PDA

View Full Version : List of Areas of Expertise

Dslave
06-27-2004, 09:14 AM
I was wondering if there was a place anywhere on the site where people actually have listed their area of skill or expertise? In other words, if there is someone that was considered an expert on Japanese Bondage ropework and knotting, they would be on the list and others could refer to that person specifically if they had a question in that specific area. Just was wondering if there was such a list floating around here and if there isn't would anyone think it would be a good idea to start one? I think it would be a good idea because then people could seek out the person with the most knowledge on their particular dilemna.

slavelucy
06-28-2004, 05:47 AM
Hmmm...*thinking*...i'm not sure i like that idea. Whilst i see the thinking behind it, i can't help but feel it would become more like the Yellow Pages than a discussion forum. In addition, i'm not convinced a great many of the things we discuss on here could be easily 'categorized', if you see what i mean...for instance, who would we class as the 'ethical considerations in BDSM' expert?! (LOL)...and what if someone considered themselves an expert but no one else did?! :D

Plus, i also think that as you get to know people on here, you kinda pick up on things they know about and could PM then anyway, should you wish to.

sl

Dslave
06-28-2004, 06:49 AM
I understand that. Though, was thinking of it more for the main site in general than the board specifically. And, I was also thinking about more physical and solid things (as I mentioned the rope bondage, there could be several categories that aren't as ethereal or vague as "ethical considerations"). I am not talking about giving people help with their conscience, I am just talking about actual skills of the trade. Some are more skilled than others, some have more experience than others, and I just think it would be nice to have them all in one place so that the list could be reffered to if there were a particular question involving that specific skill. But, if it isn't an idea that anyone is interested in, that is ok. It was just a suggestion. I guess, I just like to have things at my fingertips. LOL

SirW
06-28-2004, 07:58 AM
I am not talking about giving people help with their conscience, I am just talking about actual skills of the trade. Some are more skilled than others, some have more experience than others, and I just think it would be nice to have them all in one place so that the list could be reffered to if there were a particular question involving that specific skill.

How about people listing the things they have experience in (Japanese rope tying, suspension, knife play, etc.) in their Profile. Then if you were interested in asking someone about a specific topic you could go and check out the profile. This way the information is there and it is still private (sort of). Now obviously this means you need to peruse a lot of profiles, but truthfully, you would probably only check those out that either post a bit or those that sound like they know something about a topic.
Just a suggestion. And in keeping with actions talk louder than words I am going to update my profile today.

SirW

BDSM_Tourguide
06-28-2004, 10:39 AM
People could just post questions and have them aswered by other people that know what they're talking about. Or would that be too simple?

slavelucy
06-28-2004, 01:14 PM
I understand that.

*smiles* i didn't say you didn't understand it, i merely said that those were the reasons why i didn't like the idea.

Also, i don't recall saying that we required an expert to 'help people with their conscience' (a slight sweeping reference to 'ethical considerations') what i meant was that not all issues inherant in BDSM are necessarily of a wholly physical and pratical nature; you only have to read through these forums to see that.

Incidentally, having given it more thought, i also think it would preclude an awful lot of discussion and would merely become like going to the doctors, in that anyone that didn't class themselves as a an 'expert' in the subject (either genuine or just not that arrogant!) could potentially feel like they couldn't contribute.

i do see what you mean about 'information at your fingertips' (*grin*), but generally i would concur with TG...surely it's just simpler to post a question and get it answered by people who feel they are able to answer.

sl

Dslave
06-28-2004, 05:32 PM
i do see what you mean about 'information at your fingertips' (*grin*), but generally i would concur with TG...surely it's just simpler to post a question and get it answered by people who feel they are able to answer.

That's fine. Again, it was just a thought.

My only real reason for the list is that sometimes it is difficult to tell who is the expert and who isn't on a subject in the forums and sometimes the experts may not post or even view the forums that often because their real lives can get pretty intense. Also, I would venture to say that there are a few lurkers out there with excellent skills that check their email daily but only check the forums once in awhile. That is why I brought it up. But, hey, if a system works, why change it? :)