PDA

View Full Version : Just wondering??

Dea Menrfa
05-28-2008, 11:17 AM
Hi all,

Just wondering, as a newbie... all the different notes beneath people's user IDs... quite a few say Banned. Does this mean they are no longer on the forum, or is it something else?

At first I thought people were placing the word there themselves as a joke, but see it so often now, I'm just questioning it. One other forum I am a member of allows users to select their own words beneath their user IDs... so that's why I'm confused.

Thanks!

Lamb2005
05-28-2008, 11:33 AM
I have been wondering the same thing

tessa
05-28-2008, 12:16 PM
If I remember correctly, having a "Banned" label means the Admins put it there, for different reasons (flaming, no birthdate given, asked to be banned, just plain out fugly...ok, just kidding on that last one), and that particular persona is no longer allowed into the site.

If I didn't remember correctly, someone will come along soon and say it rightly.

:wave:

Dea Menrfa
05-28-2008, 12:29 PM
Thanks tessa - I don't have a birthdate in my stats because I don't want to come up in some search engine if someone puts my date of birth in google.

gemmy
05-28-2008, 12:30 PM
^^^ I think you have it there - they've been banned from the forum for some indescretion or infraction that the Admins have deemed unfit.

Although, I imagine if you were trying to be a smart-ass you could add it yourself as well since the option to change your title is up to you in your UserCP ;)

Dea Menrfa
05-28-2008, 12:47 PM
Happy Birthday gem!

My two favorite people are Geminis. :)

crazy_grrluk
05-28-2008, 01:03 PM
the term BANNED under a person's name is there because for some reason that person has been banned from the site. and their IP has been logged and blocked.

hope that helps a wee bit more

Dea Menrfa
05-28-2008, 01:16 PM
Thanks crazy_grrluk

thrall
05-28-2008, 01:20 PM
OK........lmao........p.l.ease don't tell me i have to worry about this now.... the next big thing is having "banned envy".........???????

ROTFLMFAO!

thepast
05-28-2008, 04:51 PM
Ok... let me clarify here.

Banned under the name = banned from the site. Period. They did something that warranted a ban & an admin banned them out. They aren't allowed back.

Now, there are some users from years ago who can't get into the site because when they registered, no DOB was required & now is. However, 99.99% of members have a DOB at registration--they may just choose not to show it in their public profile.

Hope this clears it up.

~delia

Dea Menrfa
05-28-2008, 05:22 PM
Ah, okay cool. So when I signed up, I had to put my bdate in the form, but chose not to have it advertised?

So I'm safe? :)

Tojo
05-28-2008, 05:40 PM
I think there's the odd person who puts 'banned' under their name for a laugh sometimes. :rolleyes:

tessa
05-28-2008, 08:45 PM
So I'm safe? :)

Safe?? Here???

~laughs wildly~

And you're quite welcome. :wave:

Alex Bragi
05-28-2008, 11:25 PM
I think there's the odd person who puts 'banned' under their name for a laugh sometimes. :rolleyes:

Yes, you're right, I'm sure I've seen a few of those too. Maybe it's like thrall says, it's "banned envy". *gg*

fetishdj
05-29-2008, 12:31 AM
What may be confusing is the fact that any changes to the profile are retrospective in that they apply to all posts made by a person that is on the forum rather than merely applying to any subsequent ones. So, if you change your sig file then all the posts by your username will have the new sig file. So you may be seeing banned a lot because all the posts made by people who are banned still exist in the database and can be read and they all have banned on them. And as this forum has a quite large post turnover many of the banned people had a large post count so the probability of seeing a post from a banned member is actually quite high relatively speaking (relative to, for example, finding an available straight Domme which I admit is not saying much :) ).

Shadoww
08-27-2008, 01:52 AM
Reading this thread http://www.bdsmlibrary.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15636&highlight=banned
I wondered: if those members are not welcome anymore, shouldn't their posts be removed as well?
Or is it an additional penalty, making sure that all members notice their ban?
Just asking here!!

Torq
08-27-2008, 01:56 AM
Simple, members or shall I say ex-members are banned for violations of the Forum/Chat guidelines.

Their threads/posts are not removed simply due to both the time to do the task and the fact that most posts are still part of the 'discussion' of the thread.

Be well
T

Shadoww
08-27-2008, 02:40 AM
Thanks for the quick answer. The posts I read of some banned members made me wonder why they were banned. Also wonder if knowing what caused their ban would made me read with different eyes. Therefore thought it best to not have to read them at all.

Perhaps it would be an option to state why an ex-member is banned? May they present their view?
I do not want to question an individual ban, but it seems fair to the (new) members (and ex-member?) to know what happened. Or would that cause to much debate? Such is not my intention!

amosse85
08-27-2008, 03:16 AM
Keep in mind that the forum threads you read on rendered dynamically on-demand from a number of database tables. So all posts by a banned user will reflect his or her banned status, despite likely being unrelated to the ban.

Shadoww
08-27-2008, 09:49 AM
Keep in mind that the forum threads you read on rendered dynamically on-demand from a number of database tables. So all posts by a banned user will reflect his or her banned status, despite likely being unrelated to the ban.

More reason to remove posts or tell what happened I think. There a so many banned posts that is impossible to find out by reading them all.
Is only my opinion and suggestion. I repeat: I do not want to question a ban or policy.

Torq
08-27-2008, 11:04 AM
Again two reasons first again to time comsuming, second the reason a member is banned is not discussed.

Be Well
T

Shadoww
08-27-2008, 11:19 AM
Again two reasons first again to time comsuming, second the reason a member is banned is not discussed.

