PDA

View Full Version : Walk in the Park

MMI
09-19-2008, 09:51 AM
From the Shropshire Star: Council staff on the lookout for paedophiles have been ordered to stop and quiz any adults found walking in Telford Town Park without a child, it was revealed today.

Anyone who wants to go to the park but is not accompanied by at least one youngster will have to explain why they are there.

Telford campaigners battling to retain full public access to the park today branded the policy “draconian” and “authoritarian madness” but the council defended the policy, claiming it had a responsibility to “protect the vulnerable”.

=====================

I was tempted to link this to a previous thread on peadophiles, but instead, I just invite comment.

Thorne
09-19-2008, 01:22 PM
Is this park primarily a playground? Then it may be understandable. Adults really would have no business there except for watching out for their kids.

Or are there walking trails? In that case, they are essentially casting the taxpayers, who I presume paid for the park, as potential hazards, unable to enjoy their own park without being interrogated.

Either way, it's certainly frightening. And what about those adults who are with children? Wouldn't they be just as likely to be pedophiles?

And if a child should fall and her father brushes the dirt off her pants, shouldn't they arrest and interrogate him as a possible abuser?

People have gone way overboard on this issue. It's getting to the point where even smiling at a child can get you into trouble.

MMI
09-19-2008, 03:12 PM
Is this park primarily a playground?

The Telford Town Park website says the following:

Right in the heart of Telford, only minutes from the busy shopping centre, is Telford Town Park. The Park is a very special place. Here you will find something to interest or amuse everyone.

It combines all the leisure and fun facilities you would expect to find in a traditional town park with all the informality of a country park. No matter where you wander in the 170 hectares, you will discover something new and different to see throughout the seasons.

It's getting to the point where even smiling at a child can get you into trouble.

Funny you should say that. BBC Radio 2 was discussing the place of men in the British education system this very afternoon, and one listener phoned in to say that a man had smiled at her child and the first thing that had gone through her mind was, is he a pervert?

I admit I smile at children - I wonder if I should stop. It would be such a shame if I had to.

lucy
09-24-2008, 11:15 PM
Considering that most children which are aboused are not abused by "that evil man in a black coat somewhere out there" but by a member of their own family (or somebody else rather close to the child) this policy seems to be pretty stupid.
But then again, as a politician you probably won't get elected again if you tell your voters that you think they're all suspect pedophiles.

MMI
09-25-2008, 03:36 PM
I'm in the clear! I never abused my sons. Even they admit it!

lucy
09-26-2008, 12:00 AM
I'm in the clear! I never abused my sons. Even they admit it!
lol