PDA

View Full Version : A True Hero

Ragoczy
08-30-2008, 12:10 PM
I'm a strong supporter of the United States military -- and by extension all volunteer military organizations around the world. I think that the men and women who volunteer to place their lives at risk to defend their countries and citizens are among that country's best and bravest.

Some of those men and women go above and beyond the duty they volunteered for, performing acts of such incredible bravery, heroism and self-sacrifice that they must be honored in some special way. In the United States, that award is the Congressional Medal of Honor.

The stories of Medal of Honor recipients are incredible. Men who throw their bodies onto grenades to save their comrades when they could have saved their own lives. Men who crossed the beaches of Normandy to relative safety and cover and then went back to lead others through the hail of gunfire -- over and over again.

One of the stories I've always used explain the type of bravery that earns this highest honor is of a helicopter pilot in Vietnam. He flew an unarmed supply helicopter.

During a heavy firefight, the infantry commander on the ground, whose men were under intense attack and low on supplies, closed the landing zone because it was too dangerous. Understand this: the guy on the ground who was being shot at and needed supplies and evacuation of his wounded men said: "Don't land, don't try to help us, it's too dangerous for you."

The medical evacuation helicopters refused to enter the area due to intense enemy fire.

The pilot of this unarmed supply helicopter went in anyway to land supplies and evacuate wounded. Then he went back ... fourteen times.

That pilot was Captain Ed W. Freeman and I'm saddened because he passed away August 20th. http://www.cmohs.org/recipients/recent_dep_cit.htm

You may not approve of whatever conflict your country is involved in -- you may object to the concept of war in general, but there are wolves out there in the dark and these men and women are willing to put themselves between those wolves and your door.

For that willingness, they deserve your respect and their deeds deserve your remembrance.

mkemse
08-30-2008, 12:45 PM
I'm a strong supporter of the United States military -- and by extension all volunteer military organizations around the world. I think that the men and women who volunteer to place their lives at risk to defend their countries and citizens are among that country's best and bravest.

Some of those men and women go above and beyond the duty they volunteered for, performing acts of such incredible bravery, heroism and self-sacrifice that they must be honored in some special way. In the United States, that award is the Congressional Medal of Honor.

The stories of Medal of Honor recipients are incredible. Men who throw their bodies onto grenades to save their comrades when they could have saved their own lives. Men who crossed the beaches of Normandy to relative safety and cover and then went back to lead others through the hail of gunfire -- over and over again.

One of the stories I've always used explain the type of bravery that earns this highest honor is of a helicopter pilot in Vietnam. He flew an unarmed supply helicopter.

During a heavy firefight, the infantry commander on the ground, whose men were under intense attack and low on supplies, closed the landing zone because it was too dangerous. Understand this: the guy on the ground who was being shot at and needed supplies and evacuation of his wounded men said: "Don't land, don't try to help us, it's too dangerous for you."

The medical evacuation helicopters refused to enter the area due to intense enemy fire.

The pilot of this unarmed supply helicopter went in anyway to land supplies and evacuate wounded. Then he went back ... fourteen times.

That pilot was Captain Ed W. Freeman and I'm saddened because he passed away August 20th. http://www.cmohs.org/recipients/recent_dep_cit.htm

You may not approve of whatever conflict your country is involved in -- you may object to the concept of war in general, but there are wolves out there in the dark and these men and women are willing to put themselves between those wolves and your door.

For that willingness, they deserve your respect and their deeds deserve your remembrance.

I agree you do not have to support any conflict, you do need to support those fighting in them

denuseri
08-30-2008, 01:01 PM
His sacrifice and that of so many others, thier bravey on our behalf should never be forgotten.

I am honored to be the daughter of a marine and married to a man who also served his country with distinction in our military.

I may deplore warfare in all its forms, but i cant help but respect those who put thier lives on the line to protect us.

Thorne
08-30-2008, 08:03 PM
I'm with you 100% on this one. So many serve so honorably to protect us, regardless of the political machinations which place them in harm's way. They deserve every ounce of our thanks and respect.

