PDA

View Full Version : Something New

Mad Lews
10-12-2008, 08:50 AM
OK I admit it; a character building assignment at a bdsm website is dubious at best. You’ve both made the point and I suppose we should move on. Hows about plot? A simple elegant classic plot like… I don’t know let’s pick “overcoming the Monster” the classic from horror (Frankenstein, Beowulf etc.) to the adventure genre (Witch and the Wardrobe, Iliad, etc) Simple enough concept. Start with a hook that explains the monstrous danger and the hero/heroines call to action. Follow an initial reluctance with a developing urgency used to build tension, throw in a few near miraculous escapes, and work up a sense of impending doom followed by a climactic confrontation between the hero/heroine and the monster. With a skillful reversal of fortune defeat said monster and live happily ever after.

It’s easy everybody who writes has pulled off some version of this, the trick is to make the old plot line into a fresh and interesting story. In fact it’s too easy so let me throw in a few caveats.
Your protagonists are a witch named Elizabeth, at least they say she’s a witch, and the high sheriff Mr. Butler defender of the shire. The first one of you to respond gets to chose which one is the monster and which is heroic. Please let us know of your choice for the second place prize is writing the reverse , that is you must take the chosen monster and hero and reverse their roles. Historic background is up to you but make it as real as you think your audience wants.

As always, best of luck

Yours Madly
Lews

Razor7826
10-14-2008, 10:00 PM
So, we're each doing our own distinct stories, completely unrelated except which we define as the hero and monster are the opposite of the other's?

Do you want one lengthier story, or multiple short pieces? I have about 500 words so far with Elizabeth as the hero and the Sheriff as the monster.

Mad Lews
10-15-2008, 09:11 AM
So, we're each doing our own distinct stories, completely unrelated except which we define as the hero and monster are the opposite of the other's?

Do you want one lengthier story, or multiple short pieces? I have about 500 words so far with Elizabeth as the hero and the Sheriff as the monster.

Which means ER is stuck with a heroic sheriff and a monstrous witch. I would try to keep it in the 1500 to 5000 word range but I won't be a stickler on that.
Try to cover the basics of this type plot, define the threat, call the hero (usually reluctantly) into action, as only they can save the day. a few initial confrontations and setbacks make it seem all is lost, then in a climactic confrontation the good guy reverses her misfortune escapes a fate worse than death and saves the world as we know it. You might need a little more than 500 words but I'm sure you could pull it off under 2000.

Have fun with it.

Now Euryleia has a greater challenge and if I were her I'd consider useing humor to light the path. Somewhere between the Python's Holy Grail witches and Niel Gaiman's The Graveyard Book- Chapter 4- The Witch's headstone http://www.mousecircus.com/videotour.aspx- play off all our preconceived notions about witch trials and such. I'm sure she can do it. Doesn't mean you're not a bastard for making her do it, but you did respond first.

Best of Luck

Mad Lews

H Dean
10-16-2008, 01:31 PM
Now that you have something new you will need something borrowed and something blue.

Mad Lews
10-18-2008, 11:59 AM
Now that you have something new you will need something borrowed and something blue.

Well I did borrow a link to Mr Gaiman's book and the cover is blue...

Anybody seen Euryleia? did they get another hurricane down there?

H Dean
10-18-2008, 01:55 PM
I ain't seen hide nor hair of her in a coons age.

Euryleia
11-06-2008, 08:22 PM
I'm back and I will try to work on a heroic sheriff and monstrous witch.

Glad to know y'all missed me.

Mad Lews
11-07-2008, 06:37 AM
I'm back and I will try to work on a heroic sheriff and monstrous witch.

Glad to know y'all missed me.

Good luck on the muse hunt, check under the bed.
And yeah we were worried you might have flown the coop :)

Euryleia
11-08-2008, 01:20 PM
No worries. You can't get rid of me that easy!

Razor7826
12-18-2008, 02:07 PM
I haven't forgotten this, I swear. There's been a lot on my plate recently, so there is no ETA, but I do intend on finishing this assignment.

Mad Lews
12-20-2008, 10:08 PM
I haven't forgotten this, I swear. There's been a lot on my plate recently, so there is no ETA, but I do intend on finishing this assignment.

Seen and acknowledged.