Be Well
T

Thank you.. I clarify: have read posts that made me think poster is nice person (will not give example). Banned sign makes me doubt: nice persons don't get banned.
Thus my question and suggestion. Understand time problem (perhaps someday automatic search and remove possible?). And ban is delicate topic so will leave it at this.
Thanks again for your time and answer.

Torq
08-27-2008, 11:28 AM
However in the "internet" world we live in there are times even when "good people" either go astray or at times are lead astray.
In addition once posted all posts, threads, pics, etc not only become "property" of the Library but in reality become "open" to billions on the net.

Be Well
T

Shadoww
08-27-2008, 11:41 AM
However in the "internet" world we live in there are times even when "good people" either go astray or at times are lead astray.
In addition once posted all posts, threads, pics, etc not only become "property" of the Library but in reality become "open" to billions on the net.

Be Well
T

I agree. But the poster never intended the banned sign added to it. That makes a difference. For poster and reader.
Looked at those posts again. But that banned sign looks a bit like a pubic pillory to me. To billions on the net.
Will not be the intention, but it has that effect on me while reading.

Torq
08-27-2008, 11:46 AM
Oh well,, Such is life. Maybe the banned member should of thought about that prior to breaking the rules.

If it offends you simply don't read it, that is your right.

Be Well
T

DIXIE LASS
09-22-2008, 10:38 PM
1. Just exactly what gets a member banned? Please be specific. I have called myself looking on the sticky threads and even used the search engine but I still don't understand what great big taboo "no-nos" result in banning. One member asked several weeks ago but the thread seemed to deteriorate into lots of hem-hawing around and the question never was answered. Maybe I've been looking for the answer in the wrong place. Or maybe I just don't understand subtleties----- please expound in simple terms. How can I keep from doing something wrong if I don't know what it is?

2. Is a member warned about a violation first and given an opportunity to straighten up or do ya'll just cut their head off and hit the "banned" button? (no, I didn't mean to sound like a smart-ass)

3. If a member is banned, is it for various amounts of time depending on the nature/seriousness of the crime or is it permanent?

4. How many people render a decision? A week or so ago there was a thread started about Evangelicals that went on and on and on until just 2-3 days ago. My normal personal response to something like that is to get off that page and go read something else. I guess I got hooked on that one because I was already formulating these questions I am asking now. Anyway, my opinion was that this thread was incredibly flaming, especially in that particular forum. Furthermore, on top of the subject matter, there were other "problems" that I don't feel free to divulge here as I would probably be considered "flaming". I guess the point I'm trying to stumble around and make is that I kept waiting for someone to put that baby out of it's misery, using "flaming" as a tactful excuse. I waited in vain for what seemed to be an interminable amount of time. So, who decides what flaming is and how long do you let it go on? Or, do you ever decide to move something to a more appropriate venue? (no, I am NOT an Evangelical)

Sorry for such a long post and so many questions. I've waited a while to write this just because I knew it was going to be rambling. Also, it was hard to clarify the 4th question(s) without inadvertently stepping on sensitive toes. Hey, I might even be asking in the wrong forum myself.

IAmCanadian
09-22-2008, 10:53 PM
2. Is a member warned about a violation first and given an opportunity to straighten up or do ya'll just cut their head off and hit the "banned" button?

I was given a warning before being banned. As a result, I changed my behaviour. In the end, I didn't get banned.

I suppose it depends on the violation.

- FS

Torq
09-22-2008, 11:13 PM
Simply follow the Guidelines as posted and there won't be an issue,,TY

# 1 Rule RESPECT

Be Well
T

shyslut
09-26-2008, 12:33 AM
Ive been hanging out around this board for a few weeks reading. I seem to notice a large amount of people with the word banned in there avatar. If they are actually banned I find it so surprising to see so many lol

So im wondering if someones name says banned are they really banned or am i missing something?? Is it me or is there are large number of bannees on this site compared to others?

Also i go back and read recent posts etc of many profiles and except in a few instances see no reason for the person to be banned. So if its not posts that are getting people banned what else does normally? Hrm maybe a mod question lol

Yea maybe im too curious but its been bothering me for a few days lol

Thanks!!

angela_shy
10-14-2008, 12:30 PM
me too.. what does it all mean... lol

davesmistress
10-14-2008, 12:40 PM
Bans are not usually something that is posted for all to see..... They are kept between the Admins and the Member involved if at all possible.

Alot of times the threads are still active enough to leave to be posted in.

blythe spirit
10-14-2008, 04:18 PM
It could be that it's not due to a post, shy, but perhaps a private message where they have harrassed a certain member. *shrugs* I don't know if you can be banned in the forums because of something you did in chat, but that too could be a possibility.

Torq
10-14-2008, 06:21 PM
OK, folks as you can see merged multiple threads here, all on same old subject.

To clarify once again members or shall I say ex-members are banned for multiple reasons,,NONE of which are discussed publically. Some bans are for rules violations, others for chat room issues, and others for private reasons. Regardless the reason the issue is dead once members is banned.

In addition of late we (i.e. the site) is being bombared with "spammers" and in order to keep a site free of virus and pop-ups ALL spammers are banned instantly!!!

Also as has been said over an over most don't ever see the actual reason for the ban, because its simply removed as to not cause additional "issues" and the offending member is talked to in private, or if issue is serious enough simply banned.

ALWAYS remember this site has Guidelines/Rules to follow there very easy simple rules. Number 1 being RESPECT. Follow the rules and the ban issue is a mute point.!

Be Well

T

the_moirae
10-14-2008, 06:33 PM
Man, I'm so tempted to label myself as "banned." Wonder what that says about me... :)