In the same vein, I would place police officers and firefighters among those deserving of honor. They, too, risk their lives every day to serve their communities, and in my opinion they get far less respect than they deserve.

Regarding Captain Freeman: I wonder if he was the inspiration for the pilot in the movie "We Were Soldiers" who performed the same kind of feats. I know the book that the movie was based upon was a true story. Could it have been him?

Ragoczy
08-31-2008, 07:35 AM
Regarding Captain Freeman: I wonder if he was the inspiration for the pilot in the movie "We Were Soldiers" who performed the same kind of feats. I know the book that the movie was based upon was a true story. Could it have been him?

I don't know if it was based on him. What's most incredible to me is that the act isn't unique -- the MOH citations are amazing to read (http://www.history.army.mil/moh.html). If they put some of these things in a movie, you'd swear it could never happen.

DIXIE LASS
08-31-2008, 01:39 PM
I say right on, Ragcozy, not only to you but all who replied positively. You are right, the stories about Medal of Honor recipients are truly amazing.
You must also have one very large set of brass balls to post what you did on here. I've noticed that lots of posters, when discussing political issues, have a very noticeably leftish leaning. If you get hammered, I'd be honored to be your friend. That took a lot of guts.

DIXIE LASS
08-31-2008, 01:41 PM
OOPS! Sorry for spelling your name wrong.

Thorne
08-31-2008, 06:42 PM
You must also have one very large set of brass balls to post what you did on here. I've noticed that lots of posters, when discussing political issues, have a very noticeably leftish leaning. If you get hammered, I'd be honored to be your friend. That took a lot of guts.

I think you'll find that there are quite a lot of "leftish leaning" posters almost anywhere you go. They always seem to be the most vocal about the topics they post on. I think it's a case of, "If I'm loud enough and annoying enough people will think I'm right!"

There are quite a lot of us center-of-the-road types, too. And, naturally, we are always right. Or left. Or somewhere in the middle, I guess.

denuseri
09-01-2008, 01:45 AM
Patriotism and honor are not conditional to political afiliation.

Dr_BuzzCzar
09-22-2008, 04:25 PM
I

Cpt. Bruce Crandall was the pilot that was referenced in Gen Moore's book and the movie. The story of LZ X-Ray and the troopers that fought there were legendary to us new "FNG" Skytroopers that came to VN later. I met Gen Moore at a book signing in San Antonio, TX. He still impresses the hell out of me.

Normally, I'd sign my name as well as units but being as this is a BDSM site I'll not do that, so here's who I served with:
1/5, 1st Cavalry Division
AnKhe, Bong Son, RVN 1966-67

18th Brigade, IFFV Nha Trang, RVN 1967-68

Thorne
09-22-2008, 08:12 PM
Cpt. Bruce Crandall was the pilot that was referenced in Gen Moore's book and the movie. The story of LZ X-Ray and the troopers that fought there were legendary to us new "FNG" Skytroopers that came to VN later. I met Gen Moore at a book signing in San Antonio, TX. He still impresses the hell out of me.

Normally, I'd sign my name as well as units but being as this is a BDSM site I'll not do that, so here's who I served with:
1/5, 1st Cavalry Division
AnKhe, Bong Son, RVN 1966-67

18th Brigade, IFFV Nha Trang, RVN 1967-68

I knew the story was based on a true event, though I wasn't familiar with the particulars until after I saw the movie. I wasn't sure whether they were using the real peoples' names or not. Thanks for the update. I have a lot of respect for all who served, and still serve, especially during that era. I was eligible for the draft myself in late 1968, but I got lucky and wasn't called up. I would have gone if drafted, but I can't say I'm sorry I didn't have to. I know a couple of guys who didn't come back, and a couple who came back in body, but not in spirit. And some who came back and made something of themselves. Regardless, they all deserve our respect and gratitude.

As do you. Thank you.