty of fluids, but limit citrus juice. Cranberry juice cocktail is really not effective since it doesn't contain much cranberry juice. Look for a brand that contains a significant percentage of cranberry, such as Northland's.

5. Urinate before and after intercourse to clear out contaminants.

6. Avoid holding your urine for prolonged periods of time.

7. Wipe from front to back.

8. If you engage in anal intercourse, don't go from anus to vagina without cleaning up or changing condoms.

9. Wear cotton panties.

10. Practice good hygiene, i.e. bathe on a regular basis, change tampons and pads frequently, keep sex toys clean, etc.

Radiance
10-06-2008, 05:19 AM
Cranberry pills work the best ,one pill equals a whole bottle of cranberry juice if you get the 250 mgs of cranberry pill....radi

CuriousGirl6000
10-06-2008, 01:49 PM
Pee Before AND After intercourse! Drink Lots of water & cranberry juice does help!

Your doctor can perscribe Macrobid to take after intercourse - it is a super strong antibiotic, so pick & choose your battles - you can not take it every time (or you will develop a tolorance to it). - when you have an extremely active or prolonged session, take 2 and that will kill anything that is lurking.

Super important, when you get a UTI, go to the doctor and get an antibiotic and FINISH the prescription! If you don't it will reoccur more often.

There are temporary pain relievers you can by over the counter - the pharmacy can help you.

Take it from one who knows - I get about 6 a year! I finally learned about Macrobid - thankfully!

Dark_Perversion
10-28-2008, 05:06 PM
From my personal mediacl experience (see profile) the "wipe from front to back" can be misleading. In a BM wipe from just below the opening of the urethra toward the back. Then place a small pad of tissure over the opening of the urethra, squeeze slightly to remove small droplets of urine and lift the pad away. When urinating only use the same tissue pad proceedure, moving from just under the urethra up and away. When urine is wiped from front to back across the vagina you can easily be looking at a vaginal infection like a yeast infection or worse.

The advice to drink cranberry juice and plenty of water is very good advice as well as wearing cotton panties. Please stop wearing panty hose ! They do not allow panties to "breathe" and "dry" properly if you leave a drop or two behind.

For those who like catheter play; know what you are doing !

Dark_Perversion

fantasien
10-31-2008, 11:22 PM
Thank you. i think i'll try out the cranberries first ;)

i love ur avatar pick. i want to be tied like that! or have sub tied up like that...